Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

p much this, yeah

thanks for this because i can't be assed to seriouspost anymore

the scene where you deliver the bad news to the wife of the man who fell through the boardwalk just loving BODYSLAMMED me and i think is a great example of what you're talking about. as soon as i walked in and saw who was sitting on the bed i was immediately thinking, 'oh my god no no no NO why did it have to be her why did i gently caress with her like that oh my god i'm so sorry why did i do that ahhhh'

it really added that extra twist of the knife to what was already an already emotional scene. something that only the medium of video games could accomplish because it was YOU who was acting like a dick earlier in the game, entirely of your own volition

strong agree. this scene is burned into my memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

chess is for rich people

wät

e: It's always great when people have opinions on something they literally literally have no knowledge of. What's next? "football is for rich people"?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 11, 2021

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I read a whole lot and I think it’s real interesting everyone talks about that part of the ending but no one talks about when you go to sleep in the bunker before the very end and find out your ex, and talk to, the living saint, Dolores Dei, in a dream. The writing is intentionally ambiguous to whether or not it’s literal isn’t important, but saying goodbye and making peace, or totally loving it up, kissing her, and being unmet while she leaves is some real killing-you-inside part. When you dig around in your evidence clipboard and find that note from “her” it ends the game and causes a heart attack. That you get to make peace with that, and for it to be in such proximity to the cryptid, I think is the more real embracing of one’s complex emotionality “how hard it must be to feel” thing, and then to be as far from something so rare in nature as from a literal saint that must leave you, as well, should speak volumes

That part got me the most

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Unless posted:

I read a whole lot and I think it’s real interesting everyone talks about that part of the ending but no one talks about when you go to sleep in the bunker before the very end and find out your ex, and talk to, the living saint, Dolores Dei, in a dream. The writing is intentionally ambiguous to whether or not it’s literal isn’t important, but saying goodbye and making peace, or totally loving it up, kissing her, and being unmet while she leaves is some real killing-you-inside part. When you dig around in your evidence clipboard and find that note from “her” it ends the game and causes a heart attack. That you get to make peace with that, and for it to be in such proximity to the cryptid, I think is the more real embracing of one’s complex emotionality “how hard it must be to feel” thing, and then to be as far from something so rare in nature as from a literal saint that must leave you, as well, should speak volumes

That part got me the most

Yeah I loved that scene so much. You finally achieve some level of closure over your past after such a long time of being completely unable to leave it behind

I liked the cryptid thing on balance. The resolution of the main plotline is bleak, a pointless aftershock of some terrible events. But where you might not be looking for it something wonderful and unexpected appears!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

wät

e: It's always great when people have opinions on something they literally literally have no knowledge of. What's next? "football is for rich people"?

yea i used to play chess all the time with the other minimum wage monkeys i worked with at the quick lube when we had a break. you can get a board for like $15

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

rogue legacy 2 is a huge chore compared to the first one

rogue legacy 2 is good now

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is loop hero good

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ouds are cool and good and i won’t let anyone tell me otherwise

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

is loop hero good
i'm enjoying it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
more like poop hero imho

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
turn your monitor on

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

FMguru posted:

more like poop hero imho

https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/1370126435642269697

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

I have been playing war thunder for a while now and I start to like this video game metaphor of eating glass

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

god the writing in this game is GOOD i cant wait to replay it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEs-0cg1q6M

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjVdqWp2rfM

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i started playing valheim with some pals, it's fun

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it's real good, yeah

can't wait for them to release the full game

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
managed to order a 3060 from best buy today. if it ever actually shows up i will be building my first computer in about 15 years. what open world rpg games should i play if i havent played a video game besides fallout 3 and skyrim in a long time. i want to play rdr2. is cyberpunk 2077 any good yet? seems like no.

also chess is fun.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Ansible Adams posted:

managed to order a 3060 from best buy today. if it ever actually shows up i will be building my first computer in about 15 years. what open world rpg games should i play if i havent played a video game besides fallout 3 and skyrim in a long time. i want to play rdr2. is cyberpunk 2077 any good yet? seems like no.

also chess is fun.

i haven't played it personally but i think people who like open world rpgs like the witcher 3

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ansible Adams posted:

also chess is fun.

