Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Thank you both! It must have been Grave of the Fireflies. I really remembered it being about the atomic bombs, that explains why I couldn't find it on google. Looks like I need to brush up on my Studio Ghibli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks for the recs chums! Much appreciated

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
just quit my job because of an RSI, so I'm looking for some nice meaty animes I can watch while letting my arms rest for indefinite periods of time. generally looking for two categories of shows:

1: generally good shows that are solidly long, but not like one piece or naruto long. i'm planning on watching FMA Brotherhood at some point bc everyone loves it, that's sort of the length i'm thinking.

2. shows with wild rear end/twisty plots. I'm a big fan of batshit crazy VNs like ace attorney, danganronpa, zero escape etc, so any show that captures that vibe (and ideally doesn't take a poo poo at the end) would be great.

haven't watched many anime, just getting into them, but here's a couple of shows I've watched and my opinions on them for context:

jojo parts 1-5: absolute banger, josuke's my favorite jojo, read the later parts after i finished bc i loved it so much

babylon: piece of poo poo terrible show lol. i love my good friend the gamer president

erased: overall good show, made me tear up, ending kind of goofy

made in abyss: great show except for the loli poo poo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

wocobob posted:

just quit my job because of an RSI, so I'm looking for some nice meaty animes I can watch while letting my arms rest for indefinite periods of time. generally looking for two categories of shows:

1: generally good shows that are solidly long, but not like one piece or naruto long. i'm planning on watching FMA Brotherhood at some point bc everyone loves it, that's sort of the length i'm thinking.

2. shows with wild rear end/twisty plots. I'm a big fan of batshit crazy VNs like ace attorney, danganronpa, zero escape etc, so any show that captures that vibe (and ideally doesn't take a poo poo at the end) would be great.

haven't watched many anime, just getting into them, but here's a couple of shows I've watched and my opinions on them for context:

jojo parts 1-5: absolute banger, josuke's my favorite jojo, read the later parts after i finished bc i loved it so much

babylon: piece of poo poo terrible show lol. i love my good friend the gamer president

Monster
Steins;Gate
Attack on Titan
Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works
Re:Zero
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Vinland Saga

Based on what you listed above, you'd probably love AoT, TTGL, and Fate/Zero the most.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wocobob posted:

Monster is long (70 eps or so iirc), sorta neat period piece in cold war Germany before and after unification, involves a Japanese expat doctor and his getting swept up in a murder mystery. Kind of like The Fugitive. Really well done, generally well loved in these parts. If you liked Erased this is probably gonna go well for you.

As always Legend of the Galactic Heroes, huge epic space opera, 110 or so eps and a couple different movies / OVAs. As much of a political question on which is better, benevolent dictators or corrupt democracies as it is a sci fi story. Takes a little bit to get into, has a huge cast but settles primarily around the same 5-6 players for the most part. There's also a reboot that's a lot shorter and faster paced but done quite well that has 2 seasons out so far.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
oh hell yeah those are some great recs, thanks. I actually read Monster a few years ago and I'm up to date on the Vinland Saga manga (love them both), so I tried those a while back and found it hard to stick with the anime adaptations because I'd already been through the whole story in manga form and I have a short attention span. might come back to them though.

a couple questions on the other ones recommended:

what's the "fate/" series all about? i've heard it mentioned a bunch in terms of both anime and games, but it's always looked a little generic at first glance.

is the steins;gate anime comparable to the VN in quality? i'd heard the VN is great/maybe the best version and I was thinking of going through that when my hands eventually felt better. but if the anime is just as good I might as well do that instead.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You might check out Golden Kamuy, it's got 3 seasons currently so it's fairly substantial now but not overly long, and the plot is pretty twisty since it's a heist with three separate groups trying to get the treasure and everyone has different motives. also there's plenty of meat

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Everything Burrito posted:

You might check out Golden Kamuy, it's got 3 seasons currently so it's fairly substantial now but not overly long, and the plot is pretty twisty since it's a heist with three separate groups trying to get the treasure and everyone has different motives. also there's plenty of meat

