Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kevin Smith is not my favorite director but he seems like a good guy overall. He's really passionate about this stuff and it can be a bit infectious.

I'm pretty sure he lives or lived in one of Affleck's former houses that he bought from Affleck on the cheap. I used to listen to smodcast years ago. I'm glad they're talking again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looking forward to him posting how he cried at the end of this too.

His latest films since like Yoga Hosers have been absolute unwatchable garbage but his old stuff and even Red State were really good. He's a good dude and I was happy to see him live in person. The Smodcast about going back in time and sucking your own dick had me in stitches.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Oh man, the crying. He cries constantly. It's endearing but not great audio. He's more than a bit obsessed with Batman, and pretty drat obsessed with Affleck. It's a very lopsided relationship, but I think that's no surprise.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

roffels posted:

I don't care at all for Kevin Smith's films, but can listen to him geek out on just about anything. I can't think of anyone better to host.

He's a charismatic host with excellent energy, yeah.

well why not posted:

Oh man, the crying. He cries constantly. It's endearing but not great audio. He's more than a bit obsessed with Batman, and pretty drat obsessed with Affleck. It's a very lopsided relationship, but I think that's no surprise.

If you aren't obsessed with Batfleck that's on you, buddy :colbert:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish Dogma was available to stream or buy digitally anywhere.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I wish Dogma was available to stream or buy digitally anywhere.

It's weird how some really well-known stuff has fallen through the cracks. George Romero's Dawn of the Dead and Pink Floyd's The Wall aren't available either. I don't even think The Wall has had a physical release since the early 2000s.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently Dogma comes down to the rights to the movie being personally owned by the Weinsteins, and with all the current distribution deals lapsed, someone would need to actively seek out a business deal with Harvey Weinstein to get the movie released again.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, because Disney didn’t want to put it out thanks to the controversy it had raised, the Weinsteins bought the movie out and took it to Lionsgate to get it released instead of under Miramax as intended. I think Smith considers it something of a lost movie at this point.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
If only that would happen to rest of his films! :wal::stat:

I like clerks and chasing Amy for what they are

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Try not suck any dick on the way to the parking lot!

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
Just chiming in to say that yesterday I finally watched the ultimate edition of BvS to recap before next week. While I was thoroughly underwhelmed when I first saw the movie's theater cut, this version really improved the quality of the movie. Way more than I could've even hoped. Doomsday still kind of sucked but apart from that, it was a solid movie.

I still think that the initial viewing kind of set the tone and my expectations towards DCCU from high to (really) low, but goddamn I'm hyped. Bring on the ZSJL, my body is ready.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

Try not suck any dick on the way to the parking lot!

You're not the boss of me

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Apparently Dogma comes down to the rights to the movie being personally owned by the Weinsteins, and with all the current distribution deals lapsed, someone would need to actively seek out a business deal with Harvey Weinstein to get the movie released again.

Yeah, Smith also told a story once about how, right before all the Weinstein poo poo went down, Harvey called him and asked if he'd be interested in doing a Dogma 2. Smith said, sure, he'd love to! So he started coming up with some ideas. Then, like a week later, all the poo poo hit the fan with all the accusations and stories and all that. Then a friend called Smith and said Harvey had called him too about making a sequel to one of his movies. It seems Harvey had been checking in to see, "Who his friends were" or something like that. To which Smith said, "Well gently caress that." Not that Harvey called him back after that.

Harvey Weinstein owns Dogma, and until he dies, no one is gonna touch it, and Smith isn't even gonna try because any effort would give Harvey more money, so why even bother.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope I have my DVD somewhere - the commentary track on that is so loving good. They really loved Rickman. From what I am reading the blu's aren't really jampacked which sucks.

gently caress DVD - one of the best openers to a commentary (from Chasing Amy I believe).

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxyq1ztPib4

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's a moment on the Mall Rats commentary where Ben Affleck talks about when he roomed with Kevin Smith and was sleeping on the couch while Smith and Joey Lauren Adams (Smith's gf at the time) engaged in loud "adult activities" and it's as funny as anything in the movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I once heard from a VFX producer on Man of Steel that they mocked up the Superman/Zod fight with Goku and Vegeta models.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a moment on the Mall Rats commentary where Ben Affleck talks about when he roomed with Kevin Smith and was sleeping on the couch while Smith and Joey Lauren Adams (Smith's gf at the time) engaged in loud "adult activities" and it's as funny as anything in the movie.

