Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

It's pretty established. David takes Captain Oram into a room saying "I want to show you the latest, and best, of my creations". It's implied that this latest generation of xenomorph is directly from experiments on Dr. Shaw. They are pretty much the exact same as the original facehugger egg sack.(That's exactly what happened.)

I jumped the gun and posted before reading the rest of the thread but i don’t care lol.

No they’re aren’t there and. The Covenant Eggs, facehuggers, chestbursters and xeno are all unique and different. They’re getting to the final form but they’re not there yet.

And I don’t think it feels smaller to me. I guess people say this but like, if you two took events in the history of the world and connected them, and then told that story, does the world feel small then? Idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I’m pro space jockey buff man. Very much so.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched the first ep of 30 coins and dammmmnnnnnnnn

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I jumped the gun and posted before reading the rest of the thread but i don’t care lol.

No they’re aren’t there and. The Covenant Eggs, facehuggers, chestbursters and xeno are all unique and different. They’re getting to the final form but they’re not there yet.

And I don’t think it feels smaller to me. I guess people say this but like, if you two took events in the history of the world and connected them, and then told that story, does the world feel small then? Idk.

This was addressed by others who pointed out the differences for me.

If it works for you and doesn't feel smaller, then it's a moot point of discussion. You like it, I don't. But when the bridge looks like this:

Prometheus (2093 AD) ---> Alien Covenant (2104 AD) -------------> Alien (2122 AD)
Humans From Earth........... Humans From Earth ....................... Humans From Earth

Then yes, it makes the universe very very small. Especially because Aliens (2179 AD) has the troops ask "Is this another bug job?", implying that other alien lifeforms have been discovered, investigated, and attacked through military operations. So with there objectively being other lifeforms in this universe, the David experiments are lame.

As others pointed out, there are implications in Prometheus that may imply Xenomorphs exist on their own, in correlation with the black goo, and David is only harnessing/mutating them to create something new*, but there already exists, possibly, a planet that naturally contains xenomorphs that the Engineers have discovered or something.

*The only issue I have with this, without revisiting the films, is that it cheapens even further David's attempts at creation, cuz it would mean he still can't create anything new, only replicate what has been created/evolved before.

I'll repeat: I liked Prometheus and Alien Covenant, cuz more Alien films are still fun, they're better than AVPR and Alien Resurrection. They just compromise what's interesting in the films that came before. I can still enjoy the originals without the newer ones bothering me. But I also a imagine how weird/funny it would be to show someone Alien, and then say "Now get this. A man-made robot who hates humanity traveled across multiple planets, harnessing bioweapons made or mutated by a humanoid race of Engineers, who created humanity by the way, in order to wipe out those humanoid aliens and us and possibly other living creatures it finds abhorrent, which inevitably lead to the creation of xenomorphs". Why can't xenomorphs just be xenomorphs? Why use the origin story of xenomorphs to replicate Greek myths and Christian imagery and the idea of Faith in an era of technology and answers? I can pick and choose what I like about them as films, but the films are both flawed, and those flaws are worth discussing.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Prometheus is gorgeous, and as a theological mystery it succeeds in a number of interesting ways. It barely qualifies as horror though, so I very much understand why a lot of Alien fans had expectations for something else and felt crestfallen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

tonedef131 posted:

Prometheus is gorgeous, and as a theological mystery it succeeds in a number of interesting ways. It barely qualifies as horror though, so I very much understand why a lot of Alien fans had expectations for something else and felt crestfallen.

I'd say Prometheus is so much horror that the characters are straight out of a 90's slasher, with their logic and choices. It's a legit creature feature with some pretty horrific moments. Alien: Covenant, however, is pretty much just an action movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched the first ep of 30 coins and dammmmnnnnnnnn

I still haven’t watched 30 Coins but have you seen any of Alex de la Iglesia’s movies? I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again: one of our best living genre filmmakers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still haven’t watched 30 Coins but have you seen any of Alex de la Iglesia’s movies? I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again: one of our best living genre filmmakers.

I haven't but I'll definitely check some out, The Day of The Beast looks good.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Dammit I missed horror video game chat (but get to enjoy the Alien discussion)

For what it’s worth if at all possible you should play resident evil in VR it’s loving terrifying that way.
Until Dawn is a lot of fun as well and has a sort of spin off VR shooter called Rush of Blood that is a lot of fun.

And because I’m a loving masochist I’m doing another play through of Alien:Isolation, I first bought it on the PS3, then got it on PS4 and just recently got a quest so I bought it on PC and modded it for VR ......when I played on the PS3 I screamed so loud my neighbours came to check on me.....this time I expect the police to be called.

