Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bees x1000 posted:

hm? he’s got a whole colossus titan body to work with.

I’m not saying he is or he isn’t dead, just that his death if it happens is very likely to be voluntary.

Then again,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The whole last chapter is everyone just trying to get Mikasa to put the head down

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought this was finished so when I got to that last panel I was like - the balls on this fucker to end on that note. So there's more, eh? I couldn't wait for the anime to finish so I just bullrushed everything from chapter 112.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...i9yd0sunl61.mp4

Stole this from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/attackontitan/comments/lzy6f1/episode_13_spoilers_eren_brings_some_mcd/

Thought i oughtta post this in the manga thread to.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Just glad to be over and done with "will she do it? Will she be able to kill Eren?" re: Mikasa. There were all these other angles to her identity that could have provided a second beat or two along the line, all to just hit that one drum over and over for the last year or so of content.

I liked how even in her fantasy, she can't let herself forget or look away from the reality of what Eren is. The illusion lasts all of two seconds and you can practically feel the dream rewriting itself in real time as dream eren averts his eyes and changes the subject. "yeah, well, ya know...all that stuff I did."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This frame needs some appreciation.

I would've posted it without timg but every good source wasn't working so I ended up with the 265.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DaveKap posted:

This frame needs some appreciation.

I would've posted it without timg but every good source wasn't working so I ended up with the 265.

I saw it without timg.

And yes. Floch's a delightful piece of poo poo. It's kind of amazing how good a character he is, on the whole.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

His turn to full on nationalist is gonna be some insane animation. I cannot wait. What a spectacle.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I could almost see this ending with wormkill not changing everyone back; eren gets the twisted achievement of creating the empty world that he dreamed of exploring as a child and the setting becomes what it initially looked like with paradis being a lone point of civilization surrounded by titans. Instead of discovering what apocalypse happened the series was about following it in real time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

I could almost see this ending with wormkill not changing everyone back; eren gets the twisted achievement of creating the empty world that he dreamed of exploring as a child and the setting becomes what it initially looked like with paradis being a lone point of civilization surrounded by titans. Instead of discovering what apocalypse happened the series was about following it in real time.

The issue there is that Titans are explicitly a nonthreat on their own. The people of Paradis basically just tricked them all into giant guillotines once they weren't being intentionally crippled by the rulers of the country and their effectiveness as weapons was rapidly diminishing. The Rumbling was a threat because it was an army of nearly unstoppable giant behemoths being guided by a demigod. Even if you assumed that every single person left who is capable of turning into a Titan did turn into a Titan that isn't really going to stop the solution of "make a really loving big trap and let them smash themselves against it" being viable.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Vintersorg posted:

His turn to full on nationalist is gonna be some insane animation. I cannot wait. What a spectacle.
Yeah I'm really looking forward to :master: Yelena face.

chiasaur11 posted:

I saw it without timg.
Yeah I didn't like how it looked. Too much pixel crunching.

It's nice to get all this plot dumping in a weekly format so I can follow it easier. I'm gonna be real honest: The Jaegarist plot confused the gently caress out of me for a while because I had to keep track of who was a captured Marleyan, who was a Jaegarist, who was a traitor, who was from some other outside country, who was Eldian, and where the gently caress Erin and his friends stood... and in a format where I could only learn new bits every month through possibly-lovely translations. I could keep track of every character in A Song of Ice and Fire but the AoT factions somehow mess me up completely. It also doesn't help that the way it's drawn, and the fact it's black and white, means confusing multiple characters for each other. Almost every time I saw Mikasa or Armin I had to remember which character I was looking at.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 9, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was reading the chapter again, with the new translation, and thinking about what it happened with Mikasa.

The big headaches she shows through the chapter that eventually manifest the 'vision', it almost could be interpreted by what Eren said, that she was 'programmed' to obey him, so the headaches are bigger now because she is acting against him, trying to kill him, until finally it gets unbearable and she snaps by making up a dreamlike vision where she retreats to have peace of mind.
However that explanation doesn't explain why she suddenly knew his head was inside the mouth of Titan-Eren, nor why Eren's face in the 'ideal world' appeared suddenly with the titan marks on the face (if it was really something she made up), so I prefer the second argument: that is really Eren somehow communicating with her

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 9, 2021

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vision of a parallel universe where Mikasa gave Eren an answer during their first journey outside of Paradis (chapter 123). Presumably, instead of going to the consortium where Eren came to the conclusion that the path that he chose in the manga was the only way, Eren and Mikasa just ran away or something.

It's a vision Eren had very early on in the manga. Chapter 1, in fact.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
that blows my mind
doesn't make up for the fact that Colossal Armin didn't have enough focus. He fought giant Eren for like 2 panels. was looking forward to more from Armin here at the end but he was always third wheel

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Vision of a parallel universe where Mikasa gave Eren an answer during their first journey outside of Paradis (chapter 123). Presumably, instead of going to the consortium where Eren came to the conclusion that the path that he chose in the manga was the only way, Eren and Mikasa just ran away or something.

It's a vision Eren had very early on in the manga. Chapter 1, in fact.

