Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Laughed so loving hard at everyone feeling bad about calling Chopper a tanuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The new holder of Toki's fruit launched themselves into the future so hard they ended up in the past, grabbed young Oden in the second timeline, sped all the way into a third timeline, and dropped the Oden from the second timeline

Have we hit max crackpot yet

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Didn't Chopper square up on a hungry Big Mom during Whole Cake? Little dude is making waves in the new world.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm happy chopper finally got to do his doctorin'

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thank loving god chopper got a chapter to shine. that was everything i wanted out of him and more. easily one of my faves in recent memory.

also, re: oden at the end:

i think it's actually him and he was shoved forward in time somehow

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Now I want Chopper to be the one who takes down Queen

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Also, the Waiters and Pleasures rebelling en masse is a huge win for the Samurai.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

anime was right posted:

thank loving god chopper got a chapter to shine. that was everything i wanted out of him and more. easily one of my faves in recent memory.

It's definitely Toki who healed the samurai, but I'm betting the Oden is some time-time fruit ghost power, here to give them a pep talk

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThingOne posted:

Now I want Chopper to be the one who takes down Queen

It kind of looks like he has; Marco gave him a decent run up, he was in full angry kaiju mode, and I feel like Queen's time in the story is probably over, given that everyone has turned on him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tir McDohl posted:

That was incredible, and the Chopper-shaped mushroom cloud really made me laugh. Still healing people with cherry blossoms, after all these years :allears:

Re: Oden, he's obviously Enel using his electricity powers to shape-shift into Oden, who he heard about in some sort of prophecy in the moon ruins. I mean, it's so clear, I don't know why people are arguing about this.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Maybe Momo temporarily transformed into Oden? I know he was on the opposite side of the castle but as a magic flying dragon it's possible he could make it there quickly. CP0 mentioned that Vegapunk was trying to unlock a 'lineage factor' with the artificial fruit and Oden is definitely a part of Momo's lineage. There has also been a recurring theme of Momo doubting that he is capable of leading/saving his country - I suppose that momentarily becoming a badass adult HxH-style would be one way for Momo to step up and play a big role in saving Wano. I'm no scabbardologist but it could be that the two swords on his hip are Ame no Habakiri and Shusui? Both would technically be available to Momo although where he got them would be a giant asspull

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

anime was right posted:

Maybe the person who died 20 years ago was an Oden fake and this is the real Oden?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Bisse posted:

Maybe the person who died 20 years ago was an Oden fake and this is the real Oden?

:hmmyes:

what I'm hearing is; nanomachines are back on the menu fam

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

:hmmyes:

what I'm hearing is; nanomachines are back on the menu fam

finally...

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Bisse posted:

Or somewhere in Oden’s timeline his wife sent him into the future to defeat Kaido then sent him back to past to fulfill his destiny by dying because his death would be the only thing to inspire Wano to open its borders or something idk.

It would feel pretty cheap, narratively speaking, for someone to appear as Oden only to poof back into their original form for a gotcha moment.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I hope we dont get backwards time travel. Forwards time travel is clean, backwards time travel is broken.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bisse posted:

Oden's dad never died of poison. Toki sent him a little into the future so that with his dying breath he could impersonate Oden. Toki switched them out at the last second, sending Oden even further into the future than the Scabards. Then she sent Momo and the Scabards into the future, and took her own future jump.

As fun as finding ways for Toki and Oden to be in the present is, I really hope it's not them. Because holy poo poo would they be absolutely terrible people for jumping everyone but their daughter into the future, while leaving her princess rear end alone in the immediately post revolution past.

Sorry Hiyori, but mommy has to run to the store to get some milk. Don't worry, my future powers tell me that you'll grow up to be the most famous hooker in all of Wano. Living every day nearly all but alone. Bitterly scamming men who are trying to sleep with you of all their money while crying yourself to sleep every night at the state of your beloved country. Every day another horrible step towards unattainable vengeance. See you in 20 years, mommy loves you!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still think it's weird that Denjiro finds Hiyori, his hero's daughter, and sets her up with a sweet gig as a prostitute.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What if...

It's Oden from a different timeline?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I still think it's weird that Denjiro finds Hiyori, his hero's daughter, and sets her up with a sweet gig as a prostitute.

i thought she ran away at some point and that's how they got separated?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Electric Phantasm posted:

What if...

It's Oden from a different timeline?

Why'd you guys team up with some pirates? You know I hate pirates ever since I went on my voyage with my good friends Sengoku and Garp. I really miss trading parenting tips with Garp.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

IIRC she ran away from Kawamatsu and ran into Denjiro (now Kyoshiro) later.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hiyori ran away from the kappa guy, wandered into the capitol and was found by some of Danjuro's girls.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The scabbards died from their wounds and are meeting Oden in heaven

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Plebian Parasite posted:

The scabbards died from their wounds and are meeting Oden in heaven

And if I die, I wonder if Heaven got a Kuri

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tir McDohl posted:

The hands over the mouths is so funny

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, is this the first time Chopper has ever been this useful or cool?

Also, I was not expecting Oden to still be alive. Looking forward to seeing what that’s about

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 12, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think the most likely possibility is that Onimaru the fox is taking the form of Oden.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Larryb posted:

I forget, is this the first time Chopper has ever been cool?