All Smith commentaries are great, because it's a bunch of friends shooting the poo poo. There's a moment, I think also on the Mallrats one, where it's a slow moment in the movie (I think when they go to see the psychic?) and they start talking about what they all did that weekend, dates they went on and stuff, and Affleck says something like, "Man, you know it's a down part of the movie when everyone starts asking, 'Did anybody get laid?'"

There are insightful commentaries, and there are fun commentaries. I tend to prefer the latter, and Smith commentaries are definitely those. Thought I guess I haven't listened to a commentary in like a decade. Are they still a thing in streaming services? I guess probably. iTunes still has extras, I just never click over to them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Quick story to show how reliable Grace Randolph is: she claimed she had it confirmed by sources that Kathleen Kennedy was going to be pushed out of Lucasfilm. When this didn't happen and Kennedys contract got renewed, Randolph claimed that while Disney wanted her to go, they were unable to find anyone to take over so they had no choice but to re-sign her.

Consider how ridiculous that idea is. That in Hollywood, a town noted for ruthless personal politics, they 'couldn't find' anyone who wanted to take over at Lucasfilm.

Basically she appeals to the crowd who tweet at Rian Johnson years later.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

X-posting
In other news, a Variety interview with Ray Fisher and Joe italian surname just dropped

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...cial-type=owned

Some choice quotes:

quote:

You’d given up on Deathstroke, until being brought back for this new sequence in the Snyder Cut?

Manganiello: The second I let it go was when Zack called me and said, “Hey, I think if these things line up, then you’re going to get to play him again.” So you go back, you dust off that trunk, you open it and you go, “What would I have done, had I been given the chance to do more?”

But Ray, you didn’t let it go.

Fisher: No, not for a single day. No.

Manganiello: I had to for my own sanity. I was like, “I’m out. I can’t do this.”

Fisher: I probably should have let it go. But there was so much that we left behind in this version of the film. It’s a completely different movie.

quote:

But didn’t a lot of stuff change?

Fisher: There was a lot of stuff that changed, to be completely honest with you. I had to go back and reshoot every single scene I was in. None of this stuff that you see in the theatrical cut with me, except for the Gotham City police rooftop scene with J.K. Simmons, [is original]. Everything else I had to reshoot.

Manganiello: Whoa.

Fisher: Yeah. There was so much that was lost, man. It’s crazy because if it weren’t happening in this way, we may not be able to see everything that Zack had originally planned. This [new] thing is four hours long.

quote:

People are wondering, what exactly happened?

Fisher: There were some things that did not happen to me that I bore witness to, that I can’t speak about right now. That’s for the people that it happened to, to speak about. You could tell very quickly that [Whedon] was very upset that people did not like Age of Ultron very much. This is what I gathered from the first conversation that I had with him. There was a bit of this sort of egotistical narcissism that ended up going into everything that he was trying to do.

You can see it in some of the scenes that were produced. Flash falling on Wonder Woman’s [chest] is something that he yanked out of Age of Ultron and just copy-pasted here. In my first conversation creatively with him, he kept accidentally calling “Diana” “Natasha,” which is crazy stuff. [Note: For the unfamiliar, the real name of Marvel’s Black Widow is Natasha, and DC's Wonder Woman is Diana.] This was in the conversation that they made me have with him prior to giving me the script. There was a lot of belittling on set. There was a lot of mocking, both of previous work and of actors and people.

What do you mean? [Note: Throughout V.F.’s reporting on this project, Whedon’s representatives have repeatedly declined to comment.]