You should farm some NFTs OP.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

just off the top of my head i remember enjoying divinity II. it's an older game that doesn't need that kind of hardware but i remember it being fun

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You should farm some NFTs OP.

looking at ebay i might just flip the card and stick with the ole macbook pro lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is metro exodus..

what kind of game is it?

fallout? less rpg?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

is metro exodus..

what kind of game is it?

fallout? less rpg?

i dont know exactly how i'd describe exodus. you can upgrade and mod your guns to be a lot better, but youre just a guy trying to survive with your mates. there's no leveling, no perks, and enemies can pretty consistently smash you into pulp if youre not careful. just a guy on a train.

there are a few rpg bits where you can make decisions that affect the ending in a big way, but it's pretty much just post-apocalyptic russia storytime.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's structured kind of like a far cry game, except slower paced and even less RPGish. basically a """realistic""" (ie slower paced) open world fps that pushes you towards stealth.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
blasphemous is good and edgy af

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Truman Peyote posted:

it's structured kind of like a far cry game, except slower paced and even less RPGish. basically a """realistic""" (ie slower paced) open world fps that pushes you towards stealth.
yeah. the only thing i'd add is it has medium-ish hub-like levels rather than one open world map

you don't level up but your gear gets more options and variety as you go, and you have to find most of it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i know you guys were bagging on outer worlds but it seems pretty standard mass effect clone so far

i lolgrimaced at this joke

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mediaphage posted:

i know you guys were bagging on outer worlds but it seems pretty standard mass effect clone so far

i lolgrimaced at this joke

i thought it was fine until i just sort of slid off it and never picked it up again

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Roosevelt posted:

just off the top of my head i remember enjoying divinity II. it's an older game that doesn't need that kind of hardware but i remember it being fun

Yeah divinity 2 is a great game, I bought it a couple of weeks ago and it's been a blast.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

i thought it was fine until i just sort of slid off it and never picked it up again

its not bad per se, but the thing i like, the magic of wandering into situations, isn't there because of the way the worlds are split into separate maps. that leads to so weird difficulty spikes, to, since theres no gradient of challenge. each planet jumps right there

felt boxed in and the odd situation and little side quest games with one big map, like fonv, do are sparse and shorter than id like. it felt empty at times, like if there was more budget it'd be filled in

mediaphage i think that's probably the better way to approach the game. not new vegas just miniature mass effect with more hodgepodge cities

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Ansible Adams posted:

also chess is fun.

rpgs: rdr2, witcher 3,.
elite dangerous if you want to fly spaceships
death stranding is a good open world game that's mainly concerned on walking
metal gear solid V (although it's missing the final chapter it's still fun)

few of my favorite open world games from top of my head

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

outer worlds was okay and i think a lot of the disappointment comes from people expecting another new vegas or kotor2

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also people who think it was too short, which for most of us lazy old people is actually a pretty clear-cut advantage.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i really, really, really disliked the quippy-ness of it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i couldn't get over the dog poo poo writing. the combat felt slightly better than other games in the fallout 3 lineage, upgrading it to "passable", but god drat, every single character is just a completely flat stereotype. how am I supposed to get interested in a world that is populated entirely by chat bots from 2006

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

i couldn't get over the dog poo poo writing. the combat felt slightly better than other games in the fallout 3 lineage, upgrading it to "passable", but god drat, every single character is just a completely flat stereotype. how am I supposed to get interested in a world that is populated entirely by chat bots from 2006

so you’re saying it was a realistic representation of talking to the average internet user

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I didn’t mind it, I’d rather a 30 hour skyrim so that the mechanics don’t get tired after 150 hours of the same poo poo. trying to make an action/comedy game is just such a bad idea though, it’s never funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RustyKnight posted:

rpgs: rdr2, witcher 3,.
elite dangerous if you want to fly spaceships
death stranding is a good open world game that's mainly concerned on walking
metal gear solid V (although it's missing the final chapter it's still fun)

few of my favorite open world games from top of my head

grand theft auto 5