Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Xand_Man posted:

Yeah, the bit where an enemy straight up steals part of your life bar is fun in a "it was the wild west of game design; they were throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what stuck" way, but miserable if you were actually PLAYING the game

The best part was killing that enemy to recover your health, but you could also use that to steal health from the other player. Oh my little brother got pissed :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Final Fight is actually my preferred beat em up, so capcom is welcome to try a new game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jack B Nimble posted:

Final Fight is actually my preferred beat em up, so capcom is welcome to try a new game.

Disgusting, but I suppose they are out there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd love a golden axe game on par with this holy poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Imagine if Street Fighter V was made in this amazing handrawn style instead of every character being some grotesque homonculus of thighs and feet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Final Fight is actually my preferred beat em up

:catstare:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Nothing wrong with believing that. It's good, just a bit unforgiving.

Though if you understand the game you realize haggar is awful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine if Street Fighter V was made in this amazing handrawn style instead of every character being some grotesque homonculus of thighs and feet.

I've gone off fighting games because I loving hate the modern 3d art style they use. Like every game from samurai shodown to Marvel v Capcom elects to go this ugly loving route rather than glorious hand wrought characters.

Except Dragonball FighterZ.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I played that final fight fan game and I love that the ending Is a sideshow of what I presume are the developers cosplaying as final fight characters

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I should clarify that I mean that the original Final Fight has more significance to me; Cody, the slums of Metro City, the Mad Gear gang. The slums, subway, and bay area levels are always going to be what Beat em Ups are to me. That said, I still think SoR4 is the best beat em up ever made, and I say that as someone who never did more with SoR1-3 than load up an emulator and play a level or two.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 9, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Despite my console warriordom for the Genesis, playing Final Fight in the arcades along with X-Men and the Simpsons was my first experience with brawlers. I thought they were all awesome back then, as they are today. The indie scene really messed up when they went all-in with roguelikes and metroidvanias instead of the sidescrolling beatemup, it was truly the biggest mistake of our times.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Lower budget to indie brawlers? Fight'n Rage, Super Combo Man, Mother Russia Bleeds, and 99 Vidas. Others as well.

Not really a list of games I'm too fond of.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shank is also a relatively new, relatively high budget/ well produced best em up. Like Mother Russia Bleeds, I think it's good but not great, and has some innovative ideas rather than being SoR4's perfection of both a play mechanic and aesthetic that started with The Warrior/ Renegade.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Lower budget to indie brawlers? Fight'n Rage, Super Combo Man, Mother Russia Bleeds, and 99 Vidas. Others as well.

Not really a list of games I'm too fond of.

That's what I mean, there's such a preponderance of crap to good in any indie game that beatemups being relatively unpopular means the halfway decent titles are few and far between.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The one extremely underrated indie brawler is Aztez. It's really good.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

FuriousGeorge posted:

Ninja Baseball Bat Man 2 please.

This guy knows.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

JBP posted:

I've gone off fighting games because I loving hate the modern 3d art style they use. Like every game from samurai shodown to Marvel v Capcom elects to go this ugly loving route rather than glorious hand wrought characters.

Except Dragonball FighterZ.

The 2D-looking 3D in that game is cool as hell. Check out this video on the studio behind FighterZ and Guilty Gear, and how they pull off that art style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZsboyfs-L4

Good poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

First time I've managed to crack 40k on Stage 3. Annoyed about dropping the perfect at the end, but what can ya do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u7CXLWbT7w

AwesomeDude
May 21, 2007
Recently picked this back up after not playing for 6 months or so. Joined a random co-op game online and chose SOR1 Adam because I never unlocked any of the other characters and I always picked Adam in SOR1. Not sure if the patch just made things easier or I finally found a character that works for me, but I had a ton of success just jump kicking the poo poo out of everything that moved and was able to beat the game for the first time.

What are some good tips for playing as Cherry? I really like her speed, but her damage output seems so low compared to everyone else.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

AwesomeDude posted:

What are some good tips for playing as Cherry? I really like her speed, but her damage output seems so low compared to everyone else.

