Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Having dyed hair absolutely was a big deal in the 90s, especially in America since the punk scene never really went mainstream there the way it did in the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one cares if you dye your hair these days, in the 90s it could get you suspended from school

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Simone Magus posted:

Having dyed hair absolutely was a big deal in the 90s, especially in America since the punk scene never really went mainstream there the way it did in the UK

Punk was huge in the US in the 90s, or do you mean it wasn’t so big in the 70s?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

No one cares if you dye your hair these days, in the 90s it could get you suspended from school

In my middle school I got in trouble do sagging because my pants were below my belly button, and I was forced to wear a rope belt for the rest of the day. This was like 1994 or 1995.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was in middle school there was one girl that had a playboy tattoo on her belly and she sure loved to show it off

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

When I was in middle school there was one girl that had a playboy tattoo on her belly and she sure loved to show it off

Feel like even in the 90s someone would call CPS over a middle school kid showing off their tattoos.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Debris answered the question someone had earlier in the thread about touching alien stuff. They're able to detect/measure the alien energy and know what levels are safe for human contact and what needs hazmat suits.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Wearing a trenchcoat could get you suspended in the 90s, I wonder what stupid stuff like that was going on in schools before the apocalypse.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

pentyne posted:

Feel like even in the 90s someone would call CPS over a middle school kid showing off their tattoos.

It was 90s San Francisco (before Columbine) so nobody really cared about anything like tattoos, hair, or dress code. I was with the weird group that carried butterfly knives and practiced flipping them around at lunch time. It wasn't a dangerous area or anything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

It was 90s San Francisco (before Columbine) so nobody really cared about anything like tattoos, hair, or dress code. I was with the weird group that carried butterfly knives and practiced flipping them around at lunch time. It wasn't a dangerous area or anything.

What year? I was in Seattle pre Columbine and a knife would have been confiscated, and I would have gotten a suspension. Expulsion was something that happened when you got too many suspensions.

I did manage to get at least one Saturday school per year over stupid poo poo.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

muscles like this! posted:

This week's Debris answered the question someone had earlier in the thread about touching alien stuff. They're able to detect/measure the alien energy and know what levels are safe for human contact and what needs hazmat suits.

Nah, they showed from episode 1 that they were able to detect ??Lorentz?? radiation from extant pieces to see how intensely they messed with normal stuff.

What I was wondering was if day-to-day people were looped in on this at all, and episode 2's "we're blaming it on a failed Russian experimental rocket" solves that question.

This entire story is already as stupid as poo poo, sorry to any fans???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had a couple friends who were just generic rear end in a top hat troublemakers who used to make smoke and stink bombs at home and use them in middle school. This was immediately post-9/11 and I don’t think they ever caught a reprimand because they were never caught. And that’s despite one of them constantly bringing airsoft guns in his backpack and showing them off in homeroom. Texas!

We kinda pariah’d him in high school and I haven’t spoken to him in well over a decade, but I’m pretty sure airsoft kid went on to become a marine. :yikes:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

Many asian kids had brown-ish highlights and they made up over half my school population. Pre-9/11 ruled.

I'm having trouble following the link between those two sentences. Did your school adopt a strict "whites only" policy?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was a story in '92 how a kid got suspended from school for wearing a Penguin (from Batman Returns) shirt, because the school felt it was "satanic".

Danny Devito then sent the kid a bunch of Penguin merchandise though, so it wasn't all bad.

Schools were also banning Bart Simpson t-shirts too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My friend had the Tool shirt that was a dick wrench and they made him change it or get suspended.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sticklefifer posted:

My friend had the Tool shirt that was a dick wrench and they made him change it or get suspended.

Same thing happened at my school

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO Max has announced they're doing a comedy series inspired by the dissolution of the BA Test Kitchen. Ryan Walker-Hartshorn, who was Bon Appetit EiC Adam Rappaport's assistant at the time (and the only black woman on staff) is helping create the show which sounds like it isn't going to be directly about what happened at BA but more telling stories in a similar vein.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of HBO Max, I'm one episode in to Generation (or Genera+ion according to the title cards, a choice I'm not a fan of) and I'm enjoying it. It's got that classic half-hour drama energy to it, plus a focus on queer teens. It also seems to be some sort of Roshamon style drama, told out of chronological order, so there's a real throw everything at the wall vibe to it that's exciting to watch.

There's a handful of lines that clunk, but given that it was written by a 17 year old, I'd imagine it would do. Justice Smith is very good in it too. Feeling good about it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HBO Max has announced they're doing a comedy series inspired by the dissolution of the BA Test Kitchen. Ryan Walker-Hartshorn, who was Bon Appetit EiC Adam Rappaport's assistant at the time (and the only black woman on staff) is helping create the show which sounds like it isn't going to be directly about what happened at BA but more telling stories in a similar vein.

