Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

johncho posted:

One thing I'm wondering about VR Boxing is if I'm punching the air and there's nothing to stop the punch, am I potentially messing up my rotator cuff/other joints?

It'd be cool if I could incorporate a bag to punch against maybe.

I think the games are tuned so that you can go at shadowboxing-level intensity. I've only played a bit so far but because you can see your punches connecting you also naturally kinda pull them instead of swinging hard past/through the target. But yeah I can definitely see how you could hurt yourself if you're not taking form into account and just swinging wildly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

prom candy posted:

I started playing a VR boxing game and doing three 2-minute rounds put me on my rear end. But I'm sure doing 8-10 90-second shifts when I'm back at hockey will be no problem...

90 second shifts? Where do you play? Everyone knows you're supposed to take at least a 5min shift. 90 seconds at half speed to save a little in the tank to make sure you can make the full 5. 90 seconds at full speed to show everybody you belong out there for a full shift then 2-4 minutes dogging it because you're dead rear end tired from going full out for 90 seconds. That's of course when the bench is full and somebody institutes the "hey guys, quick shifts" rule. Otherwise you're going to have to extend your half speed time quite a bit to extend to a full men's league pickup game shift of 10-13min.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

90 second shifts? Where do you play? Everyone knows you're supposed to take at least a 5min shift. 90 seconds at half speed to save a little in the tank to make sure you can make the full 5. 90 seconds at full speed to show everybody you belong out there for a full shift then 2-4 minutes dogging it because you're dead rear end tired from going full out for 90 seconds. That's of course when the bench is full and somebody institutes the "hey guys, quick shifts" rule. Otherwise you're going to have to extend your half speed time quite a bit to extend to a full men's league pickup game shift of 10-13min.

Quick shifts means 2 minutes plus however long it takes to get a whistle, which can often be another 2 minutes since all the refs just yell “play it” whenever anything besides a goal happens

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

V for Vegans posted:

Quick shifts means 2 minutes plus however long it takes to get a whistle, which can often be another 2 minutes since all the refs just yell “play it” whenever anything besides a goal happens

The joke in my league was if you're playing past 9pm there's no such thing as icing. Those refs want to get to bed.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

prom candy posted:

The joke in my league was if you're playing past 9pm there's no such thing as icing. Those refs want to get to bed.

I think I was 6 months into adult hockey before I heard my first icing whistle and half the people just looked very confused at the ref when it happened. It was a substitute ref, our normal dude was this old man who would wear headphones to listen to Bruins games and give us score updates

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got new skates and the verdict is: you people have no idea the pain of new skates 25 years ago.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

sellouts posted:

I got new skates and the verdict is: you people have no idea the pain of new skates 25 years ago.

It's crazy, right? Skate break-in used to be a long-rear end rite of passage. When replaced my mid-90s CCMs with Supremes a few years ago, I was mentally prepping for the pain. Baked them, and like 4 skates later they were fine. poo poo. :corsair:

So I'm fully vaccinated, my wife just got her single dose J&J shot yesterday, but vaccines for teens is a few months out and my kid is going to basically age out of youth hockey in our area (there aren't any 16U programs that aren't crazy travel or varsity, because Texas sucks rear end). I'm debating letting him go back at the end of the month, but then the fuckwad governor decided to pretend covid doesn't exist any more. And I'd feel awful going back if he couldn't play.

Son of a bitch. gently caress Texas, gently caress COVID.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There aren’t house leagues in Texas?

I played through U18 in house leagues because we couldn’t afford to travel. It was awesome.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

There are house leagues, but for whatever reason 16U is hit or miss depending on how many kids continue on from 14U. It's like a hockey dead zone. We had 16U last year, but the a year or two before that and not this coming season. It's bizarre.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Our D2 goalie is getting the boot. He's "too good" for D2 and moving up to D1, but he asked me if I wanted to take his place, mostly cuz I'm 6' 7", pretty limb-y, and everyone else on the team has said "nope" probably. I was a good keeper in soccer so I'm considering it, plus this is just my first season, so my smooth hockey brain is perhaps a little more pliable to learning goal (I'm overthinking this, for sure). Beyond the obviously huge gear investment (I have a line on some second-hand stuff), I'm pretty excited for the opportunity.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Today marks the one year anniversary since I've played hockey. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Upside: I got my first vaccine dose yesterday. So maybe I can skate in May.

