Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We replaced Cobra from Gi Joe with Cobra from Space Adventure Cobra lets see if anyone notices the difference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Weed got legalized in Mexico today.

This is great. Welcome to the cool kids club Mexico.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
my birthday is loving cursed. it's the same day as the Fukushima disaster, and the same day when COVID-19 was declared a pandemic

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1370201159760191490

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

my birthday is loving cursed. it's the same day as the Fukushima disaster, and the same day when COVID-19 was declared a pandemic
happy anniversary of existence! :toot:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Thank you

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Having a hard time picking a favourite between Eriko, Yukari and Kaori in PriConne.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's grea, she's the best

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Apparently there will be a Re:Zero collab at some point in the future. Someone tell Grouchio so he can start saving up now.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Willo567 posted:

Get on my level; 98% of my birthdays have NEVER landed on a day off or weekend, whether for school or work. :emo:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Punk demon girl looks cool.

I disagree with her though. All the music.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Apparently there will be a Re:Zero collab at some point in the future. Someone tell Grouchio so he can start saving up now.
I don't play gacha on principle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

Punk demon girl looks cool.

I disagree with her though. All the music.

she's the only character in danganronpa 2 i liked

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was gifted the Danganronpa series a year or 2 ago and havnt touched it yet. Not a big fan of death game stuff in general, but the art for the series looks great.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

I don't play gacha on principle.

Youre missing out. F/GO is honestly pretty simple yet fun and has some really good writing, though some of the game relies heavily on you or your friends having certain characters to cheese stupid mechanics. So far PriConne is similar in that I can casually pick it up every now and then and have fun with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

I was gifted the Danganronpa series a year or 2 ago and havnt touched it yet. Not a big fan of death game stuff in general, but the art for the series looks great.

the first game is decent. danganronpa 2 has some cool ideas and its story is almost sort of interesting but it makes some really clumsy decisions that kinda destroyed any impact it was going for for me and basically meant only like three characters get much of an arc

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Youre missing out. F/GO is honestly pretty simple yet fun and has some really good writing, though some of the game relies heavily on you or your friends having certain characters to cheese stupid mechanics. So far PriConne is similar in that I can casually pick it up every now and then and have fun with it.
Neat. How many hundreds or thousands of dollars have you thrown at the game?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dude, guy was just telling you he likes video game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

did you know, that you can play gachas for free and still enjoy them? something to think about

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Neat. How many hundreds or thousands of dollars have you thrown at the game?

Unlike you, most people have impulse control and can choose to not spend exorbitant amounts of money on Gacha games that they play.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can just get the fgo story content in videos on youtube

the gameplay can be fun in parts but a lot of it is on the tedious side, and the amount gameplay and story actually integrate varies wildly.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

Unlike you, most people have impulse control and can choose to not spend exorbitant amounts of money on Gacha games that they play.
How dare you Julias. I don't play gacha because I in fact have tight impulse control over my spending. I never got into that or MMOs so that I could 1) have a life and not turn into a gacha whale, 2) walk away from college debt free. The great recession made me a tightwad. Now I'm raking it in working from home.

dogsicle posted:

you can just get the fgo story content in videos on youtube
the gameplay can be fun in parts but a lot of it is on the tedious side, and the amount gameplay and story actually integrate varies wildly.
Yeah I just do that. (I wish the mana transfer stuff was canon)

The Colonel posted:

dude, guy was just telling you he likes video game
No problems there

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 12, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

dude, gacha exists to manipulate people's brains and actively mind-torture them into spending tons of money. its not about impulse control its just about if the psyop works or not. lol

like grouchio was being a dick to some guy who was like 'i like fgo' but lmao at this post

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guy: i choose not to smoke crack because i dont want to become a drug addict
julias: unlike you, MOST people have impulse control and can choose not to spend exorbitant amounts of money on crack

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 12, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

dude, gacha exists to manipulate people's brains and actively mind-torture them into spending tons of money. its not about impulse control its just about if the psyop works or not. lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gachas, much like loot boxes and other types of gambling that are lowkey targeted at kids and dumb teenagers, should be illegal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like a lot of gacha games and i think it opens up a lot of avenues of character and story writing that wouldnt really be a priority without it, like idolmaster shiny colors is a masterpiece in every way, but also, yea

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gacha is bad but also epic. Simple coin theory in action.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

im trademarking simpcoin

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
ngl, it's hard to resist the tasty-looking bait of gacha when you feel it's a "gently caress! So close! Only one more!" sorta deal. Having actually done the entire spectrum of SDT for mobages, though? It's really loving hard to not realize how messed-up that whole dealio is. And this is why I normally just lurk on threads/discord channels of gacha games I play (mostly FEH and F/GO).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

like grouchio was being a dick to some guy who was like 'i like fgo' but lmao at this post

Yeah, I didn't mean to downplay the predatory nature of gatcha or to belittle people with genuine gambling addictions, that was lovely thing for me to do just to get a tepid own in on Grouchio. I apologize for doing that.

Julias fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 12, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Wark Say posted:

ngl, it's hard to resist the tasty-looking bait of gacha when you feel it's a "gently caress! So close! Only one more!" sorta deal.

there are literal teams of professionals whose job is to design more addicting systems.
waifus are designed to be as desirable as possible (yes, those S tier anime titties and butts are no accident), effects and animations on the drawing minmaxed for excitement, etc
i feel very strongly about this stuff and it kinda saddens me that it's so widespread/accepted. it's almost predatory :(

e: then again that goes for a lot of other stuff as well. yay, capitalism

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Does anybody want to get in on my pyramid scheme

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
if the buy-in currency for gachas was spoilers, then grouchio would need to watch out

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Dangerous Person posted:

Does anybody want to get in on my pyramid scheme

if by 'pyramid scheme' you mean 'build a pyramid out of crypro-miners, then blow it up' then sign me up

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

guy: i choose not to smoke crack because i dont want to become a drug addict
julias: unlike you, MOST people have impulse control and can choose not to spend exorbitant amounts of money on crack

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, someone posted about the Danganronpa 2 girl and I found this

https://twitter.com/renshu_usodayo/status/1368857541019643905?s=20

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

waifus are designed to be as desirable as possible (yes, those S tier anime titties and butts are no accident), effects and animations on the drawing minmaxed for excitement, etc
tbf while this is somewhat true most gacha games cast a pretty wide bar and wind up with characters who are surprisingly popular, or shift focus over time

like granblue has a 70/30 female/male playerbase almost entirely because a random one-off villain that was never meant to be playable got so popular that they felt the need to expand on him and that led to them adding more hot angel boys like him which led to the current dynamic

not that this undercuts any of the predatory nature of gacha just interesting context