Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The resolution of Gon's search for his father being "He's such an unlovable prick that Leorio punching Ging in the face was enough to give Leorio a serious chance of being President of the Hunter Association" was so perfect I no longer get worked up for more HxH. It's interesting, I'd love to see what happens on the death point to horror town, but if it doesn't happen the series still managed to find the most awesome of all peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I saw 23 new posts and dreamed...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
hxh boat arc made me care abt manga pages that were literally just text in panel boxes, the true form of manga

also mob psycho is great, opens a bit slow but I genuinely cried at every ep of s2. it's so good..

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mulva posted:

The resolution of Gon's search for his father being "He's such an unlovable prick that Leorio punching Ging in the face was enough to give Leorio a serious chance of being President of the Hunter Association" was so perfect I no longer get worked up for more HxH. It's interesting, I'd love to see what happens on the death point to horror town, but if it doesn't happen the series still managed to find the most awesome of all peaks.

Much like YYH before it, I feel like the series found a perfect ending point and then just continued on even though it didn't need to. In this case, if it had stopped when Gon finally met Ging atop that big rear end tree, I would have been happy and content with this as a series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf while I’ve always been ambivalent towards the concept of Hisoka v Chrollo I’m really glad it happened after the election arc cause it makes Gotoh getting done dirty easier to swallow when you know Hisoka gets hosed aaaallllll the way up later.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Much like YYH before it, I feel like the series found a perfect ending point and then just continued on even though it didn't need to. In this case, if it had stopped when Gon finally met Ging atop that big rear end tree, I would have been happy and content with this as a series.

For YYH, was that after Dark Tournament or Chapter Black?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

No way it could end after Chapter Black, that whole arc was full of setup for the Three Kings arc.

In the anime that the Three Kings arc ended pretty drat well so it works for me. The only part I think everyone can agree wasn't particularly good with that arc was the tournament.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nonexistence posted:

Chapter Black for me. I feel like that was the perfect capstone for the series, and it didn't really need to go on further and the final arc proper felt kind of weak compared to both the dark tournament and chapter black. But I also really didn't like the final resolution to everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Given the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably bring Chrollo vs Hisoka forward to before THE BOAT, have Hisoka straight up die in that fight and finish the series where the anime ends.

Feels somewhat fitting thematically for HxH too. This is largely a series where people's goals/ambitions and dreams aren't fulfilled, or if they are, they're not all that and Hisoka getting what he wants but just getting owned would be like "yeah, that's HxH for you".

The boat is shaping up interesting, but it's hard to feel like it'll ever get finished and is pretty superfluous to the existing parts of HxH prior.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 11, 2021

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Chapter Black and Three Kings both feel like HxH arcs in different ways. CB was experimenting with new kinds of powers with the human psychics that in retrospect feels like a rough draft for nen, and 3K gave Togashi experience writing anticlimaxes and unsatisfying arc conclusions.

I'm kidding.

Kind of.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Given the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably bring Chrollo vs Hisoka forward to before THE BOAT, have Hisoka straight up die in that fight and finish the series where the anime ends.

Feels somewhat fitting thematically for HxH too. This is largely a series where people's goals/ambitions and dreams aren't fulfilled, or if they are, they're not all that and Hisoka getting what he wants but just getting owned would be like "yeah, that's HxH for you".

The boat is shaping up interesting, but it's hard to feel like it'll ever get finished and is pretty superfluous to the existing parts of HxH prior.

Idk, it’s probably a better written story that way but Hisoka getting owned cause of a fight he wanted so badly he missed loving Chimera Ant got it isn’t quite complete without him looking hosed all the way up in the aftermath and going on a petulant rampage because one of his toys was done playing around with him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Hisoka walking off into the distance reanimated out of pure petty spite and promising to murder all the Spiders is the best way to end that storyline if you had to cut it somewhere

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Eej posted:

Yeah Hisoka walking off into the distance reanimated out of pure petty spitethe power of rubber and gum and promising to murder all the Spiders is the best way to end that storyline if you had to cut it somewhere

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's also a pretty sweet ending for him, gotta admit.

My favourite anime pedo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That's also a pretty sweet ending for him, gotta admit.

My favourite anime pedo.

Can you be a pedo when your concept of sexuality is wholly divorced from a person's physical traits?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yes

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"I was attracted to their fighting spirit, and that's why I had a visible boner at the dodgeball tournament, your honor."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mff0aUIwYEU&t=2006s

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the pedophile defender has logged on

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Actually it's Murdephillia

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Can you be a pedo when your concept of sexuality is wholly divorced from a person's physical traits?

explain him checking out gon and killua's butts, then. hisoka wasn't exclusively a pedophile but he was absolutely still a pedophile.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

explain him checking out gon and killua's butts, then. hisoka wasn't exclusively a pedophile but he was absolutely still a pedophile.

