Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Sounds like you want a flat bar bike, yes? Surly are good, a bit heavy, but good price points.

What sort of terrain are you mainly expecting to be on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My future bikepacking bike arrives tomorrow.

I'm mega hyped.

I have to do a camping gear audit (I don't have much stuff but I need to know what might be problematic).

Soon*

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's illegal to say your new bike is coming without telling us what bike it is

Biggus Duckus posted:

Sounds like you want a flat bar bike, yes? Surly are good, a bit heavy, but good price points.

What sort of terrain are you mainly expecting to be on?

Yup, flat bar definitely. never really liked drop bar even on purely road bikes.

Terrain is sorta hard to pin down. Definitely rough off road stuff so leaning towards something which is more mountain bike than gravel. I should of said i wanna put in 27.5+ 2.8 wheels/tyres on it, but also switch between 700c wheels too.

current bike in it's various forms. i actually love it but the frame is cheap and has no inbuilt rack mounts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Ogre or Troll will probably be the best fit for your description. My Ogre was a great bikepacking bike on and off-road.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

The Ogre or Troll will probably be the best fit for your description. My Ogre was a great bikepacking bike on and off-road.
IMO if you aren't a big person I would consider troll and ogre overbuilt for anything short of heavy loads. I have a troll and my friend has an ogre. They handle riding off road with 40lbs of junk strapped to them like a champ, but without the load it just is kind of a disappointing ride. I don't know how to objectively quantify it, but it just isn't as fun to ride as other rigid dirt frames.

e: if you like ogre style I think the ecr is pretty similar but less heavily built. Also the 650b bridge club might be fun.

e2: I'd also suggest going with vertical dropouts or thru axle over the track ends unless you plan to set it up single speed.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 10, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hemale in pain posted:

I've been running my mouth across the other bike threads. I figured I'd do an intro post once I have it since I'll be picking the thread's brain for mounting solutions on gear anyway.

it's this little fella

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/redwood

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I did always want a ogre! (mostly for the cool name) i'm leaning more towards the bridge club because the frame is about £150 cheaper here but i don't wanna make my decision entirely based on money.

big thing is that all my wheels are non-boost 135mm so i'd need an adapter piece to use them with a ogre while i think they'll go straight in the BC.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've been running my mouth across the other bike threads. I figured I'd do an intro post once I have it since I'll be picking the thread's brain for mounting solutions on gear anyway.

it's this little fella

https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/redwood

That looks great. I love that shade of green.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CopperHound posted:

IMO if you aren't a big person I would consider troll and ogre overbuilt for anything short of heavy loads. I have a troll and my friend has an ogre. They handle riding off road with 40lbs of junk strapped to them like a champ, but without the load it just is kind of a disappointing ride. I don't know how to objectively quantify it, but it just isn't as fun to ride as other rigid dirt frames.

e: if you like ogre style I think the ecr is pretty similar but less heavily built. Also the 650b bridge club might be fun.

e2: I'd also suggest going with vertical dropouts or thru axle over the track ends unless you plan to set it up single speed.

I’ve only test ridden an ECR but it felt even more clunky and overbuilt than the ogre I ended up buying. It rode close to a fatbike, but that could have been down to the tires on that build.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

hemale in pain posted:

That looks great. I love that shade of green.

yeah, I think it looks like it should punch above its weight class. I'm optimistic.

I've already got my initial loadout plan:

2x Salsa Anything HD + Salsa Anything bag (~4.5L or ~9L together)

Moosetreks Bike Seatpost Bag Large - (8L - 14L)

Some frame bag, need to look at my LBS stock and try some bags out on the bike itself for a proper fit.

Last bit of kit is a 10L hydration backpack I like quite a bit (Osprey)

BIG OL DISCLAIMER I don't know what I'm doing and this is my first foray into the hobby.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 10, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There's no wrong way to set it all up as long as nothing breaks; just evolve your setup as you do more tours.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
That's good to hear.

My gear is pretty hiking-based right now, so I'm nervous about getting my tent packed up. The "lay it all out and figure it out" exercise I get to do on Thursday night will be pretty eye opening.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Can't vouch for them myself but the Jones SWB's cost comes in a little more than an Ogre. Not sure about putting 700c wheels on it though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Can't vouch for them myself but the Jones SWB's cost comes in a little more than an Ogre. Not sure about putting 700c wheels on it though.

go home bike your drunk!!

