Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I appreciate all the thoughts folks, we're doing OK. Brother and sister are with my mom (600K from here) but if we don't go up soon I'm thinking we'll have her for easter. She'll be vaccinated, first dose at least, by then and she'll be more comfortable traveling.

You're a goof group.

e: Good, but the original typo is appropriate too so I'm keeping it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sorry to hear about the cancer situations guys. I lost my dad 2 months after initial diagnosis to two different types of liver cancer (wtf, he didn't even drink or do anything fun) in 2014 and know the continuous mourning issue as the progress declines.

It definitely feels almost like you've already done it a few times by the time it actually happens and then you end up feeling guilty you didn't feel "worse" when the time comes because you've already done it in 20% increments - it's normal so don't let yourself drag you down further by feeling guilty on top of the grieving.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Just adding, I’m sorry too. That’s awful.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

Computer speaker chat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...T&ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are on sale and they're supposed to be really good if anyone is still looking.

Those are specifically the ones I talked about getting "Walmarted" on quality. Walmart sold them for a bit, just recently discontinued them. Supposedly they USED to be decent for the price, but they've gone downhill over the past few years. Lots of the more recent reviews saying they're not the THX certified versions anymore as well; one reviewer went so far as to take apart the amplifier on the older and newer versions and compare them side by side, and the quality is definitely a lot lower now - it looks like they went to a class D amp. I fully expect that in cheap stuff, or in a sub-only amp (class D pumps out plenty of power for its size, though it's not great for high frequencies), but not for something with "Klipsch" on it.

"Klipsch" and "$90" do not go together in general. I'm sure they're still decent, but if I'm paying for something with the Klipsch logo on it, I want actual Klipsch.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 12, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

For the first time since August 2019, I've got a finished basement (at least this section, I still need to put flooring in the new workout room).

It's been so long, but now there's real progress. I repaired the cabinet where the fuckoff contractor gouged it, and yes, I still need to make the left speaker grille.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Looks really nice.

Now mount a tv on that wall that plays a live camera feed of the outside.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah that looks great man.

What are you doing for floor in your workout room? I have a bedroom converted into a workout room and I need to do something with the carpet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

For the first time since August 2019, I've got a finished basement (at least this section, I still need to put flooring in the new workout room).

It's been so long, but now there's real progress. I repaired the cabinet where the fuckoff contractor gouged it, and yes, I still need to make the left speaker grille.

Man, that's sweet. My basement is now combined office/crafts/storage, and it's packed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks so good. We were going to go with white walls but the blue we picked out just looks so good with the gray laminate. One of these days I'll finish my setup down here.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Yeah that looks great man.

What are you doing for floor in your workout room? I have a bedroom converted into a workout room and I need to do something with the carpet.

Thanks.

I've got another part of the basement where the workout equipment is now. When I set that up, I put down some rubber tack mats that I got from a farm supply place: https://www.cashmans.com/product/diamond-plate-patterned-mats-4-x-6-x-34/

They are heavy as hell and you simply cannot hurt them.

But the new room is larger and I don't want to be in this house forever, so I'm going to put down an engineered hardwood floor over 1/4" cork. Then, I'll cut the existing rubber mats to fit the footprint of the equipment in the new room. I think that'll be a good compromise and allow it to be a general purpose room when we go to sell.

And I highly recommend full-on horse stall mats for gym equipment.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 12, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

And I highly recommend full-on horse stall mats for gym equipment.

They're the same as what gym companies sell except gym companies sell them for like 4x as much. Crazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, that's exactly what I need for our home gym. And it's a half day trip to just pick them up rather than pay freight.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I loving love built-ins

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’ve been thinking about buying a squat rack myself and throwing some mats down in a corner of the basement so I can start attempting to not verge on doughy anymore. They’re kinda expensive though, so who knows if I will.

