Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zodack posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on glue application for photo etch parts? I'm a gunpla guy mostly and picked up a photo etch sheet for one of my kits. Ordered some glue applicator syringes online but the tips were too wide - and I've read online that a narrower tip means you need a thinner glue?

personally I switched to soldering for connecting pe parts together. gluing them to the model I use super thin superglue applied by cutting the eye of a sewing needle to make a tiny glue loop applicator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I've tried and tried, but have never gotten the hang of soldering. So, I superglue all of my PE. I use liquid thin CA and a glue looper: http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html Works like a champ.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Dumb question about airbrushes: Are needles "universal"? In other words will a needle from one airbrush work in another? And can you buy a larger or smaller needle and put it in any airbrush or are airbrushes only designed for a specific size of needle?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

FiskTireBoy posted:

Dumb question about airbrushes: Are needles "universal"? In other words will a needle from one airbrush work in another? And can you buy a larger or smaller needle and put it in any airbrush or are airbrushes only designed for a specific size of needle?

Needles have different diameters and tapers between brands. There is some compatibility between airbrushes from the same factory, but for the most part assume that there isn't.

Needles are paired to the aircap and nozzles, not necessarily the airbrush body itself. There are usually conversion kits available depending on the airbrush though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I have several caps/nozzles/needles for my Paasche Talon and there are definitely some caps of nominally the same diameter that work better with some nozzles than others. Can't imagine transplanting a needle between different manufacturers.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Puddin posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a blower nozzle for a compressor so I can use it to clean keyboards and the like?

It's just your big standard compressor with quick adapter on it.

I prefer this type:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Adjustable-Extension-Pneumatic-Compressor/dp/B07RT4DYT6/ref=sr_1_21?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts

But, like MrYenko says, don't overthink it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gewehr 43 posted:

I've tried and tried, but have never gotten the hang of soldering. So, I superglue all of my PE. I use liquid thin CA and a glue looper: http://www.creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html Works like a champ.

the trick is getting one of this multi-alligator clasp stands to hold the parts together and to get soldering paste instead of wire and flux

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

That's perfect, thank you!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the trick is getting one of this multi-alligator clasp stands to hold the parts together and to get soldering paste instead of wire and flux

If you go this route, I recently bought a QuadHands magnetic helper and have been very happy with it. They're built like a tank, the flex arms are very strong, the bases of the arms are repositionable, and it comes in multiple configurations based on your needs. Infinitely better than those janky multi-joint pot-metal hobby helping-hands people have been using for years. Available from the company website, or Amazon

https://www.quadhands.com/collections/all

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have no opinions about the quad-hands deck, but gently caress a set of helping hands. Building a jig out of card or doing something dumb with bluetack is less of a pain than those things.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i bought some helping hands to help with soldering but the real pro move is to just get good at holding stuff in your fingers in crazy configurations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

i bought some helping hands to help with soldering but the real pro move is to just get good at holding stuff in your fingers in crazy configurations.

And scar yourself so you don’t feel the searing pain when the board heats up due to said soldering.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, I'm sure it doesn't affect anyone in this thread except me, but after a long run, Amazing Figure Modeler magazine will cease it's print run. Killed by Covid and it's effects on reduced newsstand distribution. It'll continue on as a digital publication for the time being, but we'll see how that goes. Kitbuilders mag did the same thing several years ago, and lasted all of one digital issue before it went bust.

Started back in 1995, it's remained one of the only mags dedicated to the garage kit industry, especially here in north america. It was a delight to get the glossy mag every few months, and see the amazing work artists all over the world had turned out, and the tips and tricks to pull off the same work. It always felt like a very personal magazine, as it was essentially run buy the same two guys since it's inception, and both contributed heavily to the content of each issue. I don't think I'll go in for the digital editions, as I hate reading these sort of "digital magazines" on the computer. It will be missed.

A few of my favorite covers from over the years.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

I haven't yet had a chance to do a proper photoshoot of this model because of time and my desire to add a matte clearcoat but I wanted to share it in its effectively 'done' form. It was a real blast to paint. I used Lincoln Wright's brush painted rust and chipped paint videos as guides, with the addition of some oil paint weathering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIw8gTJkJqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I5ZOO8CS8Y

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Matt_Alt/status/1373535715955384325?s=20

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That's awesome.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally finished the 1:3000 Yamato. At least finished it enough.

