Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean sure it's very nice that Bergman and Agnes Varda and such get to have luxurious collectors edition box sets but what's the point of all this physical media crap if Speed doesn't get the respect it deserves? They've let Keanu down and by extension they've let all of us down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I mean sure it's very nice that Bergman and Agnes Varda and such get to have luxurious collectors edition box sets but what's the point of all this physical media crap if Speed doesn't get the respect it deserves? They've let Keanu down and by extension they've let all of us down.

Maybe they'll release a Keanu box down the line

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Maybe they'll release a Keanu box down the line

The Keanu Cube.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

I went with Oleanna, The Last Detail, and Hardcore—all region-free, all favorites.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nihonniboku posted:

So, I'm looking for an alternative means of storing my movie collection. I got rid of the tall Ikea Billy bookcases that I used for over a decade to store them, and I've also cut way back on my movie collection. For a while I would buy pretty much any movie I saw and liked, even if I never planned to watch it again.

I am in need of a new media console, so I thought it would be great if I could find one with drawers deep enough to store the blu-rays spine up. The width of a bluray case is just over 5 inches, but most media consoles with drawers, the drawers are 5 inches or less. Shockingly, I've only managed to find one with drawers deep enough, but it's kind of more than I would like to spend, especially once you take into account shipping and tax.

https://www.cb2.com/congo-media-credenza/s559147

Does anybody have any suggestions? Am I just not thinking outside the box enough? I did move into a new place with these built in-shelves in the wall that are nearly 2 feet deep, I suppose I could get some kind of basket or something to store them in that way. I know this is kind of the antithesis of this thread, given that so many of you have entire walls in their homes dedicates to their movie collection. But it's where I am right now. Anyone have any thoughts?

My new solution is these fabric bins put in the bottom of an IKEA entertainment center. They fit two rows of Blu Rays snugly.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Herringbone-14-25-in-W-x-5-5-in-H-x-10-69-in-D-Gray-Fabric-Bin/1000184939

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

My new solution is these fabric bins put in the bottom of an IKEA entertainment center. They fit two rows of Blu Rays snugly.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Herringbone-14-25-in-W-x-5-5-in-H-x-10-69-in-D-Gray-Fabric-Bin/1000184939

Thanks. I might just have to go with something like that.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Basebf555 posted:

It feels like a personal attack that Speed isn't getting a fancy Best Buy steelbook, and to make it worse the standard packaging looks like poo poo. We're talking about a classic 90's action film here people, show some respect!

You mean something like this?

I pulled this from GeekGab on Instagram, who’s a decently reliable source for Blu-ray news, especially steelbook news. I don’t think the preorders are up yet but should be soon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
No Dennis Hopper so 8/10 but still miles better than the standard packaging.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Speed and The Fugitive are perfect popcorn action movies. Great pacing, great lines, and sets.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nihonniboku posted:

Thanks. I might just have to go with something like that.

I'm pretty sure my setup is one of those Besta TV stands with no drawers or dividers, which can accommodate 6 flat bins or 12 stacked two high.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boywhiz88 posted:

Speed and The Fugitive are perfect popcorn action movies. Great pacing, great lines, and sets.

Actually the best summer blockbuster action movie of all time is *checks notes* Independence Day.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

I'm pretty sure my setup is one of those Besta TV stands with no drawers or dividers, which can accommodate 6 flat bins or 12 stacked two high.

Yeah, I actually think my current TV stand is an old Besta shelving unit that I converted into a TV stand. It's just 13 years old and has completely had it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

The Indicator/Powerhouse Sale is now Live

I grabbed:
Roadgames (Limited Edition),
The Pillow Book (Limited Edition),
The Last Detail,
The Collector,
Night of the Demon,
Modern Romance (Limited Edition),
Hardcore,
Experiment in Terror,
and Body Double

All of these are Region Free except Roadgames, which isn't listed as on sale, but was discounted to about 16 pounds.

I highly recommend grabbing their Eyes of Laura Mars if you don't already own it. I have the barebones USA release. This one has a lot of good supplements, and it's Region Free as wel.

Track 29 is Region 2 only. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Actually the best summer blockbuster action movie of all time is *checks notes* Independence Day.

The experience of seeing Independence Day on opening weekend is mostly lost to history but let me tell you, it was loving amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My parents went to see it and told me the title and I was like that sounds like a boring historical film and then they told me it was about aliens and destruction and I was like what the...

I made people take me too it 4 times.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

The experience of seeing Independence Day on opening weekend is mostly lost to history but let me tell you, it was loving amazing.

I want to say Independence Day was the first time I ever encountered a Thursday midnight premiere. Several theaters in my area had screenings at 3 am, 4 am, 5 am, etc. It was nuts.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I saw Independence Day on opening weekend with a packed crowd and right when they are attacking the mothership "enjoy a refreshing coke" popped up on the screen but the sound kept playing. Probably took them five or ten minutes to stop playing the film, then they resumed from that point and gave us free vouchers when we were exiting the theatre. People were throwing popcorn and poo poo, never seen anything like it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The experience of seeing Independence Day Jurassic Park on opening weekend is mostly lost to history but let me tell you, it was loving amazing.

I know this goes against the grain but Independence Day is the first movie I remember walking out of and being really disappointed. I think the ad campaign that made it seem like the movie was the second coming of Christ didn't help.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Jurassic Park is my vote; never saw Terminator 2 in theaters otherwise that would have been my pick. I think I saw JP 6 times in its original theatrical run.