Chain her blitz attack at the end of every single combo you can, and when you knock somebody down hit them while they're on the ground with her offensive super (guitar smash).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cherry like a lot of other characters has a 3-hit stagger. That means if you prematurely pause her main 5-hit string on the third strike, she'll keep enemies in a stunned state long enough to land another full combo on them or cancel into any special. I think her biggest and most distinct move is the dive punch that comes from her charge attack or the 4th hit of her standard combo. That puts enemies into an aerial state and lets Cherry juggle them with another dive punch, then jump kick into her air special. You can weave her charge attack into any normal string and launch bad guys with it.

AwesomeDude
May 21, 2007
Thank you both for the advice! I’ll try to implement next time I play. Really wish they’d add a training mode; it’d be nice to actually get good with one of the SOR4 characters rather than relying on SOR1 Adam’s jump kick.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMYwrC7oAo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I approve of this. Hopefully it still means they're working on SOR4 DLC though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

What if this is the DLC?

Turtles in Time was my favorite Beat 'em up growing up. I played it so so much. This looks perfect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

According to reddit, Dotemu said on Discord that something SOR4-specific was in the works.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm cool with more TMNT beat-em-ups, though I might be a bit spoiled by SOR4's graphics and style.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

According to reddit, Dotemu said on Discord that something SOR4-specific was in the works.

It's almost been a year right? That feels about right for DLC, sooner wouldn't have made sense.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Guardcrush/Lizardcube worked on SOR4 iirc while Tribute is doing the TMNT game; Dotemu as a company both publishes and helps development with several games across the board like SOR4, Windjammers 2, and now TMNT. Def won't mean SOR4 will be abandoned anytime soon.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

I'm cool with more TMNT beat-em-ups, though I might be a bit spoiled by SOR4's graphics and style.

I'm spoiled by SoR4's gameplay, to me it's just a perfect brawler. Very curious to see how TMNT plays.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SoR4 definitely raises a new bar in quality for beat'em'ups.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am extremely excited for SOR4 DLC and I will judge the turtles on their merits, but after sor I'm also pretty excited for another great beat em up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

acksplode posted:

I'm spoiled by SoR4's gameplay, to me it's just a perfect brawler. Very curious to see how TMNT plays.

SOR4 is excellent but not perfect. No beat-em-up can be all things to all people, and while I love SOR4 I do miss things from other games like movement speed, blocks, team-up attacks, other weapons, that fun thing in Turtles in Time when you threw Foot soldiers towards the TV, lots of stuff.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

SOR4 is excellent but not perfect. No beat-em-up can be all things to all people, and while I love SOR4 I do miss things from other games like movement speed, blocks, team-up attacks, other weapons, that fun thing in Turtles in Time when you threw Foot soldiers towards the TV, lots of stuff.

I liked that fight that took place from the boss' perspective, so you were throwing soldiers into the boss.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Shine posted:

I liked that fight that took place from the boss' perspective, so you were throwing soldiers into the boss.

Not a beat-em-up, but I loved the last level of Gunstar Heroes which also has the villains POV as they the heroes go through the everyone that's left in the empire on their video feed. Wish it turned up more!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shine posted:

For being a move that's required to defeat the boss I don't recall how to do it being well communicated up to that point.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

For being a move that's required to defeat the boss I don't recall how to do it being well communicated up to that point.

IIRC this was back when reading the game manual was still expected. I don't recall much, if any tutorial stuff in the game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lobok posted:

It wasn't but it didn't matter! You'd land it pretty regularly anyway.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah I think I got it from the manual but it was also an arcade game so it must not have been a big issue. Then again, that would be exactly the kind of dirty trick to play to siphon quarters from players to have an unintuitive game mechanic be the key to defeating a late boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lobok posted:

Yeah I think I got it from the manual but it was also an arcade game so it must not have been a big issue. Then again, that would be exactly the kind of dirty trick to play to siphon quarters from players to have an unintuitive game mechanic be the key to defeating a late boss.

Except the battle that required you to toss foot soldiers into the screen to beat the boss was SNES exclusive. In the Arcade version you didn't visit the Technodrome before going back in time. You went to the Prehistoric level right after the sewer stage.