Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
talk about a real waste of space if you’re asking me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

get out of my space forums

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Hi I came here for the sucking gently caress Space and I... oh :yikes:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Of course it sucks. Space is a vacuum you dumbass. :rolleyes:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

every time you gently caress, you are loving in space

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Yeah actually space does loving suck, let's talk about why

First: being in it and doing work there will gently caress your poo poo up. For example, all your fingernails will fall out.

quote:

Along with the rest of the criteria that make for a good astronaut--some heavy degrees in science or technology, a tolerance for cramped spaces and freeze-dried food--let's add another one. The ideal astronaut should have narrow hands to prevent his or her fingernails from falling off. National Geographic reports that the design of astronauts' space suit gloves can lead to hand and finger injuries, including an icky condition called fingernail delamination in which the nail completely detaches from the nailbed. While missing nails do grow back in time, if the nail falls off in the middle of a spacewalk it can snag inside the glove, and moisture inside the glove can lead to bacterial or fungal infections in the exposed nailbed. MIT astronautics professor Dava Newman told National Geographic that astronauts take this medical prospect seriously:

For now, the only solutions are to apply protective dressings, keep nails trimmed short—or do some extreme preventative maintenance. "I have heard of a couple people who've removed their fingernails in advance of an EVA," Newman said.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/astronauts-occupational-hazard-falling-off-fingernails

Awesome, I can't wait to pull my own fingernails out because if I don't they might fall out during a spacewalk, jam up the poo poo inside my suit, and potentially kill me.

Also, if you go outside of the protection of Earth's magnetic field, cosmic rays will gently caress up your microbiome and give you intestinal cancer. Enjoy getting permanent zero gravity IBS and then dying of tumors.

quote:

Senescent cells "generate oxidative stress and inflammatory molecules that induce more damage," Datta said in the statement. "This greatly affected migration of cells that are needed to replace the intestinal lining, which slowed down GI functioning."

The radiation appeared to cause permanent damage, according to the study. Also, the researchers suggested that exposure to heavy ions may cause similar damage responses in other organs.

"With the current shielding technology, it is difficult to protect astronauts from the adverse effects of heavy-ion radiation," Datta said. "Although there may be a way to use medicines to counter these effects, no such agent has been developed yet."

https://www.space.com/42018-deep-space-travel-damage-astronauts-gut.html

It'll probably do the same thing to all your other organs too so anyone who goes to Mars or w/e and spending a year+ getting bathed in this type of radiation should understand that they're pretty much accepting a death sentence unless they're wrapping themselves in several thousand tons of water enriched with boric acid, concrete, or some other high-bulk shielding (or magic active shielding technologies that don't actually exist yet) that is conspicuously absent from Musky's Mars mission architecture.

Of course you also lose all your muscle mass, your spine gets hosed up, your eyes change shape, you can't shower, you have to drink your own piss, there's no way to properly clean your living space/eating utensils/rear end so you endlessly run around with a dust buster and wet wipes futilely trying to make your habitat not smell like the inside of a gym bag, you can't do laundry so you wear your disgusting rear end dirty clothes for weeks and then throw them away, your best case for private space is that you get something the size of a broom closet, and every piece of garbage you produce for the entire time you are in space lives in a bag inside your tiny cramped house that you can't ever leave.

#FuckSpace

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Bloody posted:

every time you gently caress, you are loving in space

Is- is space here in the room with you? Can we talk to space?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah actually space does loving suck, let's talk about why

First: being in it and doing work there will gently caress your poo poo up. For example, all your fingernails will fall out.

Awesome, I can't wait to pull my own fingernails out because if I don't they might fall out during a spacewalk, jam up the poo poo inside my suit, and potentially kill me.

Also, if you go outside of the protection of Earth's magnetic field, cosmic rays will gently caress up your microbiome and give you intestinal cancer. Enjoy getting permanent zero gravity IBS and then dying of tumors.

It'll probably do the same thing to all your other organs too so anyone who goes to Mars or w/e and spending a year+ getting bathed in this type of radiation should understand that they're pretty much accepting a death sentence unless they're wrapping themselves in several thousand tons of water enriched with boric acid, concrete, or some other high-bulk shielding (or magic active shielding technologies that don't actually exist yet) that is conspicuously absent from Musky's Mars mission architecture.

Of course you also lose all your muscle mass, your spine gets hosed up, your eyes change shape, you can't shower, you have to drink your own piss, there's no way to properly clean your living space/eating utensils/rear end so you endlessly run around with a dust buster and wet wipes futilely trying to make your habitat not smell like the inside of a gym bag, you can't do laundry so you wear your disgusting rear end dirty clothes for weeks and then throw them away, your best case for private space is that you get something the size of a broom closet, and every piece of garbage you produce for the entire time you are in space lives in a bag inside your tiny cramped house that you can't ever leave.

#FuckSpace

This post is significantly better than this thread or indeed this subforum deserve

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Is there any way to fix the GI tract?

Also The Right Stuff implied that going into space gave astronauts ED. It sounded spacious but do you have anything one way or the other?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Oldest Man posted:

you have to drink your own piss,

the water you drink today was probably dinosaur piss

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Bloody posted:

This post is significantly better than this thread or indeed this subforum deserve

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
actually it doesn't suck. that's just the air rushing out of the gaping hull breach carrying you along with it.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
That's just scientifically inaccurate.

Space doesn't suck. Things just have a longer to be inside it and fill it up.

But space is big. Like really big. Like a million foreheads of Jeff bezos scale wouldnt even be noticed next to space.

So it's always got more to fill up. Just like Jeff bezos greed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lol btw i forgot that if your personal fan stops working while you're sleeping in your broom closet zipped up in your sleeping bag so that you don't float around and break poo poo, a bubble of carbon dioxide will form around your head and suffocate you.

Space sucks rear end

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wouldn't you wake up because your body would freak out that there's too much carbon dioxide in the lungs?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Of course it sucks. Space is a vacuum you dumbass. :rolleyes:

Nothing sucks everything blows you absolute newtonian charlatan.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Derpies posted:

Nothing sucks

counterpoint: your mom

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol btw i forgot that if your personal fan stops working while you're sleeping in your broom closet zipped up in your sleeping bag so that you don't float around and break poo poo, a bubble of carbon dioxide will form around your head and suffocate you.

Space sucks rear end

space owns

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wouldn't you wake up because your body would freak out that there's too much carbon dioxide in the lungs?

Oh yeah you won't die of this, it just loving sucks lol, you would wake up gasping and choking on nothing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
space can suck my weiner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I don't know why but the title of this thread always makes me lol