This is my favorite show. Its just flat out entertaining, with some weird/interesting characters and people cooking and eating food.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

wocobob posted:

oh hell yeah those are some great recs, thanks. I actually read Monster a few years ago and I'm up to date on the Vinland Saga manga (love them both), so I tried those a while back and found it hard to stick with the anime adaptations because I'd already been through the whole story in manga form and I have a short attention span. might come back to them though.

a couple questions on the other ones recommended:

what's the "fate/" series all about? i've heard it mentioned a bunch in terms of both anime and games, but it's always looked a little generic at first glance.

is the steins;gate anime comparable to the VN in quality? i'd heard the VN is great/maybe the best version and I was thinking of going through that when my hands eventually felt better. but if the anime is just as good I might as well do that instead.

Steins;Gate anime is a great adaptation, and while it obviously has to cut corners, all the main emotional thrusts of the VN are pretty well maintained. Plus, they kept all the voice actors, and shockingly, the English dub is pretty loving great.

The Fate series is basically about modern day mages summoning heros/legends from the past to fight in giant secret mage wars. But the thematic basis for the whole franchise is clashing ideals. It isn't as deep or compelling as Monster, but it has great character moments, and UFOTable (the studio that has adapted most of the modern Fate anime), pumps out insane quality.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you like danganronpa, akudama drive is a recent anime from the same writer that hits similar notes in terms of humor and energy

f/sn ubw is cool but if you watch it you should know it's an adaptation of one route from a larger vn, and each route in fsn is written to build on the previous one thematically and thus there is a bit that gets lost from watching it on its own. there is an adaptation of the first route but it's much older and pretty janky, and makes some weird attempts to include aspects of the later two routes in it that don't work out very well, and that's why people generally don't mention it. the third and final route's been adapted in a series of movies that are finishing up pretty soon

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a planned third season for arakawa's Arslan series? I'd like to get into it but if the anime just stops I might just pick up the books instead.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

oh poo poo i heard the manga for that is great and i was meaning to read it, gotta check this out now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a planned third season for arakawa's Arslan series? I'd like to get into it but if the anime just stops I might just pick up the books instead.

I didn't know there was a second season lol

The anime runs out of steam the second it stops having manga to adapt which takes about ~10 episodes so I'd stick with uh any other version.

Maybe not the 90's ova's

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't know there was a second season lol

The anime runs out of steam the second it stops having manga to adapt which takes about ~10 episodes so I'd stick with uh any other version.

Maybe not the 90's ova's

I actually remember watching the ovas back in the 90s. I did some looking around and it seems the second season of the current anime was only 7 episodes? Either way I'll probably check out the books.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wocobob posted:

hunter x hunter is really good shonen, it takes a lot of twists and turns and the plot changes itself a lot. it has a bit of a slow start but it's weird enough at the start to still be interesting. it's by the yu yu hakusho guy if you ever watched that. it's like 150 episodes lmao but the anime reaches a decent conclusion at least, even if the manga's technically ongoing (the author's got a ton of issues so he puts out like 3 chapters a year at this point). definitely has a bit of the jojo vibe with each arc being different from the last and the cast mostly changing around, minus the two leads.

Mayyybe re;zero? The protag's a bit of an annoying rear end in a top hat at the start but he gets better, the premise is he can go back in time to an established 'checkpoint' whenever he dies so there's lots of twists and moments where he just gets brutally owned with no windup, it's a fairly twisty/plot-heavy show. have to be up for 'average Japanese NEET gets sent to another world!!' type stuff though, but it's a pretty good example of that genre.

Death Note is a very cat and mouse show with the premise of being a murder mystery where the protagonist is the murderer, so you're following him trying to cover his tracks and foil the cops. It goes on a little too long and there's some real rear end-pulls in the second half to keep the thing going, but the ending still works so I wouldn't say it completely loses its way or anything, and the first half is really strong thriller stuff.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Endorph posted:

hunter x hunter is really good shonen, it takes a lot of twists and turns and the plot changes itself a lot. it has a bit of a slow start but it's weird enough at the start to still be interesting. it's by the yu yu hakusho guy if you ever watched that. it's like 150 episodes lmao but the anime reaches a decent conclusion at least, even if the manga's technically ongoing (the author's got a ton of issues so he puts out like 3 chapters a year at this point). definitely has a bit of the jojo vibe with each arc being different from the last and the cast mostly changing around, minus the two leads.

