Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Decent tequila recommendation? Primary use will be margaritas but maybe the occasional sip/shot?

Edit: not trying to break the bank-sub $50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
There's a ton of good tequila in that price range and it's difficult to be more specific unless you list some flavors you want or some other tequilas you like. Look for anything that says "100% de agave" or "puro de agave" and you'll be fine.

Edit: You want a blanco for margaritas, and a good one will also be good for sipping/shots, but I like reposados too there. Don't bother with añejos unless you turn out to love tequila, they're usually overpriced.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lunazul or Sauza Hornitos is the go to budget option.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What can I use instead of Pechaud's that doesn't have red food dye? I'm allergic to it.

If it matters, I'm just using it in drinks like a Sazerac, and already using Old Fashioned bitters.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

PRADA SLUT posted:

What can I use instead of Pechaud's that doesn't have red food dye? I'm allergic to it.

If it matters, I'm just using it in drinks like a Sazerac, and already using Old Fashioned bitters.

Dashfire Creole bitters

These are pretty tasty and from what I’ve read they don’t use any food dye in their products

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Joined the Jungle Bird crew tonight. First one was fine, but the pineapple I was using to juice was more tart than the juice the recipe was using, so second one was perfect with just a bit more simple.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Me and the better half are just starting into a cocktail day /evening, and we're thinking of taking a venture into the tiki side a bit more - any recommendations for something a bit out of the ordinary?

We have a pretty well stocked bar so we shouldn't struggle for ingredients.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Olpainless posted:

Me and the better half are just starting into a cocktail day /evening, and we're thinking of taking a venture into the tiki side a bit more - any recommendations for something a bit out of the ordinary?

We have a pretty well stocked bar so we shouldn't struggle for ingredients.

Here’s one I like. Both the gin and the rum variants are excellent.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

And for something more out of the ordinary:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
How about a Punchy's First Strike

Punchy’s First Strike (Tavern Road, Boston)
.75 oz Cherry Heering
.75 oz Clement Créole Shrubb
.25 oz Allspice Dram.
.75 oz Becherovka
.75 oz lemon

Dry shake, pour over crushed ice in a double old-fashioned glass.
Garnish with 5 dashes of Peychaud’s.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I might make this one tonight. Is that the app that's not available for android?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

.75 oz Cherry Heering
.25 oz Allspice Dram.
.75 oz Becherovka
.75 oz lemon

I might make this one tonight. Is that the app that's not available for android?

That app is Mixel; definitely available on Android, not sure about Apple.

Not terribly unusual but falernum is delicious, get John D Taylor.

I also second the Humuhumunukunukuapua’a.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 6, 2021

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Cheers. Plenty to be getting started with here!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Just made one of these. Wonderful stuff.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

This sounds pretty cool! Looking it over though it advises a 1:1 honey syrup which you'll find has way too much water in it. With honey syrup you really only need to add enough water to produce something that flows freely out of a jigger and into a shaker, so 3:1 honey:water is all you need to do.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Think I may have overblended this one a little, but not bad at all. Will give it another go to get it down pat. I like most things based off chartreuse anyway...

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

prayer group posted:

This sounds pretty cool! Looking it over though it advises a 1:1 honey syrup which you'll find has way too much water in it. With honey syrup you really only need to add enough water to produce something that flows freely out of a jigger and into a shaker, so 3:1 honey:water is all you need to do.

I cracked open a fresh coconut the other night and was serving these in it. I think in this particular case it a 1:1 is perfectly suitable considering this drink has 3oz coconut water and still calls for seltzer. It also seems that this was probably the standard honey syrup ratio from the tiki era, if you put the 1oz called for in a Navy Grog in at 3:1 it would gag you with sweetness.

Olpainless posted:

Think I may have overblended this one a little, but not bad at all. Will give it another go to get it down pat. I like most things based off chartreuse anyway...
As pointed out above, this is meant to be a large format drink where flavor subtleties are able to come through and nothing dominates. May seem watered down if you just finished a Manhattan but everyone really enjoyed them when I served them as the first drink of the night.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

As pointed out above, this is meant to be a large format drink where flavor subtleties are able to come through and nothing dominates. May seem watered down if you just finished a Manhattan but everyone really enjoyed them when I served them as the first drink of the night.