VR is made for horror games.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

MacheteZombie posted:

that and common wealth are pretty fun

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

In the subject of Prometheus/alien/covenant/etc, my personal interpretation has been that the xenomorph form is the endpoint of a sort of metaphysical carcinisation, where the Xenomorph form is not something “created” so much as an archetypal form of horror and hate that exists in everything, and everything will eventually return to given enough time or fuckery.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Stink Billyums posted:

I'd also recommend Perdita Durango if you vibe with stuff like The Devil's Rejects/Natural Born Killers (or if you just want to see one of the most insane casts of the '90s - Javier Bardem, Rosie Perez, James Gandolfini, Demian Bechir and Screamin' Jay Hawkins), and El Crimen Ferpecto if you want to see his take on a Coen-esque dark crime comedy.

I've also heard good things about The Last Circus & Witching and Bitching.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

In the subject of Prometheus/alien/covenant/etc, my personal interpretation has been that the xenomorph form is the endpoint of a sort of metaphysical carcinisation, where the Xenomorph form is not something “created” so much as an archetypal form of horror and hate that exists in everything, and everything will eventually return to given enough time or fuckery.

Cabs are either the perfect organism or God is crab and creates creatures in his image.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd also recommend Perdita Durango if you vibe with stuff like The Devil's Rejects/Natural Born Killers (or if you just want to see one of the most insane casts of the '90s - Javier Bardem, Rosie Perez, James Gandolfini, Demian Bechir and Screamin' Jay Hawkins), and El Crimen Ferpecto if you want to see his take on a Coen-esque dark crime comedy.

I've also heard good things about The Last Circus & Witching and Bitching.

Nice! Thanks for the recs!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

https://movieweb.com/the-munsters-movie-director-rob-zombie/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I wasn't expecting this, but I'm glad it happened.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Kvlt! just spontaneously exploded

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh.

Okay :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hell yeah

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is it man, he's gonna break through into the mainstream with this film. Five years from now he'll be directing a Star Wars movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I never pictured the Munsters as hellbillies

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basebf555 posted:

This is it man, he's gonna break through into the mainstream with this film. Five years from now he'll be directing a Star Wars movie.

CGI Sid Haig as Darth Gummo: (chewing on a deathstick) Y'all Jedi motherfuckers are all the fuckin' same.
Bill Mosely as Ravel Cyriil(turning on his lightchainsaw) You dark side cocksuckers can't even spell "poo poo" correctly and it's in your name.
Sheri Moon Zombie: Get his rear end Gummo!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao I’m in

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If the end credits aren't set to loving Dragula I will fight everybody on the way out of the theater

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

All his movies are about family anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah I'm in.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

of course Rob and I have talked about it for weeks now but i couldnt tell you guys until it was officially announced

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Zombie is a huge Munster's fan , but that article also reminded me of Mockingbird Lane which I think would have been a good reboot of the series.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So is this gonna be a dark and edgy Munsters movie or something along the lines of a Tim Burton movie?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hollismason posted:

Zombie is a huge Munster's fan , but that article also reminded me of Mockingbird Lane which I think would have been a good reboot of the series.

It was a surprisingly interesting pilot, and I’d have loved to have seen where it went.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This feels Iike 50/50 that it could be brilliant or a disaster. Or both.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's a Rob Zombie film that isn't part of the Firefly trilogy, so I'm sure I'll hate it but I know I'll see it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

alf_pogs posted:

couldn't agree with this more. for me the heart of horror is mystery and inexplicability, not deep lore cuts

He's smart enough to know what not to put in the film, but there's nothing wrong with knowing as a creator what the answers to the mysteries are. It's a good way to not end up making a convoluted mess of unanswerable questions. It's like how actors and directors will often discuss what drives their characters and what kind of life they've led even if none of that ends up directly on screen because it isn't relevant to the story being told. Knowing that context helps you build the story you want to tell, even if it's better if it isn't directly part of that story.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TOOT BOOT posted:

So is this gonna be a dark and edgy Munsters movie or something along the lines of a Tim Burton movie?

I'm betting on the latter, like if Zombie's half the Munsters fan he seems to be then he'll want it to be true to the series. It probably won't be totally family friendly, like something along the lines of the 90's Addams Family movies but maybe a little more "adult" humor-wise.

I know Rob Zombie can be funny, but can he do it without everybody saying "gently caress" and "pussy" every 20 seconds?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Zombie's a respectful enough guy that he wants to stay true to the spirit of the classic. And he's perfectly capable of making something other than hellbilly stuff. I assume he'll try and find a line between campy and scary. Whether he nails it we'll have to wait and see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Question: what is the best horror movie with a number in the title that is not a sequel?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
28 Days Later, probably

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms comes to mind.

Or Unmasked Part 25.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Se7en, obviously

e: Honourable mentions:

The 4th Man
Ms. 45

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011