Mayyybe re;zero? The protag's a bit of an annoying rear end in a top hat at the start but he gets better, the premise is he can go back in time to an established 'checkpoint' whenever he dies so there's lots of twists and moments where he just gets brutally owned with no windup, it's a fairly twisty/plot-heavy show. have to be up for 'average Japanese NEET gets sent to another world!!' type stuff though, but it's a pretty good example of that genre.

Death Note is a very cat and mouse show with the premise of being a murder mystery where the protagonist is the murderer, so you're following him trying to cover his tracks and foil the cops. It goes on a little too long and there's some real rear end-pulls in the second half to keep the thing going, but the ending still works so I wouldn't say it completely loses its way or anything, and the first half is really strong thriller stuff.

just got to the "lap" episode and this show is honestly wild, i love it. really good subversion of isekai perv cliches with genuine emotional weight and tragedy. it does still unironically indulge in that stuff sometimes but the emotional payoff is great. thanks for the rec!

Shorono
Jan 20, 2013

wocobob posted:

How prominent is the pedobait in MiA? Thats the main reason why i haven't seen it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Isn't that the manga that a whole bunch of people got banned for talking about in another thread a year or two ago?

Based on that alone I'd say it's probably pretty bad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it also ranked 5th place in adtrw's aoty poll 2017. i didn't watch it, im innocent

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think that was in the Berserk thread about another series the creator was working on.

Made in Abyss has really good atmosphere, music, and environmental design, but it's really obvious what the author's specific fetishes are by how he lets it leak into his work. The animation staff is phenomenal (Kevin Penkin's soundtrack on Spotify is what got me to watch it in the first place, and I just discovered the art director is Osamu Masuyama, who also did the gorgeous backgrounds in other favorites of mine like Your Name) so it might be worth checking out to see if you can enjoy it in spite of what gets the author's rocks off.

While it's obvious it's not like it's sprayed absolutely everywhere throughout the show so you might be able to ignore it enough to enjoy the good parts of it. I heard the manga is even worse about it, but thankfully I have no desire to read it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's basically a situation where you could see the author's fetish but the series was widely popular here and elsewhere (good story, interesting concept, strong production on every level, likable characters). the anime does have changes that reduce the impact vs the manga but it also felt like a situation where there were a lot of the casual fans that weren't as hypersensitive to that aspect.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I am very glad to be wrong about that, then. Thanks.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is Psycho Pass any good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sponges posted:

Is Psycho Pass any good?

it's got some decent scenes but it also clearly thinks its way smarter than it actually is. so fairly standard mature sci-fi thriller for adults thing, though not a ton of anime like that gets made these days so if you're into that it's still worth watching.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The second season is purestrain poo poo though and I tapped out after that, allegedly it gets better again

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sponges posted:

Is Psycho Pass any good?

S1 is worth it imo but if you aren't really enjoying it a few episodes in you probably don't need to see it through.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Shorono posted:

How prominent is the pedobait in MiA? Thats the main reason why i haven't seen it.

I didn't know anything about that before watching it, and besides one brief but very very weird scene I didn't really notice anything

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Looking for something new to watch now that I'm all caught up with Shingeki.
Animes I liked: Berserk (1997), Evangelion, Attack on Titan, Jojo, Erased, Cowboy Bebop
Animes I don't like: anything isekai, most shounen, academy-based settings

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spermando posted:

Animes I liked: Berserk (1997), Evangelion, Attack on Titan, Jojo, Erased, Cowboy Bebop

One Punch Man, if you somehow haven't seen it yet.

