Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

FlocksOfMice posted:

is the deaf tag there just in case new readers come in and get confused

It's there because Mookie wishes deaf people would be forced to identify themselves so he wouldn't have been embarrassed trying to converse with a deaf kid back in highschool or something like that thinks it would be polite of them to self-identify so others could show them the proper sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The weirdest part to me is how Snout suddenly decided to make his patch one day even though he was a hermit who only ever interacted with the librarian, who knew him well already.

Did he have a life before being a hermit? Who were his parents? Who taught him how to read? Why did he not know about the massive mongrel settlement within a few days' walk? None of these are addressed, or even hinted at him existing in any way before the comic started.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Snout emerged fully formed from the head of Mookie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mors Rattus posted:

Snout emerged fully formed from the head of Mookie.

Anti-thena

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FlocksOfMice posted:

is the deaf tag there just in case new readers come in and get confused

It's so Mookie remembers not to put in any dialogue. It hasn't worked yet.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oriongates posted:

That's not even the weird part.

The weird part is, who on earth has an instructional sign posted in their dining room? I'm assuming that this is a 'wash your hands' sign or something, despite them just coming from a fresh bath. So...why on earth would you have something like that in your home?

In effect, we've somehow transitioned to a restaurant.

Apparently so!

By the way, this chapter is called "the language barrier", so I have to assume this is what it's referring to. Except it's NOT a language barrier, because everyone he's met so far is able to communicate with him perfectly. Him wandering into the dining room has nothing to do with language - he didn't even see the sign until it was pointed out to him, whether or not he knew how to read it!

Also, did you know this vegetarian food is the best he's ever tasted? Well, it's the best food he's ever tasted. The vegetarian food. It's so, so good. I don't think Mookie mentioned how good the vegetarian food is. I hope he keeps telling us how good the vegetarian food is so we don't forget! It's the best Snout has ever had! The vegetarian food, that is.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Thinking back to that post of Mookie complaining about his bad Twitter engagement and I gotta wonder what he thinks people are supposed to say about this. “Snout has a misunderstanding and it doesn’t matter” stretched out to an entire week. The uWu well is drying up, man. People aren’t gonna be amused by Snout’s baby antics forever.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So he took out his journal, wrote down his dejectedness at not being allowed to eat from the buffet, and sat at the table.

Then he stuffed his face, took out his journal at the table again, wrote things down, and continued eating?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

why does arudak have a restaurant inside his house

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

maltesh posted:

So he took out his journal, wrote down his dejectedness at not being allowed to eat from the buffet, and sat at the table.

Then he stuffed his face, took out his journal at the table again, wrote things down, and continued eating?

no dialogue

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

By the way I think the comic has spent more time banging on about how good this food is than explaining the plot.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

By the way I think the comic has spent more time banging on about how good this food is than explaining the plot.

It's explained exactly as much as Mookie has thought out, the rest is him indulging in his vegan/veggie food stuff.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Kavak posted:

It's explained exactly as much as Mookie has thought out, the rest is him indulging in his vegan/veggie food stuff.

But it's not even specific dishes! Listen, I am trying actively to cut down my meat consumption. Maybe Mookie could suggest recipes he likes, or draw inspiring food. Instead, they're shapeless blobs and what looks like seaweed. And all he can say is "GOOOOD". No spices, no descriptions, nothing. The closest he ever got was just "soak everything in mavpel syrup". Mookie is lazy even in his pet obsessions.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I like that the chef-waitress is also an ink witch, but one of Arudak's sect, because she lives and works with him and not with the ink witch's ink witch sect, which means that there are sizable populations of ink magicians all over the loving place to the point where even becoming an ink witch means you have enough time to learn how to become a chef as well so individual ink wizard groups have so many ink wizards some of them just do other skills primarily instead, so it probably takes like,

maybe a few years of casual hobby practice to be able to become an ink witch, tops

there's so many loving ink wizards this girl can only make her living as a waitress being an ink wizard is exactly that mundane

