Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Violator posted:

I'm always astonished how much of making movies is still held together by duct tape. Those little wooden boxes, a little seat with a frilly pattern on it, and a cushion under Leto's foot and a guy holding it all by hand to make sure it's stable turns into the Joker sitting in a wasteland.

Given the setting, that kinda thing probably lends authenticity. Like, the post apocalypse definitely has people ripping off old 70s couch cushions to make their random crates more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Violator posted:

I'm always astonished how much of making movies is still held together by duct tape. Those little wooden boxes, a little seat with a frilly pattern on it, and a cushion under Leto's foot and a guy holding it all by hand to make sure it's stable turns into the Joker sitting in a wasteland.

its pretty drat wild how much nonexistent matter is depicted in films and tv now. just wholly constructed digital worlds that are brains accept as real.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Zack Snyder's Guide To Watching the Snyder Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opwO0Ko5FcQ

He suggests the times to take a bathroom break and get a snack if you're a "hardcore viewer". TLDR: pause when the Chapter 5 title card comes up.

He also reveals the IMAX version has an intermission at this point in the "theatrical release".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The epilogue is called WHAT

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Steppenwolf & Darkseid trailer

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1369698137623826433?s=20

Violator
May 15, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Not only that, but Snyder says he's storyboarded "what happens after this version of Justice League" and he won't be releasing that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It's kind of refreshing to have a villain just be, "I want to rule everything, gently caress you."

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

2house2fly posted:

I have no idea why but when I read it I heard in my head 'brother from another mother'

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I was hoping he'd suggest proper snacks.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Holy loving poo poo this movies gunna rule

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Holy loving poo poo this movies gunna rule

No kidding. That one's probably my favorite promo to date.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Schwarzwald posted:

It's kind of refreshing to have a villain just be, "I want to rule everything, gently caress you."

Its very Morgoth/Sauron vibes and is totally in line with these intended to be more like LotR style epic myth/legends

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jimbot posted:

No kidding. That one's probably my favorite promo to date.

Same. Definitely shows off those LotR vibes the storyboards were aiming for and I absolutely love that.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Its very Morgoth/Sauron vibes and is totally in line with these intended to be more like LotR style epic myth/legends

Lol, gently caress, beaten. I should have refreshed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I like the Green Lantern in the background of the past battle scene. I wonder if/how much the design will differ from the theatrical version.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah, sorry folks, this owns.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's the most epic thing I've ever seen... SO FAR.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am really enjoying the transition into "Zack Snyder's Lord of the Capes"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Lord of the (Lantern) Rings

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

The website has been updated with a list of international release information.... but a lot of countries are still listed as "TBD" (including UK...):

https://zacksnydersjusticeleague.dcuniverseinfinite.com/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tomtrek posted:

The website has been updated with a list of international release information.... but a lot of countries are still listed as "TBD" (including UK...):

Nice

quote:

STREAM ZACK SNYDER’S JUSTICE LEAGUE ON HBO MAX IN 4K UHD, HDR10, DOLBY VISION, DOLBY ATMOS ON SUPPORTED DEVICES.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Tomtrek posted:

Interesting that the "meet the characters" section has a nice promo shot for everyone except Darkseid and Steppenwolf, who are just using low-res screengrabs from the trailers. The marketing budget must be pretty low if they're not even bothering to pay for promo renders of those guys.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tomtrek posted:

It's listed in the advance timetable on Sky Premiere HD in the UK, next Thursday at 8.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Ah awesome, was getting worried how close this was!
Thanks for the link.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A week today and it'll be out. What a weird story. I'm somewhere with open cinemas but it seems like it's exclusive to the terrible streaming services. The Sydney IMAX is unfortunately closed for renovations. Maybe it'll be open around the time I'm ready to rewatch this.

I guess I'll give the streaming services a try or something. Basically no way to see this legally without giving Rupert Murdoch money is a sad outcome.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

josh04 posted:

It's listed in the advance timetable on Sky Premiere HD in the UK, next Thursday at 8.

As someone who doesn't have Sky I'm still hoping it comes to other places like Amazon Prime or Google Play...

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tomtrek posted:

As someone who doesn't have Sky I'm still hoping it comes to other places like Amazon Prime or Google Play...

