Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Blood Starved Beast annoys me greatly. That phase 3 poison fucks me sideways, since it leaves no option but to back off and antidote, but you *can't* antidote because she never lets off the attack.

Buy Gascoigne's armor from the insight vendor, it has a shitload of poison resist. Also always dodge to the left and BSB's attacks will sail harmlessly over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In fact if you simply walk slowly to the left you needn't even dodge for the whole fight

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also I found you could get a brief window to antidote/heal by putting a column between three two of you.

On stat chat, what's the point I should start leveling damage stats? I've got 30 vitality and 25 endurance. Also would like some recommendations for skill weapons if I somehow ever get sick of the threaded cane

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

crepeface posted:

yeah I did a bloodtinge build and it was pretty boring unless your goal is to do weird ymfah style poo poo like parry a guy with the reiterpallasch and nail someone with a bone marrow ash cannon to the face

Reiterpallach is the dork BLT weapon for nerds who’d like a break from playing with their model train kits. Chikage/Evelyn 99 BLT is one of the most fun builds in the game.

BLT isn’t really a “dump” stat anymore than Str is a dump stat. Every single build is viable.

My personal philosophy is that Vit is the true dump stat in the game and that every build benefits from max green bar. On my last 4-5 Bloodborne characters I think I’ve leveled Vitality maybe once. It just makes more sense to git gud and take less damage than to train myself to make more mistakes by having a larger health bar

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The best time to level a damage stat is always.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DeathChicken posted:

Blood Starved Beast annoys me greatly. That phase 3 poison fucks me sideways, since it leaves no option but to back off and antidote, but you *can't* antidote because she never lets off the attack.

Gascoigne's armor has good poison resist. otherwise, always dodge to your left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCjrpghCYc

Obviously it can get hosed up and that does not always work. Fire fucks BSB up, so if you have fire paper, save it for the poison phase. also pungent blood cocktails work very well, giving you space to heal, use paper, and then get in free hits

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"dodge left" works great until poison starts pouring off him like a waterfall in all directions

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Bloodtinge/Skill is awesome because you can use the bowblade to long-distance stagger enemies with a charged R2 arrow, then run up and visceral the rest of their guts out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Inspector Hound posted:

"dodge left" works great until poison starts pouring off him like a waterfall in all directions

Right, but getting the phase 3 with full health and vials means you can mostly just power through the poison with just vials, and have antidotes as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also the poison spray only lasts for like a minute, it’s like an attack with a cool down, not an permanent phase aura

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Right, but getting the phase 3 with full health and vials means you can mostly just power through the poison with just vials, and have antidotes as well.

I can definitely agree with this, getting to that part only partially stocked has been a death sentence for me

Bust Rodd posted:

Also the poison spray only lasts for like a minute, it’s like an attack with a cool down, not an permanent phase aura

Now this i don't think I knew, I knew it turned on and off but I never thought of it as like a move he's doing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Also I found you could get a brief window to antidote/heal by putting a column between three two of you.

On stat chat, what's the point I should start leveling damage stats? I've got 30 vitality and 25 endurance. Also would like some recommendations for skill weapons if I somehow ever get sick of the threaded cane

I’d get a damage stat to 30 before you invest more in health and stamina. From there you can level all 3 stats however you want until you’re at softcaps. This is assuming you’re doing dungeons, if you aren’t I would focus a bit more on damage

Blade of mercy and beasthunter saif are good counterparts to the cane.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When I first started playing I skipped parrying since I never do it in Dark Souls until I got to Gascoigne and kinda hit a wall. Then I started practicing on the brick trolls and it became one of my favorite game mechanics ever. Whoever did the sound design is a genius nothing feels better than a parry in this game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If dump stat means you should never level it then no, bloodtinge can be a primary stat for 2 weapons so it can be the main part of a non-meme build. but 2 is fewer weapons than any of the other three damage stats, it’s hard to use them both together because one of their untransformed versions is a skill weapon and the other favors strength, one of them requires nearly clearing the DLC to get and meanwhile your bloodtinge isn’t doing much, and the other one involves draining unrallyable health which is a liability in cursed dungeons with how many attacks do 99% of your health but can barely be survived at full, so it’s actually easier to use as just a pure skill weapon. it’s still a primary damage stat but easily the most niche of the four.

a shame because the bloodletter is actually extremely fun and powerful, but many people probably never used it because it’s so specific. a nonobvious feature of the weapon is that the transform attack not only blasts most enemies away but also rallies back 100% of the health it costs, so you can freely transform it with no downside.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bust Rodd posted:

Reiterpallach is the dork BLT weapon for nerds who’d like a break from playing with their model train kits. Chikage/Evelyn 99 BLT is one of the most fun builds in the game.

