Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

There are? Maybe out in the wastelands of the countryside I suppose. I live in Stockholm and I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

Reading up on it it would appear to have been a thing for Norwegians back in the day;

I think you are missing something here; there are Norwegians and then there are Norwegians same for the Swedes, Finns and Germans.

The Midwest Scandinavian ethnic groups do a lot of things that the Scandinavians don’t do anymore.

I mean Norwegians do things like eat lutefisk in WI and MI, that’s basically died out in Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

halokiller posted:

I figure it's expensive to maintain and that Americans aren't big into seafood much less live ones.

Uhhhh, have you been to the United States?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

CPL593H posted:

Uhhhh, have you been to the United States?

Lol right catching crabs is the cheapest I’ll ever eat.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
grass on roof is a thing on the Faroe Islands

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Rhode Island

Actually literally Aquidneck Island, in fact

I knew it was one or the other because you know what linguica is. I'm in Southern Mass, I raise a glass of coffee milk to you!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I come from multiple generations of commercial fisherman on both sides of my family and live in one of the busiest seaports in America. lol.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CPL593H posted:

I knew it was one or the other because you know what linguica is. I'm in Southern Mass, I raise a glass of coffee milk to you!

Is linguica extra popular there? Because I think it's generally available, my normal rear end grocery store in Oregon always has it.

I had never heard of it though until a Hawaiian girlfriend introduced me to it. Tasty stuff, very good with some eggs and toast.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tip posted:

Is linguica extra popular there? Because I think it's generally available, my normal rear end grocery store in Oregon always has it.

Yes. It's not well known through out a lot of the country but it's especially popular here because there are a lot of Portuguese immigrants and descendants in the region.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tip posted:

I had never heard of it though until a Hawaiian girlfriend introduced me to it. Tasty stuff, very good with some eggs and toast.

My Hawaiian dad raised me on linguica! :respek:

He sliced it up, sprinkled some brown sugar on it and seared it for breakfast. Man is that good.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

gently caress. There's a solid gold eating out joke here but I can't make it work.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I legitimately love this

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

This reminds me of armadillo racing, you gotta blow on their ears.

:patriot:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Careful they can transmit leprosy. Also if you ever catch one by the tail turn the feet away from your body.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why do so many of these fairs involve harassing or outright abusing animals?

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I think you know. You know.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CPL593H posted:

Same general reasons the US healthcare system is what it is.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

Same general reasons the US healthcare system is what it is.

Lobbyists dump millions of dollars into the pockets of our legislators to make sure nothing that benefits the average person becomes a law?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Rhode Island is a bountiful land.

HOT WIENERS:

quote:

(Article) A hot wiener is lifted off the grill, nestled in a steamed split roll baked by East Providence’s Homestead Baking Company (in business for more than eighty years), slathered with bran mustard, smothered with proprietary meat sauce, sprinkled with onion and dusted with celery salt. Open wide: You can have all this and more for $2.49 each (prices of wieners almost always correspond with gas prices). Add on a coffee milk from Munroe Dairy and cheese fries and you have yourself a well-rounded meal with all four food groups. When it’s really busy, the guy on the grill in the corner lines up ten wieners snug in buns along his arm, from the knuckles to the bend in his elbow.

COFFEE MILK:

quote:

(Article) When it got into the canned coffee business, Field’s great-grandfather, Frank O. Field, named the coffee line Autocrat after a series of essays that appeared in Atlantic Monthly, “The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table,” written by Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. He wanted his coffee to rule the breakfast table with “undisputed influence.”

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Available on Goldbelly for $69 https://americanconeyisland.goldbelly.com/15325-american-coney-island-kits

Zero One fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 12, 2021

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Accretionist posted:

HOT WIENERS:

COFFEE MILK:

Hot wieners don't look too bad tbh

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Bowling alleys and tiki bars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Christ I miss bowling alleys

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I haven't played pool in like a year and a half and I miss it

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Ardemia posted:

RE: seafood boils and americana -

Last boil I went to was in St. Petersburg Florida. It was a wedding rehearsal dinner, and the food was ready to eat right as the sun went down. It ended up being a mini college reunion of sorts and I had a great time catching up with everyone. We had it at a small motor court style hotel from the early 60s that the bride's family owned. After we finished the boil and the pony keg of beer, we splashed around in the pool. The more adventurous types there and those of us that didn't have kids to watch got more beer and some moonshine, and proceeded to stay up until sunrise on the beach. There were bioluminescent bacteria active in the water and you got to see a brilliant bit of blue in the water at night from them. I never saw a gulf side sunrise before in my life, and watching the ocean as the sun came up after seeing the bioluminescent bacteria at night was amazing.

I know in my heart that was the last time I will see most of those people. Life moves on and people fade away with time. That memory of everyone at that 50 year old motel having a crawfish boil and celebrating a friend's wedding to a woman he loved will always be in my mind.

This is a beautiful and sweet story but it kind of reads like the lead-in to a recipe on a house-wifey cooking blog.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
I work in a bowling alley and my other job is firearms related. When do I get my american citizenship mailed to me?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Mrs. Dash posted:

That’s basically a Coney Island dog and yeah they’re pretty good

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mrs. Dash posted:

And for two bucks and change, they're a steal!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

N17R4M posted:

I work in a bowling alley and my other job is firearms related. When do I get my american citizenship mailed to me?

bad news about the ability to mail anything in America

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Accretionist posted:

HOT WIENERS:

Mods please change my name to "Proprietary Meat Sauce" TIA.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Revins posted:

I haven't played pool in like a year and a half and I miss it

pre pandemic iused to go to a combination pool hall, bar, and bowling alley. they also served reallyshitty pizza and the bartender kept giving me his experimental drinks

it was the best. countless fridays and hundreds of dollars gone like.... tears in the rain

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whether for a hot dog or a lobster roll, the New England style flat side bun, grilled, is the very best vessel

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

its all nice on rice posted:

Mods please change my name to "Proprietary Meat Sauce" TIA.

lol I wish name changes were easier, an admin has to do them and it runs the risk of locking you out of your account if you forgot info about it

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

N17R4M posted:

Not so fast. How do you feel about...the metric system?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Whether for a hot dog or a lobster roll, the New England style flat side bun, grilled, is the very best vessel

Hell yes hell loving yes

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lol I wish name changes were easier, an admin has to do them and it runs the risk of locking you out of your account if you forgot info about it

Worth the risk

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Wearing a suit to a tiki bar what bougie tacky bullshit was that?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Outrail posted:

Wearing a suit to a tiki bar what bougie tacky bullshit was that?

At that time everyone wore a suit/dress when going out anywhere. Tiki bar wasn't an exception.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Bloop posted:

i have trouble fitting enough chili in split top buns

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

The Bloop posted:

hawaiian sweet rolls or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tarkus posted:

At that time everyone wore a suit/dress when going out anywhere. Tiki bar wasn't an exception.

Kinda my point, must be dressed up at all times is some dumb bullshit