Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did she ask for the manager at any point? Or yell about her rights being trampled??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That whole thread in TV IV is people not getting what they want and not being OK with the main character being Not A Good Person at the end and that’s really funny.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I rewatched BvS and still wish that there was some sort of final director's cut that kept all the extra scenes of Clark doing stuff from the ultimate cut but got rid of all the scenes that revealed that Lex was behind it all by hiring crisis actors, paying off inmates, etc.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I rewatched BvS and still wish that there was some sort of final director's cut that kept all the extra scenes of Clark doing stuff from the ultimate cut but got rid of all the scenes that revealed that Lex was behind it all by hiring crisis actors, paying off inmates, etc.

Someone summon K_Waste.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

That whole thread in TV IV is people not getting what they want and not being OK with the main character being Not A Good Person at the end and that’s really funny.

The pages upon pages of theories in spoiler text only for it to be that ending was so funny in there

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My main issue with it is that I'm pretty sure the writers thought she was the good guy, because they had Monica riding her dick the whole way through for absolutely zero reason. Including assuring her that, hey, don't worry, they just don't get you. If they knew what you gave up, they totally would have forgiven you for all the horrific poo poo you did to them without end for weeks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well you can’t know that. And a character saying I understand what you did, but it’s poo poo isn’t absolving her of guilt. That’s just silly.

Use your own feelings instead of what you think someone who you don’t know intentions were.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Did she ask for the manager at any point? Or yell about her rights being trampled??

Yep, in multiple episodes whenever she was confronted with the reality of the situation.

Was the first person who confronted her with the truth a POC too? I forgot.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 12, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

Sort of? Look, I'm totally down for making the protagonist not be a good person in the end (Attack on Titan is doing this exceptionally well at the moment) but I feel like Wanda's actions were inadvertently rooted in Karen-esque behavior when trying to write about her processing grief that ends up with mixed/questionable messaging, i.e., an extremely powerful person privileged (cursed?) with the ability to warp reality sorta goes crazy and ends up hurting others because they can't deal with their poo poo properly. Like, this demigod witch or whatever is projecting her grief onto others, they're suffering for it and can't do anything about it unless this demigod relents. The Uberkaren. I didn't care much for the show, but that revelation stuck because it's both lol and yikes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm actually kind of surprised at a lot of the comments in that polygon article. These films are easy fodder for jumping in with some snide(r) comment about them for some easy upvotes.

I just think it's funny that these days the worst thing you can be is a fan of something. Talk about a film a lot, then you have some serious problems moving on. Wanting to fight back against studio meddling is just awful. But just consuming what they put out? Now that's the way to do things. Hey, a black superman might be in the works! WB is so good! Nah, ignore that stuff with the theatrical cut stuff and how it diminished roles of black and brown folks, that's obsessive and refusing to move on.

Now if you hate a film and talk about it constantly it's good because you want the film to change and be different. Watching a youtube video about a series that happens to have an actor that was in a Zack Snyder film and they go off about how Superman "never smiles"? Totally normal and wanting things to change and be different. It's just a bummer that this narrative keeps getting regurgitated despite not being true. Snyder hardcores are just as bad as any fandom hardcores. It's why talking about these films is so tough because this is the "default". It's common knowledge that he is obviously an Objectivist and a Fascist. It's obvious his Superman never smiles or saves anyone. Despite none of that being true you'll almost always see a take of that by someone who half remembers the film, if even that.

Detective No. 27's post should probably be added to the OP because it nails everything perfectly. This cut should be the galvanizing moment for everyone. It's about restoring an artist's vision for the film. The one he shot and was happy to be the one folks saw. Your opinion of his films doesn't even matter in this context, this is the kind of poo poo that's a victory against studio interference and meddling. But it somehow became the worst thing to happen in the industry. This poo poo gets talked about with more serious and dire tones than Disney's output account for ~40% of the box office or them buying up everything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Yep, in multiple episodes whenever she was confronted with the reality of the situation.

Was the first person who confronted her with the truth a POC too? I forgot.

????

Who was the manager?

Being a Karen is about asserting your dominance over someone you think is lower than you through yelling and stomping your feet unless this changed.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

????

Who was the manager?

