Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SpacePig posted:

They still do jingles, you just forget them until something triggers them in your mind. You hear the word "farmers" or "liberty", or "buy" and "car" in the same sentence, and your brain is off to the races. They're just not as involved as they used to be.

“Liberty” used to say it five times. Now four. Some kind of ultra-Ur example of Banak-Tarski ear worms.

Snipe edit: Alfred Bester’s book “The Demolished Man” took place in a world of telepathic detectives. The richest man in the world wanted to commit a crime, and used the worst jingle produced by one of his companies’ marketing team because it was so annoying running in his head. It was a new trick by a non-telepath to shield his mind during the time up to, including, and after completing the crime. The jingle was touted as the first commercially produced earworm.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

When Pizza is on a bagel, you can eat pizza anytime!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AFewBricksShy posted:

What about bagels on a pizza?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

PIZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And for us 90s kids: Hooked on phonics worked for me, call 1-800-ABCDEFG!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Be cool about firrrrrre safety!
be cool

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Jingles can be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrEd3p_6XSs

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

PIZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://youtu.be/KOzS9Azg0Ag

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Locally "Four Four four. Four Four Four-Four Call Blake Maislen now"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AFewBricksShy posted:

Why that triggered this, I do not know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk33tGuBKwc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Apple Watch ECG commercial is stupid because the guy says he doesn't need a fancy machine to do it, except the Apple Watch is a fancy machine.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Iron Crowned posted:

What about bagels on a pizza?

Would you accept pizza on a bagel on a pizza?

Speaking of jingles, I'm not sure if Cellino and Barnes operated outside of New York state, but I still remember their old phone number (before they changed to just repeatedly mashing 8).

Like, I sometimes can't retain important stuff, but 854-20-20 will probably stay with me til I die.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's pizza-ception!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

SpacePig posted:

I still remember the mailing address for Nick in the Afternoon because it was set to a song. Jingles are both a great joy, and an inescapable hell.

Write to me, Stick Stickly
PO Box 963
New York City, New York State

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJE29gLplE

This is a very dumb commercial, but they also accidentally wrote a solid late career Devo song. It's pretty great how modern day capitalism is basically all the dark satires that were made in the 70s and 80s.

It's not actually great.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of jingles, I'm not sure if Cellino and Barnes operated outside of New York state, but I still remember their old phone number (before they changed to just repeatedly mashing 8).

Like, I sometimes can't retain important stuff, but 854-20-20 will probably stay with me til I die.

When pizza is on a bagel on a pizza.....

*head explodes*

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

LadyPictureShow posted:

RIP Barnes *pours a 40 out*

Cellino's solo jingle is ugly & annoying. :smith:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Locally we had "call 267 8433 because the next best thing to do, is dal-worth clean!"

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Can your dad not do his video chat right?

Don't get mad, get ETrade!

Because then, you can... buy a better dad? Or something?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Unkempt posted:

Can your dad not do his video chat right?

Don't get mad, get ETrade!

Because then, you can... buy a better dad? Or something?
It doesn't matter if a commercial has absolutely nothing to do with the product being advertised as long as you remember the name of the brand at the end. That's why we still get those loving GEICO commercials.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 11, 2021

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

YeahTubaMike posted:

RIP Barnes *pours a 40 out*

Cellino's solo jingle is ugly & annoying. :smith:

It’s really weird watching ad breaks and seeing an ad for Cellino followed by one for Barnes and hearing them try to use a jingle that’s close but not quiet the same.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BAG

ALERT

MAJOR BAG ALERT

:fuckoff:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Zaroff posted:

It’s really weird watching ad breaks and seeing an ad for Cellino followed by one for Barnes and hearing them try to use a jingle that’s close but not quiet the same.

The "funny" thing is that the Barnes Firm jingle is so much less obnoxious so it's like Barnes is owning Cellino from beyond the grave

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

LadyPictureShow posted:

Haha, drat, this is the jingle I was trying to remember yesterday, because their phone number was so horrifically incompatible with singing. "One hundred eiiiiiiiiiiiight...million!"

This was in California btw so they were definitely national.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh Oh Oh

O'Reillyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Auto Parts

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hey guys.

Now I have a friend in the diamond business. :smug:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
5. 5 dollar. 5 dollar foot loooooongs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Nationwide is on your side~

Chicken parm you taste so good :manning:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess companies have decided to stop using euphemisms as I just saw a commercial for a lady razor that just straight up said it was for pubic hair.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Millennials don't care and zoomers would be offended if you didn't just say it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I guess companies have decided to stop using euphemisms as I just saw a commercial for a lady razor that just straight up said it was for pubic hair.

Ive never seen something like that on TV but there’s a men’s pubic razor I’ve had hocked to me on YouTube where they straight up say it’s for shaving your balls.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
The other day I saw a razor commercial where the lady was actually shaving hair off her leg and armpit. It's about fuckin time.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Wendy's 'Major Bag Alert' can go straight to hell.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Maybe they’ll finally start dying the pad commercial fluid red instead of blue...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ive never seen something like that on TV but there’s a men’s pubic razor I’ve had hocked to me on YouTube where they straight up say it’s for shaving your balls.

Manscaped, I think? I remember when they were on Shark Tank a few years ago.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

hopeandjoy posted:

Maybe they’ll finally start dying the pad commercial fluid red instead of blue...
I think they've already started doing that. Someone here brought it up pages ago.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah them ballshavin' ads pop up on podcasts, too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

muscles like this! posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw a Pedialyte commercial featuring a hung-over protagonist too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pedialyte has several commercials that are targeted to adults.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, they've had commercials for sick adults, usually implied to be diarrhea or hung over depending on the ad without actually saying it, for a few years now. I think every one of them ends with "find it in the kids aisle!" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, they've had commercials for sick adults, usually implied to be diarrhea or hung over depending on the ad without actually saying it, for a few years now. I think every one of them ends with "find it in the kids aisle!" or something like that.

In civilized nations, it's stocked in the refrigerator at 7/11