Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Yeah first time through, I've been holding back because most of my posts would just be "wow that's really cool!" "This part was great" etc

So far the only part I felt was a drag was Skypiea

nah that's cool

it's a breath of fresh air to hear someone else's opinions; plus you're at one of the coolest parts of OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish the app kept my progress between devices. I read on my iPad at home but I'm not taking that to work and I can never remember what chapter I was on last

Edit: apparently 572 was where I finally stopped last night

Edit 2: :stare::tviv:

Len fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 11, 2021

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Some of my favourite posts have been people reading this for the first time and giving continual updates/reactions to things that have happened. If you want to do that I think everyone would enjoy it

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
lovely, low quality raws of 1007 are out, and easily found if anyone desires to get spoiled.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I recommend not doing that.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I am going to speak for the entire thread and say you have every right to post about all the stuff you find cool and good, because One Piece is very cool and very good.

Plus, the additional discussion usually helps point out less-than-obvious story details that people like me miss all the time! :) I'm super grateful to the posters in this thread for helping me appreciate the little things.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Julias posted:

Yeah, it was funny reading the old thread because the previous chapter ends with ace getting fisted, and a bunch of people were in denial that Ace was going to die. Then the title of the next chapter got leaked and people flipped out.

I didn't know we were talking about Tumblr posts here.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also, since I plowed through the entirety of OP last year due to lockdown I've forgotten a few things here and there. Is Carrot considered one of the crew now or still just along for the adventure for the time being?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Carrot's not an official crewmate. Kin'emon's been around longer than her anyway, though I wouldn't be opposed to her joining.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I will look at spectograms of people talking about lovely, low quality raws to satisfy my thirst for OP spoilers

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

carrot is a straw hat

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the cover of all the straw hats in color, including carrot, while the rest of the cover participants were monotone, was carrot's gold coin moment

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

She's not a strawhat

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oddium posted:

the cover of all the straw hats in color, including carrot, while the rest of the cover participants were monotone, was carrot's gold coin moment

You can't be a Straw Hat until you turn down Luffy's offer to join at least once.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

for how little ace and whitebeard feature i sure am disappointed they're gone. they seemed real cool and rad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

She wasn't in the fairly recent full page spread where they were like "It's the Straw Hat Pirates!" so she's definitely not one yet, but even if she's not core group she'll end up as the captain of of the all mink pirate crew that's under the Straw Hat Armada.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Len posted:

for how little ace and whitebeard feature i sure am disappointed they're gone. they seemed real cool and rad

The chapters with Whitebeard actually in them are so good. He was a rad dude imo even though we see very little of him. And the eulogy about his death makes me strangely both proud and sad despite never having met this particular fictional character

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Len posted:

For how little blackbeard shows up its crazy that I think of him as an awesome character and great villain. Hes barely done anything!

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Been reading intermittently every year or so, just blitzed the last 100 chapters. Is it safe to say Oda's finally embraced the power creep?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Naw. There's been enough build up to it and he's kept the super powerful pretty dang consistent throughout the series.

Whitebeard wrecking poo poo at Marineford, Mihawk in their first encounter... not to mention Wano has routinely been referred to as a place of strong folks.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Blackajack posted:

Been reading intermittently every year or so, just blitzed the last 100 chapters. Is it safe to say Oda's finally embraced the power creep?

Nope.

We have a pretty clear cap on how strong you can go, which is Roger/Whitebeard in their peak and slightly below Kaidou/Big Mom/Oden level which Luffy is going to be hitting shortly.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

For how little blackbeard shows up its crazy that I think of him as an awesome character and great villain. Hes barely done anything!

What? He's done a bunch.

Destroyed choppers kingdom
Ate a bunch of pie
Survived travelling halfway up the knock up stream
Captured ace, became warlord
Used warlord status to start a prison riot purely for the sake of recruitment
Killed whitebeard then ate his fruit and then made the government look like poo poo
Captured Bonnie for some reason
Partied on an island for what looks like years
Took the invisible guys fruit and presumably captured or killed the shadow guy

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Blackajack posted:

It feels like everyone can fly around now and destroy islands sometimes. How big was pica

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The World Inferno posted:

Naw. There's been enough build up to it and he's kept the super powerful pretty dang consistent throughout the series.

Whitebeard wrecking poo poo at Marineford, Mihawk in their first encounter... not to mention Wano has routinely been referred to as a place of strong folks.

There's been slight power creep, but considering that this is a 20+ year story it's been amazingly little. This is one of the very few stories where the super powerful people we meet in the beginning slot right into a proper place decades later, and super powers we meet along the way are still relevant. The only instances where there might be some question as to previous depiction vs current state depiction can easily be explained by age or getting lazy.

Garp is still a world wrecker, but like Whitebeard he did become old. Arlong was just an above average mook on a New World pirate crew, and he'd gotten lazy ruling over the East Blue with just base ability. Buggy is exactly the same, same with Mihawk.

Then you've got a couple people like Smoker who have been actively working to get stronger alongside the rest of the younger characters.