Being a Karen is about asserting your dominance over someone you think is lower than you through yelling and stomping your feet unless this changed.

It’s about pulling the levers of institutional power to protect your ego/lifestyle by taking advantage of the privileged status that was granted to you by sheer luck

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Detective No. 27's post should probably be added to the OP because it nails everything perfectly. This cut should be the galvanizing moment for everyone. It's about restoring an artist's vision for the film. The one he shot and was happy to be the one folks saw. Your opinion of his films doesn't even matter in this context, this is the kind of poo poo that's a victory against studio interference and meddling. But it somehow became the worst thing to happen in the industry. This poo poo gets talked about with more serious and dire tones than Disney's output account for ~40% of the box office or them buying up everything.

Gosh.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

????

Who was the manager?

Karens are specifically white because there is another layer of utilizing their privilege while wallowing in being a victim.

The earliest Karens were white women playing victim and calling police on black people when they got the slightest bit of pushback because they trusted the institution to protect them being a white woman over a black person. It then kind of morphed into people who yelled about masks, which is kind of an offshoot since they think being a customer means the manager will automatically take their side over the worker, which you're referring more to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok fair enough.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

????

Who was the manager?

Uh, there was like half an episode of her hassling the desk personnel at that place that had Vision all chopped up until they had to call the manager

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I forgot most of the show lol.

Like I said it was OK at best. I just liked they left Wanda in a state of neither good nor evil. Gives room for fun stuff down the road maybe.

Or maybe not.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Are narcissists and sociopaths classified as good or evil? She seemed very unconcerned for the town every time she was told what she was doing was violating their innermost thoughts and actions of her hostages, and only finally let go when her lies were exposed to her loved ones (who had less of a reaction than Padme hearing about baby and women tuskens getting slaughtered).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno the people in the MCU tv thread were like “why isn’t she a hero” so idk

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Antiheroes aren't really a novel concept.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

McCloud posted:

Uh, there was like half an episode of her hassling the desk personnel at that place that had Vision all chopped up until they had to call the manager

It's not Karen behavior to call the manager. It's Karen behavior to call the manager because of some perceived slight that nobody else has a problem with. Just like it's not Karen behavior to call the cops, it's Karen behavior to call the cops over something that in no way effects you or yours.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fair

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sorry to be a pedant but I saw mansplaining totally ruined and I'm trying to keep Karen relevant!!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Antiheroes aren't really a novel concept.

Neither are aliens but i still like watching movies about them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I liked WandaVision but I also think the ending could have been handled better, particularly I think Monica should have put at least a token effort into getting Wanda to turn herself in, and I think the "they don't know what you gave up for them" line was especially dumb as an attempt to downplay the horror she unleashed on people

The Karen description is pretty funny tho, even if not 100% on the nose

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If Snyder did another solo Superman movie what would you want it to be?

I would love to see a Manchester Black and The Elite movie

Mister Mxyzptlk! Either that or Superman Smashes The Klan.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Agent Rush posted:

Mister Mxyzptlk! Either that or Superman Smashes The Klan.

Mxy is more of a b-plot villain than one who can carry a whole movie, imo.

In other news, a Variety interview with Ray Fisher and Joe italian surname just dropped

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...cial-type=owned

Some choice quotes:

quote:

You’d given up on Deathstroke, until being brought back for this new sequence in the Snyder Cut?

Manganiello: The second I let it go was when Zack called me and said, “Hey, I think if these things line up, then you’re going to get to play him again.” So you go back, you dust off that trunk, you open it and you go, “What would I have done, had I been given the chance to do more?”

But Ray, you didn’t let it go.

Fisher: No, not for a single day. No.

Manganiello: I had to for my own sanity. I was like, “I’m out. I can’t do this.”

Fisher: I probably should have let it go. But there was so much that we left behind in this version of the film. It’s a completely different movie.

quote:

But didn’t a lot of stuff change?

Fisher: There was a lot of stuff that changed, to be completely honest with you. I had to go back and reshoot every single scene I was in. None of this stuff that you see in the theatrical cut with me, except for the Gotham City police rooftop scene with J.K. Simmons, [is original]. Everything else I had to reshoot.

Manganiello: Whoa.