Ahhh, nothing like that was the issue, just a touch eager on the blender that pushed it a little towards slush. The flavours are good and i think it'll be a repeat fixture.

Human Tornada posted:

.75 oz Cherry Heering
.25 oz Allspice Dram.
.75 oz Becherovka
.75 oz lemon

Couple of gaps here to correct unfortunately but that can be solved when payday rolls around next!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eSports Chaebol posted:

Roku is literally Japanese for “six” and it has six Japanese non-traditional gin botanicals

picked up a bottle of this after seeing y'all talk about it and it really is nice, the green tea/yuzu comes through extremely well

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That app is Mixel; definitely available on Android, not sure about Apple.

I also second the Humuhumunukunukuapua’a.

This is surprisingly easy to drink.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Olpainless posted:

Ahhh, nothing like that was the issue, just a touch eager on the blender that pushed it a little towards slush. The flavours are good and i think it'll be a repeat fixture.
Oh ok, if all you have is a blade style blender try just shaking it. That drink isn’t meant to be a frappe, when they say flash blend they are taking about in a spindle blender.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Just enough lime to cut through the sugar and bring out those falernum flavors, with the orange sneaking in behind.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Make sure to add soda water after you shake though. Don’t shake with soda.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Seems like maybe the word is getting out about Roku. It used to be readily available for 25 bucks everywhere I went, but now my local Total Wine says they’re out of stock until July, the other superstore near here is sold through their stock, and even Drizly only lists one store in my area as having any.

It’s gin, so they’ll be able to ramp up production and meet demand eventually, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s set at a premium price point in the near future.

Edit: the one store on drizly also doesn’t have it :(

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 7, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Roku has been $33 here for awhile

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Roku has been $33 here for awhile

yeah was 29.99 here but it'd be reasonable at a mid-30s price point hendricks/plymouth/etc

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got a bottle a couple weeks ago and I like it. It’s in stock at my Total Wine in CA for $23.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Also made that Humuhumunukunukuapua'a last night, pretty good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’m glad people are enjoying it! Those who like it should also try the rum variant, as it’s a whole different experience.

I love your garnish by the way! Lately I have been a fan of this style, which on top of having a fun Bauhaus look, is easy to prepare and, as a bonus, the space between the citrus peel and the cherry makes it easy to “clinch” firmly on the rim of the glass. I first saw this on the Youtube channel Cocktail Chemistry:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there some sort of cheat/reference sheet of different bitters to use for different cocktails (that aren't part of the 'normal' prep, like angostura+old fashioned)? I've got a handful of bottles here but don't really use them unless called for.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

For want of Roku, I tried a split bottle of Botanist the other day. Not really impressed. It’s a mild sip- my partner thought I had added tonic when I gave her a straight pour- with a conservative botanical profile. Soft and grassy. Beautiful bottle, but in my opinion that’s where the value lies with this one.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there some sort of cheat/reference sheet of different bitters to use for different cocktails (that aren't part of the 'normal' prep, like angostura+old fashioned)? I've got a handful of bottles here but don't really use them unless called for.

I feel like most reference guides out there would be pretty basic, ie only covering ango, peychauds, maybe an orange bitter or two, and probably not abnormal drinks. TBH the best way is just to experiment, I add bitters on top of a lot of cocktails that don't ask for it, one of my favorites is ango floated on top of a whiskey sour, and I'll add some to a dark and stormy etc. I'd say start playing around, if a drink could benefit from something brighter, try orange or grapefruit and see what that does.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

nwin posted:

Decent tequila recommendation? Primary use will be margaritas but maybe the occasional sip/shot?

Edit: not trying to break the bank-sub $50

My go-to is El Jimador. Its like $20-23 a bottle, but way better than Cuervo or the like.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Perhaps I trusted Martin Cate a bit too much because I bought a bottle of Rhum JM White only to realize that the Smugglers Cove book has maybe 3 drinks that use it. Aside from Ti' Punch and "use it in place of your Plantation 3 Stars and see what happens", what are some things I can do with a liter of 110-proof rhum agricole?

