Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Oasx posted:

A small part of me is looking forward to the outrage from the comicsgate/gamergate crowd, that will happen when this film and the Ms. Marvel series comes out. It is going to be delicious to watch.

Just wait until mcu X-Men comes out and people are suddenly angry about the X-Men being social justice warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll be angry that the MCU X-Men aren't social justice warriors.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

I'll be angry that the MCU X-Men aren't social justice warriors.

I'll be angry if at least one X-team isn't explicitly named Teenage Mutant Social Justice Warriors. Team Leader: Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Magneto makes an impassioned appeal to universalism that almost convinces the X-men, but once they see how willing he is to resort to violence they heroically team up to stop his extremist attack on a children's detention center.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Oasx posted:

A small part of me is looking forward to the outrage from the comicsgate/gamergate crowd, that will happen when this film and the Ms. Marvel series comes out. It is going to be delicious to watch.

I hope Natalie beats up everyone of them.

She's not going to beat up Palestinian Fishermen instead, like Gal Gadot, is she?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I know we were just talking about villains always being POC and this kinda goes to counter to that but I've been rewatching X-Men: Evolution this week and goddamn I would absolutely love Christopher Judge as a live-action Magneto.

That would be sooooooood dope!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holy poo poo! Yessss!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Schwarzwald posted:

Magneto makes an impassioned appeal to universalism that almost convinces the X-men, but once they see how willing he is to resort to violence they heroically team up to stop his extremist attack on a children's detention center.

The X-Men bravely become FBI informants, giving Special Agent Colin Telpro the information he needs to raid the Brotherhood's home base before they can stage a protest downtown that would have really messed up the evening commute.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Colin Telpro presumably passes their intel along to CIA agent Mark Ultra, who gets Black Panther on the case.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

Realising this is basically what happens in Deadpool 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

josh04 posted:

Colin Telpro presumably passes their intel along to CIA agent Mark Ultra, who gets Black Panther on the case.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What I would really love to stir up the psycho-nationalists?

Having Dr. Doom be and be played by an ethnically Roma actor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

What I would really love to stir up the psycho-nationalists?

Having Dr. Doom be and be played by an ethnically Roma actor.

The normal lovely nerds would probably be fine with that assuming Doom keeps his mask

But *boy* those "Rue isn't black!" fucks would be in for a rude awakening

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Burkion posted:

The normal lovely nerds would probably be fine with that assuming Doom keeps his mask

But *boy* those "Rue isn't black!" fucks would be in for a rude awakening

Uh,

What's Rue?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samovar posted:

Uh,

What's Rue?

Oh you poor soul

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hunger-games-racist-tweets-rue_n_1380377

EDIT: this goes into it even deeper https://jezebel.com/racist-hunger-games-fans-are-very-disappointed-5896408

including why the people complaining about this are loving morons racist shitbirds

Burkion fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 8, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Burkion posted:

Oh you poor soul

EDIT: this goes into it even deeper https://jezebel.com/racist-hunger-games-fans-are-very-disappointed-5896408

including why the people complaining about this are loving morons racist shitbirds

I don't think we need to go deeper than the Huff article, which quotes them as imagining Rue as blonde after explaining that the book explicitly describes her as brown skinned.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

I don't think we need to go deeper than the Huff article, which quotes them as imagining Rue as blonde after explaining that the book explicitly describes her as brown skinned.

I will say, if you don't have the stomach for it, avoid the second link. But I shared it because I want to make it clear, this wasn't just two or three people

This was *a lot* of fuckers, all over the place. If it wasn't a sign of things to come, as this was still circa 2012/2013, I don't know what was. They never left, they're only got louder and bolder over the years.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Schwarzwald posted:

Man, and here I was worried an mcu x-men film would just be plain lukewarm boring!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Really, the logical conclusion is Deadpool leading an uprising of the united mutant and human proletariat.

Really, there's some interesting subtext with how the movies present him as basically a late-blooming, artificially induced mutant, being almost mixed-race in that he's rejected by both mutants and humanity for his dubious heritage despite how obvious it is to everyone.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The ability to problematize a film is what makes such pure ideology impossible, and no film irredeemable. No matter how dedicated Marvel is to keeping the commoners offscreen, the films remain haunted by them - if only through their conspicuous absence.

So, like, we have Zizek’s redemptive interpretation of the film - where we have the foreclosed possibility that, in sitting down and actually listening to Killmonger, T’Challa will be radicalized.

Thank you for elaborating. I think my objection, that you had read Black Panther 'too far' against the grain, was my own psychological hang-up to giving the film a way out. But the subject/art-object relation has no exit from mediation.

The manner in which the film tackles topics usually avoided in the MCU might make it the most interesting. One way being how it tackles black sexuality within and without the context of the largely asexual universe. Black Panther depicts the relationships of two powerful black men: Killmonger’s ill-fated one that is anti-social, ‘too’ obscene, and ultimately transactional and contrasts that with T’Challa’s innocent pre-sexual intimacy with Nakia that implies a smooth continuation of his royal lineage. Further, It's T'Challa's righteous love for Nakia that opens up Wakanda to the first American government agent. Sexual difference is drawn with the angry young Wankandian men lustful for war with the reasonable and sensible women from various social positions who restore order to the world.