Yes, I already noticed how it's finally explanation THROUGH PATHS of chapter 1 vision. The grass matches up, as Mikasa's hair (hell, it's funny, because the only way it could match has been through this vision of a parallel world, as know her hair is shorter now)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Boy that's gonna be awkward for MAPPA to animate considering how different their style is from Wit.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I wonder if Mikasa's headaches are caused by the moment at the end of the last chapter. Eren may have (inadvertently?) tried to manipulate Mikasa's memories using the Founding Titan ("Forget about me") and, through PATHS, that rippled backwards through time because Eren is also simultaneously sending his memories back to his 10-year-old self ("See you later, Eren"). As a result, the "echo" of Eren's mind control manifests in Mikasa in instances where Eren's life is threatened or she experiences doubts about him, which seems to be the trigger for when her headaches to occur. However, Ackermans are immune to the Founder's mind control so it doesn't work, it just harms Mikasa instead.

Alternatively: more simply, Mikasa is touching Eren when he sends his memories back and she gets glimpses of the future through this contact. Her younger self's mind cannot comprehend the memories but she gets headaches whenever she is subconciously reminded of Eren's "death".

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 9, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
For the same reason he'd tried to push her and Armin away by calling them slaves (which through the Zeke flashback we confirm is bullshit), I believe Eren showed Mikasa a vision of the alternate course of events she'd wished in her heart, so that she would have a chance to come to terms with her feelings and finally let go of him.

Remember that until this moment she's been thoroughly conflicted, and can't accept their final conversation was Eren saying he hated her.

The titan marks on Eren's face in the vision are because the entire four years of alternate reality play out in an instant, ending when Eren eventually reaches his time limit (which causes holders to start wasting away, as shown by Uri) and peacefully passes away.

ED: On the subject, I just realized Eren probably first heard of the slave thing from himself through the Attack Titan years before, no other context to it, so that was his headspace when he asked Mikasa the question about how she felt about him. He didn't get to confirm it was his own lie until he had a chance to talk to Zeke in person much later.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 9, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
basically Erens been tripping for a decade

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Eej posted:

Boy that's gonna be awkward for MAPPA to animate considering how different their style is from Wit.

They can literally power through it I mean WIT never showed Mikasa's tattoo either and now in the MAPPA show its Canon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

They can literally power through it I mean WIT never showed Mikasa's tattoo either and now in the MAPPA show its Canon.

An easy way to solve it is to draw the alternative timeline world with WIT's art style. It would be a cute gimmick!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I forget, does Levi ever talk about headaches or is that just a Mikasa thing?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bees x1000 posted:

I forget, does Levi ever talk about headaches or is that just a Mikasa thing?

I think he mentions them once when speaking with Mikasa.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Levi habitually complains about "annoying situations" making his head hurt.

Migraines could indeed be a congenital Ackerman trait, but it Levi's case it could just be because is an insomniac, and our third reference point, Kenny, never mentions anything of the sort.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Levi and Kenny never really had any conflict with the people they bonded to so it makes sense that they never got headaches

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Levi was originally hired to assassinate Erwin, and before the Shiganshina operation was 100% serious about breaking his legs to keep him from going.

As mentioned, he also gets headaches all the time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Also Kenny was plotting against Rod pretty much the entire time?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kenny bonded with Uri and was loyal until the latter's death. He had no respect for Rod and was planning to interfere in the next selection after Frieda.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I know that everyone is predicting that Eren might be pulling a God Emperor of Dune, but I went back and re-read chapters 130 and 131, and honestly... I don't think that fits with what he's given us so far. He spends those chapters (partially in internal monologue, so there's no reason to lie) talking about how Paradis falling is unacceptable, and he knows that he'll end up killing more people than if he had just let Marley win. He reiterates multiple times that he wants to take the world's freedom to secure his own and that of his friends, imagines an open world where he has free reign, and regresses to a child-like state in order to distance himself from the horror he's inflicting. This doesn't sound like Leto II or Lelouch stuff to me.
It could be that the horrors of genocide dawned on him, and since he's psychologically predisposed to move towards freedom - yet understanding the cost of that freedom - he's given the world a way to take him out of it. It may not be so much that he needs the world to be free as is he needs to exist in a "free" (rumbled) world, or none at all, and he's leaving that decision up to his friends.
It could also be that Ymir's newfound freedom allowed her to see the devastation Eren wrought and how desperately people were fighting, and it catalyzed a change in her. We can see how she viewed the Alliance the same way as the pigs that she initially freed, and we've come to understand that she's mainly looking to experience the human connections she's been denied. Is it possible that Eren misunderstood his visions - he thought that genocide would bring peace, but in actuality, it's Ymir's sympathetic awakening and betrayal that does so? Or are Eren's visions from a completely different source (Paths), and "that scenery" that motivated him was never real in the first place.
I can't say for sure, but I would like to know how anyone can potentially reconcile what we know about his motivations and actions with a God Emperor/Ozymandias ending.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I know that everyone is predicting that Eren might be pulling a God Emperor of Dune, but I went back and re-read chapters 130 and 131, and honestly... I don't think that fits with what he's given us so far. He spends those chapters (partially in internal monologue, so there's no reason to lie) talking about how Paradis falling is unacceptable, and he knows that he'll end up killing more people than if he had just let Marley win. He reiterates multiple times that he wants to take the world's freedom to secure his own and that of his friends, imagines an open world where he has free reign, and regresses to a child-like state in order to distance himself from the horror he's inflicting. This doesn't sound like Leto II or Lelouch stuff to me.
It could be that the horrors of genocide dawned on him, and since he's psychologically predisposed to move towards freedom - yet understanding the cost of that freedom - he's given the world a way to take him out of it. It may not be so much that he needs the world to be free as is he needs to exist in a "free" (rumbled) world, or none at all, and he's leaving that decision up to his friends.
It could also be that Ymir's newfound freedom allowed her to see the devastation Eren wrought and how desperately people were fighting, and it catalyzed a change in her. We can see how she viewed the Alliance the same way as the pigs that she initially freed, and we've come to understand that she's mainly looking to experience the human connections she's been denied. Is it possible that Eren misunderstood his visions - he thought that genocide would bring peace, but in actuality, it's Ymir's sympathetic awakening and betrayal that does so? Or are Eren's visions from a completely different source (Paths), and "that scenery" that motivated him was never real in the first place.
I can't say for sure, but I would like to know how anyone can potentially reconcile what we know about his motivations and actions with a God Emperor/Ozymandias ending.