One down... Eight and a dockyard to go....

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I put on the road wheel tires on my Trumpeter Panzer IV kit, as far as I can tell they were the same sort of plastic that the rest of the kit is made from, just molded in black. After applying a wash to one side three of the tires ruptured! I've never had this happen before with any other kit. The wash was made with a pretty mild synthetic turpentoid, too, so I didn't think it would weaken the plastic at all.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Erupted, like cracked and fell apart? :ohdear:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

Erupted, like cracked and fell apart? :ohdear:

Cracked all the way through in one place. Since I made my last post another crack turned up and a fifth tire is showing strain in one place, so I expect it to crack later today.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know if there any scale model guns out there? I'm looking for something that needs assembly and painting. The only ones I've been able to find are already assembled.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know if there any scale model guns out there? I'm looking for something that needs assembly and painting. The only ones I've been able to find are already assembled.

I don't think there's anything like that for modern guns, at least as far as mainstream kits go. You might be able to find something like that on the 3D printing sites though.

If you mean stuff like cannons or other antiquated weapons of war then there is quite a large niche of the hobby dedicated to that.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Here is one in 1/3rd scale.

And my dad had/has full scale models of a Luger and a 1911 so I know they are out there but no idea what brand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A 1:1 Mauser C-96 kit exists but is extremely difficult to get for obvious reasons.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Molentik posted:

Here is one in 1/3rd scale.

And my dad had/has full scale models of a Luger and a 1911 so I know they are out there but no idea what brand.

That's exactly what I was looking for thanks! I was looking for something in that scale as I don't want it to be mistaken for the real thing.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

A 1:1 Mauser C-96 kit exists but is extremely difficult to get for obvious reasons.

I'm in the US so it's probably easier for me to get the real thing lol

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Charliegrs posted:

Yes, there's a company called 4D MODEL that makes 1/6 scale kits of a variety of guns, I generally find them on Aliexpress where you can get sets for good prices. They're not the most complicated kits, but you do get to assemble and paint them yourself.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 29, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Do ya like Galaxy Quest?

https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Nebulizer-Pistol-Communicator-Full-Scale/dp/B00A6ULI3C

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Here's a terrible scalemates search that has a bunch - https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=All&q=*+1%3A1.
Most look way old and way out of print.

I had this LS Walther Model 9 at some point in the 80's https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ls-p503-600-walther-model-9--1317665. It was supposedly fully working, if you could get it to stay together.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

MarxCarl posted:

I had this LS Walther Model 9 at some point in the 80's https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ls-p503-600-walther-model-9--1317665. It was supposedly fully working, if you could get it to stay together.

Why is that giant gun aimed at tiny casual Carl Sagan?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

What are the reasons? Maybe my American is showing but I'm drawing a complete blank.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What are the reasons? Maybe my American is showing but I'm drawing a complete blank.

The C-96 is the gun they built Han Solo's blaster on. So it's constantly bought by nerds looking to make their own

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cthulu Carl posted:

The C-96 is the gun they built Han Solo's blaster on. So it's constantly bought by nerds looking to make their own

Derrrrp, I got my years confused and was picturing a totally different gun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

My dad picked up a 1:1 1911 from some Japanese manufacturer back in the 80s. He likely still has it, I can see if he can tell me who made it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Shoei used to make a lot of 1:1 replicas of WWII firearms. I could be wrong, but I think some were static models and others were airsoft.

Like this: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/shoei-g43-gbbr.html

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know if Trumpeter makes any other 1:3 scale guns besides the M16? I would love to do a Garand model or Thompson Submachine gun. I don't want a 1:1 model I don't want it mistaken for the real thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gewehr 43 posted:

Shoei used to make a lot of 1:1 replicas of WWII firearms. I could be wrong, but I think some were static models and others were airsoft.

Like this: https://www.redwolfairsoft.com/shoei-g43-gbbr.html

Why is that airsoft rifle almost as much as a legitimate G43?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Airsoft stuff is regularly more expensive than real guns are, particularly for less popular guns.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

MrYenko posted:

Why is that airsoft rifle almost as much as a legitimate G43?

Nazi tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The decals I ordered in July last year from Spain that didn't get sent till Feburary have finally landed in the country. I'll have to pick up another kit to make the car though cause the kit that I bought the decals for has been finished in a different livery. I know covid has made things tricky but I didn't expect them to take quite this long to get here.