Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Oh my god. I had built a theory that Rick was the one whose face was cut out for the standee, and Penny was actually the young child. I should've posted it for street cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am inordinately pleased to be the first to point out:
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-17

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Isn’t Ritz non-binary, or was it just implied but not yet confirmed?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Xinder posted:

Love the way she was introduced here. I hope we never get a deadname and she's just constantly referred to by surname or "Known in the future as Penny"

:negative: But Spender puns :negative:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pants Donkey posted:

Isn’t Ritz non-binary, or was it just implied but not yet confirmed?

Her intro splash gave her the title of "heiress" paired with a very masculine fashion sense, so kinda? Gnc at the very least

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

:negative: But Spender puns :negative:
I was trying to think of something with Penny Slugs, as in pre-transition Penny is fake. Slugworth Spender? Maybe Bill is a big Charlie & the Chocolate Factory fan.

But yeah, it’s likely going to be a lot of “Son” “Sport” and other nicknames. Zack doesn’t seem like the person to make that (completely unnecessary) reveal. It also will reinforce the Spenders very fake family relations.

I seriously put in [/spender] at first to end the spoilers :negative:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

She is committing crimes in her reintroduction

I guess that makes her a Bad Penny

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

She is committing crimes in her reintroduction

I guess that makes her a Bad Penny
It also explains how she was able to steal the lantern!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Are Ritz and Penny the same age here? In the previous chapter, when we're introduced to Ritz, it's mentioned she's still in high school (or, at least, that's what Stephen thinks, anyway) but Penny is already working as a waitress.

I guess the implication is that both Rick and Penny were disowned and are now earning their own livings instead of living off the Spender fortune.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are Ritz and Penny the same age here? In the previous chapter, when we're introduced to Ritz, it's mentioned she's still in high school (or, at least, that's what Stephen thinks, anyway) but Penny is already working as a waitress.

I guess the implication is that both Rick and Penny were disowned and are now earning their own livings instead of living off the Spender fortune.

Some people start working in High School so if they're about the same age that'd still work.

Probably both disowned but I do wonder how much money they still have access to considering giancarlo was probably not purchased on a teacher's salary. Maybe they still had their own stupid large bank accounts.

two disowned kids opens up for a third attempt at perfect rich child

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rannum posted:

two disowned kids opens up for a third attempt at perfect rich child

That was exactly the direction my mind went when reading this page too.

The problem is, though, Suzy would have to be 5-6 years old already here and thus would probably have been in that family portrait.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 12, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rannum posted:

Some people start working in High School so if they're about the same age that'd still work.

Probably both disowned but I do wonder how much money they still have access to considering giancarlo was probably not purchased on a teacher's salary. Maybe they still had their own stupid large bank accounts.
As someone disowned for being queer from a well-to-do family, bribes are very common. Sometimes “be ‘normal’ and we’ll get you more stuff” and other times “enjoying stuff? We’re so nice, aren’t we? Isn’t stuff proof of our love? All we want is for you to stop being queer. It’d be a shame if you stop getting stuff.”

Wealthy parents are...not good at understanding what it means to love someone.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

That was exactly the direction my mind went when reading this page too.

The problem is, though, Suzy would have to be 5-6 years old already here and thus would probably have been in that family portrait.

Well, Penny says they had to go back "more than two years" for the portrait, so Suzy would only have to be 3-4. So, bold prediction: they photoshopped the dog over her.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, Penny says they had to go back "more than two years" for the portrait, so Suzy would only have to be 3-4. So, bold prediction: they photoshopped the dog over her.

drat that's good

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I assumed Penny was a girl that liked to wear suits before I read the author blurb.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well, thanks for speaking to my thought of 'i don't know why zack felt like they needed to underline that penny is trans, i thought they'd communicated it pretty well'

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I assumed Penny was a girl that liked to wear suits before I read the author blurb.

Same.

But then I also forgot that Ritz Jr. existed and was extremely confused about why Mothman's wife was a child just a few years ago and if we were supposed to think there were some spectral shenanigans going on until I read the author blurb, so I don't think I am good measuring stick for readers noticing things. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 12, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I did not pick up on any indications that penny is trans

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

The commentary under the comic states it directly.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Who What Now posted:

I'm trans and that's what I thought too :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In my defense suits are snazzy and gendered clothing is bullshit

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Who What Now posted:

In my defense suits are snazzy and gendered clothing is bullshit

:hmmyes:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ninjewtsu posted:

I gather most trans people prefer if you can't :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The parents that want to disown their son over being gay, the one concerned with presenting the image of a Perfect Nuclear Family...would definitely be okay with their daughter wearing boy clothes at a gala.

