Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Things are just a little different around here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
While nobody was looking, Dark Horse started producing Avatar comic books starting this year.

Gotta say, did not expect the lore to include Giant Big-Head Men.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/avatar-surprise-re-release-china

:monocle:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Trying to take it back from endgame?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think it's a great idea to just keep releasing the movie you've already got rather than make a new movie and disappointing everyone.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Royal Updog posted:

Instead of being paraplegic, Jake Sully has now been crucified and in all of his scenes walks around with a cross still nailed to his hands.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

steinrokkan posted:

Instead of being paraplegic, Jake Sully has now been crucified and in all of his scenes walks around with a cross still nailed to his hands.

I don’t think Zack is capable of that much subtlety

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Royal Updog posted:

Jake Sully's CGI avatar is replaced by Jim Caviezel in blue paint and on stilts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

UPDATE:
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1370473601409880064?s=20

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think that you shouldn't be allowed to re-release the film and then add the money you earned from it onto your old release money unless you haven't yet spent any of the first releases revenue.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Put your money where your mouth is and all that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

reignofevil posted:

I think that you shouldn't be allowed to re-release the film and then add the money you earned from it onto your old release money unless you haven't yet spent any of the first releases revenue.

This would probably move Gone With the Wind down from the "adjusted for inflation" top spot and we can't have that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I don't know why but that particular shot of the sexy cat man, among the many common avatar screencaps, really fuckin sets off my uncanny valley vibes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

makes my uncanny valley feel something, not sure we’re taking about the same exact sensation tho

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't know why but that particular shot of the sexy cat man, among the many common avatar screencaps, really fuckin sets off my uncanny valley vibes.

I deliberately linked the tweet instead of the article so you’d see that thumbnail with that magnificent smile without even clicking :shepface:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

*James Cameron puts another 100 in the blue catboy banana hammock*

We're going back to the top, baby!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I see you, Jamescameron.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1370782458870960138

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
In 2035 we're gonna be walking through the holo-theater past Avatar, Avatar 2, Avengers Infinty-Endgame Double Feature, Goldeneye Rerelease and then we'll finally get to the screen way in the back of the hall where sometimes we see new movies.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That just proves everyone wants to get off this planet and gently caress.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Invalid Validation posted:

everyone wants to get off this planet and gently caress.

Maybe Avatar was Star Trek this whole time.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
is avatar 2 going to be more or less horny

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think the only hope that it shatters more box office records than avatar 1 is if they double or even triple down on horny.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I heard it's a pretty blue movie.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/james-cameron-threatened-fire-avatar-2-writers-1234627393/

quote:

“When I sat down to write the sequels, I knew there were going to be three at the time and eventually it turned into four, I put together a group of writers and said, ‘I don’t want to hear anybody’s new ideas or anyone’s pitches until we have spent some time figuring out what worked on the first film, what connected, and why it worked,'” Cameron continued. “They kept wanting to talk about the new stories. I said, ‘We aren’t doing that yet.’ Eventually I had to threaten to fire them all because they were doing what writers do, which is to try and create new stories. I said, ‘We need to understand what the connection was and protect it, protect that ember and that flame.'”

Narrator: The connection was horny blue cats

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The first film worked?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's still one of the better Blockbusters of the 2010s

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It is going to receive an NC-17 rating for unsimulated, motion-captured penetration.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess all things being equal, James is at least honest that he's always been a money guy first and a filmmaker second.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I guess all things being equal, James is at least honest that he's always been a money guy first and a filmmaker second.

if theres somebody, anybody left in the hollywood blockbuster system who can be called an actual filmmaker, its cameron, lol

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
He's roger corman school, so he's very aware of the money without necessarily being driven by it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

It is going to receive an NC-17 rating for unsimulated, motion-captured penetration.

UNDERWATER unsimulated, motion-captured penetration.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
What was the part of Avatar that helped it sell all of those tickets?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

reignofevil posted:

What was the part of Avatar that helped it sell all of those tickets?

Hype and 3D movies being a fad at the time.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
That was what I was afraid someone would say!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It being the first real made-from-ground-up-for-3D movie is the only reason I saw it in the cinema twice. Those cats looked cool yo

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/GermainLussier/status/1392142771587190788?s=19

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Was browsing through the Avatar wiki again when I noticed that there were now new pages on human naval craft, which hadn't existed before (we never see any human ships or boats in the first movie), so I went to those pages and checked out the links in the references section.

Looks like Vietnam style boats. Is that a harpoon gun? Guess either 1. we get to follow the movie from a human perspective (NOT from the traitor! I mean someone loyal to humanity!) and there is going to be a scene where they have an encounter against a big ocean monster (giant whale, giant shark, giant manta-ray, whatever). OR 2. these guys are supposed to be the antagonists, and this is a combat scene between Sully and the Na'vi against the humans (maybe Sully and the Na'vi are riding ocean creatures as mounts?).

Apparently the big boat is called "Matador" and the smaller boat is called "Picador", and they're carried by a mother ship called "Sea Dragon". Is this mothership flying, like the Dragon gunship from the first movie? A flying carrier that carries sea going boats... that's a first. Or is this some sort of Tuatha de Danann style submarine mothership?

Now this is pretty exciting. An underwater mecha called "the Crabsuit". Reminds me of the Cancer underwater mechas from Gundam Wing! And it can fold up! Maybe the RDA will get smart and camouflage it to look like rocks, so we can get a scene where Na'vi pass by... and then behind them, a rock starts moving and sneaking up on them from behind.

Concept art for the second film stickied to the Avatar twitter page. Seems like the Na'vi do indeed get underwater mounts. Strangely, it doesn't appear that there is a nerve queue at the back of the creature's head for the Na'vi to link up with. I also have to question HOW the Na'vi are supposed to breathe while riding these things underwater. In the first film, when Jake was trying to run away from the Thanator, he leaped down a waterfall, and he evidently wasn't able to breathe underwater and had to surface for air. So... what? Have the water tribes invented some sort of rebreather?

This is a new RDA facility called "Bridgehead". It seems that this place might be underwater? There is another image that depicts the new RDA chief here, so this implies that this is the HQ of the humans in the sequel.

These soldiers are clearly fighting against hostiles in a human base, which seems to imply that the Na'vi are travelling to the humans and trying to kill them inside their own habitats. Alternatively, the humans may be trying to reclaim their base from the first film, in which case that would suggest that the Na'vi or alien wildlife has taken up residence in the abandoned facility.

In the first picture with Cameron, we see a tank for storing an Avatar doll. In the second picture, we see pods for human pilots to sit in so they can remote control Avatar dolls. These sets were constructed for the second film, so it would appear that we will have human-avatar pilots. I'm guessing either 1. these new avatars are the protagonists, once again trying to diplomatically broker a peace with neighboring tribes, or 2. the movie will take place from Jake's view. These Avatars are going to pose as travelling Na'vi and join up with Jake's group, and then halfway through the movie we're going to get the reveal that they are actually avatar spies for the RDA.

In the second image, notice the control tower?/bridge in the top left. It has a rather strange slant going down behind it. This might not be a grounded control tower, but might actually be the bridge of a ship. This might be the Sea Dragon mothership that was mentioned earlier.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

A... trailer? :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axmg1E4HrVE
(video game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
James Cameron's Avatar is back! In video game form.