Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Make sure you read that Ray Whitney article from a few weeks ago where he talks about how it's really the injured player's fault for putting himself in a bad position if you want some fresh furor at DOPS's ineptitude

Yeah, I really can’t handle that. It’s bad enough that referees can’t decide on a consistent standard for an over explained and litigated rule book, but the onus for safety is always on the person instigating the contact.

That first hit could have been fine, but the puck carrier went to stretch and that made the whole thing bad. I’m not saying it’s clean, but there’s a few things that have made it worse than the person starting the contact was hopefully expecting.

The second one is just dirty. You don’t skate with your legs stuck way out like that naturally, and even if you do for some reason, get it out of the way or make contact for a good hit. Dahlin didn’t even jump out of the way, so there’s no excuse here. Even less excuse as a referee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

RyJo seems to be having a blast in Nashville

https://twitter.com/AlexDaugherty1/...s1_c10&ref_url=

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1370218085685284867

wait does this guy coach a professional hockey team or report on US police shootings? I can't tell

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

6 more years for petey to live rent free in binnington's head

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianHedger/status/1370218085685284867

wait does this guy coach a professional hockey team or report on US police shootings? I can't tell

At one point the announcers said basically that exact same thing, "it's just how the situations and matchups played out." Because Tortorella doesn't have like twenty years of history benching players for childish bullshit reasons.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

What team does Torts end up coaching after this?

I doubt he ends up on a Canadian team after that Vancouver fiasco, though maybe Edmonton will surprise us.

Dallas, Pittsburgh or Philly maybe?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Montreal. Torts vs. the French media will be iconic

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The trend seems to be hiring AV then Torts or Torts then AV so I think Philly is most likely.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/scotmaxw/status/1370003279925698560

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Furnaceface posted:

I doubt he ends up on a Canadian team after that Vancouver fiasco, though maybe Edmonton will surprise us.

Not Dallas unless he's around in like a decade. Nill knows there is nothing wrong with his team and therefore there is no reason to attempt to make any changes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mystery of the Druids 2 on the right there looks interesting.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

The trend seems to be hiring AV then Torts or Torts then AV so I think Philly is most likely.

I could see AV already being on a really tight leash if the Flyers miss the playoffs which is looking more and more likely. At this point though I don't even know if he's even a problem.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Furnaceface posted:

I doubt Pittsburgh only because I doubt his ego can coexist with Burke's. Philosophically it's a great match though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Tippett isn't going anywhere

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

I could see AV already being on a really tight leash if the Flyers miss the playoffs which is looking more and more likely. At this point though I don't even know if he's even a problem.

I honestly don’t think coaching is the problem. Maybe rose colored glasses, but AV seems fine.

Two key players: Hart and Myers, are having sophomore slumps. I do think both bounce back next year. Flyers defensive depth sucks to begin with. Patrick still hasn’t found his footing, and with his scenario I don’t know the answer as to whether it’s taking too much time or not for him to do so.

Add to it that they missed time with Covid, so now they have to play hockey every other day. I think people aren’t factoring in enough how much teams that have schedules like that are way more likely to under perform just due to fatigue.

I mean, they’re also Dogshit garbage , but my opinion for Covid season is I honestly would not overreact too much, this season is not real professional hockey, so there’s just so much more variance.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/sportslogosnet/status/1370374871394451456?s=19

wow who could've ever seen this coming

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

How have the graphics not improved at all in a decade?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1370375059462885376

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next up is "testing" ads on jerseys just to see how it goes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The corner ads are a thousand times worse than the helmet ones. I can stomach them in the neutral zone because nothing of note happens there but God it's annoying watching a corner scrum and reading the word ENTERPRISE over and over.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

This is blatantly misleading

It's going to stay on helmets and creep down to the jerseys!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All ads are an abomination so ranking them is kind of pointless. :v:

How about the league move to 100% digitally placed ads and then sell a package that streams with no ads at all.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

then sell a package that streams with no ads at all.

No ads on NHL.TV would only be two less than they've managed to sell on the service so far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

The Ducks.

The Mighty Ducks.

ThinkTank posted:

How have the graphics not improved at all in a decade?

Thornton is just that ugly.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I like the digital ads on the ice that never work properly and instead zoom around all over the place.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1370381446691586054

[screaming]

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

xzzy posted:

All ads are an abomination so ranking them is kind of pointless. :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
binnington is like A#1 example of "there's always a decent goalie available somewhere"

like, why would you do that number after going through the same thing with allen

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mind_Taker posted:

I like the digital ads on the ice that never work properly and instead zoom around all over the place.

I like when they gently caress up strobe and trick your brains into looking away from the things you're trying to watch.

Peak NHL that they can't do superimposed ads when they basically invented the technology.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

binnington is like A#1 example of "there's always a decent goalie available somewhere"

like, why would you do that number after going through the same thing with allen

Blues are doing what Chicago did and give out big contracts to the players that won them a cup. Except for Petro I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Every team does that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's a bad deal, but they won a cup and if the Canucks managed to do that I wouldn't care in the slightest if they signed everyone who was even slightly involved to giant thank you contracts.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If the Stars won last year I wouldn't care if they gave Benn 10 mil for the rest of his career.

Whats that now?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1370390625254846466

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Well at least it looks like there's no NMC for Binnington, just a modified NTC. What does the ESPN deal mean for the salary cap, anything?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It means the escrow buildup (gonna be close to 1billion) disappears faster and THEN the cap will go up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Well at least it looks like there's no NMC for Binnington, just a modified NTC. What does the ESPN deal mean for the salary cap, anything?

Bettman said yesterday it'll be flat for the next few years as a result of the delayed repayment promise they made to the players. Overall it's only $60m per year more than before, so less than $2m per team of which half is allocated to player salaries. Depending on what they get for it, the B package they sell might result in a modest rise in a few years, but we're talking $3-5m per year tops.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/berger_bytes/status/1370355039957565441?s=21

Is this guy legit?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Absolutely not, Berger was a joke of a Leafs opinion columnist in the early 2000s and hasn't had a real job in a decade

not that someone from the Sabres couldn't be fired today but it'd be more of a broken clock situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pretty bold prediction.