Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My friends are going nuts posting images of michigan a half game back in the standings, lol

Who gives a poo poo about conference titles. I think I stopped caring about them like 20 years ago when a decent illini team was co champs despite having a head to head win because there wasn't a tie breaker, something like that

Edit hot drat I remembered right, co champs with MSU , went 1-0 against them. That was the team that had 6 players foul out against gilbert arenas and arizona

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mastershakeman posted:

My friends are going nuts posting images of michigan a half game back in the standings, lol

Who gives a poo poo about conference titles. I think I stopped caring about them like 20 years ago when a decent illini team was co champs despite having a head to head win because there wasn't a tie breaker, something like that

Edit hot drat I remembered right, co champs with MSU , went 1-0 against them. That was the team that had 6 players foul out against gilbert arenas and arizona

honestly i like stupid poo poo like this where everyone has a chip on their shoulder over something that doesn't even matter

also with the h2h victory illinois should claim whatever it wants, scoreboard bicth

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Congrats to Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern, and Penn State for a 14 way shared Big Ten Title.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The union tribune is speculating that Minnesota is gonna try and hire Brian Dutcher away from SDSU

:ohdear:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
there are inexplicably like 30 good coaches with ties to the minnesota but he'd probably be on the list. I assume they'd go after Musselman first but can't imagine he bails for a tougher conference when he has a good thing going to Arkansas, which has a higher recruiting ceiling anyway.

it sounds like pitino might pull a steve alford and bail for new mexico before minnesota fires him which is very funny

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Creighton coach keeps his job, immediately back on the sideline for the postseason. I'm sure many lessons were learned https://twitter.com/Creighton/status/1369028349956419588?s=20

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

elentar posted:

Creighton coach keeps his job, immediately back on the sideline for the postseason. I'm sure many lessons were learned https://twitter.com/Creighton/status/1369028349956419588?s=20

My grandpa had a chat with a Creighton booster and the impression he got was that the lesson McDermott has learned is “keep your assistant coaches on a tighter leash”

Same guy is a doctor who won’t get a vaccine even if it’s offered to him. You’ll never guess which disgraced Iowa racist he’s voted for multiple times

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

MourningView posted:

there are inexplicably like 30 good coaches with ties to the minnesota but he'd probably be on the list. I assume they'd go after Musselman first but can't imagine he bails for a tougher conference when he has a good thing going to Arkansas, which has a higher recruiting ceiling anyway.

it sounds like pitino might pull a steve alford and bail for new mexico before minnesota fires him which is very funny

I’ll take it, at least Pitino didn’t cover up crimes.

Right?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

MourningView posted:

I know a lot of Arkansas fans have been “lol no way he goes to Minnesota” but I’m actually a little worried about it. I hope we give the man a check for $Texas to stick around. I don’t know that we will be a top 10 team again anytime soon after this year, but pay Muss whatever he wants and let’s find out

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/sdutzeigler/status/1368975851400826880?s=19

Boooo

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
lol

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1369109819018407942

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Outside of Dutcher, I think the rest of those awards are accurate. Queta is the only reason USU was on the NCAA bubble for so long. Medved also did a phenomenal job, though I still would’ve gone with Dutcher.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

worst record for an autobid team since bill carmody hilariously made it with an awful holy cross team the year after northwestern fired him for never making the tournament

FartingBedpost posted:

I’ll take it, at least Pitino didn’t cover up crimes.

Right?

i mean not that I know of but he's a pitino so

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 9, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

justice for bill carmody.

that was the most insane thing in the world, holy cross even had purple jerseys and they were running the same offense with the one guy who could shoot, if they all just changed their names to Balkan form it could have been northwestern.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The AP story on it is funnier. Apparently App State has a grad transfer from SNHU (yeah, the one in the commercials) that warmed the bench, and then turned into Stephen Curry in the conference tournament. 20 3s in four games

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Championship games tomorrow:
  • Colonial, which was a real mess this year, between a Drexel team that was conference-best in Kenpom but finished 6th, and 8-seed Elon
  • Horizon, where actually good team Wright State got knocked out in their first conference tourney game, so it's between 2-seed Cleveland State and 5-seed Oakland, who thanks to a brutal schedule started the season 0-9
  • Northeast, where Bryant would be a little bit better than their usual cannon fodder, if they can beat Mount St. Mary's
  • Summit, where Oral Roberts could be the first non-Dakota champ in 9 years, if they win a coin flip against North Dakota St.
  • West Coast where Gonzaga Gonzaga Gonzaga (although it would be funny if Pepperdine beat BYU tonight to reach the final)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Let’s go the Golden Grizzlies

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

elentar posted:

[*] West Coast where Gonzaga Gonzaga Gonzaga (although it would be funny if Pepperdine beat BYU tonight to reach the final)[/list]

Close!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

for some reason the a10 championship isn’t until next saturday, and st. bonnie and vcu are both likely to get in, so it’s a battle for the a10 conference title and getting either the 10th or 11th seed :effort:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Interesting bit about one of the weirder outliers of this very odd season https://twitter.com/JeffEisenberg/status/1369421829950091265?s=20

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Herb Jones is not even the best player on Alabama, I am extremely mad that he won SEC player of the year ahead of Moses Moody.