Most stories would have early big bads who were super famous tough, then they just disappear and a new level of power is discovered later. New totally never even referenced before super strong bad guys have to appear, and by the end the guy who was totally strong enough to rule the world/whatever area is now an ant and it no longer makes sense that they were ever anything. Meanwhile Luffy is still fighting the exact same powers that be, and the upper ranks of the world are only barely changed.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Terror Sweat posted:

It feels like everyone can fly around now and destroy islands sometimes. How big was pica

Pica was big but that's just his fruit. Anyone who can take out a mountain can take him out and that's well below Whitebeard level stuff.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 12, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meme Emulator posted:

Much like Luffy, Teach just has that charisma that makes you immediately take notice of him no matter what he's doing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the protagonist power creep feels like growth and the rest of the world power creep feels like part of the world that has always been there just unknown to the reader so all in all it feels fine. good storytelling

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Terror Sweat posted:

Big, but basically everyone important after him was bigger, and could probably flatten him without sweating.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm pretty sure that if Dofly and friends had to actually go to war with Kaido as Law originally intended it would be an extremely one sided affair. I guess Dofly could credibly fight a lead performer.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

There's been slight power creep, but considering that this is a 20+ year story it's been amazingly little. This is one of the very few stories where the super powerful people we meet in the beginning slot right into a proper place decades later, and super powers we meet along the way are still relevant. The only instances where there might be some question as to previous depiction vs current state depiction can easily be explained by age or getting lazy.

Garp is still a world wrecker, but like Whitebeard he did become old. Arlong was just an above average mook on a New World pirate crew, and he'd gotten lazy ruling over the East Blue with just base ability. Buggy is exactly the same, same with Mihawk.

Then you've got a couple people like Smoker who have been actively working to get stronger alongside the rest of the younger characters.

Most stories would have early big bads who were super famous tough, then they just disappear and a new level of power is discovered later. New totally never even referenced before super strong bad guys have to appear, and by the end the guy who was totally strong enough to rule the world/whatever area is now an ant and it no longer makes sense that they were ever anything. Meanwhile Luffy is still fighting the exact same powers that be, and the upper ranks of the world are only barely changed.

i think the worst case of this is probably crocodile. given what we know about crocodile, even with luffy getting lucky as hell crocodile should have wiped the floor with luffy with the context we have now.

also mihawk probably should have been introduced as being stronger than we saw.

that said, overall, i think the power creep has been pretty good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

i think the worst case of this is probably crocodile. given what we know about crocodile, even with luffy getting lucky as hell crocodile should have wiped the floor with luffy with the context we have now.

I think Crocodile let himself go after losing to Whitebeard, but got back in shape in Impel Down. So his power levels make sense, as long as you assume that Doflamingo wasn't fighting remotely seriously against him at Marineford.

The only cases of power levels not really making sense are 1) the Lord of the Coast biting off Shanks' arm and 2) Luffy taking hits from Admiral-level opponents at Marineford. And even the latter I can handwave as the result of Ivankov's hormones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think Crocodile is an example, but I don't think Mihawk is. The whole point of Mihawk's first appearance was that he was just loving around because he was bored. He still exerted no effort to wreck everyone, and the whole point of his interaction with Zoro was that Zoro's potential/sword path was just interesting to him.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Terror Sweat posted:

It was a recent important plot element that our protagonist had to get to a great height and needed a lot of assistance to do so!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, Mihawk has always been portrayed as an invincible shitwrecker even when he's using the bare minimum of effort (which is most of the time). It'd be cool to see him go all out, though - we didn't even get that at Marineford, and the entire Wano arc has been a slow hype buildup for him as we're introduced to various principles of absurd superpowered swordsmanship that he's the undisputed master of. Seriously, every time a swordsman in Wano has done something badass, there's been the unspoken footnote of 'and if they can do this, just imagine what Mihawk can do when he puts his mind to it'.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

The only cases of power levels not really making sense are 1) the Lord of the Coast biting off Shanks' arm and 2) Luffy taking hits from Admiral-level opponents at Marineford. And even the latter I can handwave as the result of Ivankov's hormones.

If I recall right, on 2) multiple people in the story note that he shouldn't still be standing after those hits too – and it's just the ~willpower~ of not having his bro die that carried him along. You also have crocodile and other's helping deflect em' too.

I'm still floored how well that battle was outlined to deal with that many heavy hitters being in the same space.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do really like that Oda thought to work in that none of the Warlords ever give anywhere close to 100% for the government, and were almost always just loving around. Which made any appearance on behalf of the government an invalid barometer of their skill.

Kuma being the only exception, which made it all the more interesting that all of his appearances still had him not totally doing as told with the Strawhats.

Maybe Moria was actually going all out at Marineford, but he would be the only one and he was mostly doing it to gank more shadows for his decimated zombie army.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Gyges posted:

I do really like that Oda thought to work in that none of the Warlords ever give anywhere close to 100% for the government, and were almost always just loving around. Which made any appearance on behalf of the government an invalid barometer of their skill.

Kuma being the only exception, which made it all the more interesting that all of his appearances still had him not totally doing as told with the Strawhats.

Maybe Moria was actually going all out at Marineford, but he would be the only one and he was mostly doing it to gank more shadows for his decimated zombie army.

Hancock probably went hard, but only against anyone trying to hurt luffy. I remember just smashing a pacifista's head to bits!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

It was a recent important plot element that our protagonist had to get to a great height and needed a lot of assistance to do so!

Well yeah, because other strong flyers were blocking him, not because the slope he was on had oil on it

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

anime was right posted:

My view on Crocodile was that, although he was probably out of shape, it's more about Luffy being monstrously strong than him being weak. Luffy didn't really face any significant opposition on non-gimmicky terms until he met Rob Lucci.

Enel obviously had a "useless" fruit, but even so he was extremely strong in at least one form of haki and apparently would have had a half billion bounty if he were active on the seas. He really doesn't put up a tremendous physical fight with his fruit nullified - Luffy just kicks his rear end. Again, he was probably out of practice, but the guy was supposedly Warlord level.

Luffy has been like, around the 200-300m bounty power level or whatever you want to call it since pretty much the moment he initially set out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chapter 1007