Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just fought the shield Knight but I didn't spec my party for him because I didn't want all the jp to go to waste.

That was tough! This one monster he had on his side was annoying as gently caress and immune to basically everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just fought the shield Knight but I didn't spec my party for him because I didn't want all the jp to go to waste.

That was tough! This one monster he had on his side was annoying as gently caress and immune to basically everything.

One tip for crap like that is that if monsters are specifically resistant to weapons (rather than physical attacks in general), try unequipping them and just punching the bastards. Fists have no element or weapon type to resist, and are surprisingly effective against certain irritating enemies.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

That's a good tip. In general switching weapons during combat is completely free and it can make a big difference. Particularly later in the game when you have a variety of weapons with useful bonuses like the elemental staves, weapons that are good against enemy types and shields that resist elements.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I made Adelle a mastered Beastmaster with sub Berserker and bare-knuckle brawler and she punches every enemy to death on her first turn :yeshaha:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ojetor posted:

That's a good tip. In general switching weapons during combat is completely free and it can make a big difference. Particularly later in the game when you have a variety of weapons with useful bonuses like the elemental staves, weapons that are good against enemy types and shields that resist elements.

Also the freelancer ability 'body slam' deals untyped damage like fists do, so if you don't have a lot of monk jobbers around and/or you can't give up the defense of a shield or need the +magic you can burn BP to slam dudes for 1500-2000, even for classes that don't have much physical attack like White Mage.

Pay attention to your beastmaster during Chapter 2, especially in the wizard tower. The wind elementals there can hit the wind weakness before redmage and I think one of the flower type mobs in the region somewhere gets you access to Banish.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the end game xp grind strategy? I'm at 61 but finally hit a brick wall with (ch6 spoilers) the berserker challenge portal one-shotting my party and I can't do enough damage to him first turn. Even rare monsters are only giving about 5k xp. I can do the other ones, but they give maybe 7k exp and take 3 times as long (though I think I'm set on giant jp orbs).

Also what's a good sub class for vanguard? I had it as my swordmaster sub to get it's specialties but I just got the point where the vanguard on it's own does more damage and has higher weight.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

PageMaster posted:

What's the end game xp grind strategy? I'm at 61 but finally hit a brick wall with (ch6 spoilers) the berserker challenge portal one-shotting my party and I can't do enough damage to him first turn. Even rare monsters are only giving about 5k xp. I can do the other ones, but they give maybe 7k exp and take 3 times as long (though I think I'm set on giant jp orbs).

Also what's a good sub class for vanguard? I had it as my swordmaster sub to get it's specialties but I just got the point where the vanguard on it's own does more damage and has higher weight.

I just ground in the final dungeon until about 65 when I did Braverbearer. The level 8 skill automatically kills anything 20 levels under you so I went to Rimedhal and popped People Pleasers while running all over the first floor. There is enough humanoids to group for easy farming and the shop in town sells them to keep you fueled. I went from 65-80 in 2-3 hours during meetings today.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish the travelogue had some sort of frame of reference before clicking on it because it takes several seconds to load and more to back out of it

Which one is first? which is last? did I miss one? who knows!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Salve-Maker boss was a stupid rear end in a top hat but I somehow managed to limp my way through. Really taking the absurdity of counters up to 11.

Does that boss’s big annoying counter attack count as physical? If so, I guess I’m gonna level up all my characters in Archer...

I got extremely lucky with that fight and finished with one character at like 300 health. This was largely because I fought him without setting my jobs appropriately, though, so I went in with a really dumb build intended for killing trash (for example Elvis having Pictomancer/Berserker, lol).

One skill that I've found is often useful is the Berserker's "ignore all status effects that cause you to lose character control" one.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Honestly, I just farmed the other portals. I was looking for ~4 of each of most of the weapons anyway. There are growth eggs available from a side quest in the dragon cave, and a second set of growth eggs later on in the final village.

As far as dealing with the turn 1, swordmasters with ninefold flurry can make mincemeat of most bosses. Toss on dual wield, the beastmaster passives, and whatever else you want, and they'll tear anything apart. I'd honestly suggest getting a beastmaster spear so that you can ensure the swordmasters go first and have all the passives to make brave x4 + ninefold flurry hit like a train.

If you're really struggling, Hellblade and Red Mage combine in a hilarious way with one of the final Hellblade moves and Red Mage passives...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man there are so many jobs in this game I already completely forgot beastmaster was a thing and I was so excited to use them

Also, I got my thief to level 9, and Godspeed Strike feels like someone left it in by mistake. Why does this do like 5x more damage than everything else I have then it does it again. I like figuring out game winning combos in these games but this just feels like a win button

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Godspeed Strike is absolutely bonkers

It feels like something that should be locked until late game when you can raise the level cap on jobs because of how easy it is to master jobs early in BD2, and yet, nope, you can pretty easily grab it in chapter 1.