I know in my mansion we put all the food out on a table, but also have a sign over it that says "PLEASE WAIT TO BE SERVED" and we get upset if any of our guests take the food early, you have to sit and be served by our waitress who is a wizard and also I'm a wizard, but because of Dominic Deegan we're not the REAL kinds of wizards because magic is esoteric and hidden and no one can run around throwing fireballs everywhere,

except for the large populations of wizards who can blow poo poo up with their magic it's just inkballs instead

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Or maybe she's a PAPER WARLOCK, like the orc! The difference between the two's powers being _____________

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can't see the DEAF tag on him in that third panel as anything other than a parallel to a DUNCE cap.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
This page would have been the better dialogue-less comic if not for....uggghhh :cripes: :bang:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I am just absolutely amazed that Mookie gave thought to whether the “I will never be happy again” ::something happens:: “I AM THE HAPPIEST PERSON EVER” joke would at all make sense without dialogue and decided that making diary entries act as exact captures of in-the-moment thought bubbles would be a fine fix to it

It is just so absolutely done without anything other than the most surface-level thinking. gently caress, he could even just have written the diary entries as past tense! “I was so embarrassed that I thought I would never be happy again BUT THEN I ATE THE FOOD AND IT WAS SO GOOD” but he can’t even think that through. He’s so used to writing wordy exposition and now, having switched over to the diary format as an excuse for continuing his wordy exposition, he can’t even take a step back to think about how an actual diary entry would look.

loving hell, this is just so obviously shat out. I’ve probably spent more time editing this post to clarify it than Mookie spent on putting this entire making GBS threads thing together.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I love how snout goes back and forth from being a puppy idiot man child to an adult who fucks with no in between

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"This is going to bother me for a while" what the gently caress kind of psychotically depressed softboy woobie fuckwit even is this character? His reaction to accidentally sitting down in a place where he's a guest is commensurate with his sense of grief at losing his house and then 2 panels later he's stuffing his face in a way 10 times as socially unacceptable as 'accidentally doesn't realise he should wait to be seated'.

It's like Mookie leaned about how people interact from the cringiest of animes only.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

We don't even have any indication Arudurak or whatever he's called gives one solitary poo poo. Hell, the only other character we've seen is one half of the ink witch's face. As far as we know he just annoyed a very cranky chef, but no one else cares. Yet with no other context Snout is acting like he committed a cultural sin.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

We don't even have any indication Arudurak or whatever he's called gives one solitary poo poo. Hell, the only other character we've seen is one half of the ink witch's face. As far as we know he just annoyed a very cranky chef, but no one else cares. Yet with no other context Snout is acting like he committed a cultural sin.

Well, Arudak did have that sign up. In his house. Which this restaurant is in.

Why does Arudak have a restaurant in his house?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mors Rattus posted:

why does arudak have a restaurant inside his house

Wizard guys are the only ones with enough invisible chairs.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Breetai posted:

"This is going to bother me for a while" what the gently caress kind of psychotically depressed softboy woobie fuckwit even is this character? His reaction to accidentally sitting down in a place where he's a guest is commensurate with his sense of grief at losing his house and then 2 panels later he's stuffing his face in a way 10 times as socially unacceptable as 'accidentally doesn't realise he should wait to be seated'.

It's like Mookie leaned about how people interact from the cringiest of animes only.

For some reason, Snout's sad face in the middle panel is skeeving me out more than the weird sexual stuff did. It just has some kind of weird wrongness to it I can't explain.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

super sweet best pal posted:

For some reason, Snout's sad face in the middle panel is skeeving me out more than the weird sexual stuff did. It just has some kind of weird wrongness to it I can't explain.

It's that he looks like a kicked puppy - like he's being drawn as a child feeling bad who deserves your love.

Just absolutely maximum Soft Boy, and that's really uncomfortable with an adult character who is also Snout.