Edit: it’s extremely annoying that I would have to buy a box set of crap I don’t want to get JP on UHD. I hate these “box set only” releases. And where’s Lawrence!!! :argh::argh::argh:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david_a posted:

Jurassic Park is my vote; never saw Terminator 2 in theaters otherwise that would have been my pick. I think I saw JP 6 times in its original theatrical run.

I saw both of them in the theater and they equally rocked my socks off. I'm sure a lot of people on here know this because I say it a lot and made Terminator 2 a MOTM thread but that's the first movie I saw that got me hooked on movies as a whole. People who aren't old enough to have seen that when it came out don't get the experience of seeing this grand spectacle that was like nothing that came before it. Everything's a bloated explodey spectacle now. But at that time Terminator 2 blew people's minds. And obviously it's still great and none of those action figures smashing together movies we have now even touch it.

A lot of times if you wait a bit they unbundle the movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

A lot of times if you wait a bit they unbundle the movies.

Usually, but there's been enough exceptions now that you can't really guarantee it. Lawrence of Arabia came out in that set almost a year ago now, and still no sign of an individual release. The Jurassic Park set came out almost two years ago, so it's definitely weird and makes you think they just don't have any plans to release them individually.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I know this goes against the grain but Independence Day is the first movie I remember walking out of and being really disappointed. I think the ad campaign that made it seem like the movie was the second coming of Christ didn't help.

The Fifth Element is mine, the only reason I didn't walk out was because I was with friends who were loving it, and I was their ride.

I feel like The Phantom Menace was the last real blockbuster, but DVD was what did them in.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

hell yea. also the first movie i absolutely had to see again in theaters. saw it twice. once with my parents another with my uncle.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Saw The Arrival for a friend's birthday when I was 11 and the Independence Day trailer ran before it. Boy did we all instantly wish we were seeing that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

Saw The Arrival for a friend's birthday when I was 11 and the Independence Day trailer ran before it. Boy did we all instantly wish we were seeing that.

At least the Arrival had an innovative alien design for the time

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Yeah no The Arrival was good IMO.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

CPL593H posted:

That marketing campaign made it seem like an actual serious movie about aliens annihilating Earth. Young Ricky was sooo pissed walking out the theater opening day. Couldn’t understand why anyone enjoyed it. And I’m the kind of person that likes Michael Bay flicks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fly Ricky posted:

That marketing campaign made it seem like an actual serious movie about aliens annihilating Earth. Young Ricky was sooo pissed walking out the theater opening day. Couldn’t understand why anyone enjoyed it. And I’m the kind of person that likes Michael Bay flicks.

I was 12 and it seemed deadly serious to me at the time, that's a big part of the magic. Another year or two and maybe I would've laughed at it, who knows.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I was 5 the summer when Twister & Independence Day came out and though I was super young I still remember how insanely loud both were. I'm a huge ID4 fan but probably has a lot to do with the age I saw it. Twister to this day remains the loudest movie I've ever seen in theaters. This year is its 25th and I hope they gimme a 4K Atmos UHD.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Usually, but there's been enough exceptions now that you can't really guarantee it. Lawrence of Arabia came out in that set almost a year ago now, and still no sign of an individual release. The Jurassic Park set came out almost two years ago, so it's definitely weird and makes you think they just don't have any plans to release them individually.

Yup. I’m sure I’ll get flak for this, but I really just want the first Back to the Future also and I know there is 0% chance there will ever be a standalone release of that. For Jurassic Park I’m cynical enough to think they are intentionally bundling them because how else will they get people to buy a JPIII UHD.

david_a fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 12, 2021

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
MTV's marketing campaign made Independence Day seem very real and very imminent but the hosts were all partying at a giant pool party. I believed it was happening and these people were just partying through it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My "best summer blockbuster childhood experience" hands down goes to Jurassic Park. I saw it 4 times in the theater as a ten year old and it was loving magical.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Given the choice I'd rather watch the Arrival. It's not a great film or anything but it's a cool piece of schlock. Independence Day is just loud and somehow very schmaltzy.

david_a posted:

For Jurassic Park I’m cynical enough to think they are intentionally bundling them because how else will they get people to buy a JPIII UHD.

I was thinking this too because there are all kinds of cool movies that come bundled with the garbage rear end sequels no one will buy otherwise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Given the choice I'd rather watch the Arrival. It's not a great film or anything but it's a cool piece of schlock. Independence Day is just loud and somehow very schmaltzy.

The director's cut is worse, it contains a subplot about Randy Quaid's daughter trying to get laid that cumulates to her boyfriend saying something about how it's ok because they'll both die as virgins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I ended up buying Predator twice on UHD when I realized they were never gonna release Predator 2 individually so I bought the set after I'd already bought Predator like a year earlier.

Totally worth it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I ended up buying Predator twice on UHD when I realized they were never gonna release Predator 2 individually so I bought the set after I'd already bought Predator like a year earlier.

Totally worth it.

Too bad we're stuck with Predators and The Predator

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

The director's cut is worse, it contains a subplot about Randy Quaid's daughter trying to get laid that cumulates to her boyfriend saying something about how it's ok because they'll both die as virgins.

If there's one thing that movie doesn't need it's being longer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPL593H posted:

I remember Siskel & Ebert reviewing this movie right before it came out and they didn't like it. After a huge opening weekend, they reviewed it again thinking they may have missed something.

They didn't.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CPL593H posted:

I was thinking this too because there are all kinds of cool movies that come bundled with the garbage rear end sequels no one will buy otherwise.

*stares in Men in Black*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I remember Siskel & Ebert reviewing this movie right before it came out and they didn't like it. After a huge opening weekend, they reviewed it again thinking they may have missed something.

They didn't.

I think the only reason people still like it is nostalgia. It's not good.