Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Since they cancelled Buzzcocks I think Mock the Week & HIGNY are the only shows going on nearly 20 series, I'm pretty sure they get all the prompts ahead of time to come up with material. HIGNY isn't even a comedy show it's more like a news discussion with occasional jokes.

I think "Good News Week" was Australia's version of HIGNY (which stopped airing years ago). Whilst I like that show, all this talk really makes me miss a show we had called "The Panel" which just shot the poo poo about what happened during the week. Such good chemistry, so laid back and totally organic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

False posted:

Thanks to whoever mentioned Mythic Quest in the year in review thread!

Nothing earth-shattering but just a really likable cast - light-hearted, and fun. The Australian lead is really charming and I hope to see her in more stuff. Also, that fifth episode ... really impressive they were able to pull that off (TLDR - they crammed an entirely new, Halt and Catch Fire-lite TV show season into a single episode).

That was me! Glad you liked it.

I've been hoping to see her in more stuff too. She did star in Content which was a short series about wannabe influencer culture designed to be entirely consumed on a smartphone which is super clever and funny, if not a little one note.
Trailer here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRWvivMjHM

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Simone Magus posted:

New season of Good Girls!!!!!

I sort of checked out in the middle of the previous season. Does it get good again?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

cant cook creole bream posted:

I sort of checked out in the middle of the previous season. Does it get good again?

I don't really remember it getting worse at that point, but imo the new season is firing on all cylinders so far (4 eps in)

Retta is so fuckin great!!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also, whoever is picking the music for the show is incredible. I've already heard:

Karen O and Danger Mouse covering Velvet Underground, Silver Jews, and the freaking Swans.

Extremely deep cuts for this kind of show!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How the gently caress did Equalizer get renewed for season 2.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Looten Plunder posted:

I think "Good News Week" was Australia's version of HIGNY (which stopped airing years ago). Whilst I like that show, all this talk really makes me miss a show we had called "The Panel" which just shot the poo poo about what happened during the week. Such good chemistry, so laid back and totally organic.

I enjoy The Last Leg for that. Very casual atmosphere, when they did some telepresence episodes (TLL: Lockdown-Under since Adam was at home in Australia) the production values almost went up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like seeing the occasional American guest on The Last Leg because they just look confused

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GreenNight posted:

How the gently caress did Equalizer get renewed for season 2.

It's a crime procedural on CBS. I'm not sure why it wouldn't.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ah so it'll get 10 seasons and 2 spin offs. Ok.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

Ah so it'll get 10 seasons and 2 spin offs. Ok.

The Multiplayer will be disappointing, by the Divider will get 12 seasons

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

It's a crime procedural on CBS. I'm not sure why it wouldn't.

Actor dies.

I'm just proving the point really.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Actor dies.

I'm just proving the point really.

Like that would stop CBS

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Like that would stop CBS

I had to go look, and yeah sure enough that law and order was on NBC

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

I've been hoping to see her in more stuff too. She did star in Content which was a short series about wannabe influencer culture designed to be entirely consumed on a smartphone which is super clever and funny, if not a little one note.

For the sake of anyone else, 1) wow what an un-google-able show but 2) all the eps are linked in the description of this trailer so it's still easy to find and 3) what a perfect little show that takes just an hour and change to watch. (end of series spoiler) And it ends perfectly, Lucy absolutely doesn't deserve Daisy in the slightest

edit: also yeah I def gotta check out Mythic Quest now, she's a great actor

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how the fat game tester in Mythic Quest is Craig Maizin, the guy that created the Chernobyl show. Also Mythic Quest has by far the best Covid episode.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Was there a thread for The Crown's season three or four? One and Two are listed in the thread but that's it. I'm a few episodes into season three now.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

Thanks for this, extremely entertaining little show!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey, the first episode of the Real World Reunion is up on Youtube.

This poo poo was wild to watch at 14, I'm gonna give this a solid chance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1370048658092138499

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention
So I just started watching an old show called "My So Called Life" as I heard it was a fairly accurate time capsule for American life the early 90s. If any of you guys are old enough I have a couple of questions. Can't ask my family as we are a VASTLY different background.

