Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I do find I never build anything but ziplines after bringing a region online, and that's only because ziplines are the only interdependent structures in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This game, you guys. I'm doing a second playthrough on PC right now (since they released that Cyberpunk DLC-type stuff), and it's still Real Good.

Look at this pinnacle of online piss-competition!

night slime
May 14, 2014
Piss cooperation not competition

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The cheerleader is killing me

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Keep On Keeping On

With your piss

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
few more mL's and we'll have another hot springs

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i just started playing this game last month and am now obsessed with trying to setup a zipline network across central. is their a good way to do this? i made strand contracts with some of the owners of the ziplines i see on my map but its pretty hit or miss. a lot of ones that dont seem to go anywhere or are obstructed

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Acer Pilot posted:

i just started playing this game last month and am now obsessed with trying to setup a zipline network across central. is their a good way to do this? i made strand contracts with some of the owners of the ziplines i see on my map but its pretty hit or miss. a lot of ones that dont seem to go anywhere or are obstructed

1. Max out your rating with everyone, higher ratings=more bandwith=more ziplines
2. Obviously you can only build in areas connected to the network, so hook up anybody who isn't already online. Some of these will take more work than others.
3. Try to use other people's ziplines when possible since they don't count for your own bandwidth. If you want to get really particular about it, the game will only generate so many structures from other people's games, so if you want more ziplines to show up you can delete other people's structures and the game will populate a new one. If someone's zipline shows up in a spot that does you no good, it's totally possible to just delete it and try to get another one to populate.
4. Upgrade a zipline to level 2 and it has an extra 50 meters of range, this can help close up quite a few gaps or allow you to use two ziplines instead of three for certain legs. This also means you can make the zipline play "Anything You Need", which is clearly the correct choice.
5. Line of sight will make or break a good network, so as you build try to find spots that have good line of sight to multiple directions. Moving a few meters in one direction can, again, be the difference between going over a mountain using two ziplines instead of three.

I really enjoyed the second half of the game being SimZipline and had a great time building a comprehensive network all over Central.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Zonko_T.M. posted:

the game will only generate so many structures from other people's games, so if you want more ziplines to show up you can delete other people's structures and the game will populate a new one

That's weird, I had issues with the game just putting back in the same building I deleted next time I fired the game up. Which was really annoying when I deleted random pointless bridges that were blocking my zipline LOS and then next time they were back and I had to trudge over on foot and delete them again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wafflecopper posted:

That's weird, I had issues with the game just putting back in the same building I deleted next time I fired the game up. Which was really annoying when I deleted random pointless bridges that were blocking my zipline LOS and then next time they were back and I had to trudge over on foot and delete them again.

if the game is repopulating your world with the same stuff you're deleting you might be in a bridges contract with the person whose stuff you're deleting, the game makes a point of prioritizing their stuff when it populates your world with new things

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Wafflecopper posted:

You can delete structures remotely from the map

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't like that you can't pick stuff up when you're riding a motorcycle. It sucks.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So How does one equip the otter hood? I want to be one with the river But after the cutscene where I was given one ebded I didnt have it in my inventory?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Valtonen posted:

So How does one equip the otter hood? I want to be one with the river But after the cutscene where I was given one ebded I didnt have it in my inventory?

Hold up on the d-pad to access the cosmetics wheel/menu. No idea what it is on keyboard + mouse, I’m guessing 3 or 4.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 4, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just started a replay of Death Stranding and something from an early cutscene stuck out to me: when you first meet Igor his truck's body is raised extremely high above the wheels and has to lower itself so he can get out. Is there a type of truck Sam can get that can do that? If so I completely missed it on my first time through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The normal trucks do that when you drive through water, I have no idea why he was just driving around the city like that though, presumably just because it looked cool.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Ziplines; is there Any extra distance gain on upgrading both ends of a zipline or is the 350 from one end being upgraded the only extra length you can get out of them?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

350 is the max so you need some careful planning if you're planning on building a zipline network across America

night slime
May 14, 2014
A 350 distance zipline would be able to reach a 300 meter zipline, but you wouldn't be able to go back to it after using it, so keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure that's how it works but going off memory here.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

night slime posted:

A 350 distance zipline would be able to reach a 300 meter zipline, but you wouldn't be able to go back to it after using it, so keep that in mind. I'm pretty sure that's how it works but going off memory here.

No Ive tested it; lvl 1 hooked up to lvl2 at 350 works both ways. Havent tested If lvl2 hooked to lvl2 goes farther But Apparently it doesnt.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Is it possible to get a zip to mountain knot from weather station over the mountains?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think it's possible to link every location in Central with ziplines although you have to plan it carefully to have enough bandwidth. Weather Station to Mountain Knot should be no problem.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Valtonen posted:

Is it possible to get a zip to mountain knot from weather station over the mountains?