End is in sight, maybe? Unless variants start murdering us all!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

scuz posted:

Our D2 goalie is getting the boot. He's "too good" for D2 and moving up to D1, but he asked me if I wanted to take his place, mostly cuz I'm 6' 7", pretty limb-y, and everyone else on the team has said "nope" probably. I was a good keeper in soccer so I'm considering it, plus this is just my first season, so my smooth hockey brain is perhaps a little more pliable to learning goal (I'm overthinking this, for sure). Beyond the obviously huge gear investment (I have a line on some second-hand stuff), I'm pretty excited for the opportunity.

Congrats on joining the brotherhood of sociopaths! At 6'7" you're already going to be harder to score on than most beer league goalies. Were you able to get some goalie skates and used gear that actually fits you?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bradf0rd posted:

Congrats on joining the brotherhood of sociopaths! At 6'7" you're already going to be harder to score on than most beer league goalies. Were you able to get some goalie skates and used gear that actually fits you?
Thanks! Looking forward to squashing the dreams of lesser hockeyists. I haven't even gotten in net yet, but a friend of mine is only ~4" shorter than I am and only used his stuff for a season so he's letting me take that for a ride and see whether I enjoy ANY of this before dumping ~$2k into goalie kit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got some cool ideas for stuff to hang/mount on a net for target practice? I started hanging soda cans from string and they make a cool crunch noise but they can only take 10-20 pucks before they fall apart. In the absence of an actual target I just pick a spot on the net and try to hit it which I guess is technically sufficient, but something with some feedback would be fun.

Unfortunately I don't have any old dryers can I shoot at all day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Washer on a string

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Get a gong or they sell magnetic targets that are fun.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

scuz posted:

Thanks! Looking forward to squashing the dreams of lesser hockeyists. I haven't even gotten in net yet, but a friend of mine is only ~4" shorter than I am and only used his stuff for a season so he's letting me take that for a ride and see whether I enjoy ANY of this before dumping ~$2k into goalie kit.

Four inches is a lot in goalie pads. You're going to want to watch out where your knees are landing on the knee stacks.

If you miss landing on those thick pads, it hurts a lot and the pads aren't going to rotate like they should when dropping down.
You'll also want to invest in knee pads.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Sometimes I wonder if I actually want to try out goalie, or am I just jealous that they get to have rad helmet designs

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

scuz posted:

mostly cuz I'm 6' 7"

:stare: if you squared up tall and never left butterfly no one in my 3-on-3 "pond" hockey would ever be able to score on you here.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Switched out my 1/2" hollow for 5/8", didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference, but I could! Finally able to get some speed on the ice, but that's probably more with me being mindful of my stance and trusting more of my stopping ability. Still can't do a two-footed hockey stop, oh well.

Bradf0rd posted:

Four inches is a lot in goalie pads. You're going to want to watch out where your knees are landing on the knee stacks.

If you miss landing on those thick pads, it hurts a lot and the pads aren't going to rotate like they should when dropping down.
You'll also want to invest in knee pads.
Good to know! I have skateboarding knee pads, is that the kinda thing you're talking about? Otherwise I have those neoprene knee gaskets.

Duke Chin posted:

:stare: if you squared up tall and never left butterfly no one in my 3-on-3 "pond" hockey would ever be able to score on you here.
Haha, that's the idea!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I bought a Sparx sharpener a month or so before everything shut down. But I moved over to 5/8" and it's been great. Definitely works well for me.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

calandryll posted:

I bought a Sparx sharpener a month or so before everything shut down. But I moved over to 5/8" and it's been great. Definitely works well for me.

In fact, I just swapped over to the steels that you sent along with the skates I bought from you, which I'm still using! They're great, thanks again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been using 5/8" for a couple years, big fan

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

scuz posted:

Switched out my 1/2" hollow for 5/8", didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference, but I could! Finally able to get some speed on the ice, but that's probably more with me being mindful of my stance and trusting more of my stopping ability. Still can't do a two-footed hockey stop, oh well.

Good to know! I have skateboarding knee pads, is that the kinda thing you're talking about? Otherwise I have those neoprene knee gaskets.

Haha, that's the idea!

Those are better than nothing but there are specific kneepads for goalie that won't interfere with your pants and leg pads.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Bauer Vapor 1X knee guards are touted to be the best, but Vapor X900 (which is drastically different) is cheap and decent if the level of play is a bit lower.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

scuz posted:

In fact, I just swapped over to the steels that you sent along with the skates I bought from you, which I'm still using! They're great, thanks again.

I'm glad they are working out for you. It's a reason I keep my old stuff in case someone new needs stuff.

I'm doing a tournament over the weekend, after a year off the ice. They are say no masks on the ice but I'll wear my CCM one I bought to be safe. I was fortunate enough to get vaccinated back in early February, but still going to mask up.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

calandryll posted:

I'm glad they are working out for you. It's a reason I keep my old stuff in case someone new needs stuff.