Also calling her the “future” Penny Spender, to really make a point of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I also thought they disowned Spender over being a massive, unphotogenic goober and that "the future" meant that Penny was the future of the Spender family.

I might be stupid as gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't find it but I'm almost certain there was another panel earlier in the comic that also had the line "... big brother." or a similar way of ending the panel. Something about that panel looks super familiar, can't put my finger on what it's reminding me of from this comic.

Anyway look at last week's page, panel 4, the man to the left of Mothman. Pie eyes which no one else in the comic has, he's Collin's father or related to him.

Looking at Suzy's house in this page from looking out her window we can conclude that it's not the same house as Bill Spender's mansion depicted at the bottom of the page here. That said the bed curtains, copious amounts of stuffed toys, iBanana, and the sleep mask suggest she's accustomed to at least some level of financial comfort.

Between the Spenders, the Price-Lees, possibly whoever Collin's family is, and the Joneses (...... "keeping up with the Joneses", hmm.), plus Mayview Academy vs. Mayview Middle School, I think it's plausible that there's some sort of high-society subplot going on?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder if even knows about Penny. If he was cut off early enough, he may have never known a out her transition.

Basically, I want another Awkward Spender Moment where he treats Penny like a stranger.

EDIT: Read a comment that, even as a child, Ritz wants to be a jerk to dogs.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 12, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She could be Susan B. Anthony Spender.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, how tall is that dude Penny's pickpocketing?!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looking at Suzy's house in this page from looking out her window we can conclude that it's not the same house as Bill Spender's mansion depicted at the bottom of the page here. That said the bed curtains, copious amounts of stuffed toys, iBanana, and the sleep mask suggest she's accustomed to at least some level of financial comfort.

Hmm.

Spender has bed curtains here, and this would be when he's still living with his family.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I do love the headcanon that the Spenders are actually fine with Rick's monster boyfriend and disowned him purely because he's such a huge dork.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A gay son locks in the liberal vote.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fecha posted:

I do love the headcanon that the Spenders are actually fine with Rick's monster boyfriend and disowned him purely because he's such a huge dork.
They are actually super leftist but can’t tolerate how much of a dang nerd Rich is, and they accepted Penny without problem because she’s super cool :unsmith:

(their dealings and Davy and Bill’s gaudy gala package imply this will not be the case, but we can dream)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Who What Now posted:

A gay son locks in the liberal vote.

rich: i'm gay
bill to his wife: oh honey we can make liberal use of this one (and then both of them laugh a lot)

penny, meanwhile is just making a mental note to never mention it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hmm.

Spender has bed curtains here, and this would be when he's still living with his family.

Or would it? Maybe the Spenders make their children live in a separate household from them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
If Suzy is the third Spender child, maybe her obsession with the Activity club is just her wanting to know what her big brother is up to? Or maybe just the consequence of being a child of power in a family where there's secrets everywhere that she isn't privy too.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Pitch: Suzy is a Spender, but she’s Bill’s lovechild from an affair, so she lives in a different house with her other parent. Maybe she got the Spender name if there was some sort of arrangement to do so or in the years since Bill divorced and married her mom (as he’s obsessed with image, both are doubtful), or maybe she has a different embarrassing last name. In that case, she’d still have a reason to be interested in the Activity Club with her older brother running it.

Pitch #2: I don’t think I see Mom Spender on these pages. Maybe she and Bill pretend to be together for image purposes but have actually broken up in reality, and she took Suzy with her to another house.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Suzy isn't a Spender because the comic has spent a lot of time focusing on spectral/paranatural lineages. The Guerras, the Spenders, the Joneses, the Burgers... most major spectrals are part of a spooky family in some way, shape, or form, so it would be weird if the Spenders, who have at least two spectrals in their family, had a third kid who wasn't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I also thought they disowned Spender over being a massive, unphotogenic goober and that "the future" meant that Penny was the future of the Spender family.

I might be stupid as gently caress

This is the impression I got as well and I'm such a moron that I swear the text under the comic was just 'Thanks for Reading!' when I looked at it first.

Personally I can't wait till these girls taking selfies become the main focus of the plot for 3 months. They look cool.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-154

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lmao my dumbass completely missed the implication of "the future" meaning she takes the name Penny in the future when she transitions.

I just figured she was already Penny and "Flawless favoured child, The Future" was one of Zach's typical over the top titles.

Edit: Ed "The Burger Child" Burger versus Penny "The Future" Spender.