If you're wondering, will Godspeed Strike ever drop off and stop being amazing? The answer is no. On a high-speed character that poo poo will be an absolute nuke right through to the end of the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It actually gets better late game because of the increased availability of higher speed, attack and the option to make it hit all enemies for undivided full damage.
With the right set up, the second delayed hit can hit harder than the initial attack and isn't affected by weapon type resistance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Salve-Maker boss was a stupid rear end in a top hat but I somehow managed to limp my way through. Really taking the absurdity of counters up to 11.

Does that boss’s big annoying counter attack count as physical? If so, I guess I’m gonna level up all my characters in Archer...

The undead horse enemies in his area deal 8-9k damage to him when using off the chain. I had 4 or 5 of them which made the fight doable (but still pretty rough). Without a bunch of captures from the area I would've struggled for sure.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man there are so many jobs in this game I already completely forgot beastmaster was a thing and I was so excited to use them

Also, I got my thief to level 9, and Godspeed Strike feels like someone left it in by mistake. Why does this do like 5x more damage than everything else I have then it does it again. I like figuring out game winning combos in these games but this just feels like a win button

Godspeed strike was also stupidly powerful in Octopath Traveler. It feels so much more over the top in BD2 though. Back in ch1 I used it to kill a 52k(?) hp rare enemy and the only reason I didn't one-round them on the first try was because I couldn't cast it 4x on everyone without running out of MP and it missed about 1/3 of the time, presumably because the rare I was fighting was understandably far above my level. I haven't tried it on Seth or Adelle with dragoon mastered and dual wielding spears in addition to dragoon's high speed yet but given the atk/spd that setup has I can guess how things go.

And you can farm speed buns as soon as you get thief and gambler unlocks around the same time so you can get rare talent which is broken as hell on 4 people, if you feel the need to break the skill even further. I've actively avoided godspeed strike in regular gameplay because using a speed team with it would likely trivialize most/all bosses so it stays in my back pocket as a final "gently caress all this nonsense" nuclear option.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It feels like GS is meant to be limited by MP, but then Thief also has Steal Spirit which for some reason recovers 3x the mana stolen. Just use Steal Spirit like twice and you're back at full MP for more Godspeed Strikes. No need to even setup an MP battery or anything. No brakes on the Godspeed train.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm just slowing going through Ch. 1 - would it be legitimate to use the JP Orbs from boating to boost my Freelancer to get the JP Up skills or are the Orbs too valuable for other Jobs?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The amount of JP you get from the orbs is affected by the JP Up skills so it might make more sense to use the orbs after you have the skills.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just spend the orbs if you want to skip/shorten the Freelancer grind, they will pay for themselves ten times over the course of the game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

I'm just slowing going through Ch. 1 - would it be legitimate to use the JP Orbs from boating to boost my Freelancer to get the JP Up skills or are the Orbs too valuable for other Jobs?

You get so many orbs over the course of the game so there's no reason not to orb up immediately.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ojetor posted:

It feels like GS is meant to be limited by MP, but then Thief also has Steal Spirit which for some reason recovers 3x the mana stolen. Just use Steal Spirit like twice and you're back at full MP for more Godspeed Strikes. No need to even setup an MP battery or anything. No brakes on the Godspeed train.

Also Ethers cost next to nothing.

Getting both JP up skills is the best use for JP orbs for sure.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You may want to use them to level Gambler too since they have a chance of nullifying JP gains.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

That's probably the best bet unless there's a specific ability in a class you really want to get to right now. The freelancer's JP up's are useful throughout the entire game, but you'll have ways of grinding for party JP much quicker so I wouldn't worry about wasting them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

You may want to use them to level Gambler too since they have a chance of nullifying JP gains.

This is what I ended up doing because gently caress All Or Nothing, like I can’t get too excited about getting 15x JP once when I got none 15 times...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does Gambler's JP gain nullification and/or random multiplication apply to everyone, or just the Gambler?

I'm wondering if you can do 10-battle chains outside the prologue town with a full team of Gamblers and just eventually luck into maxing out Gambler for everyone all at once

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

Does Gambler's JP gain nullification and/or random multiplication apply to everyone, or just the Gambler?