There's also TTGL for more robots, or Akudama Drive if you want something recent.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spermando posted:

If you enjoyed Cowboy Bebop I would definitely recommend Samurai Champloo as a companion piece.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's a good watching order for getting into the Fate series? The number of installments is confusing, and what comes up when I try to search for it on my Roku is even more confusing.

sponges posted:

Is Psycho Pass any good?
I really couldn't get over the awful writing in the first episode. The protagonist is an audience surrogate to the point that she knows absolutely nothing about her job or the world she lives in, and has everything explained to her like she's visiting from another planet.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 10, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

What's a good watching order for getting into the Fate series? The number of installments is confusing, and what comes up when I try to search for it on my Roku is even more confusing.
90% of that stuff is spinoffs that just assumes basic knowledge of the original VN. The main difficulty comes in that the original VN is, well, a visual novel with three routes, where the routes have to be played in order, and the story makes assumptions based on you having played those routes. So the second route, Unlimited Blade Works, is its own story but it skips past some exposition that was delivered in Fate, the first route, and doesn't give some characters much characterization because they were already characterized in Fate.

Fate/Zero is a prequel to the original VN and pretty standalone, tons of people got into the franchise through that, so you can just watch it. It has a few spoilers for the original VN but nothing that'd ruin it or anything.

If you really want the exact original experience and don't wanna read the VN, you wanna watch the 2006 anime by Deen that adapts the fate route, the 2015 anime by ufotable that adapts the unlimited blade works route, and the three movies by ufotable that adapt the heaven's feel route. there's a 2010 movie by deen that adapts the ubw route, but it's not very good at all.

once you've seen f/z and f/sn you can just watch anything, there's not some complex continuity at play, everything else is just alternate world spinoffs. there's not like a big timeline. heck, you can watch, like, fate/apocrypha on its own just fine, the main reason not to do that is less some complex canon and more just fate/apocrypha not being that good, though its okay.

if you really want an exact explanation of all the anime then:

fate/zero: prequel to the original vn. has an older male protag and a darker tone so some people are really into it, though some people think the darker tone is kinda forced or that it treats the female cast badly, or doesn't gel with f/sn. great animation.

fate/stay night (2006, deen): adaptation of the fate route. it's a bit bland both animation-wise and execution-wise but it's serviceable.
fate/stay night: unlimited blade works (2010 movie, deen): adaptation of the ubw route. tries to cram way too much into too little time, and animation isn't very impressive for a movie.
fate/stay night: unlimited blade works (2015 tv series, ufotable): adaptation of the ubw route. good adaptation though some people dislike some of the changes, inserts a few scenes to try and flow from fate/zero better. can be watched without having seen f/z or the 2006 adaptation of the fate route.
fate/stay night: heaven's feel (three movies from 2018-2020, ufotable): adaptation of the heaven's feel routes. stellar animation, fairly faithful to the original VNs, but definitely relies on having seen at least UBW TV first.

fate/apocrypha: alternate universe spinoff with no returning characters and just a few vague references to the original, plus a couple cameos. has some good action scenes and some decent characters but it has like 30 characters so only some of them get any screentime or development.

fate/extra last encore: adaptation of a spinoff game. it's also an alternate universe thing with no relation to the original but it's not very good, and it is kind of built on fate/extra, the game, since it messes with that plot in some weird ways. not really recommended.

case files of lord-el melloi ii: spinoff about one of the main characters of fate/zero, kinda requires having seen fate/zero just to get his deal but it's not like, some intensive canon exercise. mostly fun detective adventures tho it gets a bit infodumpy.

fate/grand order babylonia: adaptation of a story arc in the mobile game fate/grand order. spinoff alternate universe thing with no requirement to have seen the original. very impressive animation and some really funny bits but the babylonia storyline is like the 7th part of the fgo storyline, while fgo's storyline is somewhat episodic it still feels a bit random to suddenly be thrust into it. and it's a bit too faithful to the game to the point of adapting random fights against generic monsters. its not really a story that stands on its own with this kind of adaptation, but drat is it funny and exciting at times.

carnival phantasm: goofy comedy, very funny but some of the jokes are built on jokes about the original fsn story. definitely recommend tho.