:stare: I don't recall that at all. But yeah, deffo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No matter what Hisoka is everyone can agree that he is a huge creep.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
A friend of mine bought me a shirt with Hisoka and the word Gon on it for my birthday a few years back. I can't bring myself to wear it and I'm bummed out because he said he decided between that one and Netero's "Heart" shirt which would have been super rad

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Reiche posted:

A friend of mine bought me a shirt with Hisoka and the word Gon on it for my birthday a few years back. I can't bring myself to wear it and I'm bummed out because he said he decided between that one and Netero's "Heart" shirt which would have been super rad

He made the right choice.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

:stare: I don't recall that at all. But yeah, deffo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyon3z1KP8

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry thread.
Didn't intend for a is he really? debate to start.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was reading a thread about the Chimera Ant arc ending on gaming website known for loving Naughty Dog games too much and the vast majority of the people on there think that using the bomb was a cop-out and Meruem should have died in a straight shonen fight.

Another called Gon's power-up a typical shonen super saiyan move.

I'm genuinely curious as to how anyone can watch/read 130 episodes of HxH/300 issues of the manga and come to those conclusions???

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wanna say I’m shocked or whatever but nah, people have shut takes sometimes, I’ve heard people say that Chimera Ant was boring/overrated cause it spent too much time away from Gon/Killua and I don’t wanna tell people they watched/read a children’s cartoon/comic book wrong, but...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I mean, I definitely watched it wrong and expected bog-standard shonen throughout. The fight and the bomb were both really great, I was just hoping for a redemption arc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's clearly inspired by the famous super saiyan Goku moment. That's kinda the point, Togashi took a shonen trope and did his own, twisted, improved version. He established before that nen depends a lot on pure feeling and psyche and he established the pledge system, so it was less of a arbitrary powerup, and he made it more dramatic and with consequences.
In a way it's Togashi flexing, taking one of the most famous moments in shonen and saying 'no, this is how it is done'.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Broadly speaking I don’t think HxH is meant to be a deconstruction of shonen so much as it’s meant to be a story where everything that happens makes sense and that’s the end result, but Gon-san is definitely a deconstruction of the idea of spontaneously evolving to kill someone using the power of rage and grief and how well that should end up working out for the MC in practice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's written brilliantly, for the most part.

There's parts of HxH that fall flat and it's definitely too tell, not show at times but after everything Gon's gone through to meet that piece of poo poo dad of his and he throws it all away to murder Pitou? It's just tragic really.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Finished the wife’s watching last week, she loved all of it and is going through it again to catch things she missed. She wanted more of Kurapika and the Troupe though I explained that it’s coming, slowly, eventually, maybe.

Gon’s Pitou fight was long foreshadowed, he was always a kid with more power than sense. He shouldn’t get his nen back until he’s matured, a lot, or he’ll do it again. I’m thinking there will be a time skip while the boat group gets settled on the dark continent. Leorio finishes med school, Killua explores the world with Alluka, and Gon catches up on that homework.

(lol at thinking we’ll ever get that far)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leorio has gone for the apprenticeship route rather than continuing formal education. that's probably for the best, as he could only learn to be a conventional doctor there, as opposed to a weird hunter nen doctor.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I was reading a thread about the Chimera Ant arc ending on gaming website known for loving Naughty Dog games too much and the vast majority of the people on there think that using the bomb was a cop-out and Meruem should have died in a straight shonen fight.

I'm genuinely curious as to how anyone can watch/read 130 episodes of HxH/300 issues of the manga and come to those conclusions???

Some were calling it a subversion for subversion sake, not understanding the themes of the arc.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

leorio has gone for the apprenticeship route rather than continuing formal education. that's probably for the best, as he could only learn to be a conventional doctor there, as opposed to a weird hunter nen doctor.

I mean if Ging was correct about other things Leorio had been studying regarding Nen, he can literally punch cancer in the face so he's already a weird kind of nen doctor

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's merely a doctor who can use nen right now, not a nen doctor. that dog lady is unsettling but she has some amazing skills.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

It's clearly inspired by the famous super saiyan Goku moment. That's kinda the point, Togashi took a shonen trope and did his own, twisted, improved version. He established before that nen depends a lot on pure feeling and psyche and he established the pledge system, so it was less of a arbitrary powerup, and he made it more dramatic and with consequences.
In a way it's Togashi flexing, taking one of the most famous moments in shonen and saying 'no, this is how it is done'.

It also notably doesn't really accomplish anything positive. Gon isn't really protecting anyone by killing Pitou at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

And Pitou is the most changed/humanized/moralized/goodinized of the royal guard at that point.