Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Nonexistence posted:

This was great. If vigilantes is ever animated I want him to move and sound like an air hockey puck.

Yeah, this chapter makes me bummed there's no Vigilantes anime. Kochi's quirk would look so cool animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's cool to see how far Koichi has come.

Proud of him :unsmith:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's cool to see how far Koichi has come.

Proud of him :unsmith:

He's such a fun character, great sense of movement even in panels

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vigilanties is helped tremendously by having a main character with a personality and a supporting cast that isn't overshadowed so often.

Could have done without the "We make the guys who literally attempted to gang rape a teenage girl and broadcast it on the internet into good guys" thing though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

Could have done without the "We make the guys who literally attempted to gang rape a teenage girl and broadcast it on the internet into good guys" thing though.

Yeah, that still makes me wonder what the gently caress. Considering the discourse around Bakugo and Endeavor, I can only wonder how the anime crowd would react to this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, that still makes me wonder what the gently caress. Considering the discourse around Bakugo and Endeavor, I can only wonder how the anime crowd would react to this.

I assume it's one of those "the first (x) chapters of a manga don't really establish what the rest of the manga will be like" thing but still. I would only hope a anime adaptation would tone it down a bit. It's probably the hardest hurdle to overcome to recommend Vigilantes to someone who likes MHA because the first couple of chapters come across like "This is my Grimdark MHA Fanfic with rape and murder and scantly clad teenage girls and vigilantes" instead of what the rest of the manga is about which is casual Quirk society. (Though still + scantly clad teenage girls admittedly.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, could a Vigilantes anime even conceivably run in the same block as MHA without massive edits? Even by Japanese censorship standards it seems a little less kid friendly than the main series (though even that gets a bit dark at times), especially early on

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The body horror of Queen Bee would probably be better suited to a different timeslot, if not just...animating it as a batch and dropping it on Netflix between seasons

Also, where did Nana's sleeves go in 305?
In 304, her arms are covered when Deku arrives, but at the start of 305, she's sleeveless

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 12, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, could a Vigilantes anime even conceivably run in the same block as MHA without massive edits? Even by Japanese censorship standards it seems a little less kid friendly than the main series (though even that gets a bit dark at times), especially early on

I think so to be honest. It's violent but a lot of the violence is intentionally obscured. It's why everyone has hair over the Queen Bee Eye and such. Honestly I suspect a bigger problem might be all the drat smoking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’ll get back to you once we see how they handle the scene where a kid melts his parents, sister and dog

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’ll get back to you once we see how they handle the scene where a kid melts his parents, sister and dog

Yeah, the League vs Liberation Army arc is probably more violent than anything that happens in Vigilantes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which should happen during the upcoming season no less (that scene was from My Villain Academia right?)

There’s also Mirko getting her arm ripped off a bit later on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Shigaraki breakdown is probably gonna be a lot of dark silhouettes, which is too bad because I'd have it be at least as gruesome as the (relatively obscured) manga version. Like the whole thing that made that memorable is that it's a shockingly violent scene even given the arc it was in which was the most violent arc in the series already at that time.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It's also why Shiggy is irredeemable. Sorry kid, corgis are strict liability. Not my fault, it's cosmic law, take it up with the doge upstairs.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What I really like about this chapter is that it's not just a fight between Crawler and the Pros, but it's also the Pros trying to convince Koichi to leave it up to them, they can handle this and by successfully evading them, even a pair of top ranked heroes, Koichi is basically proving that they can't. If all these pros can't capture one vigilante, how can he trust them to keep Pop safe?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SpacePig posted:

This can really only be leading to Knuckleduster's return. I'm worried, but excited. I'm enjoying the main MHA story well enough, but I look forward to Vigilantes way more

Yeah there’s no way Koichi can get away from Eraser on his own.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Yeah there’s no way Koichi can get away from Eraser on his own.

he could just walk away and turn a corner, eraser is actually a terrible choice to capture someone with a speed quirk who doesn't want to fight

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elfgames posted:

he could just walk away and turn a corner, eraser is actually a terrible choice to capture someone with a speed quirk who doesn't want to fight

Yeah, doesn’t Eraser’s quirk require him to be in direct eye contact with the target? All Koichi needs to do is keep low and blitz past him

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yeah, doesn’t Eraser’s quirk require him to be in direct eye contact with the target? All Koichi needs to do is keep low and blitz past him

I don't think it's eye contact, he just needs to look at them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think people are forgetting Eraserhead is also an expert martial artist and extremely skilled at grabbing and restraining people with that thing he wears around his neck.