1) Was dyeing your hair really that big of a thing back then?
2) How can there be so much drama over nothing? Not just from the teens but the parents.
3) Is this show really that accurate?

I'm trying to talk myself into continuing but not sure if I should. Is this just a proto Dawson's Creek which was in turn proto CW? Was this the first time an openly lgbtq character was on an American show in a non comedy role? I did like that it was so overly US suburb that I was just about to write it off when they added a couple of things that made me rethink. Feels a bit like Degrassi Murrica style. So what is goon consensus?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's puppets all the way down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Doom2020! posted:

No.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doom2020! posted:

So I just started watching an old show called "My So Called Life" as I heard it was a fairly accurate time capsule for American life the early 90s. If any of you guys are old enough I have a couple of questions. Can't ask my family as we are a VASTLY different background.

2) How can there be so much drama over nothing? Not just from the teens but the parents.
3) Is this show really that accurate?

I'm trying to talk myself into continuing but not sure if I should. Is this just a proto Dawson's Creek which was in turn proto CW? Was this the first time an openly lgbtq character was on an American show in a non comedy role? I did like that it was so overly US suburb that I was just about to write it off when they added a couple of things that made me rethink. Feels a bit like Degrassi Murrica style. So what is goon consensus?

https://i.imgur.com/zeSHMOq.mp4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doom2020! posted:

My So Called Life

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've confirmed that season four of Infinity Train will be the last one. Also it drops April 15th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_eiKWvQxZ8

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 11, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Doom2020! posted:

I'm trying to talk myself into continuing but not sure if I should. Is this just a proto Dawson's Creek which was in turn proto CW? Was this the first time an openly lgbtq character was on an American show in a non comedy role?

No, Northern Exposure had a gay couple and a gay wedding that made a lot of people mad, including liberals because they didn't show the actual kiss after "you may kiss the groom".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Simone Magus posted:

No, Northern Exposure had a gay couple and a gay wedding that made a lot of people mad, including liberals because they didn't show the actual kiss after "you may kiss the groom".

Was that the one with the mounty and the dog?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Was that the one with the mounty and the dog?

That was the copycat, Due South.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Northern Exposure was Doc Hollywood, but Alaska

Due South was where due to a series of events too convoluted to get into right now, a Mountie solved crimes with the Chicago PD.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also, the town in Northern Exposure was founded by two lesbians, there's an episode where they show this, with the whole cast playing different people from the past.

They did that a few times, there's a great episode where Princess Anastasia shows up and Lenin has a cameo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It was for the theater kids.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Many asian kids had brown-ish highlights and they made up over half my school population. Pre-9/11 ruled.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rhyno posted:

It was for the theater kids.

I knew a few punks, and/or delinquents who had dyed their hair, but no, it certainly wasn't common. I wanted to, but my mom wouldn't let me

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In 2000 a girl in the class above me had a blue-dyed pixie cut and I considered her impossibly punk. Otherwise tons of guys had terrible highlights bleached hair but that was it. Rural Iowa was not the hippest place, though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 11, 2021

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think bleachjng hair was way more common at the time.

But I don't think that show was especially accurate to anything except Claire Danes being a good actress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I went to a fairly decently sized (my class was 525 students, 2000ish total) high school about 20 minutes outside of Pittsburgh from 1993-1997 though it was admittedly not very diverse.

I don't know that I've ever seen an "accurate" representation of high school life in any media based on my experience. Maybe I was the one that was abnormal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I Am Not Okay with This was the fist time I feel like I'd actually seen my high school experience reflected accurately on-screen (minus the superpowers). I think it's because the people creating teen shows are now my age, and all high school (and even college) movies/shows lag about 20 years behind reality due to that factor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
My So Called Life was supposed to be a foil to Beverly Hills 90210, but they are both so impossibly 90s TV it's kind of gets lost in the nostalgia.

Freaks and Geeks is still a banger though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i was gonna ask why the ventriloquist from Soap! was being called out in the thread title, but then i remembered that was jay johnson, not johnston.