Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I see people arguing that the leak was actually WB intentionally trying to ruin Zach Snyder because... something something?

Yeah I do not get this at all either; best case sabotage scenario is that you...get fewer viewers watching your platform AND you look incompetent. Great plan you got there.

EDIT: yeah I guess best case scenario is that a bunch of people pirate the movie and then don't watch your platform and then you get to say "I told you so"?? Still seems like a roundabout way to hurt a guy working for you

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I see people arguing that the leak was actually WB intentionally trying to ruin Zach Snyder because... something something?

People are suspicious because not only did they somehow manage to replace a film thats been up for several weeks already with one that isn't due for another week, someone also leaked both trailers before they were due, several big shot execs were revealed to have absolute poo poo judgement when they ratfucked Snyder and put in Geoff Johns and Whedon and released the frankenstein cut, and one has gotten very publically accused of aiding not only ratfuckery but also trying to sweep abusive and racist behavior under the rug by a black actor who got fired in retaliation

This is beyond the fact that during said black actors more explosive accusations, WB has reacted with misleading press releases, outright lying about a film that doesn't exist starring Jason Mamoa, and also prematurely announced Michael Keaton's involvement in the Flash Film several days before it was supposed to be revealed at their DC fandom event, in an attempt to divert attention from said black actors accusations.

A bruised ego and spite is more than enough motivation for people to commit some ratfuckery. It's not particularly difficult to spot a pattern here.

I'm not saying the leak was intentional, but I don't blame anyone for being suspicious.

In other related matters, Deborah Snyder said this in an Insider interview that caught my eye

There's been some questions about where the 70 million went to if not for additional scenes, and one chunk of that money went to unfuck the vfx on already existing footage, presumably Steppenwolfs, whose design was changed early on to the less spiky version we saw in the theatrical cut (with the motivation it was "less intimidating").

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The most competent run down I've seen is that WB have created a pattern only for ZSJL material. None of their other slates, not even WW84 had any kind of leaks. ZSJL has been leaked at every level, how can this be, when they control everything on their platform? Even the darkseid teasers weren't supposed to be up yet.

WB did not want the Snyder cut, AT&T went over their heads with HBO max and greenlit the project. Snyder has already mentioned how hard it was to get solid details on distribution.

The conspiracy is, the more leaks, the more bad word of mouth and lower numbers, so when the restorethesnyderverse calls get louder, because they already see them, they want Snyder to have less leverage in regards to even being considered to come back to the table. It's why they counter programmed with the black Superman announcement, with the side affect of knocking Fisher's claims.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I want to reitirate, they sent out a press release saying one of the people that Ray Fisher accused of misconduct, would work together with Mamoa, who worked with fisher on Justice League, on a film called Frosty the Snowman, to divert attention from Rays claims of misconduct.

This movie did not exist, it was made up wholesale, and they sent out that press release without mamoas permission.

https://popculture.com/celebrity/news/jason-momoa-calls-frosty-snowman-movie-report-fake-while-defending-justice-league-co-star/

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

McCloud posted:

I want to reitirate, they sent out a press release saying one of the people that Ray Fisher accused of misconduct, would work together with Mamoa, who worked with fisher on Justice League, on a film called Frosty the Snowman, to divert attention from Rays claims of misconduct.

This movie did not exist, it was made up wholesale, and they sent out that press release without mamoas permission.

https://popculture.com/celebrity/news/jason-momoa-calls-frosty-snowman-movie-report-fake-while-defending-justice-league-co-star/

Holy poo poo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

Yeah true, I forgot about this, its a good reminder of the idiotic poo poo a suit will do to gently caress someone over

(see also: releasing Justice League 2017)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

There's been some questions about where the 70 million went to if not for additional scenes, and one chunk of that money went to unfuck the vfx on already existing footage, presumably Steppenwolfs, whose design was changed early on to the less spiky version we saw in the theatrical cut (with the motivation it was "less intimidating").

I also remember us being told that the design was changing because the studio wanted it to be closer to the current design in the comics. If they were also worried about him being too intimidating they should have just put Jack Kirby's tall green hat on him.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the stuff about WB having a bit of an axe to grind against ZSJL makes me think back to a lot of stuff J Michael Straczynski said about how WB treated Babylon 5, which was basically treating it terribly, blaming the show for everything they could, and lying about several important things (like a warehouse fire destroyed all the original CGI material, which was why they couldn't remasted it - but it didn't)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

the stuff about WB having a bit of an axe to grind against ZSJL makes me think back to a lot of stuff J Michael Straczynski said about how WB treated Babylon 5, which was basically treating it terribly, blaming the show for everything they could, and lying about several important things (like a warehouse fire destroyed all the original CGI material, which was why they couldn't remasted it - but it didn't)

