Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Oh and in a post Man of Steel world, there's no reason why Marvel can't choreograph and film exciting fights between two indestructible demi-gods. There was no weight or impact in that fight.

I feel like the execution of that sequence is down to inexperience. Not with Directing - Matt Shakman's been working for like 20 years - but with this type of action. Marvel tends to hire people who don't come from an action background, so most of their homework is just going to be other superhero movies, which keeps things looking samey. Plus there's the previs / second unit element that drove Lucrecia Martel away from Black Widow. Marvel's looking for directors to deal with the actors and story, while the action is basically just an assembly line at this point.

And when the director actually does get involved with the expensive stuff, a lot of the time they either aren't comfortable with the CG process or don't know how to review unfinished work, so there's a communication barrier between the stuff they might like to see and the work that's actually being done that keeps things from being polished to a higher level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, but even, say, The Boys has more interestingly directed action on a lesser budget.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Some people straight up don’t get action beats that well. There’s more too it then just people fighting in a room.

A good action scene has character beats interwoven into the fights, or at least able to tell a story with the action.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Yeah, but even, say, The Boys has more interestingly directed action on a lesser budget.

But that was intended to be an action show from the beginning. This wasn't.

This isn't necessarily a defense of WandaVision. But it's as if (and I know this isn't a perfect metaphor, but go with me) How I Met Your Mother had a fight scene break out at the end of it. I don't care who they brought in to direct it, the production isn't setup for that, because that's not the show they made.

Again, not a defense, because maybe they should have made that show from the beginning. But maybe that would have made the sitcom and surreal parts at the beginning worse. I don't really know. It's hard to do everything well. But I'd rather they focus on doing the other parts well, since the action parts are only ever going to be, you know, action laser fights, no matter how good they are.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's definitely going to be a difference between a single-director show like Wandavision and an episode director show like The Boys (which Matt Shakman also did an episode of, apparently). I haven't seen The Boys, but to use another Disney+ show as an example, the Mandalorian seems to have benefitted from giving the individual episode directors time to prep their show while the earlier episodes were filming. It's possible that a lot of the full CG previs was done on autopilot while Shakman was busy with what he was shooting on that particular day.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

This isn't necessarily a defense of WandaVision. But it's as if (and I know this isn't a perfect metaphor, but go with me) How I Met Your Mother had a fight scene break out at the end of it. I don't care who they brought in to direct it, the production isn't setup for that, because that's not the show they made.

Again, not a defense, because maybe they should have made that show from the beginning. But maybe that would have made the sitcom and surreal parts at the beginning worse. I don't really know. It's hard to do everything well. But I'd rather they focus on doing the other parts well, since the action parts are only ever going to be, you know, action laser fights, no matter how good they are.

Uh oh, now I'm gonna talk about Community's action scenes, haha.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Man, I just want to say that my enthusiasm and interest in WandaVision really did fall off a cliff. Even though I don't have reverence for the material it was spoofing I thought the start was strong and got a whole lot more interesting with the twist and the moral and ethical dilemmas it present but then it fell through the floor when the cackling villainess showed up and all those things it established it brushed aside and used as window dressing for two character shooting magic at each other. "They don't know what you sacrificed for them" you say to the women who trapped an entire town, involuntarily, in an existential nightmare prison.

Show got really hosed and I think the writers at Marvel should just stick to summer junkfood and not raise questions they're not willing to answer. Oh and in a post Man of Steel world, there's no reason why Marvel can't choreograph and film exciting fights between two indestructible demi-gods. There was no weight or impact in that fight.

The chemistry between the leads was good and it did have some nice character moments but I don't think it delivered on the promise from the first half of the show.

I agree with all of this. It was going strong until the last 2 episodes where all the build up and mystery was resolved with a wet fart. I also hate how they kept teasing poo poo that ended in bullshit fake outs.

The love persevering line is a total banger though. I genuinely want to say the whole show was worth it for that one line

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darko posted:

I don't know. We're getting away from the thread's theme. Stick to Frasier action scenes, please.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

thrawn527 posted:

So your defense is... they made a nine episode show not knowing it would end in a big battle.