It should be on NowTV as well if that's any better for you.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Nordics don’t get the full 4k treatment. That’s not nice.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's kind of weird/interesting how Kirby's new Gods were about re-imagining Norse Gods in a modern sci/fi lens. The beginnings of what would lead to Darkseid and Co. were rooted in an idea for how to reboot his Marvel Thor characters. You can still see the connections, especially clearly with High Father with his clear connections to Odin. There is also some Judaism in there. That's the actual gimmick of New Gods. They're a Pantheon of Gods who are appropriating modern (1970s) superhero aesthetics. Of course the Norse influences also branch of into Tolkien which Snyder is pulling a lot from.

So, you basically have this character of Darskeid who is supposed to be an old mythical God figure reinterpreted as a modern supervillain and then in the Snyder Cut reinterpreted into a classical God-figure that you might feel at home in the Lord of the Rings. I mean I actually don't know if I like that, but it is interesting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

It's a really tricky villain to write well, the kind that's simply a dominant force that wants to rule for its own sake. We struggle to even understand real people like that, and tend to work hard to humanise them. And so our fictional supervillains tend to get boiled down too. Even in Warhammer 40k, a place full of characters that could be that kind of force, they tend to reduce the motivations of their most villainous villains to blends of daddy issues, insecurity and personal revenge. Just writing someone that wants to rule, and will, because he can, who won't make concessions or negotiate or back down because they do not have to and never have before, is hard. Because putting yourself in those shoes is so far beyond the normal human viewpoint.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a really tricky villain to write well, the kind that's simply a dominant force that wants to rule for its own sake. We struggle to even understand real people like that, and tend to work hard to humanise them. And so our fictional supervillains tend to get boiled down too. Even in Warhammer 40k, a place full of characters that could be that kind of force, they tend to reduce the motivations of their most villainous villains to blends of daddy issues, insecurity and personal revenge. Just writing someone that wants to rule, and will, because he can, who won't make concessions or negotiate or back down because they do not have to and never have before, is hard. Because putting yourself in those shoes is so far beyond the normal human viewpoint.

Its why Darkseid works so great.

The trick with Darkseid is, it doesn't matter where he shows up. Super Friends, Harley Quinn, DCAU, comics, books, movies, games- anywhere and everywhere, Darkseid is the same.

Maybe he gets a funny quirk that's kind of horrifying when you stop to think about it, like wanting Wonder Woman for his queen (including being fully willing and ready to mind control her into full obedience, otherwise planning to break her into it) or being kind of snarky/weirdly understanding

But Darkseid is pure villainy. He is peak 1980s cartoon villain, played deathly serious from day one. He doesn't espouse the virtues of evil because he doesn't have to. He will dominate the universe and place all beneath his heel. He is tyranny personified.

Its why he's so ubiquitous. He's Space Age Satan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the cooler aspects of when DC restructured their Multiverse for New 52 was just having one Apokalypse/Darkseid. This has probably recently changed since they reboot every 5-10 years. He basically invaded whatever planet in whatever universe he wanted. The Earth 2 comics dealt with the aftermath of Steppenwolf invading them and killing off thier Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman.

There can be hundreds many versions of Superman, and Batman, but there's only one Darkseid. :doom: (pretend that's Darkseid)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
blue jean wearing Darkseid was so loving awesome.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So I guess Zack SNYDERS Darkseid gets the closest thing anyone can get to Kirbys stamp of approval

https://twitter.com/jackkirbycomics/status/1369715784348438530?s=19

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

Like wanting Wonder Woman for his queen (including being fully willing and ready to mind control her into full obedience

I like this example because you can imagine how it would play out compared to most other villains. With most, you would get the scene where she says 'I'll never really love you' and that would bother the villain. They would do their best to actually win her over and convince her. This would give the other heroes time, distracting the villain, and also probably give Wonder Woman an opening. Darkseid wouldn't give a poo poo. Compelled obediance and love are still obediance and love to him.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Isthat Karl Urban as the lightning guy

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

No, that's some obscenely jacked person. There was a pic of them somewhere in this thread, no idea where. They are insanely jacked even by the standards of Zack Snyder cast members alongside an also very jacked lady.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
confession time: i always thought it was pronounced darkseed

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Sergi Constance

https://www.instagram.com/sergiconstance/

Snowman_McK posted:

No, that's some obscenely jacked person. There was a pic of them somewhere in this thread, no idea where. They are insanely jacked even by the standards of Zack Snyder cast members alongside an also very jacked lady.
He’s basically a real life Giga Chad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Horizon Burning posted:

confession time: i always thought it was pronounced darkseed

I'll keep an eye out for the Mike Dawson cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I feel like that guy also deserves to be on the cover of a NVIDIA graphics card, since he looks like somebody set the "shiny" and "muscle" slider to max.