Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tomfoolery posted:

I don't know what you are talking about, I am incredibly normal. I even have certifications from several agencies attesting to my normalcy.

So if you don't have any proof regarding my lack of normality, then please GET OUT

"Legally sane"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Is the daughter not his? Or does he have some problem with her? I don't get how he can be like "my son yeah I want to help him the best he can be my daughter is hosed and I don't care"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Is the daughter not his? Or does he have some problem with her? I don't get how he can be like "my son yeah I want to help him the best he can be my daughter is hosed and I don't care"

As described it reads like he just wants to make sure his spouse understands that his number is bigger than hers and doesn't care about anything else in the situation.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I mean, clearly the son is his and the daughter is his wife's. I mean, not biologically or anything--they're both biological children of the both of them. The son just belongs to him because he's the father and the kid is a son, and the daughter belongs to the mom because she's a woman and the daughter is a daughter. I mean, sure, he gives a poo poo about his daughter, but only barely.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Thanatosian posted:

I mean, clearly the son is his and the daughter is his wife's. I mean, not biologically or anything--they're both biological children of the both of them. The son just belongs to him because he's the father and the kid is a son, and the daughter belongs to the mom because she's a woman and the daughter is a daughter. I mean, sure, he gives a poo poo about his daughter, but only barely.

:lol: if dude is doing anything but using the son as a pawn to lord his "investment prowess" over his wife

He treats both kids equally in that he gives zero shits about both; he only cares about himself.

edit:

he wants nothing more than for the kids to resent each other over this so that he can blame that on his wife forever. Now that they both know the amounts, he can't hide it. So either the son resents the daughter for "stealing" his money, or the daughter resents the son for getting more.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 10, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tomfoolery posted:

I don't know what you are talking about, I am incredibly normal. I even have certifications from several agencies attesting to my normalcy.

So if you don't have any proof regarding my lack of normality, then please GET OUT
These certificates are raising a lot of questions that are clearly answered by the certificates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Did we start posting about NFTs here yet ?

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/05/974089381/whats-an-nft-and-why-are-people-paying-millions-to-buy-them

“"The underlying thing that you're buying is code that manifests as images," said Donna Redel, who teaches courses on crypto-digital assets at Fordham Law School. "You're buying a different format of art."”

Just.....no. Please no.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Did we start posting about NFTs here yet ?

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/05/974089381/whats-an-nft-and-why-are-people-paying-millions-to-buy-them

“"The underlying thing that you're buying is code that manifests as images," said Donna Redel, who teaches courses on crypto-digital assets at Fordham Law School. "You're buying a different format of art."”

Just.....no. Please no.

Reading this made me instantly angry.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Enos Cabell posted:

Reading this made me instantly angry.

...that I didn’t think of a way to sell copies of digital things that are literally identical to the ones that are free and can be obtained by right clicking but for thousands of dollars.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think I saw on twitter that there are ready bots stealing other people's artworks and registering them as NFTs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Only Star Citizen should be allowed to sell jpegs

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

In some ways, the NFT makes sense. It’s like the difference between owning the original Van Gogh and owning a print, but of course it’s being abused and it’s totally inflated.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s like the difference between owning the original Van Gogh and owning a print,

no, no it's not

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

A blockchain to establish provenance is certainly reasonable if we can track a Warhol or Picasso back to the first sale from the artist, but unless the NFT comes with income from the replay of the clip, just, why? A gifs folder covers that and I just can’t see myself respecting the status of someone who says they paid $50k for a clip of a shot.

Is this the next frontier of conspicuous consumption?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A blockchain is never reasonable.

Gonna go upload steamboat willie as an NFT and wait until Disney gets it, and every token in a chain including it, banned as copyright infringement.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's not even that: it's someone claiming they own something and writing a receipt on the ~immutable blockchain~ that shows you own something. The current bitcoin thread in YOSPOS is named "NFTs are just sales receipt fan fiction" because that's all it is. I can issue an NFT right now for the Mona Lisa. You can pay my NFT. Okay. Now that shows that you purchased the "rights" to something that some rear end in a top hat kw0134 sold to you...which is legally nothing. There's no legally recognizable claim to anything here. I can mint NFTs for every single post on this forum and if you're stupid enough to buy them from me, it shows that you are an idiot with too much money.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

it's those websites where you pay to name a star

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Me with turn of the century mustache: "as you can see by the immutable, irrefutable blockchain I own the Brooklyn Bridge..."

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

A blockchain is never reasonable.

Gonna go upload steamboat willie as an NFT and wait until Disney gets it, and every token in a chain including it, banned as copyright infringement.

An international Recorder’s office of art sales would also be great to establish who owns what like having a county recorder helps with records proving title to real estate.

If a blockchain gets people excited about it enough to create it, sure, but a central body that has people with enforcement power is really the important part, if the database is distributed or not doesn’t really impact the utility.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Mint.com sent me an email advertising those dumb things. Intuit is reading, analyzing and selling all my information and my feelings are a little hurt they'd think I would be into that.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Well now I’m thinking about college sports and can see wealthy alumni seeking to acquire these moments as something to talk about.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

lament.cfg posted:

it's those websites where you pay to name a star

Deeds to lunar real estate

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

In some ways, the NFT makes sense. It’s like the difference between owning the original Van Gogh and owning a print, but of course it’s being abused and it’s totally inflated.

Except for digital data is literally indistinguishable, that's fundamental to what makes it digital. The copy and the original are the same thing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Last time I came across nft, there was a dude that was selling single pixels, as in, a 1x1 image, as nft and presumably making bank

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Mint.com sent me an email advertising those dumb things. Intuit is reading, analyzing and selling all my information and my feelings are a little hurt they'd think I would be into that.