Fisher: Yeah. There was so much that was lost, man. It’s crazy because if it weren’t happening in this way, we may not be able to see everything that Zack had originally planned. This [new] thing is four hours long.

quote:

People are wondering, what exactly happened?

Fisher: There were some things that did not happen to me that I bore witness to, that I can’t speak about right now. That’s for the people that it happened to, to speak about. You could tell very quickly that [Whedon] was very upset that people did not like Age of Ultron very much. This is what I gathered from the first conversation that I had with him. There was a bit of this sort of egotistical narcissism that ended up going into everything that he was trying to do.

You can see it in some of the scenes that were produced. Flash falling on Wonder Woman’s [chest] is something that he yanked out of Age of Ultron and just copy-pasted here. In my first conversation creatively with him, he kept accidentally calling “Diana” “Natasha,” which is crazy stuff. [Note: For the unfamiliar, the real name of Marvel’s Black Widow is Natasha, and DC's Wonder Woman is Diana.] This was in the conversation that they made me have with him prior to giving me the script. There was a lot of belittling on set. There was a lot of mocking, both of previous work and of actors and people.

What do you mean? [Note: Throughout V.F.’s reporting on this project, Whedon’s representatives have repeatedly declined to comment.]

Fisher: He compared me at one point to Robert Downey Jr. And said, “Listen, I don’t like to take notes from anybody, not even Robert Downey Jr.” And I said, “Well, okay. Be that as it may…”

Big yikes at the Whedon stuff. There's also a nice contrast with how they describe Zack as inclusive and sharing, "like night and day". Worth a read, imo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bringing back the classic:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lmfao people thought this giant dumbass was an improvement because he wrote some lovely quips

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The age of ultron thing wowwww lmao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy crap calling Diana “Natasha”, remember when this guy was like the savior of every nerd property? What a joke

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This makes that Polygon article even loving stupider.

"Oh, you want the Snyder Cut of this movie? You're robbing other directors of the opportunity! Never mind the theatrical version was by Joss Whedon remaking his lovely Avengers movie because of Twitter"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hey Eugene, would you care to keep posting in the thread?

I was wondering if you could comment on some recent developments.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lmfao

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Seconded

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

more like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21ecW-imlE

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Burkion posted:

My main issue with it is that I'm pretty sure the writers thought she was the good guy, because they had Monica riding her dick the whole way through for absolutely zero reason. Including assuring her that, hey, don't worry, they just don't get you. If they knew what you gave up, they totally would have forgiven you for all the horrific poo poo you did to them without end for weeks

According to the writers and producers, you mistook their intentions.

“To those who wished a happier ending for Westview, “No, that’s not the story we’re telling, that now [Wanda] has to make everything OK,” Schaeffer says. “It wasn’t about landing her in a way where it’s like, ‘Everything’s wrapped up and squeaky clean, and she’s a hero and has done no wrong!’ She’s done a lot of wrong. And there will probably be reckonings down the line. No, I like how that’s in the gray area of misdeeds that she’s been involved in.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tvline.com/2021/03/09/wandavision-finale-people-of-westview-hostage-tortured/amp/

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 13, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Making one of the few female heroines in your major cape poo poo lineup straddle the lines of morality who does some terrible/supremely wrong poo poo and isn't really punished for doing said poo poo at the end of it all is some whack rear end writing.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

teagone posted:

Making one of the few female heroines in your major cape poo poo lineup straddle the lines of morality who does some terrible/supremely wrong poo poo and isn't really punished for doing said poo poo at the end of it all is some whack rear end writing.

Not sure why you feel there should only be male antiheroes, assuming you’re not against antiheroes completely. I mean Snyder Bat’s did all sorts of morally questionable things in BVS and we’re supposed to see him as a hero that lost his way for a bit, consequence free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

Not sure why you feel there should only be male antiheroes, assuming you’re not against antiheroes completely. I mean Snyder Bat’s did all sorts of morally questionable things in BVS and we’re supposed to see him as a hero that lost his way for a bit, consequence free.

I'm all for antiheroes; they're a great character archetype! But Wanda, again, being one of the rare heroines in a male dominated Avenger lineup, was written to essentially enslave innocents with her power, robbing them of their freewill as a means to process her grief, which itself comes across as an exploration of the super lame "crazy woman" trope. They should do better imo.