If I had to guess (and I'd really rather not. My predictive skills were just shown to be completely, gloriously inaccurate lately) I'd lay it out like this.

Eren knows the following:
1) He's going to unleash the rumbling
2) Mikasa's going to slice his head off
3) Paradis will be saved and the threat of the Titans will be gone.

Everything else, he's flying blind. He can't stop the alliance, because that would prevent Mikasa from reaching him (which is an essential point on the path to step 3), but he can't stop going forward either, because that would also prevent Mikasa from going all out. He knows he's going to kill people. He knows he's going to kill a lot of people, including Ramzi. But he doesn't know how thorough it's going to be. (Thus his line to Falco that he might destroy the world.)

He's saving Paradis, Historia, Armin, and Mikasa. Everything else is negotiable.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Beefstew posted:

Or are Eren's visions from a completely different source (Paths), and "that scenery" that motivated him was never real in the first place. I can't say for sure, but I would like to know how anyone can potentially reconcile what we know about his motivations and actions with a God Emperor/Ozymandias ending.

If the Attack Titan works like we think it does, It could be that Future Eren is manipulating Past Eren by not showing him everything. It would have parallels to what happened with Grisha. That could make 130/131 Eren's feelings legitimate and also set up some sort of Lelouch play in the ending. I don't find this particularly probable or interesting, but it could make sense.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Lelouch is impossible now that all the witnesses are dead, titans or Ackermans.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bees x1000 posted:

Lelouch is impossible now that all the witnesses are dead, titans or Ackermans.

The titans will surely transform back to humans once the worm is killed

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Elias_Maluco posted:

The titans will surely transform back to humans once the worm is killed

yeah but

1. are they going to remember what happened while titanized? even if they do,
2. the world won’t believe Eldians.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There were some regular people from Marley there too, they are now surrounded by titans which will be trying to murder them, but one or two might maybe make it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder who’s left, Japan and England are partially gone and maybe all of Marley but we still don’t know the full extent of the devastation

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ethiser posted:

There were some regular people from Marley there too, they are now surrounded by titans which will be trying to murder them, but one or two might maybe make it.

I think Falco's scream lured them off the mountain/thing so they wouldn't attack the remaining people.

aquaero
Oct 29, 2011
I thought it was the worm that called the pure titans to protect itself. I don't think it has a will as such beyond survival, just like what Zeke spoke about in the previous chapter. So it wasn't Eren or Ymir that titanised the Eldians, but the worm on its own, so that Reiner wouldn't be able to kill it (easily, anyway).

Also, the Marleyans on the fort are actually safe and alive as far as I can tell, and I figure that's a deliberate decision by Isayama. If the curse ends, either the pure titans get turned back or they, I don't know, dissolve into sand, and the shifters lose their powers, and the Marleyans will have witnessed all of that. That will then serve as proof that the Eldians can no longer transform or be transformed, which allows for a better chance at peaceful negotiations post-rumbling. At least the rest of the world won't have an easy excuse to slaughter all the remaining Eldians as a defensive measure.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
that is if they take the word of a few survivors of a planet wide genocidal event? Right. I'd like to see them try and take Paradis even without their shifters right after the goddamn rumbling
the final panel is a totally ambiguous open to interpretation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aquaero
Oct 29, 2011
Eh, I'm not saying it's perfect logic, just that I could see the narrative presenting it that way. Though that raises the question of just how much of the world is left alive. We were shown SnK's version of England and Japan being flattened, but that doesn't really make geographical sense if the colossal titans with Eren are only just reaching the fort on Marley. I wouldn't mind the world being destroyed with only Paradis and the survivors here left alive, though (and, I guess, Kiyomi & co).