Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

I had concerns.

I recently rewatched Conan The Barbarian so I had Cromcerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

therattle posted:

Speak for yourself. I lost several nights of sleep and it nearly cost me my marriage.

I hope things are better now. It's been a long week.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Read this entire thread to instantly die

https://twitter.com/Most/status/1370102270981902336?s=20

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Or you can choose not to read it!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Grendels Dad posted:

I recently rewatched Conan The Barbarian so I had Cromcerns.

To lust after your bunnies, see them redrawn before you, and hear the lamentation of the furries!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

But the most important rule, the rule you can never forget: no matter how much they cry, no matter how much they beg, never feed your gaydar operators MDMA and catnip after midnight.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Not lesbian pizza:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Am I wrong in saying this tries so hard to be woke it wraps back around to offensive?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Reads to me like a modest attempt at tongue in cheek absurd humor?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Am I wrong in saying this tries so hard to be woke it wraps back around to offensive?

It's pretty much a South Park gag.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

People are taking the lesbian tweet seriously enough for them to pull it? I thought it was some B- Clickhole-esque goofs that were being silly and fun.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tweets gone what was it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope things are better now. It's been a long week.

It really has and I’ve had a really nasty agent to deal with.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Tweets gone what was it?

One of Netflix's twitter accounts posted a thread of notable movie props, like the diamond studded Furby from Uncut Gems, "reclaiming them as lesbian". Probably tongue in cheek, but obnoxious regardless.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
At least it wasn't N-Word Party this time.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

From now until Monday Letterboxd and NEON have partnered to make available the 2021 Awards Bundle; for the cost of the average movie theater experience ($20), you get to rent 6 shortlisted-for-Oscars international and/or documentary films https://watch.neonrated.com/bundle/2021-awards-bundle/

Dear Comrades! is about the Novocherkassk massacre in 1962; during a strike by the industrial workers of the town in protest of food prices being raised along with production quotas being increased, a mass unarmed protest at the city center ends in a slaughter, witnessed by a devout communist party activist

Gunda is a silent black-and-white film following a mother pig, a flock of chickens and a herd of cows. Executive produced by Joaquin Phoenix, Paul Thomas Anderson said of Gunda "it’s what we should all aspire to as filmmakers and audiences: pictures and sound put together to tell a powerful and profound story without rush"

Night of the Kings depicts a young man sent to La Maca, a prison in the Ivory Coast ruled by the inmates. The new arrival, per tradition with the rising of the red moon, is dubbed the new Roman, and thus forced (by king Blackbeard) to tell a story to the population that lasts till dawn

Notturno follows everyday life of citizens of war zones trying to start over. Filmed over three years between Syria, Iraq, Kurdistan and Lebanon. (Sidenote, I believe there's a postcredits Q&A with the director attached to the rental of this, moderated by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, the director of Birdman)

The Painter and the Thief is about Czech artist Barbora Kysilkova, who had two of her paintings stolen by Karl Bertil-Nordland; they end up becoming good friends

Quo Vadis, Aida? is about UN translator Aida, who tries to save her family after the Bosnian Serb Army takes over their city in 1995 before the Srebenica genocide

After purchasing you have a month to watch all six, and you have three days to fully watch a film once you hit play on that particular film

Segue
May 23, 2007

Oh cool! I actually saw a couple of those at TIFF last year. If anyone wants to check some out individually they're on TIFF's rental service too.

Notturno is by the same director as Fire at Sea and just like the latter is a really beautiful, meditative documentary. Highly recommend.

Night of Kings is sort of all over the place but never dull and has some great scenes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watched The Scorpion King last night and it's my new go-to for when I have to explain how something can be so bad that it wraps around to being good.

I love that they say "exact details are under wraps" as if that synopsis doesn't already tell you everything you need to know.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Got me some Pfizer juice just now.

Perks of being a mod

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Hey, where's my shot? :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1370782458870960138
I love James Cameron's Avatar, but is it cynical to think Disney deliberately re-released the film in China to take the #1 global box office spot back as a primer for the eventual Avatar 2 marketing blitz? "Experience the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time by visionary director James Cameron" seems like a line that'd make studio execs go :gizz:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1370782458870960138
I love James Cameron's Avatar, but is it cynical to think Disney deliberately re-released the film in China to take the #1 global box office spot back as a primer for the eventual Avatar 2 marketing blitz? "Experience the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time by visionary director James Cameron" seems like a line that'd make studio execs go :gizz:

Never, ever think you can over estimate how loving cynical Disney is. I wouldn't put it past them to have bought out a couple theaters while doing this too.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aren’t China’s box office figures really suspect, anyway?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think they re-released it in china because it was really loving popular in china and they knew they could make a couple extra million and also to remind people that avatar 2 could hypothetically come out next year. I don't necessarily think it was about trying to take the "highest grossing" prize back from their biggest franchise in the US, and I think they probably would have done it even if avatar never lost that spot or if Endgame was so far ahead this wouldn't have changed anything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't necessarily think it was about trying to take the "highest grossing" prize back from their biggest franchise in the US, and I think they probably would have done it even if avatar never lost that spot or if Endgame was so far ahead this wouldn't have changed anything.