Which is understandable since it's been a while since that came up in the main series.

And yeah, he only needs to be looking at your body to disable your powers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, forgot about that. Yeah, kid’s probably gonna need some help here.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
iirc Eraserhead needs to see any part of a person's body to disable their quirk, but isn't Koichi normally all covered up? Well, except his eyes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, I don't meant to rag on the main series but Vigilantes chapters like that really capture something that I haven't felt from it in a long-rear end time if ever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only thing that bugs me about Vigilantes is the parts of it where it interacts with the main series cast because with the main series centering around UA and world-tier threats the pro hero cast is almost entirely top-tier heroes. They sent two top-10 heroes to catch this vigilante?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that’s the weird thing. Why are they sending the top heroes after a single kid whose only crime (as far as I remember anyway) is vigilantism? You’d think they’d have bigger issues to deal with at the moment.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The only thing that bugs me about Vigilantes is the parts of it where it interacts with the main series cast because with the main series centering around UA and world-tier threats the pro hero cast is almost entirely top-tier heroes. They sent two top-10 heroes to catch this vigilante?

Well remember, this is shorty after the city was bombed for the second times, as well as after a villain attacked a police officer in their own station. The cops and Pros are still in the dark and they believe that Koichi might be able to help them figure out what's going on. They know something bigger is going on here, but Koichi is their only real lead right now.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Do we actually know their ranks? They're top ranked eventually, but since this is earlier in the timeline I've sort of assumed that most of them aren't there yet.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The main series has wandered into power level escalation / stakes level escalation hell. Midoriya has the full weight of society/japan/the world on his shoulders but is still a child.

Koichi is a young adult and only needs to save his girlfriend from one villain with a stolen quirk, and Koichi has multiple supportive friends assisting him.

Vigilantes is just more focused, personal and relatable.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Yeah I'm basically of the opinion vigilantes is far better, especially if it ends soon.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Vigilantes has the best lizard boy as well, who in a similar vein is just hanging with his friends and being a doofus, instead of aiding the world's most dangerous monster.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that’s the weird thing. Why are they sending the top heroes after a single kid whose only crime (as far as I remember anyway) is vigilantism? You’d think they’d have bigger issues to deal with at the moment.

Think of it as a companion piece to Hero Academia. We're seeing what happens when people who aren't Koichi decide to go ham with their powers: A guy with loud soap bubbles tried to rob a family restaurant, and the owner responded by flattening several buildings, and then the even worse crime of throwing a can at Woshua. This is the state monopoly on violence: it's one thing if a criminal does bad things, but if a normal citizen thinks they can use their own talents without asking permission? Oh, that's a problem.

Of course, this means the police, the heroes, and the government are incentivized to take the threat posed by the kid who helps drunks read the train schedule much more seriously than the superspeed bee body stealing mass murderer, who doesn't make them look bad. Heck, having bee murderers is good for their budgets! The more bee murderers there are, the more the public supports law enforcement.

The Peerless Thief Oji Harima was right.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This is also before the main series starts. There is no League of Villains or Stain and All Might is still handling things well. Koichi might actually be the most exciting thing happening right now.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The heroes have no idea who the super speed killer is. The only people who have actually seen him are Pop(in a coma), Knuckleduster(MIA), and Koichi(on the run). Koichi is the only person who might be able to shed some light on what's going on, which is why the pros are after him.