cooking with emiya family: cooking-themed spinoff because the protag of fsn likes to cook. mostly an excuse to hang out with the fsn cast some more so it does kinda depend on some existing attachment to them, but the cooking show does not have big lore.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 10, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Halloween Jack posted:

fate/zero, fate/stay night and (in terms of just having the cast of f/sn) emiya cooking are the only ones that are connected, anything else is standalone. if you want to watch the original f/sn, then watch unlimited blade works. it and the heaven's feel movies are adaptations of the second and third routes of f/sn. the first route has an anime too but it's a lot worse and ubw and hf still seem to work for people without the context of it, so it's your choice on whether you watch that one or not i guess

fate/zero is a prequel to f/sn but it's pretty different tonally and was done by another writer, some people like its darker mood though

fate/apocrypha is its own standalone story, its cast is a bit too big for them all to get proper focus but it has some fun characters and it's got a very different animation style from fsn and fzero that makes for some really cool action scenes

fgo babylonia is an adaptation of a story arc from the fate mobile game, it has fun characters and good animation but it's a bit beholden to the material it's adapting so there's some weird bits in its script

fate/extra last encore is a companion anime to the old psp game fate/extra, which has a fancy remake coming out soon. last encore itself is not generally that well liked and it makes absolutely no sense if you haven't played fate/extra so, i'm just listing it here as one you definitely shouldn't watch lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

case files of lord-el melloi ii: spinoff about one of the main characters of fate/zero, kinda requires having seen fate/zero just to get his deal but it's not like, some intensive canon exercise. mostly fun detective adventures tho it gets a bit infodumpy.
if all you know about fate is some vague stuff gathered via osmosis by being around people talking about it (like me) it's still possible to watch this and get into it just fine. I didn't really have any trouble although I'm sure there were references to stuff that went completely over my head. Just wanted to throw that out in case anyone was thinking about watching this one show specifically but didn't want to have to watch any prerequisites first.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

if all you know about fate is some vague stuff gathered via osmosis by being around people talking about it (like me) it's still possible to watch this and get into it just fine. I didn't really have any trouble although I'm sure there were references to stuff that went completely over my head. Just wanted to throw that out in case anyone was thinking about watching this one show specifically but didn't want to have to watch any prerequisites first.

This is true about every non-mainline series. They all do a good job of laying out the general mechanics of the universe that you need to know to make sense of what happens in the show.

It's just there are always 50 layers of mythology and references that fans of the franchise can smugly point at like "I get it :smug: ." But they're almost always extraneous to the plot at hand. Cause, you know: Zelretch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

if all you know about fate is some vague stuff gathered via osmosis by being around people talking about it (like me) it's still possible to watch this and get into it just fine.
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the very detailed replies! As for getting into the series, well, you can pick any random paragraph from the Type Moon wiki and it reads like an excerpt from a manifesto by a schizophrenic who lives at the library:

quote:

During the last mission together, Natalia was positioned aboard an Airbus A300 jumbo jet in flight in order to track a magus known as the “Demonic Bee User”, Odd Borzak. It was said that this magus successfully created Dead Apostles and could manipulate the Demonic Ghoul Bees under his control to use poisonous stings to increase the number of Ghouls under his power. The Ghoul Bees caused a fatal disturbance in the plane after the death of Borzak and began to infect all the passengers one by one until every single passenger had become a Ghoul. Kiritsugu, who was stationed at the plane's destination, elected to shoot down the plane after he deemed the situation too risky to allow the plane to land, sacrificing Natalia in the process. In their last conversation via radio, he admitted that she was like a mother to him. It was then that he became disillusioned with his ideal of becoming a 'hero of justice', as it was impossible to save one person without losing another. However, he continued to fight for this dream, to ensure that everything he had given up would not be in vain. He was eventually branded as the Magus Killer by the Association.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Halloween Jack posted:

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the very detailed replies! As for getting into the series, well, you can pick any random paragraph from the Type Moon wiki and it reads like an excerpt from a manifesto by a schizophrenic who lives at the library:

To be fair, 90% of the insane rambling cadence of the TM wiki is because of the poor grammar/translations from the article writers. Most of them don't have English as a first language to my knowledge.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The way the routes build on each other in the original VN is cool and it's a shame you still can't really get that full experience from the anime adaptations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was told never to look at the wiki lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Spermando posted:

Hellsing Ultimate