BLT isn’t really a “dump” stat anymore than Str is a dump stat. Every single build is viable.

My personal philosophy is that Vit is the true dump stat in the game and that every build benefits from max green bar. On my last 4-5 Bloodborne characters I think I’ve leveled Vitality maybe once. It just makes more sense to git gud and take less damage than to train myself to make more mistakes by having a larger health bar

chikage's just a one note rakuyo and guns without a gimmick are boring hope this helps

he specifically asked if BLT a dump stat if they didn't intend to use a BLT weapon and it definitely is.

vit is good esp. for pvp and FRC dungeons and they designed a whole new mechanic around having enough to make use of rally. ignoring it is dumb

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sigher posted:

Big lol at that intro text saying "The use of software emulation is not allowed." There isn't even a PS4 emulator yet that can boot the game and not allowed by who? lol

self-imposed restriction. the dude does a shitload of this kind of stuff with many games - he's the guy who found that nier: automata skip to the end credits a couple months ago. part of the concept is that he goes beyond just pulling out data and going through the file structure, and shows as much as he can in-game. his youtube channel is really good

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

lol. So on a whim I went into Blood Starved Beast with the Saw Spear instead of the Thread Cane. Circle strafed around him spamming transformation attacks, he died without me needing to heal. Well, okay then

...I take it I shouldn't be in this chalice dungeon yet? Undead Giant comically hops on my head as soon as I enter his room, dead

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 12, 2021

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

Also would like some recommendations for skill weapons if I somehow ever get sick of the threaded cane

highly recommend blades of mercy as a partner to the threaded cane

gives you all 3 ranges of damage (rapid point blank, mid range, long range/crowd control) and does all the things the magnificent cane doesn't (duels well/obliterates single targets)

plus, it is, in my opinion, the most fun thing in the game. just keep in mind it gets bonus damage for quickstepping - zoom in, do huge damge, zoom out, zoom back in big damage again. its great. also zoom in and then obliterate with an unending combo that rapidly increases in speed as you attack turning you into a human blender. always use it in transformed, split-blades mode. only downside is no parrying, but its an artful dodger's wet dream

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BoM scales with Arcane too and has split damage, so be wary of that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Blades of Mercy and Burial Blade’s Arcane damage only applies to the whispy silver lines of arcane mist that come off the blades.

Edit: also Chikage’s only “gimmick” is being the best weapon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

...I take it I shouldn't be in this chalice dungeon yet? Undead Giant comically hops on my head as soon as I enter his room, dead

You can do depth 1 immediately. You can never out-stat all instakills in the dungeons, only some of them. But only bother if you eventually want to do root dungeons because the static dungeons are a lot of slog for no payoff otherwise.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

BoM scales with Arcane too and has split damage, so be wary of that.

quickstep bonus offsets that

and the blades aren't about damage per a swing, they're about volume of swings

only time single hits matter is quickstep hit-and-running which, as stated above, gets a big bonus already

my pure skill build had no issues using them, nor was there any noticeable difference between that build and my overpowered main skill/arcane softcap/near max

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 12, 2021

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Endurance past 40 is a trap - you get 160 stamina at 40 End, 161 stamina at 46 and 170 stamina at 99

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So abandoning the Chalice dungeon, I got knocked out by a big guy with a sack, thrown in prison, *almost* killed Darkbeast Paarl but died, befriended the chain gunner dickhead in the tower, somehow reduced myself to 1 Insight during this. I hope that won't be troublesome.

Also I've never seen Eileen once during any of this. Not sure if I despawned her somehow, she isn't in the sewers or anywhere in Cathedral Ward.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Regy Rusty posted:

In fact if you simply walk slowly to the left you needn't even dodge for the whole fight

yes but have you considered

DOOOOOOOO

DOOO DOOO DOOO

Good luck trying to not panic when your heart rate shoots through the roof when that part of the soundtrack drops

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

If dump stat means you should never level it then no, bloodtinge can be a primary stat for 2 weapons so it can be the main part of a non-meme build. but 2 is fewer weapons than any of the other three damage stats, it’s hard to use them both together because one of their untransformed versions is a skill weapon and the other favors strength, one of them requires nearly clearing the DLC to get and meanwhile your bloodtinge isn’t doing much, and the other one involves draining unrallyable health which is a liability in cursed dungeons with how many attacks do 99% of your health but can barely be survived at full, so it’s actually easier to use as just a pure skill weapon. it’s still a primary damage stat but easily the most niche of the four.

a shame because the bloodletter is actually extremely fun and powerful, but many people probably never used it because it’s so specific. a nonobvious feature of the weapon is that the transform attack not only blasts most enemies away but also rallies back 100% of the health it costs, so you can freely transform it with no downside.

