Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

faves would be House of 1000 Corpses and it's not super horror but AoP13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Question: what is the best horror movie with a number in the title that is not a sequel?

Dunno about "best", but these all come to mind:

The 7th Victim
Ms. 45
The Seventh Curse
Phase IV
Salo: 120 Days of Sodom
Five Flies on Grey Velvet
House of 1000 Corpses
Session 9
Two Orphan Vampires (Jean Rollin)
Two Thousand Maniacs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sevent Horizon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Sevent Horizon.

TENebre

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

and who can forget 13 Ghosts

me, till right now, that's who

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Fran, you should definitely check out The 4th Man, you'll love it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's too early for this, how are all of your brains able to function this quickly?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Disorder erupts as the horror goons argue as to whether popular giallo film The Square Root of Negative One Drops of Blood meets the criteria

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Iron Crowned posted:

It's too early for this, how are all of your brains able to function this quickly?

Not everyone is in the US?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm going for Series 7: The Contenders myself.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

does Pi count

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Fran, you should definitely check out The 4th Man, you'll love it

Ooh! I'd love to. I love Verhoeven. I didn't know this one could be considered horror. I'm gonna look into it sooner, then.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm in my office by 6:45AM EST, coffee in hand. If I'm awake enough to deal with co-workers dumbassery, I'm awake enough to rattle off horror movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

alf_pogs posted:

does Pi count

It's a number, being used as a number, so yes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Housemate and I have been going through X-Files from the beginning, and drat these are great little horror movies every episode. I haven't watched a lot of these since broadcast, and they hold up amazingly well. Mulder and Scully's chemistry is <chef's kiss>.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any horror movies taking place from the POV of native peoples with European colonizers as the a force of violence and terror? Surely someone must've given that a go.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any horror movies taking place from the POV of native peoples with European colonizers as the a force of violence and terror? Surely someone must've given that a go.

Not a horror movie but Apocalypto?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

This one for me for sure.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

Not a horror movie but Apocalypto?

I'm not sure stinger scenes count

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean I don't think it's anyone's favorite in the franchise but I'm still ashamed no one's mentioned Friday the 13th.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

This is a large part of The Nightingale. European colonizers in Tasmania, and it's not strictly from the indigenous POV.

Lurdiak posted:

I mean I don't think it's anyone's favorite in the franchise but I'm still ashamed no one's mentioned Friday the 13th.

You know what, I accidentally skipped this one because my brain got weirdly confused with "Not a sequel".

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Blood Quantum maybe?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

This is a large part of The Nightingale. European colonizers in Tasmania, and it's not strictly from the indigenous POV.

This was gonna be my answer, although I don’t know if it’s strictly horror. Definitely horrific though. Also really excellent!

E: I haven’t seen it yet but there is a movie called Mohawk that I think might fit the bill too

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Nightingale isn't horror, but we watched it for the bracketology thread because Kent directed it.

It should be seen by everyone though, it hosed me up really good. It's one of the more relentless films I've seen in recent years, and on a technical level it's pretty flawless. I wasn't a huge fan of The Babadook but The Nightingale is on a whole other level and made me want to see what Kent does going forward.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Unearthed Films is releasing a restoration of Hong Kong Category III classic "Dr. Lamb", so for the gorehounds itt keep an eye out because that's a good one!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Re: The Nightingale. It's a good movie, but a really tough watch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

Re: The Nightingale. It's a good movie, but a really tough watch.

Oh yea, no doubt about it. It definitely has some potentially triggering stuff in it so maybe read some reviews before diving in.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Question: what is the best horror movie with a number in the title that is not a sequel?

Transylvania 6-5000
Dracula 2000
Dracula 3000
976-EVIL

Wait, you said “best?”

Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Embrace of the Serpent isn't horror but has some pretty horrific depictions of the cruelties of colonisation. it's from the perspective of a native guide to two different scientists, one German in 1909 and one American in 1940. Large parts of the film are in various native languages and for some of them this is the first time they've ever appeared on film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Much like my Steam library im going to be permanently behind in this thread due to how limited my time on the forums is these days but re: video game chat, you gotta play SOMA. That game is absolutely fantastic, and its ending still sticks with me.

I dont remember if its a setting or a PC mod (probably the latter) but there’s a way to turn off the handful of pace and tone breaking, out of nowhere, feels like they were forced by the publisher, stealth sections. It’s awful when you’re weighing these existential choices and trying to immerse yourself in the really creepy setting and then all of a sudden you’ve failed Bad Alien Isolation segment for the 7th time.

But the game is so good that even if you can’t turn those off they are not frequent enough to otherwise ruin an incredible game.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think Mohawk is the one I had rattling around in my brain without realizing it. Some great suggestions, though, I'll definitely be adding these yo my list. I would love something like Apocalypto but focused on the unimaginable horrors of the conquistadors as a cruel unknowable force. It'd be a nice script-flip of a typical alien-invasion narrative that acts to some degree as exploitation or erasure of that experience.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

District 9 isn't quite horror, but...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can a music video count as a horror movie? Cause this owns so hard and there is something amazingly creepy about Falco bothering Ring doorbells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE6vgKrdHzk

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who would want to live in a world where Tobe Hooper's video for "Dancin' With Myself" is not considered a masterpiece?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've had multiple people tell me Spike Jonze's music video for Y Control by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is way too creepy/scary, and have even had to turn it off before for someone. :shrug:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Many of Aphex Twins's videos are spoopy

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this had a bit of an homage in the new Andrew WK videoclip for Babalon, where he really leans into the occult stuff that's sort of been in the background of his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8y36733ag

Basebf555 posted:

The Nightingale isn't horror, but we watched it for the bracketology thread because Kent directed it.

It should be seen by everyone though, it hosed me up really good. It's one of the more relentless films I've seen in recent years, and on a technical level it's pretty flawless. I wasn't a huge fan of The Babadook but The Nightingale is on a whole other level and made me want to see what Kent does going forward.

man i loved The Nightingale too. i think it's probably the best aussie film in years, just completely uncompromising on the message it wants to send.

my one complaint is that it shows the aussie outback in all its absolute stunning raw beauty, so i wish there was a widescreen cut of it just for more

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Nightingale is incredible and also very hard to watch

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

this had a bit of an homage in the new Andrew WK videoclip for Babalon, where he really leans into the occult stuff that's sort of been in the background of his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8y36733ag

As someone who knows some of the Andrew wk lore this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

As someone who knows some of the Andrew wk lore this is amazing.

The what now