Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
Quad Nuttage

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

TimWinter posted:

alright, I definitely loved the game and the ending, but what did this teach you about life and how to live it? I felt like it was an amazing salve on the general existential dread of living in a big, burning down world, but I guess I missed any of the takeaways.

A lot of the whodunnits were resolved as senseless, blameless accidents of fate, from the ultimate killer being just a brain numbed vet, to the protagonist being someone who really did just break under the pressure and in a semisuicidal binge drinking episode lose their past.

I guess I might as well try to respond since it was my comment. To me it's like having read a great novel, where you can see reflections of it as you pass through the real world afterward, but it's hard to put into words without oversimplifying or sounding trite.

What I got out of it was an intensified sense of the great interiority within everyone. In video games characters are rarely more than instruments, only existing in relation to the player, without any apparent interiority; in real life, capitalism atomizes and alienates us, encourages us to instrumentalize each other, and to treat each interaction as essentially an economic transaction. One of the things that I liked about Disco Elysium was the way it concieved of the protagonist as a chaos of competing internal forces, how it gave me a window into the interiority of this man that is so drastically dissimilar to me. And then all of the non-player characters are complex and surprising in ways that makes them seem like they have the same depth and chaos within them; they'll surprise you, and they'll act in the ways that make sense to them, as if they existed before you started playing and will continue to do so when you're done. So, as trite as it sounds to say that the game reminded me that there's a huge universe in every other person, the fact is that we can't truly ever build a bridge between those universes, so the reminder is useful to me.

Or maybe I'm just so impressed with it because it relates these characters as well as a great novel does, whereas my expectations for video game writing is that I'm impressed if they rival a Cannon Films script. I read plenty of novels so I don't think that's what it is.

I also didn't take away that the characters were all basically at the mercy of fate. For me the story was more about how one is to persist in a doomed world where it feels like all opportunities to build a future worth living in have failed. The veteran doesn't find a way to do it; at least in my ending, Harry DuBois, having killed the version of himself that couldn't move on with alcohol, finds something to live for in his human relationships, primarily with Kim.

e: feeling unsure about this earnestposting

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
posting about DE is super good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I love DE but I haven't finished it yet because I haven't been in the right mood

I played a bunch of the first act with only one shoe, I couldn't find that poo poo anywhere. and the end of that kim and harry had a massive heart to heart chat on the balcony of whirling in rags, and kim found harry's shoe. it was awesome and devastating

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
after seeing it mentioned here i d/l'ed outer world and am givin' 'er a try

stealing seems to be super easy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also I got lucky on a roll and found the capitalist int he shipping container

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

the last several pages have mentioned outer wilds :raise:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mediaphage posted:

outer worlds is not outer wilds, and the former is garbage

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
put cuno and cunoesse in smash brothers

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i tried to move on to outer worlds immediately after finishing disco elysium and the comparison was very unkind to outer worlds

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg_belm6apc

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I finished reading The Dark Forest and it was good. lots of politics and philosophy, and the trisolaran teardrop attack was great. I can see why some people think it's tedious but I was down for it, a character even quotes legend of galactic heroes lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou37P25tjJY

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 11, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
iif you like peter watts you'll like the three body problem books

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh gently caress all of you i can’t be expected to keep this poo poo straight. once the thread closes the words are gone from my mind

now i have to find this other game to download ugh

SmokaDustbowl posted:

iif you like peter watts you'll like the three body problem books

definitely not guaranteed

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

definitely not guaranteed

why? they both have the same themes pretty much. like the wallfacers to watts' vampires, and the mental stamp machine, and all the nihilism lol

luo ji's fuckin literal solar system killing "magic spell" was some dark poo poo

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 11, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
DE is so good it has me thinkin about actual books

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

why? they both have the same themes pretty much. like the wallfacers to watts' vampires, and the mental stamp machine, and all the nihilism lol

luo ji's fuckin literal solar system killing "magic spell" was some dark poo poo

discussed this elsewhere i think but i found tbe trilogy to be pretty tedious. i liked the parts covering the cultural revolution, the rest is just really too convoluted for me. and i get it, before someone starts in trying to explain it to me. it’s just not my favourite.

blindsight was ok. i thought the vampires were dumb and should have been their own book (discussion ongoing in one of the space threads on this subject atm) but the book was ok. i don’t think the main thrust is very realistic but it’s interesting nonetheless

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Truman Peyote posted:

I guess I might as well try to respond since it was my comment. To me it's like having read a great novel, where you can see reflections of it as you pass through the real world afterward, but it's hard to put into words without oversimplifying or sounding trite.

What I got out of it was an intensified sense of the great interiority within everyone. In video games characters are rarely more than instruments, only existing in relation to the player, without any apparent interiority; in real life, capitalism atomizes and alienates us, encourages us to instrumentalize each other, and to treat each interaction as essentially an economic transaction. One of the things that I liked about Disco Elysium was the way it concieved of the protagonist as a chaos of competing internal forces, how it gave me a window into the interiority of this man that is so drastically dissimilar to me. And then all of the non-player characters are complex and surprising in ways that makes them seem like they have the same depth and chaos within them; they'll surprise you, and they'll act in the ways that make sense to them, as if they existed before you started playing and will continue to do so when you're done. So, as trite as it sounds to say that the game reminded me that there's a huge universe in every other person, the fact is that we can't truly ever build a bridge between those universes, so the reminder is useful to me.