I'm doing a tournament over the weekend, after a year off the ice. They are say no masks on the ice but I'll wear my CCM one I bought to be safe. I was fortunate enough to get vaccinated back in early February, but still going to mask up.

I've been researching masks for hockey a little, how are the CCMs?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
They seem okay but haven't skated with one yet. I have a half visor so I got the one that is basically a normal mask. I'll let you know tomorrow morning after I play our first game.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

I've been researching masks for hockey a little, how are the CCMs?

Mine's been great, I've heard the other brands are just awful. Had to play around with the mounting angles, but it wound up being just fine to skate hard in.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

scuz posted:

Mine's been great, I've heard the other brands are just awful. Had to play around with the mounting angles, but it wound up being just fine to skate hard in.

Good to know. I read that it's made of neoprene, so it sounded like it'd half-suffocate you. Does it have a gap around the edges or something?

calandryll posted:

They seem okay but haven't skated with one yet. I have a half visor so I got the one that is basically a normal mask. I'll let you know tomorrow morning after I play our first game.

Definitely would like to hear your review when you get a minute!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Good to know. I read that it's made of neoprene, so it sounded like it'd half-suffocate you. Does it have a gap around the edges or something?

It's attached to the cage in such a way that the only part of my face that even touches the mask is the end of my nose. Tried to take some photos of me wearing the thing but you can't really see much of anything.

| |

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

For the half-visor version it is basically a normal mask that attaches to your helmet and chinstrap. Worked fine for me.

I will say that 3 games in 2 days with a year off is a terrible loving idea. I'm exhausted and hurt. The first game was my mind knowing what needs to be done but my body going naw. The second game wasn't too bad but no energy. The third game I was finally remembering how to play. My wife and daughter came out to the last game, since my daughter is all about hockey now. Had a great goal that just felt perfect leaving my stick. Center won a face-off in their zone went right to my stick and put in right over the goalie's stick-side shoulder. Even better is was right in front of where our daughter was sitting. The ref was nice enough to give me a puck to give to her.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

scuz posted:

It's attached to the cage in such a way that the only part of my face that even touches the mask is the end of my nose. Tried to take some photos of me wearing the thing but you can't really see much of anything.

| |

Ah, okay. Your pics make it more clear to me than the actual CCM pics do for some reason.

calandryll posted:

For the half-visor version it is basically a normal mask that attaches to your helmet and chinstrap. Worked fine for me.

I will say that 3 games in 2 days with a year off is a terrible loving idea.

Visor/mask chat: cool, I was wondering how breathable it would be.

Playing chat: :stonk:

We went to public skate Saturday for about 90 minutes, and jesus christ I'm old and sore. Mostly calves, although the quads are a bit tight too. I can't imagine skating 1 game, let alone 3 in 2 days, :drat:
Our season is supposed to start on Friday, and I haven't even signed up yet. Still not sure how comfortable I am with it despite being vaccinated.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my first Pfizer today to stack on top of my antibodies. I feel much better about playing now.

It was such a massive relief getting the shot. Hope the rest of you goons get yours soon if not already.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you work at a restaurant? How’d you qualify?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My company falls under critical manufacturing, according to CA’s definition.

I showed the lady my work badge and she looked at it for maybe a quarter-second and told me to have a good day. Pretty sure I could have shown her any work badge and gotten waved through. Now that they’re past the super high priority people, I get the feeling that my county is basically just letting anyone that could vaguely fall under an eligible or soon-to-be-eligible tier to get theirs. My wife got hers the day prior and they didn’t even bother to ask for proof of employment.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got my first Pfizer today to stack on top of my antibodies. I feel much better about playing now.

It was such a massive relief getting the shot. Hope the rest of you goons get yours soon if not already.

My partner will be able to get his on March 29, when they move to group 1C which includes financial workers. I won't be able to get mine until they're open to everyone on April 12.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least around here, if you check with the Walgreens app every day around 6am you have a chance of getting in. You'll probably have to search in multiple zip codes but it's worked for me.

They still verify that you're in a qualifying group so it's not a free ride but if you are it's an effective way to get your vaccine sooner (especially if you live in a poorly managed county like I do that is somehow still only doing people 65+).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s really weird and a bad habit imo to be asking people how they qualified, imo. But I kinda get it given especially in CA our state and local govt has completely failed us in every way including communicating.

Anyways there are more and more clinics in LA that have leftover doses. One was literally airdropping the sign up form to anyone who walked by (and telling people who didn’t have iPhones) because if they didn’t, they’re expiring and they wanted shots in arms.

HZ, good luck with the second dose. I think I had covid, and it knocked me on my rear end for 2-3 days.