(Quote this post when Jones has a monster game that wins Alabama the SEC Tournament this weekend.)

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Will make the Hogs winning the SEC Tournament that much sweeter

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DREXEL WOOOOOOO my school finally did a sports thing outside of lacrosse once in a while

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
lol, the Illinois AD writes a long letter bashing the Big Ten and pushing to be named 'co-champs' with Michigan, but failed to mention 2 weeks ago he voted that the team with the best WP% would be crowned champion.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

lol, the Illinois AD writes a long letter bashing the Big Ten and pushing to be named 'co-champs' with Michigan, but failed to mention 2 weeks ago he voted that the team with the best WP% would be crowned champion.

their official twitter account is also making pissy tweets about garza being player of the year they're really feeling themselves right now lol

https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1369738115787677698?s=19

Sorry indiana fans guess he's not coming home

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Illinois is trying to generate the disrespect card to motivate their team.

Ayo missed some games, using the logic they have for the title, shouldn't his achievements be looked to as less than Garza?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
i guess but I think the thing that really held him back was being worse at basketball than garza

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kansas poo poo canned Jeff Long

Probably doesn't mean much for Basketball

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Or football honestly if we're thinking in a 'become more successful' sense. But it's a very good thing either way.

e: well, something basketball related though

https://twitter.com/CJMooreHoops/status/1369756899441336320

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 10, 2021

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn G Justin Powell, after ten games looking like an all-freshman when his season was ended by a head injury, will transfer "closer to home", Kentucky said to be the favorite with Louisville also in the mix. Really unfortunate situation -- he apparently took a blow to the head late in the first half at Texas A&M, nobody's really identified the play, I asked a writer and all he knew was that the word is he bumped into Stretch Akingbola.

Nobody seemed to realize it at the time, wasn't pointed out on the broadcast or anything but it turned out to be a pretty serious concussion with lingering effects, he wasn't participating in team activities at all for weeks, only attended practice or games very late in the season. Wish him the best, hope he didn't feel like his treatment was inadequate or that he isn't seeking to get cleared to return when maybe he shouldn't be. If he's healthy he should make an immediate impact wherever he goes, and it was specifically noted when he was turning heads that this Kentucky team probably could've used a scoring threat like him.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Kansas poo poo canned Jeff Long

Self runs the basketball side which, I guess we'll see what happens with the ncaa on that front. Long was terrible though so glad to see him gone.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The string of athletic directors at Kansas has been nearly a laugh but really a cry

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

i guess but I think the thing that really held him back was being worse at basketball than garza

Also, true.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern's women's team took a 33-8 lead into the half against Illinois in the big ten tournament. Illinois had 0 field goals in the second quarter.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
So Duke's out of the ACC Tourney because of Covid. Do they get a pity bid?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grittybeard posted:

Or football honestly if we're thinking in a 'become more successful' sense. But it's a very good thing either way.

e: well, something basketball related though

https://twitter.com/CJMooreHoops/status/1369756899441336320

I am also interested in becoming the next Athletic Director at Kansas

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bjay9 posted:

So Duke's out of the ACC Tourney because of Covid. Do they get a pity bid?

AD says they're out

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Michigan St basketball will now be known as Michigan State Spartans brought to you by Rocket Mortgage

https://247sports.com/college/michigan-state/Article/Rocket-Mortgage-presenting-sponsor-Michigan-State-basketball-162199973/

No word on how much this will cost, but holy poo poo, it is gross. It only applies to the team in their in-arena presentation, but still, yuck.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Michigan St basketball will now be known as Michigan State Spartans brought to you by Rocket Mortgage

https://247sports.com/college/michigan-state/Article/Rocket-Mortgage-presenting-sponsor-Michigan-State-basketball-162199973/

No word on how much this will cost, but holy poo poo, it is gross. It only applies to the team in their in-arena presentation, but still, yuck.

how mad is rocket watts about NIL rules right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hi folks, Tom Izzo here. When I need to keep my point totals low on the court, I turn to Rocket Watts, but when I need to knock some points off my home loan *holds up phone* I turn to a different kind of Rocket