Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kumongalon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Didn't the DP or cinematographer for G'14 insist that the brightness (or lack thereof) on the Blu-Ray was how it was supposed to look?

Maybe the 3D version which was considerably brighter

If they said that about the regular release, they're a flat out liar

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Perhaps the true way to experience Kaiju films it to watch them with your eyes closed and let your mind make up the visuals to go along with what you're hearing

Then you open your eyes to see people in suits beating the snot out of each other and realize that's a much more enjoyable experience

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Perhaps the true way to experience Kaiju films it to watch them with your eyes closed and let your mind make up the visuals to go along with what you're hearing

Then you open your eyes to see people in suits beating the snot out of each other and realize that's a much more enjoyable experience

It's like CSPAN, really

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/getfandom/status/1370176047791022086?s=21

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's Kong's height on four limbs, right? He seems on a pretty even level with Godzilla during The Haymaker Shot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

That's Kong's height on four limbs, right? He seems on a pretty even level with Godzilla during The Haymaker Shot.

That's both at full height. Remember, Godzilla is hunched forward most of the time, and he's climbing onto the ship during the haymaker scene. I doubt he was standing fully.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

hot off the subscription box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_9AuRKlylU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sounds pretty generic for Junkie XL tbh. Not really feeling it. I like this better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0FeOrK6rk

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Hmm. I'm not sure about that that theme. Desplat did some great work and created his own themes that felt like they honoured the work of Ifukube while still being quite different and specific to the 14 film. McCreary did exceptional work, especially with how he brought in Ifukube's Godzilla and Mothra themes while creating new ones for Ghidorah and Rodan (the bombastic horns for Rodan are incredible). But this sounds a little odd, it's clearly working off the og Godzilla theme, but it's also quite notably not actually it. You keep expecting it to go into an expression of that theme and it just doesn't, to the extent it feels like one of those deliberately off-brand versions you'd use for a Godzilla parody. Context is king though so maybe within the film it'll be great but it's a little odd.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah, that's totally generic and boring, and sounds like a legally distinct pastiche. Also sounds like it could've been put together in a few hours. That's pretty disappointing from Junkie. Dude made the Fury Road and BvS soundtracks, ffs!

Bear's is basically the perfect modern G soundtrack, and I keep going back to it just whenever. My partner loves it, and she doesn't even like Godzilla.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow yeah. That sounds like something you'd hear on Robot Chicken when Godzilla shows up. As a huge fan of his that's really disappointing. The one shining diamond of KotM was Bear's soundtrack. He nailed it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You could say that theme has no life to it. It's too....... mechanical.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Lol....

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFk-kZ53BEg

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should just use Godzilla by BOC as his theme. They were halfway there in King of the Monsters, just commit you cowards.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/collider/status/1370418231647801352?s=21

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but the drums in this remind me more of this Godzilla theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ejZqNo27Zg
Which I'm all for! I always thought this was a pretty fun composition.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why is it called Pensacola, Florida?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Godzilla is a big alligator.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vince MechMahon posted:

He’s taking a vacation

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martman posted:

It would own if that pays off in the movie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What's interesting is that I saw Godzilla 2014 at a drive-in so if there is a brighter-lit version I've never seen it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Martman posted:

Hmm ok. I will totally buy into this if this ends up being the case lmao.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fusion kaiju

Well alright then

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Writer 1: “Hey these kaiju all kinda suck, how do we fix them?”

Writer 2: *holds up superglue*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
megalon is a bro, please dont besmirch him

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
With all due respect to Kamacuras, I don't see how combining with Gigan does anything but make: Gigan, worse.

I can see the benefits of Kumongalon, though.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Writer 1: “Hey these kaiju all kinda suck, how do we fix them?”

Writer 2: *holds up superglue*

Gigan is fantastic. :mad:

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
While Pacific Rim is obviously the superior film, Pacific Rim 2 is the best live action Eva movie we are going to get. It was absolutely a love letter just a love letter to a different kind of giant robot film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VinylonUnderground posted:

While Pacific Rim is obviously the superior film, Pacific Rim 2 is the best live action Eva movie we are going to get. It was absolutely a love letter just a love letter to a different kind of giant robot film.

I want to know what giant robot it was a love letter to so I may put it out of its misery because if that's the best EVA we're going to get yikes

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just finished watching Pacific Rim Black with my 10 year old kaiju/Pacific Rim fanatic. How's this for a quote blurb? "It was crazier than Uprising but it was still better."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It has the theme so it’s way better

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

I want to know what giant robot it was a love letter to so I may put it out of its misery because if that's the best EVA we're going to get yikes

For me, Eva ended and still really ends with a bunch of people clapping. But I think Avs had a great post where she said something along the lines of, "Well, I wasn't in love with that ending but it was a great show! I'm very excited for the movies though I have a crippling phobia of crows and creeps creaming on my sleeping body."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VinylonUnderground posted:

For me, Eva ended and still really ends with a bunch of people clapping. But I think Avs had a great post where she said something along the lines of, "Well, I wasn't in love with that ending but it was a great show! I'm very excited for the movies though I have a crippling phobia of crows and creeps creaming on my sleeping body."

This does not answer anything that I asked

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The closest kaiju film to Evangelion is probably Monsters: Dark Continent.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

This does not answer anything that I asked

The Mass Produced Units. And everything they represent.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1371514684524859393?s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whenever I see Toho Kingdom I imagine a Japanese Disneyland dedicated entirely to Kaiju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pitch your idea for a kaiju theme park attraction.

Mine is the Matterhorn, but instead of going into a mountain you just go into Godzilla's mouth and have an adventure in his digestive tract.