Of course. I liked using the route from Weather Station to the Roboticist and then Heartman. With this route on the mountain North-East-North of Heartman I had a zipline that also connected towards Mountain Knot. It's a serious of case optimization though to have one zipline that connects with three others, that one took me a while to nail down.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 5, 2021

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Valtonen posted:

it is actually fairly well easier than it seems, and while that pass is completely impossible to navigate in the early game, if you have the climbing claws and all terrain skeleton on it's really actually not bad at all.

the only problem i had was when i was trying to connect it near the hot spring up there, the game really doesn't like you building stuff too close to it, so i just made the connection at one of the higher peaks to the side.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Valtonen posted:

Yeah, I've done it. Had to build a zip to the robotics (I think) and then walk past her base, and pickup the zip again on the eastern ridge to head down to weather station.

It was satisfying but not *that* useful because there's only a few side missions between the west and east side of the map and you quickly max out the point potentials.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

rabidsquid posted:

it is actually fairly well easier than it seems, and while that pass is completely impossible to navigate in the early game, if you have the climbing claws and all terrain skeleton on it's really actually not bad at all.

the only problem i had was when i was trying to connect it near the hot spring up there, the game really doesn't like you building stuff too close to it, so i just made the connection at one of the higher peaks to the side.

i wanted to see what was behind the weather station and managed to TURBO BOOST a motorcycle all the way up to the mountain pass. was a nice way to find out it was a path straight to mountain knot.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Party Boat posted:

I think it's possible to link every location in Central with ziplines although you have to plan it carefully to have enough bandwidth. Weather Station to Mountain Knot should be no problem.

can confirm. I had every prepper, distribution center, and city in Central all hooked up to the same network with a few thousand bandwidth to spare. I did have to max almost everyone out to get that bandwidth tho. I passed over the mountains in a few spots since it would have been impractical if i had to follow the same route over every time

totally worth it, its wild goin on a ten minute zipline journey across the entire map and hitting every major city without goin on the same zip twice or ever touching the ground

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

can confirm. I had every prepper, distribution center, and city in Central all hooked up to the same network with a few thousand bandwidth to spare. I did have to max almost everyone out to get that bandwidth tho. I passed over the mountains in a few spots since it would have been impractical if i had to follow the same route over every time

totally worth it, its wild goin on a ten minute zipline journey across the entire map and hitting every major city without goin on the same zip twice or ever touching the ground

by the time you can do this you've basically won the game already and don't need the zipline network any more anyway because you already maxed everyone

not that it stopped me either

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Just finished. Somebody needs to tell hideo Kohima that you are not allowed to continue your game 4 hours after what is hyped as the final boss by adding three more final bosses and two sets of credits with an entire chapter between the credit rolls- went from “oh I’ll finish this and go to bed to” to “well it’s 9am so guess I will play this hopefully last chapter”

The plot and plot delivery start to tumble the last 4-5 chapters. HOWEVER the very very final twist did catch me completely out of the blue, propably BC I stopped reading mail and secondary expositions at my rush.

The drive back to beginning is complete BS tho. At least central you get the benefit from the stuff you’ve built earlier on, but the east part with zillion big BTs is just a giant middle finger to the player.

Was good. Hideo Kojima is more confidently creatively insane I would have been able to even guess.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
you are allowed

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that’s nothing, the real badass games have the bait and switch final boss be barely a third of the way into the game

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If he had Balls he would have put a late title card on the Beach. 80% in.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i respectfully disagree, the ending was great

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cloks posted:

i respectfully disagree, the ending was great

Not an empty quote. You just reunited America via hiking. An ending needs to be at least that long and epic.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I absolutely expected having to cross all the terrain back to the beginning and loved every second of it. :shrug:

The actual ending was also great, though I was constantly expecting to make a choice through gameplay, so I walked around the incinerator for minutes trying to figure out if there was a way to avoid burning Lou

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah I thought that long hike back was really cool and really effective. Also the part where like 6 of the tar lions pop out when you get near the end is :discourse:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The trip back would have been more significant if I didn't do it in like 5 minutes with the ziplines I had built everywhere.

I definitely think the pacing kind of tripped over its own dick and rolled down a hill at the end.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Back when I first played the game I just saved that final chapter for the next day.

And when I loaded that save the song didn’t start playing. I got the onscreen notification that there was supposed to be one, but all I had was sound effects and ambiance. I think it actually was better. Just another quiet walk...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Huh I built barley any zip lines, I figured the structures just went away. Not having those definitely made the trek back feel especially isolating since all the Internet structures I relied on where down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I specifically didn't want to use any vehicles or ziplines so I could enjoy it. Those are fun to optimise out the repeatable quests, but if you use them on what you already know is a special occasion you're just shooting yourself in the foot.