Everyone posted:

Were the vehicles he was shooting down actually occupied by humans? I though they were basically robot planes.

No, those were Wakandian-piloted aircrafts mostly shot down by a CIA-piloted drone. T’Challa triumphantly emerges from the wreckage of the first one to soaring orchestral music.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 8, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

KVeezy3 posted:

No, those were Wakandian-piloted aircrafts mostly shot down by a CIA-piloted drone. T’Challa triumphantly emerges from the wreckage of the first one to soaring orchestral music.

Can't find a good clip oof it now, but I'm pretty sure Erik orders the pilots to go through with the plan and you can see them manning the ships before the final battle begins. Only the royal fighter jet is explicitly said to be a drone when the CIA agent takes control of it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm really late to the party but I finally saw The New Mutants and it was fine?
Maybe I'm too online but I was expecting it to be unwatchable dross but I think it was perfectly okay.

The reveal of the bear was extremely cool, at least.

What I want, and will not get, is a Marvel movie with some real teeth. I'm extremely tired of this neoliberal bullshit that gets only as progressive as "Nazis are bad, mostly."

MCU X-Men, if it comes out to be just a silly romp, will likely finally kill my interest in the MCU.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Grendels Dad posted:

Can't find a good clip oof it now, but I'm pretty sure Erik orders the pilots to go through with the plan and you can see them manning the ships before the final battle begins. Only the royal fighter jet is explicitly said to be a drone when the CIA agent takes control of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YKeuNcHY9c

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I'm really late to the party but I finally saw The New Mutants and it was fine?
Maybe I'm too online but I was expecting it to be unwatchable dross but I think it was perfectly okay.

The reveal of the bear was extremely cool, at least.

I enjoyed New Mutants more than any live action superhero movie in recent memory

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh that's a thumbnail and title that haven't aged well together

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

Oh you poor soul

I always assumed her name was Roo

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/clarknova1/status/1369043188846067712?s=21

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who said that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Billy, age 14

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eh, at this point people might just be doing it for the memes

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it really a meme when its indistinguishable from the real thing?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Considering how Marvel is about as deep as a puddle, I am guessing this involved looking in the mirror and reflecting on responsibilities without dwelling on the how policy has adversely affected black men and every sense of their being for the last 50 years. I don't know, talk about the carceral state and the war on drugs, that's an easy lay-up.

If Luke Cage couldn't do it, this will not be able to do it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

Considering how Marvel is about as deep as a puddle, I am guessing this involved looking in the mirror and reflecting on responsibilities without dwelling on the how policy has adversely affected black men and every sense of their being for the last 50 years. I don't know, talk about the carceral state and the war on drugs, that's an easy lay-up.

Falcon (looking into a mirror): Yep. I am pretty definitely a Black African American Negro

Seriously though, I would love to see some kind of Werner Herzog Interviews the Marvel Universe that was also written and directed by Werner Herzog.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 10, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Judakel posted:

Luke Cage sort of did it, in S1 anyway. Parts of it were in there, the 13th amendment suggestions of Luke getting railroaded into jail and then forced into modern-day Mandingo Fighting, the Tuskegee Study parallels to the not-voluntary experiment that gave him powers. And there's the central imagery of the show being a bullet-riddled hoodie, flipped into a symbol of power.

It was trying to say things, it just fell really hard into respectability politics as it went. And there's the plot where the councilwoman villain hypes up a crowd in Harlem into supporting the police use of military weapons to hunt a black fugitive. That's pretty unforgivable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Luke Cage's whole thing is that he's bulletproof, and the S1 plot revolved around these special bullets that he's not proof against.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Judakel posted:

Hes gonna find out he had a kid pre snap and take care of him. That's more Marvel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

Luke Cage's whole thing is that he's bulletproof, and the S1 plot revolved around these special bullets that he's not proof against.

Sounds about right for the Netflix shows, including Daredevil, about a blind man who's super power is that he can see (which I've always found funny, going back to the comics).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I just want to say that my enthusiasm and interest in WandaVision really did fall off a cliff. Even though I don't have reverence for the material it was spoofing I thought the start was strong and got a whole lot more interesting with the twist and the moral and ethical dilemmas it present but then it fell through the floor when the cackling villainess showed up and all those things it established it brushed aside and used as window dressing for two character shooting magic at each other. "They don't know what you sacrificed for them" you say to the women who trapped an entire town, involuntarily, in an existential nightmare prison.

Show got really hosed and I think the writers at Marvel should just stick to summer junkfood and not raise questions they're not willing to answer. Oh and in a post Man of Steel world, there's no reason why Marvel can't choreograph and film exciting fights between two indestructible demi-gods. There was no weight or impact in that fight.

The chemistry between the leads was good and it did have some nice character moments but I don't think it delivered on the promise from the first half of the show.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm going to give them a little credit and say they probably had 1/5th or less of the budget MoS had for that fight. But yeah it was mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Completely fair. Not to say it required that level of detail but it just felt so... slow and flat.