That last one is especially funny seeing as Youtube is filled with fan made recreations of the CGI that, thanks to the march of technology, look a shitload better than the original.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Huh and I wonder how much Babylon 5's remaster and resurgence is due to HBO and not whatever division of WB was in control of B5 previously. I sense a common thread here.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Snowman_McK posted:

That last one is especially funny seeing as Youtube is filled with fan made recreations of the CGI that, thanks to the march of technology, look a shitload better than the original.

they're fan-made, sure, but they're actually the original assets and files that WB had said were lost. someone leaked them to the guy who's recreating them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Julius CSAR posted:

Holy poo poo
Momoa literally tweeted something akin to "I see through this bullshit and you're not gonna buy me off with frosty the loving snowman I support my brother Ray"

Considering all the ratfucking, an embarrassed exec going "release the first hour so people can say it sucks/it's the same movie and no one will say I hosed up" is far from crazy.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Momoa literally tweeted something akin to "I see through this bullshit and you're not gonna buy me off with frosty the loving snowman I support my brother Ray"

quote:

THIS poo poo HAS TO STOP AND NEEDS TO BE LOOKED AT @ray8fisher AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO EXPERIENCED WHAT HAPPEN UNDER THE WATCH OF @wbpictures NEEDS PROPER INVESTIGATION I just think it’s hosed up that people released a fake Frosty announcement without my permission to try to distract from Ray Fisher speaking up about the lovely way we were treated on Justice League reshoots. Serious stuff went down. It needs to be investigated and people need to be held accountable. #IStandWithRayFisher aloha j

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I think a lot of the leak conspiracy stuff is just that, but at the same time this is an industry that bred *insert abusive power hungry and most likely racist sex pest here* so I dont put anything past studio execs and the poo poo theyll try for and because of money and power.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
major props to momoa for being the only major jl cast member to publicly support fisher

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

they're fan-made, sure, but they're actually the original assets and files that WB had said were lost. someone leaked them to the guy who's recreating them.

some of them would be, I'm sure. There are others I'm pretty sure are models built from scratch. Either way, it's an utterly ridiculous claim for WB to make.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

"I'm not broken.. and I'm not alone."
Cyborg's story is going to make me cry, confirmed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KVeezy3 posted:

I’ve read a bunch of tweets and posts from Iraq and Afghanistan vets saying that line really hit them hard.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

AccountSupervisor posted:

I think a lot of the leak conspiracy stuff is just that, but at the same time this is an industry that bred *insert abusive power hungry and most likely racist sex pest here* so I dont put anything past studio execs and the poo poo theyll try for and because of money and power.
One of said sex pests being ol' Joss Whedon himself

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KVeezy3 posted:

Reminder that Joss tossed that in the trash in favor of booyah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teagone posted:

Oh I was beaten earlier and didn't even realize, lmao. And yeah, maybe Perry and Swanwick are people MM has posed as... would be hilarious in retrospect with the scenes between Clark and Perry in BvS where a few of us jokingly mentioned Perry probably knows Clark is Superman and likes to give him poo poo lol.

I'm picturing Perry being an old buddy of MM who goes off fishing whole MM is standing in for him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remembered there being stories of cavalry officers eagerly promoting stories of tanks falling apart during WW1 to escape this obvious sign of their own clear redundancy. When you think of someone doing that, in an actual war, a war that you may not win otherwise, suddenly it doesn't seem crazy for a film exec to do something very stupid just to avoid admitting that they were very wrong about a film.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve read a bunch of tweets and posts from Iraq and Afghanistan vets saying that line really hit them hard.

It applies to pretty much anyone differently abled or not neurotypical. Hell, it even applies to trans/queer folks who for years may have thought something was wrong with them.
It certainly got me a bit emotional

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Youtube video guy Dan Olson did a video about the Snyder Cut like 6 months before it was announced, and said the reason he didn't think it would see the light of day in a finished form (though he speculated it may go on HBO Max) was that the people who would decide whether to release it were the same people who would look bad either way by releasing it- it's good and they look like fools for butchering it in the first place, or it's bad and they look like fools for throwing good money after bad to polish a turd; on that same logic I guess I could see those same people trying to save some face by diluting whatever impact the film's release might have with leaks or whatever. I have no idea if WB suits are in a position to have someone upload the wrong video file when they put up a new version of Tom & Jerry though. It could equally be some guy working there who got the wrong video file (I-possibly naively-assume some version of uploading a video file to a server happens at streaming services; who uploads them and how are they labelled?) maybe a Snyder superfan wanting to share it a bit early, or one of the haters hoping a few out of context scenes make it onto twitter so everyone can say it's clearly poo poo because Superman looks so angry. It's interesting either way; I don't think I've heard of a streaming service loving up in this way before

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, Ray Fisher even retweeted a few of them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

2house2fly posted:

Youtube video guy Dan Olson did a video about the Snyder Cut like 6 months before it was announced, and said the reason he didn't think it would see the light of day in a finished form (though he speculated it may go on HBO Max) was that the people who would decide whether to release it were the same people who would look bad either way by releasing it- it's good and they look like fools for butchering it in the first place, or it's bad and they look like fools for throwing good money after bad to polish a turd; on that same logic I guess I could see those same people trying to save some face by diluting whatever impact the film's release might have with leaks or whatever. I have no idea if WB suits are in a position to have someone upload the wrong video file when they put up a new version of Tom & Jerry though. It could equally be some guy working there who got the wrong video file (I-possibly naively-assume some version of uploading a video file to a server happens at streaming services; who uploads them and how are they labelled?) maybe a Snyder superfan wanting to share it a bit early, or one of the haters hoping a few out of context scenes make it onto twitter so everyone can say it's clearly poo poo because Superman looks so angry. It's interesting either way; I don't think I've heard of a streaming service loving up in this way before

If they were going to hurt the film with the Tom and Jerry thing being a leak, wouldn't it make more sense to just leak the file of the whole movie? That would do a lot more to decrease how many people view it through hbo max.

I mentioned this story to a friend and he pointed out recently he had been encountering random glitches on hbo max. He was watching one episode of a show and it was playing audio from the previous episode. They are probably just having a bunch of tech issues.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Clearly the VFX people leaked it so they could get some feedback and tighten up the graphics over the next week.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Martman posted:

Clearly the VFX people leaked it so they could get some feedback and tighten up the graphics over the next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

KVeezy3 posted:

Honestly, it's the thing I'm most excited for. As long as I get a solid Cyborg story, I don't care about the movie around it. And I have barely any knowledge of Cyborg as a character, I was so disheartened when I heard what happened to his character in the Whedon cut.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Honestly, it's the thing I'm most excited for. As long as I get a solid Cyborg story, I don't care about the movie around it. And I have barely any knowledge of Cyborg as a character, I was so disheartened when I heard what happened to his character in the Whedon cut.

As a side note if you want to see a solid Cyborg story I really recommend giving The Doom Patrol TV series a shot. It does a fantastic job with Cyborg and is probably one of the high water marks of a depiction of his character that isn't the somewhat goofy Teen Titans animated version.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

2house2fly posted:

I have no idea if WB suits are in a position to have someone upload the wrong video file when they put up a new version of Tom & Jerry though.

This is where it passes from plausibility for me, as a conspiracy Walter Hamada or whoever can't just nav over to the HBO max management page and click the "leak snyder" button, and if he did it'd show up in some log when they went to figure out what went wrong. So if it were the case there'd be a whole stack of people who knew and would be able to leak it, and given that it's being blamed on their incompetence have a motive to do so.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't believe there was any malice for the Tom and Jerry thing. poo poo happens, uploads get hosed up.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

I don't believe there was any malice for the Tom and Jerry thing. poo poo happens, uploads get hosed up.

HBOMAX specifically sucks, too. Slow as hell, serves the wrong movie often (usually one to the right or left of what I picked, but not always.)

Kinda disheartened to see the number of people on this forum willing to entertain the conspiracy theory idea, but as I said, the internet breaks people. For the record, if it had been ripped to a torrent site or something, I'd absolutely buy that as intentional sabotage.

Still, I haven't seen anyone here claim that Snyder's daughter's death was somehow nebulously engineered by Disney, so goons aren't as awful as twitter weirdos.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HBOMax also has like zero discoverability. It's hard to find anything on it.

Also they have an exclusive deal with Samsung so if you have a different brand of smart tv gently caress you you're gonna need an external device taking up a precious hdmi port.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

HBOMax also has like zero discoverability. It's hard to find anything on it.

This is on purpose with streaming services, they desperately want to hide how small their catalogue actually is. Even when it isn't actually small. What isn't poo poo because of laziness and incompetence is poo poo on purpose.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They also piss me off because none of the poo poo on there has an expiry date listed. You don't want to watch Blade Runner right now? Too bad bitch, it's being taken down tomorrow but there's no way for you to know it. Presumably also on purpose because they ideally want people paying for the service but not using it, and if I know Blade Runner is being taken down in a week then I'm that much more likely to watch Blade Runner instead of forgetting I have HBO entirely

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, the full on Mad Max aesthetic complete with eccentric costumed warlords is completely fitting for post-apocalyptic superheroes.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm always astonished how much of making movies is still held together by duct tape. Those little wooden boxes, a little seat with a frilly pattern on it, and a cushion under Leto's foot and a guy holding it all by hand to make sure it's stable turns into the Joker sitting in a wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Sorry it’s a conspiracy imo. Already seeing a bunch of marvel stans on twitter use footage of it to talk poo poo and try to cause a counter narrative (and also they’re surprised at the resolution lol)