Hopefully they get super-meta and touch on the drama with the Reply-All podcast. So bummed all that happened, but at least they weren't monsters or anything.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Punk was huge in the US in the 90s, or do you mean it wasn’t so big in the 70s?

I mean it wasn't mainstream in the 70s and 80s yeah.

Like growing up in the UK, The Smiths and Joy Division etc were on the radio and even like Top of the Pops.

In America you had Tipper Gore (a Democrat!) trying to ban the Dead Kennedys for using HR Giger artwork

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Netflix is pushing The Witcher on my homepage. I remember watching it, and remember it being high in production value but I don't think I can tell you a single plot from the series. I know the Witcher, a witch, and a child. Can't remember how they all fit together.

Hopefully season 2 has a good intro for "Previously, on The Witcher..."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sticklefifer posted:

I'm old enough to remember the Bart Simpson ban.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hughmoris posted:

Netflix is pushing The Witcher on my homepage. I remember watching it, and remember it being high in production value but I don't think I can tell you a single plot from the series. I know the Witcher, a witch, and a child. Can't remember how they all fit together.

Hopefully season 2 has a good intro for "Previously, on The Witcher..."

If the Previously On isn't done as a Dandelion/Jaskier ballad, the show will have already lost its way

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really dug Witcher, but I've got to agree. I went back and watched the first two episodes and realized that everything I remembered from the show was in those two and everything after is just kinda a mush. But that show's vibe is great and I'd watch several seasons more mush in that vein.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

I think bleachjng hair was way more common at the time.

But I don't think that show was especially accurate to anything except Claire Danes being a good actress.

pooka beads, bleached hair, gelled hair, polo shirts, and fruitopia

ah poo poo i'm remembering 2000.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

a better capsule for the 90s is She's All That

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

I mean, her story was pretty much the least interesting of the whole thing. It basically amounted to him being a slightly dickish boss. There was certainly nothing there that would get him into the top 100 on the Hollywood's Worst Bosses list.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shageletic posted:

I always say if you want to see the worst part of the 90s encapsulated in one music video just watch All Star by Smashmouth

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doom2020! posted:

1) Was dyeing your hair really that big of a thing back then?
2) How can there be so much drama over nothing? Not just from the teens but the parents.
3) Is this show really that accurate?

As someone that grew up in the suburbs in Michigan, I will say yes.

In middle school after a girl dyed her hair, she was taken to the principal's office and was told that she had to dye it back because it would be too big of a distraction or take a two week suspension. She came out and told everyone and a lot of people came in the next day with dyed hair. It was crazy. My best friend dyed his hair blond and his dad asked him if he was gay... I grew up in a dramedy.

I feel like if you take elements of My So Called Life, The Detroiters, and weirdly Derry Girls it may give someone a good understanding of my 90s experience.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 12, 2021

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Is Black Monday worth investing in? Really liked the first episode (aside from the Girls guy being pretty bad) but feel like I never heard any buzz about it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It unfortunately only got one season but Everything Sucks on Netflix is set in 1996 and is pretty great.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

False posted:

Is Black Monday worth investing in? Really liked the first episode (aside from the Girls guy being pretty bad) but feel like I never heard any buzz about it.

I really liked the first season, but I never watched the second season. It is weird, I felt like I didn’t need anymore of it after season 1 despite liking it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shageletic posted:

I feel like Tim and Eric Awesome Show really captures the aesthetics of the 90s perfectly, even if its type of comedy is not very 90s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It unfortunately only got one season but Everything Sucks on Netflix is set in 1996 and is pretty great.

That show was garbage dude.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like The Mick. It reminds me of AP Bio without the redeeming kids, or rich-family-IASIP since every character is irredeemably bad and it's fun to see bad things happen to them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

That show was garbage dude.

Naw but it also only got one season two years ago so does it really matter? Plus the conversation was about 90s aesthetics, which the show nailed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg posted:

I really dug Witcher, but I've got to agree. I went back and watched the first two episodes and realized that everything I remembered from the show was in those two and everything after is just kinda a mush. But that show's vibe is great and I'd watch several seasons more mush in that vein.

It'd probably be more memorable if the show was told in something even vaguely resembling chronological order instead of jumping around arbitrarily in an effort to give every character equal screen time in every episode even though some of them weren't born yet. I hope the next seasons drop that gimmick for good.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

False posted:

gently caress YES. It's amazing and season 2 especially is insaaaaaaaane

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The way the witcher grunts all his lines like a Nolan movie started to get really annoying halfway into the first episode. I still have no idea what "law of surprise" is so the joke didn't really land for me in that episode with the rat dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mu Zeta posted:

The way the witcher grunts all his lines like a Nolan movie started to get really annoying halfway into the first episode. I still have no idea what "law of surprise" is so the joke didn't really land for me in that episode with the rat dude.

Law of Surprise says if you can't pay me I take whatever you have that is surprising!