Everyone posted:

I don't know. We're getting away from the thread's theme. Stick to Frasier action scenes, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

Streets ahead of the MCU.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I can’t believe “streets ahead” became a real phrase after its genesis on community as a joke about Pierce trying to coin a new phrase and everyone telling him to stop.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I can’t believe “streets ahead” became a real phrase after its genesis on community as a joke about Pierce trying to coin a new phrase and everyone telling him to stop.

sounds like someone's streets behind.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dan Harmon is cursed to have things he makes intentionally stupid be the things he's remembered for. Streets Ahead, Annie's Boobs, Pick Rick, Szechuan Sauce.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Streets ahead" is as old as the hills. Maybe Community popularised it in America?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Everyone posted:

Hannibal was a bloody crime drama super up its own rear end and it had an amazing fight as the opener of s02e01 that I still watch from time to time. :colbert:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think it's fair to compare any TV show to Hannibal, really.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Violator posted:

Hannibal was a bloody crime drama super up its own rear end and it had an amazing fight as the opener of s02e01 that I still watch from time to time. :colbert:

The reason that came about is Laurence Fishburne going "You know I have all this Matrix training, right?" and them going "Oh...huh.". Mads base was dance and gymnastics, so highly choreographed physicality is sort of his starting position. That's the thing, you can do scenes like that....but everyone involved needs a specific type of training. Both those men had years of prep to look good doing that.

To do action you need actors that know how to sell it, choreographers that know how to plan it, film crews that know how to shoot it, editors that know how to cut it, on and on down the list. Any weak link in that process and you can be screwed. What it means is you have to know you are doing action, care that you are doing action, and then budget the time and money needed to get it right. If you simply don't care that much about it, well, you cheat and move on with the story. Marvel has been doing it for over a decade.

You can't pretend it isn't working for them. They are unquestionably weak in fight scenes, but it hasn't seemed to matter.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

2house2fly posted:

"Streets ahead" is as old as the hills. Maybe Community popularised it in America?

Yeah, Harmon never claimed to have created it. He worked it into the show after someone blasted him with it on Twitter. He had never heard the phrase before and couldn't get it out of his head. It's happened a few times with him, see also he obsession with 'cum gutters'.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

I don't think it's fair to compare any TV show to Hannibal, really.

It's fair to compare Clarice to Hannibal but only to show your utter contempt for Clarice.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Now you reminded me of how any hope for a Hannibal take on Silence of the Lambs is dead because of that apparently-terrible show, so thanks for that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

wyoming posted:

So your defense is... they made a nine episode show not knowing it would end in a big battle.

I literally said it wasn’t a defense. What the hell? My point, and I thought I was making this clear, is that you could either be a Jack of All Trades and a Master of None, or focus on one or two things and sacrifice some other things. They focused on the sitcom and surreal parts, while not hiring anyone who was good at shooting action scenes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Darko posted:

Surely the Justin Lin episodes had better action than the Russo ones.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mulva posted:

The reason that came about is Laurence Fishburne going "You know I have all this Matrix training, right?" and them going "Oh...huh.". Mads base was dance and gymnastics, so highly choreographed physicality is sort of his starting position. That's the thing, you can do scenes like that....but everyone involved needs a specific type of training. Both those men had years of prep to look good doing that.

To do action you need actors that know how to sell it, choreographers that know how to plan it, film crews that know how to shoot it, editors that know how to cut it, on and on down the list. Any weak link in that process and you can be screwed. What it means is you have to know you are doing action, care that you are doing action, and then budget the time and money needed to get it right. If you simply don't care that much about it, well, you cheat and move on with the story. Marvel has been doing it for over a decade.

You can't pretend it isn't working for them. They are unquestionably weak in fight scenes, but it hasn't seemed to matter.

The worst offender to me is Iron Fist. You have a show about a guy whose power is literally martial arts, and you cast a guy without any sort of training, in martial arts or any other kind of physical activity that could help portraying that role. It's the dumbest decision and I heard nothing good of the show, at all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

The worst offender to me is Iron Fist. You have a show about a guy whose power is literally martial arts, and you cast a guy without any sort of training, in martial arts or any other kind of physical activity that could help portraying that role. It's the dumbest decision and I heard nothing good of the show, at all.

I saw a brief fight in an evidence room or something and it genuinely looked like someone parodying that style of quick cut action.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Even better is that he forgets how to be good at martial arts if he's not in a good mood. he's never in a good mood

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector 34 posted:

Even better is that he forgets how to be good at martial arts if he's not in a good mood. he's never in a good mood

Someone get him some weed

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Inspector 34 posted:

That sounds like an amazing concept, to be honest. The best fighter in human history... but only when he is Sally Hawkins In Happy Go Lucky levels of cheerful.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Inspector 34 posted:

The actor or the character?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

It's genuinely surprising how bad Iron Fist is. I'm still salty about it, because I really liked the other Netflix Marvel shows. Almost every aspect of it fails, from writing to performance to cinematography to editing. It's the second-worst thing Marvel has ever made, after Inhumans which was also Scott Buck.

