Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This whole situation does make you wonder how Meguro ever made it to 33 years old. If I'm following correctly Masaki was identified as a crazy genius at 14, cloned then, and the new Masaki actually lived a normal life? So we're still talking about clones living full lives, not showing up full-grown out of a vat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looks like I was right about Hayami having the same "enjoys pain" thing but without the "murderous insanity."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

No Wave posted:

This whole situation does make you wonder how Meguro ever made it to 33 years old. If I'm following correctly Masaki was identified as a crazy genius at 14, cloned then, and the new Masaki actually lived a normal life? So we're still talking about clones living full lives, not showing up full-grown out of a vat?

That seems to be the case here, but there has to be some sort of accelerated growth technology possible with the clones, if only to explain why they had a properly sized heart to send to Ohma.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

That seems to be the case here, but there has to be some sort of accelerated growth technology possible with the clones, if only to explain why they had a properly sized heart to send to Ohma.
I mean didn't Tiger Niko already pin down Ohma like a decade ago? He could already have started the cloning process around the time he made contact with Setsuna and they anticipated a heart transplant because Tiger Niko was going to force Ohma to learn the advance. But accelerated cloning isn't off the table, I'm just in the camp that Hayami here is actually 19-20 years old

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yumigahama is 23 years old lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That’s a rough 23

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Momma always warned him his face would get stuck like that, but he didn't listen.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
"Lines that makes him pissed off the most: Wait, you're younger than me?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well drat, no wonder he wasn't that much of a threat at the end of the day.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 102

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Are they implying there's more going on with Hayama Masaki over Meguro Masaki? Maybe they induced some Saw Pang skull development in for good measure.
Also the Elbow was siiiick.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Caidin posted:

Are they implying there's more going on with Hayama Masaki over Meguro Masaki? Maybe they induced some Saw Pang skull development in for good measure.
Also the Elbow was siiiick.

I think the implication here is that the cloning took place long before the original Meguro was killed. I mean it makes sense if we're not dealing with magical clones that turn into an adult in like 2-3 years. The tech having been around for say, decades would make sense and opens up other possibilities.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I think the implication here is that the cloning took place long before the original Meguro was killed. I mean it makes sense if we're not dealing with magical clones that turn into an adult in like 2-3 years. The tech having been around for say, decades would make sense and opens up other possibilities.

Well yeah, but I was referring more more toward old Masaki being confused new Masaki wasn't killed by his throw. I guess it could be just that he didn't realize his younger "brother" had the same pain going on? It's kinda hard to tell if the original was lucid enough to recognize the whole cloning thing going on. He could get weird.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Incredibly good fight, real glad that Sandro's been picking up the pace

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Finally, we get to see purgatory rules hurt the purgatory fighter. Jurota is too hyped to throw Masakai for a ring out, and he can't kill him either for a win. That makes it really hard for him to deal with Masakai's pain stuff.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I mean in real life we have had cloning technology we could have used on humans for decades as of now, just not doing it for ethical reasons.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jurota's going over clean, I can feel it. He's way too dedicated to the fundamentals to lose to a gimmick.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tweet my meat posted:

Jurota's going over clean, I can feel it. He's way too dedicated to the fundamentals to lose to a gimmick.
The fact that Jurota sustained a serious injury at this point in the fight makes me think he'll win. Throwing with his other shoulder or whatever.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I have a feeling Masaki is going to win because he is just now unleashing his flashback, and his flashback is "The man I was cloned from doing murderous training to me."

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This is probably one of my favorite fights so far. Medel was built up as a top of the top tier opponent, but didn't really live up to the hype in his actual fight. Yumigahama was hyped up as being super strong, but it turned out he wasn't actually that strong compared to the other fighters and he was just another one of Metsudo's pet projects. Jurota feels like the real deal, and when they say he's on the level of someone like Kanoh or Kuroki I believe it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Didn't the author get cold feet or something after he introduced Medel as the Kuroki of boxing and then decided to tone him down?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This fight adheres to my belief that both parties should look good. This is very much the best fight in the tournament and actually overtook Julius vs Toa for me as the previous best fight.

Caidin posted:

Didn't the author get cold feet or something after he introduced Medel as the Kuroki of boxing and then decided to tone him down?

Yep, but I will re-iterate that it would have been cool for Purgatory to have accumulated some public fighters that were just too good to stay in that environment and went to the underworld to fight more unrestricted.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've gotta admit, my expectations were really low when the bracket was decided at first with this being a judo match focused around the least interesting character from Asura but drat if I'm not invested now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, what a great fight!

So Hayami is hosed up, but in a different way from his brother. That's a twist I actually didn't see coming. It kind of feels like a retcon to say that Meguro had this other brother the whole time who he didn't actually murder, but whatever. It's just some fun melodrama.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the previous chapter made it clear that they are not actually brothers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Begemot posted:

drat, what a great fight!

So Hayami is hosed up, but in a different way from his brother. That's a twist I actually didn't see coming. It kind of feels like a retcon to say that Meguro had this other brother the whole time who he didn't actually murder, but whatever. It's just some fun melodrama.

He didn't, Hayami is a clone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arashiyama probably has one more flashback in the tank, the question is whether or not Meguro has one more in him too

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there any out for Arashiyama at this point? It seems like his only option is to suck it up and ring out Hayami.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any out for Arashiyama at this point? It seems like his only option is to suck it up and ring out Hayami.

He could try to dislocate all four of Masaki's limbs with locks and leave Masaki totally unable to get up after a 10-count.

Alternatively, apply a chokehold and choke out Masaki.

Not sure how Jurota could achieve either of those with only one functional arm against someone who gets pleasure from pain, though.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

If Arashiyama wins, it's gonna be a chokehold I bet. Either using his non-usable arm somehow, as is the trope, or a lapel choke, which seems very in line with him being the highest exalt of judo.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Still pulling for Masaki here to even up the win count so team Kengan doesn't need murder cop to win.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zerilan posted:

Still pulling for Masaki here to even up the win count so team Kengan doesn't need murder cop to win.

The possibility still remains for Masaki to win by dying.

I.e. Jurota proves himself the "better" fighter, but he can't do it within Purgatory rules.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hayami bragging about getting one over the worm.and having the ultimate fighter make that more likely

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I am disturbed and saddened by this lack of support for our kind smiling boy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they need murder cop to win and not murder his opponent then that is really kazzy's fault for bringing him along. dude doesn't even bother to pretend that he isn't a serial killer.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if they need murder cop to win and not murder his opponent then that is really kazzy's fault for bringing him along. dude doesn't even bother to pretend that he isn't a serial killer.

Kazzy had no choice but to bring murder cop due to Kengan Politics.

Good news is we can be FAIRLY certain murdercop is not a worm, as he approves of Ryuki's worm-murder spree.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

AtomikKrab posted:

Kazzy had no choice but to bring murder cop due to Kengan Politics.

Good news is we can be FAIRLY certain murdercop is not a worm, as he approves of Ryuki's worm-murder spree.

but doesn't the worm also approve of ryuki's worm murder spree

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Eopia posted:

but doesn't the worm also approve of ryuki's worm murder spree

Not really, some factions do, some factions don't.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That's part of what I like about Kengan. The evil forces aren't some monolithic block of pure evil. They have as much or more factionalism and in-fighting as our protagonists do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also our protagonists are a bunch of psychopaths