Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Every phone should be required by law to have the moto gestures (twist phone 2x to turn camera on, chop camera 2x to turn on flashlight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I bought a new phone (S21 Ultra) through Verizon's website for the first time, and it gets here today. When I activate it, should I use the included 5g SIM (I'm assuming they're including one with the phone, there's a SIM number in the order anyway), or should I just throw my current 4g SIM into the phone and go? I don't have a 5g plan and won't be anywhere close to a 5g area 99% of the time for the foreseeable future, FWIW.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Soul Glo posted:

I bought a new phone (S21 Ultra) through Verizon's website for the first time, and it gets here today. When I activate it, should I use the included 5g SIM (I'm assuming they're including one with the phone, there's a SIM number in the order anyway), or should I just throw my current 4g SIM into the phone and go? I don't have a 5g plan and won't be anywhere close to a 5g area 99% of the time for the foreseeable future, FWIW.

If you're not doing fuckery with lines, then just power it on and go. It will activate, and I think warn you that the old SIM will stop working.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you're not doing fuckery with lines, then just power it on and go. It will activate, and I think warn you that the old SIM will stop working.

Cool, I figured that would be the way to go, just didn’t know if it mattered as I won’t be using the 5g stuff. Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Cool, I figured that would be the way to go, just didn’t know if it mattered as I won’t be using the 5g stuff. Thanks.

Def use the 5G SIM. All plans get the nationwide 5G, so you want the 5G SIM.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Def use the 5G SIM. All plans get the nationwide 5G, so you want the 5G SIM.

Oh, nice! I had no idea. I work in the sticks and it won’t affect me at all, so I haven’t been paying much attention to it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, if the SIM card doesn't specifically have "5G" on it, it's not a 5G SIM. Won't stop your phone from getting the "not really 5G" 5G, though.

My P5 didn't come with one by default.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have a 6s and an old, grandfathered in limited account. Website has zero deals for me. If I call in and upgrade to an unlimited acct, do you think they’d let me do the “free SE” promo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hawkperson posted:

I have a 6s and an old, grandfathered in limited account. Website has zero deals for me. If I call in and upgrade to an unlimited acct, do you think they’d let me do the “free SE” promo?

You can call and ask. Some accounts have a promo for “iPhone SE for $10 a month.” So not free, but it usually does not have plan requirements.

They likely won’t just match the promo , but hey asking doesn’t hurt.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hey Duckman, I am looking to switch my parents from ATT to Verizon. I saw the cool deal with 12 pros for free with a new port. I had a few questions. 1) what level of unlimited do I need to make that deal work, and 2) the 250 per line that is a gift card seems confusing. Is that like a Visa card? Or a credit they can put towards their bill. Or like a store credit that you would have to buy stuff with? Also if you have a code I can put in online to give you credit, I would be more than happy too.

Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

Hey Duckman, I am looking to switch my parents from ATT to Verizon. I saw the cool deal with 12 pros for free with a new port. I had a few questions. 1) what level of unlimited do I need to make that deal work, and 2) the 250 per line that is a gift card seems confusing. Is that like a Visa card? Or a credit they can put towards their bill. Or like a store credit that you would have to buy stuff with? Also if you have a code I can put in online to give you credit, I would be more than happy too.

Thanks!

Hello !

I’ll double check when I get to the store, but it should just be a premium data plan for both the trade in and gift card. So put them on play more or do more and you’re fine.

To confirm: what phones are they trading in ? Not every phone gets the full trade in. iPhone 8 or newer does.

$250 gift card is a Verizon gift card. Use it to pay your bill.

I’ll send you my referral code.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That’s perfect. Thanks.

I did not even see it needed a trade in. They both have 8s, but my mom has a cracked screen. That will probably gently caress that up a bit.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
When getting a new line, is there anyway to get a new number or is it truly random?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

That’s perfect. Thanks.

I did not even see it needed a trade in. They both have 8s, but my mom has a cracked screen. That will probably gently caress that up a bit.

Yeah, the promo requires the premium plan, I was able to check it.

The trade in is worth repairing the 8, Verizon does not care about the quality of the part, just that it is not cracked. So get it repaired for like, $70–100 at a cheaper mall kiosk and then trade it in.

I PMed you my code.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Shackelford posted:

When getting a new line, is there anyway to get a new number or is it truly random?

It’s mostly random. If you order online, I think it gives you a bunch of random choices ? In store, it gives choices for the area code and prefix, last 4 is random.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Finally got to run a speed test in a 5GUW zone: https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/7011742968

~One of these things is not like the other~

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yup. Download speeds are legit. I've gotten a few hundred Mbps upload from time to time, but it's always much lower (which makes sense).

Still, it's gonna be a long while before 1Gbps on a cell phone makes any meaningful difference in how we use them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

drat, my line speed on cable is 450.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

drat, my line speed on cable is 450.

Sure, but you probably don't have to be outside on a specific street in order to get your 450.

5G UW is great for speeds but amazingly bad for coverage. It's more a novelty right now than anything to take seriously.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, the only 5GUW "zone" in my area is along a main route. More than a block in any direction off of said route and it drops to "5G."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Our 5g doesn't ever work, like I have to go into settings and force LTE to get any actual seevice to work. Is this a common thing with 5g?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

DrDork posted:

Sure, but you probably don't have to be outside on a specific street in order to get your 450.