When I posited that BLT is a dump stat I mean you dump it in builds that don't go pure BLT. I've gone that route in the past, Chikage/Evelyn is a very fun playstyle to use. But for any other build, the bare minimum BLT is all you need.

That's why I just started Cruel Fate on my new Skill build. It's kind of rough starting out, but at least I have mollies, and I plan to Flamespray down BSB when I get there.

DeathChicken posted:

So abandoning the Chalice dungeon, I got knocked out by a big guy with a sack, thrown in prison, *almost* killed Darkbeast Paarl but died, befriended the chain gunner dickhead in the tower, somehow reduced myself to 1 Insight during this. I hope that won't be troublesome.

Also I've never seen Eileen once during any of this. Not sure if I despawned her somehow, she isn't in the sewers or anywhere in Cathedral Ward.

You need to open all 3 gates in Cathedral Ward to allow her to spawn and give you the Henryk quest.

Note that once you enter Forbidden Woods, Eileen will despawn and you're locked out of fighting Bloody Crow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sure is great to lose ten Insight to the mindflayer boss in the chalice dungeon. Yep. Didn’t want to use that at all for anything...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, in hindsight that's how I went from about 15 insight to 1, bumping into that Brainsucker in Cathedral Ward and not really knowing what he was about until he'd hit me around six times. Whoops

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are the Shadows of Yharnam completely without any Lore behind them? For a game that does such a good job in world building and making feel like bosses feel appropriate for the world they feel like they're just out of left field. The only connection they seem to have is using Snakes and being on patrol later in Mergo's Loft but they just feel... I dunno, weird. Like you're going through this murky wood with poisonous snakes and then boom, Black Metal album cover as a boss who never get referenced in any bit of lore or anything, just some metal enthusiasts who hang out in the woods.

Paarl feels the same way but I think you at least find notes about Paarl somewhere in the game. Paarl feels like a boss they finished but didn't have time to give an appropriate area so they just mocked up some random area of the city and put him in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Paarl’s lore is all environmental stuff in the Ailing Loran chalices

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shadows drop the Blood Rapture rune which describes “servants of the Queen, carrier of the Child of Blood, who yearn for their Queen's blood with little hope of requitement.
For them, they find solace in Blood Rapture, that serves as a surrogate for their desires.” The other place they occur is in Mergo’s Loft. So they’re guards of the old Pthumerian royal line.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting, but... why are they in the woods then seemingly "guarding" Byrgenworth? I guess so no one gets there to disturb Rom, in order to challenge the Wet Nurse and thus kill Mergo?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

sigher posted:

Interesting, but... why are they in the woods then seemingly "guarding" Byrgenworth? I guess so no one gets there to disturb Rom, in order to challenge the Wet Nurse and thus kill Mergo?

the pthumerian queen is chilling underneath the lake, only revealed when rom is killed

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

took me forever to understand the little wordplay that they're not shadows of Yharnam the town, they're shadows, as in attendants, of Yharnam the queen

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm surprised Pikachu faced like a motherfucker over here.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Paarl’s lore is all environmental stuff in the Ailing Loran chalices

Expand on that

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

sigher posted:

Notice that they’re also guarding a giant gravestone/gravesite, specifically called the Forbidden Grave. The blood of Queen Yharnam is known as the Forbidden Blood (it’s the stuff taken to Queen Annalise to make the Vilebloods), and the architecture of the giant grave is one seen only in the chalice dungeons.

Byrgenwerth is likely over one of the entrances to Pthumeru Ihyll and the Forbidden Grave is a marker for the tomb of Queen Yharnam. Alongside the fact that you meet her spirit in the moon lake dreamworld.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phobophilia posted:

yes but have you considered

DOOOOOOOO

DOOO DOOO DOOO

Good luck trying to not panic when your heart rate shoots through the roof when that part of the soundtrack drops

I cant not hear this as the Dune theme

Also thanks for the weapon tips, how awful are the BoM to get?

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Man, I'd heard how tough the bosses in the DLC are but nothing in the main game has given me too terribly much trouble and I think I'm nearing the end so I thought I'd check it out. Ludwig is like a brick loving wall for me. I'm pretty sure I died more times tonight trying (unsuccessfully) to beat Ludwig than I have to all the other bosses I've fought combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Huh is hacking a big thing in this game? Twice I've met a character named "Doll", who takes hardly any damage when struck, and one-shots you with a Bowblade.

Like I was the one invading, and they were cooperating, but come on.