Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

exmachina posted:

Also what zip program should I be using? Is windows stock extractor usable yet?

in any case where it is insufficient i just use wsl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I use 7zip op

Jewel
May 2, 2009

just dont download and extract things you dont trust

:)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jewel posted:

just dont download

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the internet use to be cool because it was a private clubhouse for nerds, and there the barrier for entry was high because you had to have $1000 computer and pass the iq test of getting online

now android smartphones come with your breakfast cereal and illiterate people can participate by using emojis

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine all the cool people are on usenet or something

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

welp

https://twitter.com/we1x/status/1370390754108047360?s=20

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Perplx posted:

the internet use to be cool because it was a private clubhouse for nerds, and there the barrier for entry was high because you had to have $1000 computer and pass the iq test of getting online

now android smartphones come with your breakfast cereal and illiterate people can participate by using emojis

I've been pissed about normies on my internet for at least 15 years, possibly more like 18.

But otoh I enjoy mmos, and those couldn't exist without a swarm of dumb pubbies paying for them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

seems like the best solution here is to just get rid of javascript

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all javascript timing calls now return a random int64

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

That has been true since the day it was invented

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

now?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

Shaggar posted:

:hmmyes:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

it's wild to me that javascript - which started out life as a glue between java, npapi plugins, and html - is now responsible for more lines of code than a completely usable OS kernel

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

my favorite part about this article is it won't display the text at all unless i whitelist ajax.googleapis.com in umatrix

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

haveblue posted:

how? javascript can only handle 53-bit ints

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

code:
func rand.Int64() {
  // chosen by random dice roll
  return 7
}

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wow, my execution times went all the way to zero! javascript is amazing!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Soricidus posted:

how? javascript can only handle 53-bit ints

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/BigInt

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

xtal posted:

I imagine all the cool people are on usenet or something

not one single cool person has ever usednet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

what do you mean, back in the day i-

oh.

:(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

I used it to download warez OP

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Achmed Jones posted:

what do you mean, back in the day i-

oh.

:(

dejanews-now-Google-groups has some pretty 17yo posting from me, it’s not great

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol very cool internet we have

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

computational isolation is a lie, physics will always trump our cleverness and closely-held desires

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Subjunctive posted:

dejanews-now-Google-groups has some pretty 17yo posting from me, it’s not great

Consider yourself lucky they have the only copy of this part of internet history and seem intent on making it as difficult to access as humanly possible

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think all of my shameful teenage usenet posting was at least pseudonymous

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

i think all of my shameful teenage usenet posting was at least pseudonymous

oh, so you’ve always been smarter than me. that’s just great, thanks

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
i can't get this to work on firefox while it's trivial to do so on chrome so i've decided firefox is immune

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no, people just don’t write for Firefox anymore (witness Google breaking YouTube and other sites for non-Blink browsers a few days ago)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

oh, so you’ve always been smarter than me. that’s just great, thanks

in the interests of undermining your opinion of me, i will reveal that i was posting to alt.games.warcraft

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

it's wild to me that javascript - which started out life as a glue between java, npapi plugins, and html - is now responsible for more lines of code than a completely usable OS kernel

considering the birth of javascript almost directly correlates with the beginning of the race to pile on additional modern trendy layers of complexity to tasks that were already usable and solved by existing low overhead solutions this makes sense

most people can fill out a form and wait a few seconds for a database server to spit out the results but now you need an eight core CPU in your telephone running a full unix clone with hundreds of libraries on top to encapsulate a web page coated in megabytes of javascript to ask that database server to do the same, except now the database server is written in several hundred megabytes of javascript

you can write a functional unix kernel and tcp stack in less than ten thousand lines of code but it wouldn’t give you an error message with “UwU” in it when the database can’t resolve your query so we have to have sensitive data exfiled from your PC because someone put a malicious ad on facebook

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 13, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

considering the birth of javascript

1995? nobody was doing fancy poo poo then because there wasn’t even a useful DOM to gently caress with until IE4 in 1997

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kazinsal posted:

considering the birth of javascript almost directly correlates with the beginning of the race to pile on additional modern trendy layers of complexity to tasks that were already usable and solved by existing low overhead solutions this makes sense

most people can fill out a form and wait a few seconds for a database server to spit out the results but now you need an eight core CPU in your telephone running a full unix clone with hundreds of libraries on top to encapsulate a web page coated in megabytes of javascript to ask that database server to do the same, except now the database server is written in several hundred megabytes of javascript

you can write a functional unix kernel and tcp stack in less than ten thousand lines of code but it wouldn’t give you an error message with “UwU” in it when the database can’t resolve your query so we have to have sensitive data exfiled from your PC because someone put a malicious ad on facebook

https://lesbian.solutions/@dragon/105868544640422357

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mastadon doesn't embed?

jesus jeffrey, get on the ball here

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

The only thing I hate more about all of this is that it's accurate.

:sigh:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

personally i think javascript is neat :kiddo:

just wish we didn't let ads use it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Subjunctive posted:

1995? nobody was doing fancy poo poo then because there wasn’t even a useful DOM to gently caress with until IE4 in 1997

are you saying ie... good?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

redleader posted:

they’re saying ie created webdev. I’m not sure how you get “ie good” out of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

redleader posted:

IE was easily the best web browser until about 2005