I dunno, Disney's/Marvel's self-back-patting/congratulating on social media makes it kind of obvious, lol:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1370777527237578755

https://twitter.com/JimCameron/status/1370779946356903941

https://twitter.com/Russo_Brothers/status/1370790032114479104

https://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1370779683088822276

There's nothing stopping them from re-releasing Endgame eventually to reclaim the top spot and then marketing the next big MCU crossover film as part of the highest grossing franchise in box office history.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah but who wants to watch Endgame again?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eventually the only two movies you'll be able to see at theaters will be an Avengers sequel or an Avatar sequel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eventually the only two movies you'll be able to see at theaters will be an Avengers sequel or an Avatar sequel.

Nonsense.

There may also be prequels, remakes and reboots.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

C-Euro posted:

Watched The Scorpion King last night and it's my new go-to for when I have to explain how something can be so bad that it wraps around to being good.

I love that they say "exact details are under wraps" as if that synopsis doesn't already tell you everything you need to know.

I hope this is a straight up Snakes on a Plane kind of deal where there are no pretentions the the movie being anything else but what the title says and they lean completely into it. I know people forgot about Snakes on a Plane and it's considered uncool or something but it was genuinely one of the best movie theater experiences I've ever had. The crowd was really into it, people were cheering and laughing, and someone brought a big inflatable snake people were tossing around. This wasn't some kind of audience participation thing or whatever. It was just a regular showing of the movie at a multiplex and everyone silently agreed that's what it was going to be like before anyone showed up. Also my friend and I went to the movie dressed as airline pilots. After the movie a bunch of guys who were clearly baked out of their minds applauded us in the lobby. It was a weird crazy experience and I don't think that's something that will come around again.

And it will be mandatory.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1370822071077367808?s=20

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
With streaming being the future of cinema and movies and not everyone collecting all the balkanized channels...is that a bad thing because not everyone can share and discuss experiences since they may not have access to it?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gatts posted:

With streaming being the future of cinema and movies and not everyone collecting all the balkanized channels...is that a bad thing because not everyone can share and discuss experiences since they may not have access to it?

By the year 2040, tv shows and movies will not be created to be watched, but to be used for gatekeeping by the upper middle class. E.g. you'll be considered a "poor fit" for the associate web dev position if you don't list subscriptions to at least two mainstream streaming services on your resume. If you don't mention the latest avengers sequel remake miniseries event regularly at the water cooler, you'll be reported to hr

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Klowner posted:

By the year 2040, tv shows and movies will not be created to be watched, but to be used for gatekeeping by the upper middle class. E.g. you'll be considered a "poor fit" for the associate web dev position if you don't list subscriptions to at least two mainstream streaming services on your resume. If you don't mention the latest avengers sequel remake miniseries event regularly at the water cooler, you'll be reported to hr

Lol indeed

Also Boss Level is good. The time loop genre makes some good fun movies. Grillo rocks. Do watch.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Klowner posted:

By 2040 no one will give a poo poo about tv shows and movies because they'll be stabbing each other to death for that water cooler.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

By 2040 no one will give a poo poo about tv shows and movies because they'll be stabbing each other to death for that water cooler.

you might be stabbing people for water. I will be getting plenty of delicious water from Mindful Water, the leading water subscription service. And I got half off my first month with promo code PodSaveAmericaTheShowOnNetflix+

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
You’re both suckers! I’ll be drinking my own urine.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

therattle posted:

You’re both suckers! I’ll be drinking my own urine.

I await the Yeet Generations sustainable craft recycled urine drink lines.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gatts posted:

I await the Yeet Generations sustainable craft recycled urine drink lines.

Recycled urine flavourings. “Tired of the taste of your own urine? Try our range of exciting new flavourings! Change your wee into wheee!!”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

New Yorkers Shut Up About Life In New York For Five loving Minutes Challenge

https://twitter.com/jeanlucpeakhard/status/1370604239647477760?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gatts posted:

It'll be like when cable was introduced and not everyone had cable nor the same lineup.