Just want to add that you’re all a really awesome group of people from many different walks of life, so keep on being you AI.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Horse mats are great for home gym. An additional option is build a plywood lifting platform similar to this https://homegymbuild.com/diy-deadlift-platform/ Built one years ago and it held up great, you can do it with or without the mats.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I loving love built-ins

I built those built ins. :flex:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I built those built ins. :flex:

:fap:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picked this up today as a B Day present for myself :v:

It's a Haro Master, retro Dennis McCoy model from the 80's but in 26" instead of 20".

I don't know if anyone here (the old guys) remembers the Haro Teams or was into BMX at all, but when I was a kid in the 80's they came to town, Dennis McCoy and Matt "The Condor" Hoffman were on that team and they completely blew me away with the huge airs they were getting off of a quarter pipe and I was a fan for life.

I've already took a few little jumps on it and it feels just like the 20" bikes I rode when I was a kid, these "Big BMX" bikes are all the rage now and they are awesome :)

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've already took a few little jumps on it and it feels just like the 20" bikes I rode when I was a kid, these "Big BMX" bikes are all the rage now and they are awesome :)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Someone I did not really like very much left the company I work for about a year ago. He had something go sideways in his life and while leaving his new job, he recommended me as his replacement. Now I have an interview coming up for what sounds like a modest step up from where I'm at with a better boss. I had a lot of issues with him and would report to our boss on a regular basis with pictures of poor quality work on his part, but now I feel like an rear end for being so hard on him because I kinda needed this opportunity to get out of a poo poo job and I'm grateful he thought of me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Hell yeah dude, I also remember those guys and rocked a Haro in the 80's as a result of seeing a local show (not those dudes specifically, but the riders that day were sponsored by Haro).... This isn't mine but is exactly the same colorset I had.

Really wish I'd never sold that thing. I got $100!!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

T-Square posted:

Just want to add that you’re all a really awesome group of people from many different walks of life, so keep on being you AI.

Very this, AI is the best place.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Fermented Tinal posted:

Someone I did not really like very much left the company I work for about a year ago. He had something go sideways in his life and while leaving his new job, he recommended me as his replacement. Now I have an interview coming up for what sounds like a modest step up from where I'm at with a better boss. I had a lot of issues with him and would report to our boss on a regular basis with pictures of poor quality work on his part, but now I feel like an rear end for being so hard on him because I kinda needed this opportunity to get out of a poo poo job and I'm grateful he thought of me.

Sounds like your issue was with his work habits rather than him as a human. Sometimes it’s hard to seperate the two things. Some of the nicest people I’ve known have been the worst workers I’ve ever worked with.

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. I’m guessing you reported his poor quality work because it was poor quality rather than any sort of spite.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slothrop posted:

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. I’m guessing you reported his poor quality work because it was poor quality rather than any sort of spite.

At the company I work for we still come across his poor workmanship on repair calls, but I tried to treat him decently on a coworker level when he was here.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hell yeah dude, I also remember those guys and rocked a Haro in the 80's as a result of seeing a local show (not those dudes specifically, but the riders that day were sponsored by Haro).... This isn't mine but is exactly the same colorset I had.

That thing is rad as hell. Did your bike have skyway wheels? I think that is who makes those 5 spoke bike wheels.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't know if anyone here (the old guys) remembers the Haro Teams or was into BMX at all,

I dunno, I guess I kinda was in to BMX...

I started with a generic Kent bike from Toys 'R' Us and hand built this by breaking parts and working poo poo jobs to buy new ones. Let's see what I can remember...

Redline frame
Tange aero forks (oval tube)
CW handlebars
AME grips with 5 sets of donuts to keep my hands spaced out wide
Tuf neck stem with hollow bolt
Skyway Tuff wheel II's
Dia compe brakes
Viscount aero seat
Takagi crank - the first part I bought and never bent again.
Suntour bear trap pedals
Tioga lay back seat post and clamp
Suntour sprocket
Generic fork pegs

Later I traded this frame and $40 to a kid desperate for weed and got his SE Quadangle, which was my dream frame. I wish wish wish I still had that bike, I sold it around 1994. I hadn't ridden for years and figured I was done. I was wrong.