I'm wondering if you can do 10-battle chains outside the prologue town with a full team of Gamblers and just eventually luck into maxing out Gambler for everyone all at once

Just for them, unless it causes you to get 0 Pg in which case I guess that technically affects everyone :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

PageMaster posted:

Same thing is happening to me. We've found two strategies of beating it around level 50 or so.

If you max out Salve Maker and Phantom on one character they can Dread/Confusion/Charm/Paralyse bomb your opponents on turn 1 to functionally cripple them while you get to work.

If you max out two Performers then they can use the BP battery strat I listed above to permanently chain Shut up and dance into each other and give you unlimited turns.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What do I need for Godspeed hitting everyone?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

^burtle posted:

What do I need for Godspeed hitting everyone?

Be at the very end of the game. The game makes it quite clear when you get to that point.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ah yup, just hadn’t done that one yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What's up with the battle music change in Chapter 4? It makes it sound like every battle is a boss battle. I don't like it, give me my regular battle music back.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

everyone stop right now, because I've realized something and I might be a huge dumbass

I turned my Switch back on and was greeted with messages along the top of my screen describing exploration rewards, while not on the exploration screen

you can just turn the mode on at a boat place and then leave and it'll run whenever you do put your Switch on sleep mode, I think

I had definitely thought you had to hit the grandma up every time you were done playing

I thought that at first too, but nope, whenever you put the switch into sleep mode, Seth runs off and hops on a boat for some side adventures

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's classic Seth

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I sent him off on the boat and he was doing things while I was out exploring. Uh I guess so??

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inflammatory posted:

i've been wondering, do beastmaster monster skills actually scale with your stats? because it feels like they don't.

I don't think they do, but it seems like there's always at least one monster you can farm in the dungeon before each boss that you can OTC to do 9999 damage.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Godspeed Strike feels like cheating and I love it

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Be at the very end of the game. The game makes it quite clear when you get to that point.

Does this mean there is a way to make one character's Godspeed be multi-target?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Im just starting out Chapter 3, and I got Salvemaker. But the dungeon are really starting to give me trouble and I'm burning through Ethers with my team, and I can't seem to do more than 1/8 an enemies damage with alot of moves. Is there an optimal team I should be using? I've got my Thief/Ranger, Healer (W Mage/Bard), Damage Magic ( Black/Red Mage) and Muscle (Shieldmaster/Vanguard) and im hovering around Level 30. Should I just be braving more for these rando fights, cause I need them to stop lasting more than a couple minutes.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Im just starting out Chapter 3, and I got Salvemaker. But the dungeon are really starting to give me trouble and I'm burning through Ethers with my team, and I can't seem to do more than 1/8 an enemies damage with alot of moves. Is there an optimal team I should be using? I've got my Thief/Ranger, Healer (W Mage/Bard), Damage Magic ( Black/Red Mage) and Muscle (Shieldmaster/Vanguard) and im hovering around Level 30. Should I just be braving more for these rando fights, cause I need them to stop lasting more than a couple minutes.

This is what I did for trash. Use Freelancer (that has Body Slam) as your sub job and have Sub-Job BP Saver as one of your abilities. Brave out and spam Body Slam.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Fancy Hat! posted:

you should be able to configure your party to alpha strike down every enemy piece in the first round of combat every time by this point in the game. take a look at some of the abilities in the vanguard, thief, and berserker trees for some good opportunities for doing high damage to groups quickly. Be sure you're equipping stuff that matches the primary job specialties.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Does this mean there is a way to make one character's Godspeed be multi-target?

The poo poo you can pull in the very endgame is hilarious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Natural 20 posted:

Same thing is happening to me. We've found two strategies of beating it around level 50 or so.

If you max out Salve Maker and Phantom on one character they can Dread/Confusion/Charm/Paralyse bomb your opponents on turn 1 to functionally cripple them while you get to work.

If you max out two Performers then they can use the BP battery strat I listed above to permanently chain Shut up and dance into each other and give you unlimited turns.

There's no need to max out Salve-maker because everything you want from it is in Mix, or whatever it's called, which is its level 1 skill. You just need a level 12 Phantom to permanently shut down anything in the game, full stop. Also, I guess this is irrelevant to anyone spamming Godspeed Strike or whatever, but if you use Contagion you can also make bosses run out of MP in ~5 turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fancy Hat! posted:

For some reason I'm not seeing Berserker in this list! Berserker is basically the job for killing trash mobs, at least relatively early on (I'm also in Chapter 3). Early on they have an AoE that costs BP to use, but later they get Level Slash which is a strong physical AoE.

(That being said, the flower mobs in that specific area are obnoxious and will frequently give a bunch of status effects to the character who uses a physical AoE on them)