Mint repeatedly markets credit cards and accounts to me that I already have set up and linked in Mint.

I don’t think their analytics department is very good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Guinness posted:

Mint repeatedly markets credit cards and accounts to me that I already have set up and linked in Mint.

I don’t think their analytics department is very good.
same

"I see you have some transactions at merchant Costco in your account labeled Costco Anywhere Visa from Citibank. Perhaps you would be interested in this credit card offer from Citibank for a Costco Anywhere Visa?" - Dumb Mint analytics

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
Second time de-lurking during Mint chat to recommend Lunchmoney (unabashed referral link) for account tracking and/or budgeting - it's a paid service but extremely GWM because you escape the Mint analytics Skynet machine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Second time de-lurking during Mint chat to recommend Lunchmoney (unabashed referral link) for account tracking and/or budgeting - it's a paid service but extremely GWM because you escape the Mint analytics Skynet machine.

quote:

Made for you, the modern-day spender.
:v:

quote:

Trusted and loved across 30+ countries by many:

DIGITAL NOMADS

ENGINEERS

DESIGNERS

STARTUP FOUNDERS

HIGH-EARNING INDIVIDUALS

PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

:suicide:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

crazypeltast52 posted:

An international Recorder’s office of art sales would also be great to establish who owns what like having a county recorder helps with records proving title to real estate.

If a blockchain gets people excited about it enough to create it, sure, but a central body that has people with enforcement power is really the important part, if the database is distributed or not doesn’t really impact the utility.

The dude who has the painting on his wall is never going to care who the blockchain says "owns" it, and the courts won't either.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PraxxisParadoX posted:

hmm.. I've been using budgetwise I'm looking for alternative zero sum budgeting, YNAB is somewhat appealing and i've used it in the past wondering if there's any not 90/year solutions.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

NFT has the added benefit of wasting incredible amounts of electricity and thereby pumping more CO2 into the atmosphere to create them. Win-win!

DaveSauce posted:

:lol: if dude is doing anything but using the son as a pawn to lord his "investment prowess" over his wife

He treats both kids equally in that he gives zero shits about both; he only cares about himself.

edit:

he wants nothing more than for the kids to resent each other over this so that he can blame that on his wife forever. Now that they both know the amounts, he can't hide it. So either the son resents the daughter for "stealing" his money, or the daughter resents the son for getting more.

the best outcome is the kids recognize that neither is at fault and direct their resentment to their father who is exploiting this to make their mom look worse

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 10, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Tomfoolery posted:

From r/relationships:

AITA for not sharing son’s investment account with daughter?

This whole scenario got me to thinking about the similar investment structure my parents did for me and my 2 older siblings. The way it worked out with us is that it was an education fund, so when we turned 18 we would be given access to our portfolios to withdraw (sell stocks or take whatever dividends had accumulated over the years) to pay tuition for any post-secondary education we did. I never questioned the total amounts because the age differences between us kids was 7 years from eldest to youngest and the middle sibling being about 3.5 years between the two and by the time my brother had access I was still in elementary school and only thought about doing chores to get my allowance each week. My dad works in finance so I'm sure he was the one responsible for where money was getting invested but this scenario just sounds so goddamn toxic from all angles.

For some actual BWM content from my self-posting, my brother liquidated his portfolio to go to tradeschool for welding. He withdrew at not quite the end of the first semester, forfeiting any tuition refunds and then bought a brand new VW Golf. He ended up trading this Golf about 3 years later for a 15 year old truck because the Golf "didn't heat up fast enough in the winter" but all things being said he probably lost about 5 or 6k in the transaction because he just wanted rid of the Golf. This would've happened about 12 years ago so fast-forward to about 3 years ago and he buys a brand new Corolla because "gas is expensive, I can't drive my big diesel all the time".

What's worse is that in between those 2 big purchases I think he has gone through about 6 used trucks and I don't really know what he does that makes these vehicles die so fast, I think he's just cursed and keeps acquiring lemons

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

If there's anything I've learned about this forum I should badmouth NFTs for years and miss out on vast fortunes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if they keep going the way they are all that hypothetical money won’t do you any good anyway

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

tater_salad posted:

hmm.. I've been using budgetwise I'm looking for alternative zero sum budgeting, YNAB is somewhat appealing and i've used it in the past wondering if there's any not 90/year solutions.

I wanted to like lunchmoney, but YNAB feels so much better to me.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

PraxxisParadoX posted:

their website posted:

Plaid automatically syncs with your bank

Plaid is widely-used, safe, secure, and trusted by the biggest personal finance apps on the market.

welcome to the cyberhellscape of 2021, escaping one Skynet just means you get caught up in another

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

tater_salad posted:

i use aspire budgeting, a free google style sheet for zero sum budgeting. i think overall it's really neat, but of course the caveat is that you have to manually enter transactions, and it's a labor of love, so who knows how long the developer and the community will continue to make new versions and maintain the mobile app. i kind of enjoy manual transaction entry, so i've never considered going back to a paid service

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Alright money dorks, what would you do with a 16k inherited IRA currently sitting in a diversified array of accounts at Morgan Stanley? I am thinking the best worst move I could make is to buy a used truck. Any thoughts?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fasdar posted:

Alright money dorks, what would you do with a 16k inherited IRA currently sitting in a diversified array of accounts at Morgan Stanley? I am thinking the best worst move I could make is to buy a used truck. Any thoughts?
NFTs are hot hot hot, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Imagine if an NFT was minted for every post on this forum and you could buy and sell your favorite posts?

Makes you think.