Fisher: He compared me at one point to Robert Downey Jr. And said, “Listen, I don’t like to take notes from anybody, not even Robert Downey Jr.” And I said, “Well, okay. Be that as it may…”

Big yikes at the Whedon stuff. There's also a nice contrast with how they describe Zack as inclusive and sharing, "like night and day". Worth a read, imo

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

McCloud posted:

X-posting
In other news, a Variety interview with Ray Fisher and Joe italian surname just dropped

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...cial-type=owned

Big yikes at the Whedon stuff. There's also a nice contrast with how they describe Zack as inclusive and sharing, "like night and day". Worth a read, imo

The whole parallel "character falls onto a woman's chest" shot thing is just all kinds of ick.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

hiddenriverninja posted:

The whole parallel "character falls onto a woman's chest" shot thing is just all kinds of ick.

It just reeks of someone telling a joke, nobody laughing, and them telling it again louder.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 13, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Age of Ultron made buckets of money and was positively received for the most part, which makes that chip on his shoulder all the more weird. You'd think breaking 1 billion on two different movies as a middling TV director would soothe his ego.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Age of Ultron made buckets of money and was positively received for the most part, which makes that chip on his shoulder all the more weird. You'd think breaking 1 billion on two different movies as a middling TV director would soothe his ego.

That film has a 75% on RT. What on earth.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, but he got made fun of on Twitter by people going "What the gently caress" at Black Widow calling herself a monster for not being able to have kids

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol at Whedon repeatedly referring to Diana as Natasha.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roth posted:

Yeah, but he got made fun of on Twitter by people going "What the gently caress" at Black Widow calling herself a monster for not being able to have kids

The best one was “baloney man”

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Reminder that Whedon quit twitter over the (comparatively mild at this point) reaction towards Age of Ultron.

I mean it's for the best that he's off twitter and all, but what a babyman. Everything Ray Fisher says rings true because of that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol at Whedon repeatedly referring to Diana as Natasha.

He was so close to getting his own Wonder Woman movie at one point and he can't even remember her name.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

And we were told she was his favorite character in the movie too (or more accurately, the only character he didn't hate).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mixing up the names was probably his sad attempt at trying to appear quirky to the cast/crew or some stupid rear end bullshit like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat this got me hyped. I'm gonna be reading nothing but Jack Kirby New Gods books til this thing comes out.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ray Fisher, the Patron Saint of the Snyder Cut movement, has now officially seen the film

https://twitter.com/theSNYDERVERSE/status/1370566044243398656?s=20

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1370571890432094210?s=20

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I am very excited

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man, compare and contrast to when he was promoting the Whedon version and could barely bring himself to say it was fine

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, he's so freaking excited!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

Man, he's so freaking excited!

Man, I'm just thinking about how much it sucked for him for the past 3 years, like

If you get hired for a supporting star role for a $1bn-rear end movie, that opens doors for you. He would have been on contract for 3 JL films plus supporting roles for Flash and whoever. Then he would have had his pick of projects and contracts. What's more, JL 1 was supposed to have a focus on your performance--like MoS was Cavill's, and BvS was Affleck's.

Instead the director you liked got muscled out, your entire character arc got deleted, you had to reshoot 75% of the thing under a guy with a chip on his shoulder and a hate boner for everything, everybody else shuffle off and more or less land on their feet, and then you get blackballed for even pointing this poo poo out.

If #ReleaseTheSnyderCut had a main character, it's him.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 13, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just love that Zack had the idea to make JL3 into Mad Max style cape poo poo with Ben Affleck and Will Smith. I want that movie so loving bad.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Roth posted:

He also makes Black Widow a team sex mommy in Age of Ultron just like he does with Wonder Woman in JL. Natasha is both the romantic interest of the Hulk in that film and also literally sings lullabies to him. The same Hero in the previously film who tries to kill Natasha and is weirdly framed as backhanding her. LIke go back to that Avengers first movie. The Hulk doesn't try to smash her. The Hulk takes his open hand up and is clearly about to just backslap her before Thor saves her. poo poo is bizarre.

I think there are a lot of critiques on gender to be made about Snyder's work, but the simple idea that Wonder Woman has joy in being a warrior just makes her such a better character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Itssan17/status/1370758248589107202?s=19

This ad has OMEGA BEAMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This ad has OMEGA BEAMS

Still debating watching Josstice League this week for maximum shock and awe when experiencing ZSJL. These ads just keep making it look more and more impressive.