Also, the diary joke has him writing in larger font, as well, so he literally writes exactly like someone would speak in a comic. I hate this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gently caress is the point of all this

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And you'd think, given Arudak's relationship with Snout that he wouldn't be thrilled for one of his servants (?) to treat a guest like that.

Oh, and while I'm not an expert on deaf etiquette. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that your average deaf person isn't particularly thrilled about the use of physical manhandling to get a deaf person's attention.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Maybe Snout only thinks Arudak owns the whole tower, and in reality he owns just that room and took them to the public cafeteria/in-house restaurant for lunch like hotels sometimes have. I can't think of any other reason for a home to have a sign saying to wait to be served (or someone who has be on guard to point that out/translate on the fly), unless that's the Deeganverse equivalent of 'Live, Laugh, Love' or something.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

By the way, this chapter is called "the language barrier", so I have to assume this is what it's referring to. Except it's NOT a language barrier, because everyone he's met so far is able to communicate with him perfectly. Him wandering into the dining room has nothing to do with language - he didn't even see the sign until it was pointed out to him, whether or not he knew how to read it!

There were those signs in the middle of nowhere that he couldn't read. Fortunately, he was in the wrong place anyway, so whatever they said didn't actually matter.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The gently caress is the point of all this

Oh, like you've never charged a buffet only to be pulled back by a goblin chef. Mookie's writing from common experiences here

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hairy feet, that's a hobbit.

Or whatever they're called in

... what's the name of the planet this is taking place on?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zereth posted:

But with some kind of tusk-like teeth, which with that height must mean that they are also a goblin.

A goblet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Look they don't have orthodontists in Maltak, and the non-danger easy magic plastic surgery alterists are creepy.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Zereth posted:

Or whatever they're called in

... what's the name of the planet this is taking place on?

Midvel-Earth.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there's such a weird offness to that comic, like terraciano heard of all these jokes about someone committing a minor faux pas and feeling inordinately embarrassed while no one else actually cares, except all of his characters are so self-indulgent that neither do they care? at least not enough to immediately forget about it for a punchline

also if snout's such a natural-born hair stylist you'd think he'd at least brush his own

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
There's so much I don't understand.

So... Orcs have a cultural taboo that requires like, the head of the household to eat first, or for mealtimes to be communal, or something of the sort? Also, no one is allowed in the dining room before some appointed time. It's important enough to Arduak that not only does he have a sign in his house, but a butler who will literally manhandle (arguably assault) his guests if they trespass.

...then he just... doesn't explain this or educate Snout? At all? Is it a joke that him and the Ink Witch are playing on a deaf dude?

It seems really dickish to let it play out.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

GreenMetalSun posted:

There's so much I don't understand.

So... Orcs have a cultural taboo that requires like, the head of the household to eat first, or for mealtimes to be communal, or something of the sort? Also, no one is allowed in the dining room before some appointed time. It's important enough to Arduak that not only does he have a sign in his house, but a butler who will literally manhandle (arguably assault) his guests if they trespass.

...then he just... doesn't explain this or educate Snout? At all? Is it a joke that him and the Ink Witch are playing on a deaf dude?

It seems really dickish to let it play out.

But if it's such a cultural taboo, why do they have signs about it? No one puts their cultural mores on signs all around the room. Has any culture ever done that? It's in Orc language, so you'd expect anyone who can read this highly cultural language would... understand the basic eating etiquette of that culture.

Like, he says it's Arudak's house. Having a "Please wait to be served" sign in your personal dining room is like... the equivalent of a "In this house, we LIVE LAUGH LOVE and say PLEASE and THANK YOU and thank Chef Jesus for the pie before we eat with PINKIES OUT ONLY" sign

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Because this chapter is called "The Language Barrier"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Zereth posted:

Look they don't have orthodontists in Maltak, and the non-danger easy magic plastic surgery alterists are creepy.

Another ridiculous thing about this comic is they literally do have orthodontists. Dominic got dental implants done to replace his missing teeth specifically because of his irrational prejudice against alterists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The Legacy of Dominic Deegan was to repeal magical healthcare.