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

If possible I would look into the Kona Unit before any Surly bike. I find Surlys to be good, but heavy, overbuilt, and a little slow to change. If I were to get a rigid flat bar MTB this is what I would get.

https://konaworld.com/unit.cfm

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Biggus Duckus posted:

If possible I would look into the Kona Unit before any Surly bike. I find Surlys to be good, but heavy, overbuilt, and a little slow to change. If I were to get a rigid flat bar MTB this is what I would get.

https://konaworld.com/unit.cfm

I had limited options because I couldn't afford new wheels! I would of got a big bro if i was richer but my bike had to be compatible with QR/nonboost. (also if im honest i couldn't find any kona units in stock here)

I think I've settled with a bridge club. At the very worst i'll have an excellent commuter bike which'll last forever.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 10, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

yeah, I think it looks like it should punch above its weight class. I'm optimistic.

I've already got my initial loadout plan:

2x Salsa Anything HD + Salsa Anything bag (~4.5L or ~9L together)

Moosetreks Bike Seatpost Bag Large - (8L - 14L)

Some frame bag, need to look at my LBS stock and try some bags out on the bike itself for a proper fit.

Last bit of kit is a 10L hydration backpack I like quite a bit (Osprey)

BIG OL DISCLAIMER I don't know what I'm doing and this is my first foray into the hobby.

I’m assuming your 10L bag is 10L total capacity and not liquid. At any rate, why would you want to use a backpack? Keeping the weight off your shoulders and on the bike is like the best part.

If you do a half frame bag you can use bottles. A full frame bag you can stick in the bladder.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m assuming your 10L bag is 10L total capacity and not liquid. At any rate, why would you want to use a backpack? Keeping the weight off your shoulders and on the bike is like the best part.

If you do a half frame bag you can use bottles. A full frame bag you can stick in the bladder.

I like my backpack.

I've done 60 mile rides and a bit of MTB stuff with the little pack and it's worked out well.

At first it was because I didn't want to deal with water bottles, the bladder in this thing was quite nice. May be well worth dropping the bladder into a frame bag though, after yesterday's ride, my shoulders are real pissed. Could just be I'm not in proper shape, but I can see this being a pain in the rear end long-distance if it's simply the weight.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dumping the backpack is pretty great! I think it's not worth worrying about for your first few times going camping on the bike tho, as they're super convenient for jamming all that extra stuff in. Just use what you got and then you can get super ocd about bags (it will happen)

I got some ridiculous paper thin ultra sil backpack which rolls up into a tiny ball I take with me and use for when I go shopping and wanna buy more food than I can carry. I think it's like my favourite piece of equipment ever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I got some ridiculous paper thin ultra sil backpack which rolls up into a tiny ball I take with me and use for when I go shopping and wanna buy more food than I can carry. I think it's like my favourite piece of equipment ever.

Yeah I have one of these from sea to summit and it's great for everything. daypack, flight bag, extra food for bikepacking, etc.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I did my first 2-3 60 mile rides with a drawstring swag bag loaded with my windbreaker/food/phone.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

Yup, flat bar definitely. never really liked drop bar even on purely road bikes.

Terrain is sorta hard to pin down. Definitely rough off road stuff so leaning towards something which is more mountain bike than gravel. I should of said i wanna put in 27.5+ 2.8 wheels/tyres on it, but also switch between 700c wheels too.

current bike in it's various forms. i actually love it but the frame is cheap and has no inbuilt rack mounts.

Judging by those photos, I would look at the Surly Karate Monkey or Krampus (depending on if you want 27.5" or 29" wheels). I think the Karate Monkey and Krampus are the only rigid bikes that come stock with 3" tires (it depends on where you live and availability of other brands though). The Bridge Club would be good too. I wouldn't recommend the Troll because it's designed around 26" wheels. You can put 27.5" wheels on them, but I think 700c would be pushing it. The Surly Ogre now comes with Extraterrestrial tires which aren't great for rough road bikepacking.

The Kona Unit is a nice bike too, but it's a single speed. You have to go up to the Unit X if you want gears.