Or maybe I'm just so impressed with it because it relates these characters as well as a great novel does, whereas my expectations for video game writing is that I'm impressed if they rival a Cannon Films script. I read plenty of novels so I don't think that's what it is.

I also didn't take away that the characters were all basically at the mercy of fate. For me the story was more about how one is to persist in a doomed world where it feels like all opportunities to build a future worth living in have failed. The veteran doesn't find a way to do it; at least in my ending, Harry DuBois, having killed the version of himself that couldn't move on with alcohol, finds something to live for in his human relationships, primarily with Kim.

ooooh that's the stuff, that's what I was looking for. good post. real good post.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

played chess for the first time in like ten years today

gently caress I’m bad at chess

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kazinsal posted:

played chess for the first time in like ten years today

gently caress I’m bad at chess

It's okay because Chess is a terrible game.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
chess is for rich people who think they're smart

play go it owns

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

chess is for rich people who think they're smart

play go it owns

chess masters i know, really-fuckin rich peeps i know, the venn diagram makes eyeballs

its a middle class affectation. go is middle class affectation in asia too

favored game of the really rich in america is just 'working' way too fuckin hard and not playing any games (really it's really hosed up car and plane commute and transit times). in asia its gettin drunk off your face

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

go is the one that's considered to be basically impossible to "solve" because there are so many moves, right?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

chess masters i know, really-fuckin rich peeps i know, the venn diagram makes eyeballs

its a middle class affectation. go is middle class affectation in asia too

there is no middle class, just petit bougies

anyway I can play go more than I can play chess. you can gently caress around when you play go lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

go is the one that's considered to be basically impossible to "solve" because there are so many moves, right?

it's something like:

there are more possible games of chess than there are grains of sand in africa.

there are more possible games of go than there are atoms in our galaxy.

(both suck, play doom instead)

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

it isn't solved, but there now exist computers that can utterly destroy the best human players in the world. Five or six years ago the best go program was only as good as a v. strong amateur

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

it's something like:

there are more possible games of chess than there are grains of sand in africa.

there are more possible games of go than there are atoms in our galaxy.

I can't play poker but I can play go

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you can do fun weird things in go, it's good for negotiation

chess is for people who have to win always and all the time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lysidas posted:

the last several pages have mentioned outer wilds :raise:

yeah, they are terribly closely named. i made the mistake in a discussion half a year ago or so and it still trips me now

i should pick up outer wilds up again. i bounced on it after sliding the wrong way in the ice caves and it just felt like a pain in the rear end to get back there, which killed it for me. i'm not sure why that was the one, i'd reset numerous times and redone more tedious sequences in worse games v:confused:>

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_5WflZYB68&t=138s

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

it isn't solved, but there now exist computers that can utterly destroy the best human players in the world. Five or six years ago the best go program was only as good as a v. strong amateur

yeah the program that beats humans was just one of those neural nets where they made it play against itself some insane number of times. they didn't start it with any knowledge of go, so it's just like a brute force approach to teaching it.

edit: i wonder if a human that learned to play against that program would eventually learn how to beat it, maybe it's just got some novel strategies.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

yeah the program that beats humans was just one of those neural nets where they made it play against itself some insane number of times. they didn't start it with any knowledge of go, so it's just like a brute force approach to teaching it.

edit: i wonder if a human that learned to play against that program would eventually learn how to beat it, maybe it's just got some novel strategies.

playing against an AI is loving stupid because you can't see the other persons reactions

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
everyone has their own go style. I have mine and I lose all the time but that's okay

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i really enjoyed Disco Elysium EXCEPT the ending i thought it was stupid as gently caress with how the bug thing was actually real and the killer was just a huge let down still a great game though i migth play it again

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if you don't like the cryptid i don't know how we can ever agree on anything

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I liked how the setting was sort of ambiguous if magic/ fantasy elements were real or if it was all something going on in the pc's mind. I think the thing at the end was a bit too far in that regard

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Truman Peyote posted:

p much this, yeah

thanks for this because i can't be assed to seriouspost anymore

the scene where you deliver the bad news to the wife of the man who fell through the boardwalk just loving BODYSLAMMED me and i think is a great example of what you're talking about. as soon as i walked in and saw who was sitting on the bed i was immediately thinking, 'oh my god no no no NO why did it have to be her why did i gently caress with her like that oh my god i'm so sorry why did i do that ahhhh'

it really added that extra twist of the knife to what was already an already emotional scene. something that only the medium of video games could accomplish because it was YOU who was acting like a dick earlier in the game, entirely of your own volition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bobbilljim posted:

I liked how the setting was sort of ambiguous if magic/ fantasy elements were real or if it was all something going on in the pc's mind. I think the thing at the end was a bit too far in that regard

disco elysium spoilers regarding a side mission: i liked it because the more you gave the benefit of the doubt to the researchers the more you realized that they knew the odds they were up against and that it was actually a plausible lead they were going after, even though the odds were entirely stacked against them. in addition to that one of them *saw it with their own eyes* and at the time i wasn't sure if they had convinced themselves they'd seen it or if it was just child fantasy or whatever, but the story added up. all the other lines of investigation you pursued in the game had these tiny holes that caused the whole thing to just not sit right with me, which would turn out to be correct hunches as i'd continue to unwind the plot, but theirs was always entirely consistent and only got stronger the more i investigated. it actually got to the point where near the end i fully expected there to be a sighting of the cryptid in the ending credits or something like that because it'd be such a perfect cherry on top.

of course i wasn't expecting THAT at the end