Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Like how do I get my friends up to speed quickly so they can help me or escape without being forced to seduce Andie MacDowell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shrecknet posted:

Like how do I get my friends up to speed quickly so they can help me or escape without being forced to seduce Andie MacDowell?

"Im in a time loop!
What are you talking about?
Huh?
Stop saying the same things as me at the same time!
Well prove it!
Ask me something you literally never told anyone.
On a rainy night in September you murdered and burried a vagrant under the big oak tree, just to feel his life sweep trough your hands."

Modify slightly to adapt to the actual answers.
Of course, the first loop will take a bit more effort, since you actually need to get the compromat in the first place.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 1, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Why would you want to escape?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's March 2 here so I assume the loop broke. How'd it go?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Groundhog Day is basically just A Christmas Carol, but without ghosts, so just discover the true meaning of Christmas and you should be good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Put your little hand in mine...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I need some clarification . Is it possible to die of old age in this situation?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

mobby_6kl posted:

I need some clarification . Is it possible to die of old age in this situation?

Yes, but you'd have to get into a spaceship that can travel at 99% speed of light right after groundhog daying yourself. Or just groundhog day yourself at old age on your death bed, whichever is more practical.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Take online classes to learn a phd in groundhog day sciences.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

One of the dropped beats in the original Groundhog Day script (when it was more horror) had Phil reading a single page from a single book in the hotel library each day to track how long he'd been trapped.

Could I use this to my advantage somehow?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Shrecknet posted:

Andie MacDowell now or Andie MacDowell then? This is important.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

my biggest fear is that i'll get stuck in a time loop and eventually get jaded and start doing hosed up stuff because it doesnt matter like going on a killing spree and then it stops looping so i get stuck with it, has anyone done a movie about that

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Never heard of Groundhog Day but it sounds like a ripoff of Happy DeathDay so you gotta figure out who the murderer is.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I'd just catch up on all the books/films/tv/games I've wanted to check out, then I'd start thinking about solving it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Karloff posted:

I'd just catch up on all the books/films/tv/games I've wanted to check out, then I'd start thinking about solving it.
How are you gonna play games if you can't save overnight? I guess you'd get really in to speedrunning.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That does beg the question - could you become an expert in quantum physics in a time loop if you have no way to take notes? Taking years to memorize everything could theoretically work but nobody’s really done it before, I’m sure even Einstein had to check his notes from time to time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

That does beg the question - could you become an expert in quantum physics in a time loop if you have no way to take notes? Taking years to memorize everything could theoretically work but nobody’s really done it before, I’m sure even Einstein had to check his notes from time to time.

In the movie she had an internet connection and, depending on how you learn the act of taking notes can be more productive than the notes themselves, so given robust enough academic resources alongside the professor himself she probably could've hacked it in a less-than-maddening timeframe.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Signs you’re about to be groundedhog:
- one of the first things you hear when you wake up is an idiosyncratic phrase spoken by your partner or housemate or a radio dj
- especially if they mention what day of the week it is, or that some once-a-year event takes place today
- a sports game plays on a nearby radio with some unlikely/unpredicted outcome that takes the people in earshot by surprise
- you have reached a point in your life where you have a real emotional or character deficiency and it just happens to be a big event day, like something to do with your career or a wedding
- you meet-cute someone but accidentally make a bad impression and wish you knew enough about their likes and dislikes to have better connected with them at that first meeting
- a man laughs at you while you do something comical like step in a puddle or bang your head on a rafter
- a person dies in your presence in some way that seems like it could have been preventable

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Space Dandy episode comes to mind where they get in a Groundhog Day loop and don't even notice til the narrator yells at them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I want an r-rated exploitation/grindhouse remake of Groundhog Day called Grindhog Day

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Grindhog Nights

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cuntman.net posted:

my biggest fear is that i'll get stuck in a time loop and eventually get jaded and start doing hosed up stuff because it doesnt matter like going on a killing spree and then it stops looping so i get stuck with it, has anyone done a movie about that

Kinda reminds me of that Rick and Morty episode.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shrecknet posted:

How are you gonna play games if you can't save overnight? I guess you'd get really in to speedrunning.

If you keep your memories between loops then you can memorize your save file and type it out in the morning

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idea for an existential horror movie: Groundhog Day but each time you wake up it’s a new day in sequence so you can’t undo any of the mistakes you made yesterday, the opportunities you missed, the friends and loved ones you inadvertently hurt

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pirate Jet posted:

In HDD2 she does it by discussing the issue with actual science students, then memorising the proofs as best she can and taking that back to the students first thing and trying to progress from there.

So she doesn't need to remember everything herself, she just needs to remember enough for someone experienced in the field to get up to speed.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hedrigall posted:

Idea for an existential horror movie: Groundhog Day but each time you wake up it’s a new day in sequence so you can’t undo any of the mistakes you made yesterday, the opportunities you missed, the friends and loved ones you inadvertently hurt

Groundhog Day, except you're not in a time loop, you just have no agency or the remotest capacity to change anything in your experience because the powers that be have crushed all but those at the top into a de facto form of late-capitalist determinism.

As Bill Murray awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Shrecknet posted:

One of the dropped beats in the original Groundhog Day script (when it was more horror) had Phil reading a single page from a single book in the hotel library each day to track how long he'd been trapped.

Could I use this to my advantage somehow?

Oh, that's clever

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I would probably be paranoid that this is also some elaborate mystical prank, and the minute I do something outrageous or illegal the loop will end and I'll be forced to deal with the consequences.

This paranoid thought would never leave my brain, so I would play it safe and boring for eternity, probably.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spend a few years catching up on sleep and/or TV

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Libra posted:

I would probably be paranoid that this is also some elaborate mystical prank, and the minute I do something outrageous or illegal the loop will end and I'll be forced to deal with the consequences.

This paranoid thought would never leave my brain, so I would play it safe and boring for eternity, probably.

Yeah like imagine if you decide to rob a bank for the hell of it and that’s the day it finally comes to an end. Just not worth it.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

BiggestBatman posted:

The episode of childrens hospital where owen gets caught in a time loop and learns how to play the trumpet is the best this concept has ever been filmed

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
i've got a suggestion for detection: commit lots of crimes and if you die or wake up in jail you aren't in a time loop

seems workable to me

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah like imagine if you decide to rob a bank for the hell of it and that’s the day it finally comes to an end. Just not worth it.

Has anyone tried this in court as a defence for a crime?

"I was in a time loop for 35 years!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

- it just happens to be a big event day, like something to do with your career or a wedding
- you meet-cute someone but accidentally make a bad impression and wish you knew enough about their likes and dislikes to have better connected with them at that first meeting
- a man laughs at you while you do something comical like step in a puddle or bang your head on a rafter
- a person dies in your presence in some way that seems like it could have been preventable
My god. The stormtrooper from ANH who bonked his head was in a groundhog loop!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Tunicate posted:

My god. The stormtrooper from ANH who bonked his head was in a groundhog loop!

He never figured out how to get off the Death Star before it exploded :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Libra posted:

There's a reason Bill Murray didn't try killing himself until he was so depressed he actually wanted to die. By the time he started doing crazy stuff, he was already long past the point of giving a poo poo.