Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really love dq4 until chapter 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chapter 5: Peace

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does DQ as a series have the most playable fat old guys of any RPG?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Well there's a Square sale on the eShop and Saga Scarlet Grace is $15. The patient gamer stays winning

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Well there's a Square sale on the eShop and Saga Scarlet Grace is $15. The patient gamer stays winning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

win

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell yeah. Anything else good in there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

been waiting for that

haven't played a new SaGa game in years, time to jump in

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Hell yeah. Anything else good in there

Pretty much everything is on sale, all the FF games, those DQ1-3 ports, Trials of Mana remake, Romancing Saga 2/3

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

going to pick up FFIX and beat it this time

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

herculon posted:

going to pick up FFIX and beat it this time

check out the moguri mod on pc it’s excellent

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I love Dragon Quest 3 so much

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Whipped the hard mode thief and berserker bosses in bravely 2 on my first try. Good time to be a jrpg gamer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baramos is kicking my rear end, and on a really good attempt I fat fingered a menu and accidentally cast Bounce on my Sage and couldn't heal her anymore. Epic poo poo , about to do a calm freakout and tuck my switch under my socks

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

dragon quest giving you yes/no options to statements and questions where neither answer makes sense ftw

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i'm gonna get DQ 1-3 on the sale. only played 1 slightly before. im also considering star ocean. looking at the original snes version i'd much prefer that visual style so i'm hesitant.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

be warned the switch versions of 1-3 are phone versions that are insanely ugly. i played a translation romhack of 3 on snes lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Doing the Royale dungeon in P5 now...finally...gotta finish this 140 hour pile. Settled on the original 3 party members as my team because theyre just Better than everyone else. Ann and Ryuji have sick abilities that make them double their attacks on the next turn and Morgana heals and has a Will seed ring that gives charge to Joker. Just using God Hand every turn for thousands of damage until the bosses fall down. Let's Do This! :dance: :blastu:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3 is the SNES version, or maybe it's a port of the phone version that was a port of the SNES version. They look quite nice except the fonts are too high res and look out of place

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the final part of 3 is pretty epic right after playing 1 and 2. DQ owns.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

It's such a badass reveal

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I love the twist but the pre Baramos part of the game is better IMO. zomas castle is epic though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

almost to the end of chapter 2 in bravely default 2 and man...this game kicks serious rear end. every part of the mechanics is thought through and handcrafted and it all works super loving well. every time i get a new job i go into the sherlock mind palace and think about how every passive slots into every other job that i've unlocked and it seems like theres a bazillion ways to build everyone. seriously impressively well-made game. 77 on metacritic

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fungah! posted:

almost to the end of chapter 2 in bravely default 2 and man...this game kicks serious rear end. every part of the mechanics is thought through and handcrafted and it all works super loving well. every time i get a new job i go into the sherlock mind palace and think about how every passive slots into every other job that i've unlocked and it seems like theres a bazillion ways to build everyone. seriously impressively well-made game. 77 on metacritic

Submission for goomba stomp: unlocking a new job in BD2

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I don’t know if I like it as much as Octopath yet but I only just finished chapter 1 so maybe it will change when I unlock more jobs. My current poo poo is berserker Gloria whipping around dual axes with drain attack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I love the twist but the pre Baramos part of the game is better IMO. zomas castle is epic though

it's kind of too short and doesn't have much drama bc everything is just a few feet away and all the important relics are too easy to find, so it's weird that all the other heroes failed in their attempts. But I'm looking forward to the final battle anyway. been using the same team for the most part since the beginning except for upgrading the priest to a sage

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

it's kind of too short and doesn't have much drama bc everything is just a few feet away and all the important relics are too easy to find, so it's weird that all the other heroes failed in their attempts. But I'm looking forward to the final battle anyway. been using the same team for the most part since the beginning except for upgrading the priest to a sage

it's probably better in the SNES version, but it also gets super grindey in the original iirc. the prices on weapons skyrocket and they expect you to be like level 40 or something before finally taking on zoma. i do like a lot of the dungeons, though. the tower with all the arrows was cool. my favorite thing about DQ3 is that the overworld is just a map of earth, i wish other RPGs had done that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i know the switch version doesnt have pachisi (wtf...), does it have the zenithia stuff and monster medals?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah! posted:

77 on metacritic

critics are in an eternal territory war over harvesting hateclicks, who gives a poo poo.

with jrpgs it's always the same tired crap too like "it doesn't reinvent the wheel :(" lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

critics are in an eternal territory war over harvesting hateclicks, who gives a poo poo.

with jrpgs it's always the same tired crap too like "it doesn't reinvent the wheel :(" lmao

lowest review on metacritic:

There’s no discernable creativity, flair, or ingenuity in any part of it. It doesn’t want to either reinvent the wheel or even add a lick of polish to it. It is a game which exists and functions as it was meant to; a JRPG as by-the-numbers as they come,

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and yeah agreed. this one frustrates me though bcause the games really good and a lot of people base their decisions off metacritic score even though games journos are straight up retarded. i just want to see them keep making these games, they're loving killer

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

lowest review on metacritic:

There’s no discernable creativity, flair, or ingenuity in any part of it. It doesn’t want to either reinvent the wheel or even add a lick of polish to it. It is a game which exists and functions as it was meant to; a JRPG as by-the-numbers as they come,

lol. i remember every early review of DQ11 was like "this is 100 hours of dragon quest. It doesn't do anything new, it's just Dragon quest, for 100 hours!!!" and half of them followed that up with "five stars."

the "Do we really NEED another video game??!?" clickbait review trend is the wrost

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

im pretty sure the screen scrolls at 30fps in dq3 on the switch, or at least something isnt right about it. the snes one is a lot better, even the game boy color one is better

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if the switch version doesn't have pachisi i'm definitely not going to bother.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

It's like, ya, i actually want more of Dragon Quest. thanks. If they release DQ11.1 and you play as some random person and their band of friends in the same world with the same care n love that was put into the original; I'd buy that poo poo on release day and be happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drat I should play DQ3