2 O'clock also murdered a few heroes during the last bombing(RIP Compass Kid), as well as bombed the police station when one of the detectives got close to the truth, so the Pro and police are probably desperate for any leads right now.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 13, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Think of it as a companion piece to Hero Academia. We're seeing what happens when people who aren't Koichi decide to go ham with their powers: A guy with loud soap bubbles tried to rob a family restaurant, and the owner responded by flattening several buildings, and then the even worse crime of throwing a can at Woshua. This is the state monopoly on violence: it's one thing if a criminal does bad things, but if a normal citizen thinks they can use their own talents without asking permission? Oh, that's a problem.

Of course, this means the police, the heroes, and the government are incentivized to take the threat posed by the kid who helps drunks read the train schedule much more seriously than the superspeed bee body stealing mass murderer, who doesn't make them look bad. Heck, having bee murderers is good for their budgets! The more bee murderers there are, the more the public supports law enforcement.

The Peerless Thief Oji Harima was right.

I can't believe the PLF is full of goons.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Vigilantes has the best lizard boy as well, who in a similar vein is just hanging with his friends and being a doofus, instead of aiding the world's most dangerous monster.
If you're talking about the lizard guy that's in Koga's crew that means he's part of the gang that was going to (charitably) rip then middle-schooler Pop Step's clothes off and photograph/humiliate her or (uncharitably) rape her. Granted the first 2-3 chapters of Vigilantes was it not having much focus and bouncing to like two different magazines but it never retconned that. poo poo, Pop I think literally calls Koga a wannabe rapist repeatedly after it settled down until Koga and crew finally got written as getting their poo poo together and risked their lives trying to help a bunch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's also worth noting that the Pro Heroes are not like the Justice League and called out only for world-danger threats. The main series has kind of devolved into that but they spend a lot of their time responding to smaller situation. It's part of why they have whole agencies and sidekicks and such. "There is a rogue quirk user who is resisting arrest in connection with information on two extremely dangerous bombing attempts" is exactly the sort of thing they normally handled.We're used to seeing one of them showing up being a Big loving Deal because the main series is only Big loving Deals at this point but being a Top 10 also means you're handling a whole lot of 'lesser' crimes too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 13, 2021

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's also worth noting that the Pro Heroes are not like the Justice League and called out only for world-danger threats. The main series has kind of devolved into that but they spend a lot of their time responding to smaller situation. It's part of why they have whole agencies and sidekicks and such. "There is a rogue quirk user who is resisting arrest in connection with information on two extremely dangerous bombing attempts" is exactly the sort of thing they normally handled.

That explains Edgeshot, certainly. Best Jeanist, Ingenium, and Eraserhead really should know better.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Ingenium, at the least, was trying to talk to Koichi and convince him to let them take over. Not exactly treating him like the bad guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

That explains Edgeshot, certainly. Best Jeanist, Ingenium, and Eraserhead really should know better.

It seems pretty clear they want to actually help him avoid getting into a worse situation considering all three of them know he's saved a whole lot of lives on more than one occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Flesnolk posted:

Ingenium, at the least, was trying to talk to Koichi and convince him to let them take over. Not exactly treating him like the bad guy.

He was certainly crossing the Ts and dotting the Is, but his attempt to talk Koichi down falls a little flat. He knew Koichi wouldn't believe him and he had set up an elaborate trap involving a dozen sidekicks and shutting down a major street to capture him. Who would believe a pro hero who says they want to talk, if they have a history of crap like that?

Meanwhile Beat Jeanist acknowledged Koichi's concerns: That the cops and heroes are inadequate to the situation. He tries to prove that he's capable of protecting Pop Step by capturing Koichi, which... sure, why not, he's got an ideology he can put to the test. But when he's unable to capture Koichi, he doesn't take it as evidence that he couldn't protect Pop Step. He and Edgeshot assume they're in the right, and any evidence to the contrary is discarded without concern. The villain he was facing was just too irrational, too desperate, to realize that the pro heroes should be trusted unconditionally.

Eraserhead: We'll see I guess? His heroic standards included not arresting small time crooks and instead keeping an eye on them at their cat cafe, which is admirable and cool.

Anyway the pro heroes are bad and crime fighting should instead be handled by local community members who are best able to...

...oh no. The criminal in question was trying to rob a cash register.