*with several people holding me back*
what the fFFUCK did yoU JUST loving

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bleck posted:

*with several people holding me back*
what the fFFUCK did yoU JUST loving

I notice you cut out the “this” from the above statement (which was kind of the point as in my opinion this was one of his best moments and I couldn’t remember if there were others in the past similar to it)

Also in retrospect this can’t be Oden (his bottom half is actually covered up for one thing and it wouldn’t make a lot of narrative sense besides)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 12, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Larryb posted:

Also in retrospect this can’t be Oden (his bottom half is actually covered up for one thing)

I don't think it can be actual living Oden either, because either way this battle goes it doesn't make any narrative sense to bring him in. If the Straw hats and their allies lose (which has been widely speculated to be likely to happen) Oden's presence is clearly unnecessary and pointless, and thematically it doesn't make much sense for him to be there if they are meant to come out on top either. The whole primary conflict on the roof has been framed in terms of the new generation of pirates confronting and potentially eclipsing the last vestiges of the previous generation, inserting Oden at any point just lessens the impact of what Oda's built up in the story here.

I think it almost has to be some sort of spiritual manifestation of Oden made possible through the mysticism surrounding the Fire Festival, which is established as being traditionally centered around connecting with the deceased. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me, I really hope it's not some sort of shape shifter or one of Kanjuro's drawings because that would be incredibly lame lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What was the evidence straw hats are going to lose this? Seems pretty dang end-gamey for this arc.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The World Inferno posted:

What was the evidence straw hats are going to lose this? Seems pretty dang end-gamey for this arc.

It's probably based on the theory that Wano will follow the traditional five-act structure of Kabuki theater, where act 3 typically ends with a tragedy, act 4 will be the actual climax, and act 5 will be the resolution/wind down.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Julias posted:

It's probably based on the theory that Wano will follow the traditional five-act structure of Kabuki theater, where act 3 typically ends with a tragedy, act 4 will be the actual climax, and act 5 will be the resolution/wind down.

that and the location seemed "off". It didn't seem right that the fight to liberate the people of Wano would take place in some off-shore island away from the population, the Straw Hat's greatest victories have always been witnessed by the entire population at some central point of attention. Obviously that's been cleaned up a bit now that the off-shore Island is floating towards the people lol.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's obvious that it's either Orochi, or the hag woman that he encountered when he was younger, time traveling Oden doesn't make that much sense because then why wouldn't he just stay in the future and go back to boil alive?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

"I'm not a tanuki!" is such a great moment. Marco and Drake in particular, meekly covering their mouths in apology, were hilarious.

The World Inferno posted:

I don't think the Straw Hats are going to lose. I think Luffy/Zoro/Law/Kidd/Killer are going to lose. Luffy can't beat Kaido the second time they fight. It's gotta be the third time.

My prediction is that we'll get all the Strawhat fights, maybe cutting to the new generation having a tough time against Kaido every now and then, and when things are looking up/Kaido's underlings are taken care of, Kaido himself will step it up and take care of his fight and put everyone else in danger, and Luffy will have to go after him and deal with him or whatever. That transition, where Kaido gains the advantage, is a good place for the kabuki act break tragedy beat.

At least, that's the most straightforward, typical One Piece way this could go. I think anything other than the above would be an interesting twist, but taking out Kaido without at least as much effort as Crocodile or Katakuri seems unlikely and unsatisfying given his place in the world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still waiting for the Robin fight we were promised a few chapters ago

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Silver2195 posted:

I think the most likely possibility is that Onimaru the fox is taking the form of Oden.

i checked through a LOT of swords and they seem to be the exact same style of the swords that onimaru was hoarding. keep in mind that most of the swords in one piece look like this, but they're almost all variations of the circle guard, black white/white black diamond in this picture, with a few exceptions. same style this oden has.

almost all of the swords every other major character uses in wano are square or flower guard with the exception of mooks.

basically, oden has the most "generic" possible swords in one piece. so its possible its onimaru. or he just found some loving swords laying around who knows.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Jiro posted:

It's obvious that it's either Orochi, or the hag woman that he encountered when he was younger, time traveling Oden doesn't make that much sense because then why wouldn't he just stay in the future and go back to boil alive?

Orochi can't take the form of others.
The old woman is dead.
Toki's fruit only allows for forward time travel.

Edit: Having just reread chapters 972 & 973, I'm more convinced the cloaked figure is Toki. She was wearing an identical hooded cloak the last time we saw her, right before she was shot and collapsed off-panel. I guess I could buy her having some (awakened?) fruit ability to produce a non-corporeal 'time echo' of a person for a short time. So yeah, that's my new front-runner theory. Real Toki, time-echo ghost Oden.

jassa fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm going to double down on this being Yamato. What is the main difference between what Oden wears and what Yamato wears? Oden shows off dem gams while Yamato doesn't.

As for location on the island, Yamato knows all the short cuts and the map shows them running towards the storeroom where the Scabbards are. Which might be one level above or not, the map ain't the greatest on showing different levels at the moment.

Probably unrelated, the artwork of Momo going dragon looks like he just impaled right on through Yamato's torso instead of wrapping around it.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 13, 2021