It's even more frustrating in retrospect, because I quite like a few actors from it. Sacha Dhawan is wonderful on The Great, Jessica Henwick is really charismatic, and Tom Pelphrey is loving PHENOMENAL. Even in Iron Fist you can tell he's way better than the material, and the fact he didn't win an Emmy for Ozark is criminal.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Finn Jones got really screwed over with this. When he was cast he assumed he'd get months of prep, though ended up with three weeks of martial arts training (which was interrupted by rehearsals and costume fittings etc ) and then on set he was given the fight choreography 15 minutes before they started shooting the scenes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

McCloud posted:

I agree with all of this. It was going strong until the last 2 episodes where all the build up and mystery was resolved with a wet fart. I also hate how they kept teasing poo poo that ended in bullshit fake outs.

What did they tease that didn't pay off?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xealot posted:

It's genuinely surprising how bad Iron Fist is. I'm still salty about it, because I really liked the other Netflix Marvel shows. Almost every aspect of it fails, from writing to performance to cinematography to editing. It's the second-worst thing Marvel has ever made, after Inhumans which was also Scott Buck.

It's even more frustrating in retrospect, because I quite like a few actors from it. Sacha Dhawan is wonderful on The Great, Jessica Henwick is really charismatic, and Tom Pelphrey is loving PHENOMENAL. Even in Iron Fist you can tell he's way better than the material, and the fact he didn't win an Emmy for Ozark is criminal.

Defenders is worse than Iron First to the point that Daredevil is somehow worse in it than Iron Fist is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

This is a fair point, but I think a rare exception.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xealot posted:

Luke Cage sort of did it, in S1 anyway. Parts of it were in there, the 13th amendment suggestions of Luke getting railroaded into jail and then forced into modern-day Mandingo Fighting, the Tuskegee Study parallels to the not-voluntary experiment that gave him powers. And there's the central imagery of the show being a bullet-riddled hoodie, flipped into a symbol of power.

It was trying to say things, it just fell really hard into respectability politics as it went. And there's the plot where the councilwoman villain hypes up a crowd in Harlem into supporting the police use of military weapons to hunt a black fugitive. That's pretty unforgivable.

There's a weird Obama non-rapy Cosby tone with that poo poo, castigating black young people for listening to hip hop or whatever. Pretty corny.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mulva posted:

It didn't hurt that Eric Kripke, The Boys showrunner, had 5 years of shooting varied action scenes every episode on Supernatural.

You need experts at it to do it right. So I'm not that harsh on them loving it up on Wandavision.

What I am especially harsh is on the writing itself, which screwed the pooch by the end.

Setting that aside, previs people get a lot of negativity. But for subpar movies, sometimes they're its only saving grace. The only good thing, for example, in Thor 2 was the end fight which looked like it came from a different movie. A much better one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shageletic posted:

There's a weird Obama non-rapy Cosby tone with that poo poo, castigating black young people for listening to hip hop or whatever. Pretty corny.
I still have no idea what Luke's father was trying to give him poo poo about.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some new ad for Falcon and the Winter Soldier had Sebastian Stan describing it as being like an 80's buddy comedy. So I'm assuming in a few weeks we're going to be getting a lot of people saying stuff like "An action series that is also comedic, and where the white guy is the sidekick to the black character? Marvel has done the unimaginable yet again!"

Speaking of Sebastian Stan, I remember there was that brief period in the late 00s/early 10s where he was in Black Swan, Hot Tub Time Machine, the first season of Once Upon a Time, the criminally underrated Kings, Political Animals... it seemed like he was posed to take off and be a major star in his own right. And then he got sucked into Marvel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's sorta just nothing now unfortunately. I couldn't be less enthusiastic about their new series. I'll watch the 1st episode but if it's just Marvel action for 24 minutes with 10 minutes of credits I will just wait till it's done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still say, Wandavision makes more sense in its original context as teasing filler between movies rather than the only thing the MCU has on the plate for over a year or two. We were supposed to be buying tickets to Dr Strange 2 by now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of Sebastian Stan, I remember there was that brief period in the late 00s/early 10s where he was in Black Swan, Hot Tub Time Machine, the first season of Once Upon a Time, the criminally underrated Kings, Political Animals... it seemed like he was posed to take off and be a major star in his own right. And then he got sucked into Marvel.

Nothing else I've seen him in made me think much of him as an actor, but he was outstanding in I, Tonya. Genuinely one of the more impressive portrayals of an abusive partner I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean by the respectability politics. It's a weird, tone-deaf energy that slides its way in, to tell you the problems black people face in Harlem come from not living right these days, and not from widening wealth inequality or patterns of racist law enforcement.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nothing else I've seen him in made me think much of him as an actor, but he was outstanding in I, Tonya. Genuinely one of the more impressive portrayals of an abusive partner I've ever seen.

That movie way toned down how abusive Jeff Gillooly actually was, too. IRL Tonya Harding described some way more nightmarish poo poo happening to her in that relationship. The fact Sebastian Stan still manages to convey some of that menace with less in the actual text is a pretty solid endorsement of his ability to act.

Also, yeah, Kings was woefully underrated. That whole cast was fantastic.