For the rest of the recommended rum styles in the book, I am currently using and generally enjoy:
Young pot still: Smith & Cross
Young blended: Plantation 3 Stars
Aged blended: El Dorado 5yr and Appleton Reserve
Aged column still: Angostura 7
Black blended: Gosling Black Seal
Black overproof: Plantation OFTD
Rhum agricole blanc: Rhum JM White
Rhum agricole vieux: Maybe one day I'll find a place near Seattle that carries a bottle of aged rhum agricole for less than $70

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s always fun to try old standards with a new bottle. Daiquiris, Hemingway daiquiris, old fashioneds, manhattans, Negronis, sidecars, martinis, etc. You’d be surprised how good they are with just about any spirit, with minor tweaks here and there to fit the general flavor profile if necessary. One of the most popular drinks I “came up” with was essentially a bourbon mai tai. Agricole or mezcal Negronis are wonderful. Tequila sidecars are basically (a type of) margaritas.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It feels like knowing your way around a liquor cabinet is less about knowing what goes together and more about knowing what doesn't go together. It's a smaller list.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I recently got myself some green Chartreuse and Luxardo Maraschino, and I've been trying my hand at making the Last Word. (I always have gin.) So far, I'm feeling like it's just a little too limey? I've sampled Chartreuse alone and I really like it, though I'm also very much interested in mixing it since it's so powerful (both in flavor and ABV). But that lime, I dunno. It feels like a lot. Anyone else had that experience? I don't have any brandied cherries lying around for garnish, maybe that's the issue. And I am freshly squeezing the lime juice, if you were wondering. I can't guarantee that they're the most perfect limes ever, but there's only so much I can do.

I'm looking at trying some vermouth-based cocktails with it instead (Bijou, Chartreuse Martini) since I feel like that might be a better vehicle for it to show off the flavors. That's probably what I'll be doing next regardless. But I still like the idea of the Last Word... Maybe I just need to use less lime juice, or more of everything else. (Each lime seems to spit out a perfect ¾ oz so I could just bump everything else to 1oz, though that will probably knock me silly, so maybe I can just toss some of the juice)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

lavaca posted:

Perhaps I trusted Martin Cate a bit too much because I bought a bottle of Rhum JM White only to realize that the Smugglers Cove book has maybe 3 drinks that use it. Aside from Ti' Punch and "use it in place of your Plantation 3 Stars and see what happens", what are some things I can do with a liter of 110-proof rhum agricole?

This is the rhum you want in a banana batida. I will also use if 50/50 with blackstrap rum in mai tais occasionally.

Also works nicely in place of cachaça in a caipirinha.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I recently got myself some green Chartreuse and Luxardo Maraschino, and I've been trying my hand at making the Last Word. (I always have gin.) So far, I'm feeling like it's just a little too limey? I've sampled Chartreuse alone and I really like it, though I'm also very much interested in mixing it since it's so powerful (both in flavor and ABV). But that lime, I dunno. It feels like a lot. Anyone else had that experience? I don't have any brandied cherries lying around for garnish, maybe that's the issue. And I am freshly squeezing the lime juice, if you were wondering. I can't guarantee that they're the most perfect limes ever, but there's only so much I can do.

I'm looking at trying some vermouth-based cocktails with it instead (Bijou, Chartreuse Martini) since I feel like that might be a better vehicle for it to show off the flavors. That's probably what I'll be doing next regardless. But I still like the idea of the Last Word... Maybe I just need to use less lime juice, or more of everything else. (Each lime seems to spit out a perfect ¾ oz so I could just bump everything else to 1oz, though that will probably knock me silly, so maybe I can just toss some of the juice)

If you’d like to ease back on the lime’s perceived acidity, you could try keeping the quantity the same, but juicing your limes about six hours ahead of time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Both the Last Word and the Aviation give me fits with the citrus juice. I find that some days I want a lot, some only a little; and the less I use, in either case, the clearer the final product is (which is especially important in the case of the Aviation, which is supposed to end up sky-blue and crystal clear, but with a half lemon in it it always looks weirdly pink/gray even if I fine-strain it).

I've tried omitting the citrus entirely in both cases, and it doesn't really kill it or ruin the character, just makes it stronger. Which I hate because I love citrus and feel like I'm betraying it. Maybe I should just dissolve some citric acid in it idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you want to play round, citric acid + malic acid + sugar + citrus bitters are all needed to get closer to the real thing, but there's nothing saying omitting one will make a bad drink.