Surly bikes aren't designed to go fast, but that's never been the focal point of bikepacking anyway. My ERC rides amazing with a full loaded and I've found it still rides great when I have nothing on it - I still ride it around the city and on city trails and love it. But bike feel is a personal preference and varies greatly from person to person.

Koth fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Surly bikes are heavy, overbuilt, and slow clunkers, but they have a special feel that makes them a joy to ride. Even compared to other QBP brands Surlys just feel right. A hardtail Karate Monkey is some of the most fun I've had on trails and I really liked the one I owned for a few weeks before deciding to go the drop bar route.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I have two Surlys (Cross Check and an Ice Cream Truck Ops) and I completely feel like I could ride anywhere on either of them (though I definitely prefer the ICT on singletrack.) Heavy and overbuilt may be a tad harsh but largely accurate, but goddamn do they ever just work as awesome bikes.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, Surly bikes are heavy, overbuilt, and slow clunkers, but they have a special feel that makes them a joy to ride. Even compared to other QBP brands Surlys just feel right. A hardtail Karate Monkey is some of the most fun I've had on trails and I really liked the one I owned for a few weeks before deciding to go the drop bar route.

Which drop bar bike did you go with?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Koth posted:

Which drop bar bike did you go with?

I sold my 3 Surly's and built a Bearclaw Beaux Jaxon. Actually came out ahead on what I spent on the Surly's, they held value really well.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Ah yes, I recognize that bike. Very nice.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Hey, it turns out that due to the cable routing on the poseidon,my dreams of an all bag setup are shattered.

On the plus side,now I can start looking into a rear rack!

Does anyone have recommendations for paniers and a small rack that would work on this thing? It has braze ons on the rear triangle but will require a fairly decent clearance for the 2.5" 27.5 tires.

For the front, I'm going to go with anything cages on the fork and either some straps plus cheap dry/compression bags or proper salsa anything bags.

My buddy has shown some interest in going bikepacking with me so I'm going to set up my El Mariachi for that as well. For that bike,I can actually get a front bar bag. I'm unreasonably hyped for how expensive this will most likely turn out.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

What's stopping you from going all bags?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can definitely strap a dry bag to the front either under or over your cables as long as nothing is getting pinched or stretched too much. I ran a medium Revelate Sweetroll under my cables and never had an issue.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Biggus Duckus posted:

What's stopping you from going all bags?

I wanted a front handlebar bag but the way the brifter routes the cable gets in the way.

http://imgur.com/gallery/WYQKTGb

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 16, 2021

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I have the Ortlieb Sport-Roller panniers I've used for bikepacking. I really like like Ortlieb system because I can get them dialed in and they don't move at all.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hey, it turns out that due to the cable routing on the poseidon,my dreams of an all bag setup are shattered.

Two ideas on routing that Microshift Advent X shift cable by Russ @ Path Less Pedaled.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

:3: that's excellent.

Thank you!

Koth posted:

I have the Ortlieb Sport-Roller panniers I've used for bikepacking. I really like like Ortlieb system because I can get them dialed in and they don't move at all.

I'll take a look. Things are getting real hard to find.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have the Ortlieb Bikepacker Plus model and they’re good. Big and heavy, but good.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

I wish I had access to the bags Russ reviews. With the exchange rate and shipping to Canada, they usually come in at around $400.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Koth posted:

I wish I had access to the bags Russ reviews. With the exchange rate and shipping to Canada, they usually come in at around $400.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycletouring/comments/ltc334/no_ortlieb_in_canada_alternatives/

Just saw this recently, might be some good suggestions for you there.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

I had to laugh as pretty much everyone mentions Arkel and Axiom. That's all that's available in the bike shops here.

Koth fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 16, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Porcelain rocket? I'd guess there are a number of canadian bag makers aside from them.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

jamal posted:

Porcelain rocket? I'd guess there are a number of canadian bag makers aside from them.

Procelain Rocket was bought by Rockgeist, so all of their stuff is only available in the USA. Other than Arkel and TwoWheel Gear, I don't know who else makes bags in Canada.

It's not that I need a bag that's made in Canada, but being able to find Canadian retailers of these cool bags that Russ reviews would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

That's crazy that there is no cottage industry up there. I took my mom's old sewing machine and started learning a bit how to make bike bags. Just for fun, but in the back of my head thinking maybe I could turn this into a side business. But it's such a saturated market in the US, I quickly went away from that idea.