5G UW is great for speeds but amazingly bad for coverage. It's more a novelty right now than anything to take seriously.

True, it's just more of a wonder at where technology is today. I pay $80/mo for my 450. My phones are $40/mo each.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

Our 5g doesn't ever work, like I have to go into settings and force LTE to get any actual seevice to work. Is this a common thing with 5g?

Are you in an official narionwide 5G area?

5G works for me, but it’s basically 4G or a bit faster 4G in my experience. I don’t have UW on my plan, and I don’t go downtown anyway, so can’t speak to UW (which yeah, struggles because it’s on hi band).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure but our phones say 5g when we supposedly have it. I am in rural new Hampshire so I doubt we actually have it

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Those speeds are depressing me since I get a cool 0.3 down in my area. I finally called and got the marginal coverage area spiel. I am in a suburb of Houston and the service has just gotten slower over the past 10 years. The growth here is insane so I'm guessing they just can't handle the traffic. For the same area T-Mobile is 70 and AT&t is about 10 down. I have a dorky chart where I have been tracking speeds for the different services.

It would just be nice to be able to stream something while walking the dogs but that doesn't seem to be possible with Verizon anymore in my area.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Moved post.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I can't send messages in group chats on my iphone 12. I can see what's being said in them and there are multiple other iphone users in it that aren't having this issue. I don't partake in group chats very often so I don't know if this is a new issue or what. I have MMS and group chat enabled in settings. I've turned all of that stuff off, restarted the phone, and then turned it all back on with no success. I have no idea if it's some weird holdover from switching over from Fi when I got the 12? Is there anything else I should be looking at? The only things I've really been able to google involve the turning it off and on again thing I tried.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

I can't send messages in group chats on my iphone 12. I can see what's being said in them and there are multiple other iphone users in it that aren't having this issue. I don't partake in group chats very often so I don't know if this is a new issue or what. I have MMS and group chat enabled in settings. I've turned all of that stuff off, restarted the phone, and then turned it all back on with no success. I have no idea if it's some weird holdover from switching over from Fi when I got the 12? Is there anything else I should be looking at? The only things I've really been able to google involve the turning it off and on again thing I tried.

Is this all Apple group chats (aka iMessage) or is it a group chat involving android users ?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Is this all Apple group chats (aka iMessage) or is it a group chat involving android users ?

There are definitely Android users involved. I haven't been in an all Apple group chat.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

There are definitely Android users involved. I haven't been in an all Apple group chat.

Unfortunately all I got is call tech support. Maybe swing by a store and swap a SIM card first.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Also worth giving another text app a shot. iMessage is great and all, but sometimes other ones play nicer with non-iMessage chats.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There are no other SMS/MMS apps on iOS. iOS sandboxes SMS/MMS to iMessage. Unless you mean messenger apps more broadly, in which case, good luck!

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

5GUW is legit, seen it popping up around Seattle the last couple months. The upload is horrendous though, assuming they’re capping it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tonic posted:

5GUW is legit, seen it popping up around Seattle the last couple months. The upload is horrendous though, assuming they’re capping it?

Yeah, the upload I think is still relying on 4G.

Curious, How consistently do you see UW ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hello thread:

Long story short, I start a new role in the next 2 weeks. I am now single sales person again.

-Regardless of what it is, post here and I will help

-my number one thing here is getting you what works best for you, so as always, I’m not here to push a bunch of stuff you won’t use, etc.

-I have referral code which do get me paid, so I never require anyone to use them, but they are very much appreciated !!! PM for my referral code.

-I actually now have the ability to call goons directly, both new and existing. I am the sales department, so I can only call for sales. If it is non sales, still post here, and I can still help figure out what the issue is and tell you who to fall.

Again, my policy here is goons are not required to buy from me or take referral codes to get my help, but certainly I will mention it and take as many referrals as I can get. Good karma tends to make it all work out.

OP is in the middle of being updated. Any questions , it’s business as usual, post away.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yay duckman. You rule and tbh verizon rules.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yay duckman. You rule and tbh verizon rules.

Lol thank you sir. New job is basically transitioning to the call center, but it’s sales only, 100% work at home, and it should be a raise, so pretty exciting stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question actually. Is it possible to use several gift cards to pay a bill online or do I have to call verizon to do it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quick question actually. Is it possible to use several gift cards to pay a bill online or do I have to call verizon to do it

Try this

-go to app, hit the question mark, and tell the bot “pay bill.” It should prompt you through the options of paying bill and then you should be able to select payment option then gift card.

There should be an easier bill pay option on the desktop sign in, so try that too.

Customer care, last I checked, charges $7 for a bill pay now, which yeah it sucks. A Corp store will not charge for a bill pay, so worst case stop by a d do that quick.

I assume you’re doing the autopay discount. The gift card of course will not double charge you, but sometimes making a manual bill pay drops the autopay discount for the next month. Check next months bill, and if it does , call care and explain you were just using your switcher gift cards one time, and ask them to credit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet thanks duckman. I don't have autopay on so that's not a big deal, although I should do that lol.