Your bike looks great and I'm jealous. I may have to get in to a 26" myself. They still sell a large version of the quadangle....

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Turning 44 this week, and finally the car I picked to hopefully keep arrived. It exceeds every expectation. I think? I currently own 15-16 other JDM vehicles at the moment but I am keeping this one. 1995 Toyota Crown Majesta, 2JZ-GE VVT-i, 29k miles, absolutely mint. It’s big, comfortable and loaded with tech that was way before its time. (Yes there is a v8 badge on the back, almost every Majesta seems to have it added in Japan, it will be removed).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Huh, they made a more luxury GS? Mad. Interior shots please, what's the rear like?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

everdave posted:

Turning 44 this week, and finally the car I picked to hopefully keep arrived. It exceeds every expectation. I think? I currently own 15-16 other JDM vehicles at the moment but I am keeping this one. 1995 Toyota Crown Majesta, 2JZ-GE VVT-i, 29k miles, absolutely mint. It’s big, comfortable and loaded with tech that was way before its time. (Yes there is a v8 badge on the back, almost every Majesta seems to have it added in Japan, it will be removed).

That's a beaut. I miss comfortable low cars like that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Holy poo poo, if you still had that it would be worth probably $1500 now.

Just like all the old things we should have kept huh. Shoulda kept that 69 Charger instead of selling it for 800 bucks! :v:

LloydDobler posted:

I dunno, I guess I kinda was in to BMX...

Your bike looks great and I'm jealous. I may have to get in to a 26" myself. They still sell a large version of the quadangle....

Awesome pic I love it.

You really should go to your local bike shop and ride one, check the SE website, Haro and GT have new retro models coming out too plus new models.

https://www.sebikes.com/collections/retro-series
https://harobikes.com/collections/legends
https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/bikes/bmx/heritage
https://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/big-bikes.html

The quadangle is amazing, SE came out with a Stu Thompsen model not long ago on a limited run, a buddy of mine got one for $800 and now they are selling on ebay for over $2k the Big BMX market is getting crazy. I'm actually really lucky I got mine it was the last one that was on hold off a fraudulent credit card order and i just happened to be there when they put it back on the floor.

They go from 24", 26", 27.5" and 29". I will say that the 29" is too big tho and kind of loses the BMX feel. 26" is as big as you wanna go imo unless you just want a big cruiser.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's like the LS and a Deville had a baby. That motor is begging for turbocharging.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Huh, they made a more luxury GS? Mad. Interior shots please, what's the rear like?

The Majesta is actually its own separate chassis, the flagship for Toyota (besides the handmade Century). Way bigger than a GS. Rear legroom is crazy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

It's like the LS and a Deville had a baby.
Literally exactly what I was thinking.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BMX chat I had a number of different Dyno/GT/Mongoose bikes back in the day. I still have a Redline frame I rebuilt with all new parts up at my parents.
I also got this at a thrift store a couple of years ago

Also I have this

:whatup:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Murray Walker dead at 97. The voice of F1 for a generation.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
ahh BigMX bikes are really incredible - The Haro is pretty super rad.

and yes, they really nailed the feelings of riding a 20" for full sized adults. I feel like I can ride my SE for seemingly ever without feeling uncomfortable.

As I said in this or last months chat thread, I bought this when I was working in a smaller city within LA to cruise to lunch - A few weeks in to it, I really became enamored with it and decided to sell my modern mountain bike and all other extraneous bikes that I used as riders

I sold this one too which was kind of a restomod custom of a '39 Mercury frame

for reference this is what it looked like stock

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I don't know if I posted this yet but I got it last year or something from my step mom. Someone was throwing it away and I'm so glad she saved it. I had this bike or something extremely similar for my first bike and it's in great condition. Not sure what I want to do with it yet. Classic Huffy Rawhide

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Whatever you do you gotta leave the dealie-bobs on the spokes.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Man I can hear the noise those spoke charms make in my head just by looking at the photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I thought about taking them off when I first got it but no way. It made the sound when I rolled it back after the pic, hah