Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You're right. I'm distracted right now and got things mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Also apparently Ace has what is probably the quietest idle breathing noise. Bill is among the worst. Otz did a pretty interesting video on that last month, and also looked at the camouflage options. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsmXuzal1Kk

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Who do you all think is the scariest/most genuinely spooky Killer to play against (i.e., you actually feel something playing against them)?

For me, it has to be Huntress with Oni in close second. There's something genuinely unnerving about how constant her humming is and how her singing and running animation seems to imply that killing Survivors is about as ordinary and mundane as chopping wood.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As a Myers main, I'm hoping scratched mirror Myers :v:

Spookiest from the games I play as survivor is probably Oni, there's something about being chased and just hearing him freak the absolute gently caress out in rage behind me that makes my butthole clench.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blight that can actually flick and stuff, he's just like a hell pinball of murder and sunny delight.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been playing Leatherface a lot to get BBQ and Chili as a Teachable Perk and have been enjoying the challenge of rounding corners while revving the chainsaw to hit Survivors, being careful not to touch walls etc. as well as the ludicrous amount of Bloodpoints from BBQ and Chili.

Two questions, though:

1.) Should you be using the Chainsaw Dash to help traverse across the map whenever you have 3 stacks but don't see a Survivor or just save it for only when you see a Survivor or have a sure idea of where you're heading? The thing I hate about good Survivors is that they seem to knock out multiple generators in succession, so by the time I manage to actually chase down a Survivor (assuming they're not an expert at leading me on a wild goose chase at a house loop and wasting my time) and hook them we're already at 2/3 generators remaining. :sigh:

2.) How can you avoid the urge to camp the area trying to bait Survivors into unhooking their friend? If the gates are ready to be open/already open, overconfident Survivors to try to lead me away from the hook so they can swoop in for the unhook, leave, then teabag at the gates and say "zzz too easy"; but if I patrol the area (i.e. not just facecamping) or pretend to be distracted with following another Survivor then abruptly double-back to hit another Survivor based on prediction I get accused of being a "noob camper".

So... What is the ideal honorable way to play Leatherface in that sort of situation, then? :confused:

My current perks are BBQ and Chili/Whispers/Deerstalker/Bitter Murmur btw. It's been a pretty effective perk set in most cases, but I desperately need some kind of delaying perk like Hex: Ruin for really efficient and coordinated Survivors who seem to nail generator after generator as mentioned in question #1. I'm at least considering switching Deerstalker for Sloppy Butcher for right now.

Speaking of which, I'll add on another question: are there any good non-DLC perks which help extend or slow down the game? At the risk of sounding repetitive, I just hate Survivors rushing through to the end then teabagging me at the gate without any fear of consequence. At least struggle a little bit or feel afraid for me, drat it. :mad:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 13, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Honestly if they're swarming the hook then they aren't doing gens, therefore there's no reason to leave the hook. I'm not going to throw a game to placate some weird Survivor e-bushido

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Man, the game is so much less fun now that Undying + Devour Hope is a thing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

1.) Should you be using the Chainsaw Dash to help traverse across the map whenever you have 3 stacks but don't see a Survivor or just save it for only when you see a Survivor or have a sure idea of where you're heading?

Save it for the chase. It's really not that much extra speed compared to the time you'd lose potentially missing out on chance to down some one.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

2.) How can you avoid the urge to camp the area trying to bait Survivors into unhooking their friend? If the gates are ready to be open/already open, overconfident Survivors to try to lead me away from the hook so they can swoop in for the unhook, leave, then teabag at the gates and say "zzz too easy"; but if I patrol the area (i.e. not just facecamping) or pretend to be distracted with following another Survivor then abruptly double-back to hit another Survivor based on prediction I get accused of being a "noob camper".

If the gates are open or about to be, sticking by a hook is the correct call. If anyone wants to be a dick about you making the correct play, gently caress 'em. They're just mad they got caught.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Man, the game is so much less fun now that Undying + Devour Hope is a thing.

Imagine how fun it's been with the million instantly cleansed hex totems that spawned right in front of survivors at the start of matches on the other side of the map that you have literally zero chance to do anything about for years. :v:

Undying is just yet another band-aid for problems that the devs won't or can't fix.

Like I wish I could use Huntress Lullaby on it's own for laughs more, but without Undying it often gets blown up before a stack can even happen, same for other hexes that aren't high impact but trapped in lit-from-match-start totems.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 13, 2021

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If I hook a survivor and I see survivors creeping in almost immediately, I'm perfectly fine with staying there and baiting them into being injured/downed trying to rescue their friend. If there's no survivors immediately apparent, I'll head off to investigate some gens. Anyone saying a killer should just ignore nearby survivors is dumb.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Who do you all think is the scariest/most genuinely spooky Killer to play against (i.e., you actually feel something playing against them)?

Probably Myers or Ghostface. Since I typically run Spine Chill, it's not so much them sneaking up on me as me feeling like I gotta get away RIGHT NOW to avoid them tripping their Exposed mechanic.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Pyrolocutus posted:

If I hook a survivor and I see survivors creeping in almost immediately, I'm perfectly fine with staying there and baiting them into being injured/downed trying to rescue their friend. If there's no survivors immediately apparent, I'll head off to investigate some gens. Anyone saying a killer should just ignore nearby survivors is dumb.

I wish this was even a choice, a lot of times starting a chase by a hook ends up being detrimental, especially with slower killers like Myers. More than half my games end up with 4 - 5 gens being at 70 percent or more before they all get daisychained because early on when I've gotten one hook after they've already done 2 gens all I can do is run to the discordance asap even though I see the rescue beelining because if I don't I will lose another gen before I can down the next guy.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I've been playing Leatherface a lot to get BBQ and Chili as a Teachable Perk and have been enjoying the challenge of rounding corners while revving the chainsaw to hit Survivors, being careful not to touch walls etc. as well as the ludicrous amount of Bloodpoints from BBQ and Chili.

Two questions, though:

1.) Should you be using the Chainsaw Dash to help traverse across the map whenever you have 3 stacks but don't see a Survivor or just save it for only when you see a Survivor or have a sure idea of where you're heading? The thing I hate about good Survivors is that they seem to knock out multiple generators in succession, so by the time I manage to actually chase down a Survivor (assuming they're not an expert at leading me on a wild goose chase at a house loop and wasting my time) and hook them we're already at 2/3 generators remaining. :sigh:

So... What is the ideal honorable way to play Leatherface in that sort of situation, then? :confused:

My current perks are BBQ and Chili/Whispers/Deerstalker/Bitter Murmur btw. It's been a pretty effective perk set in most cases, but I desperately need some kind of delaying perk like Hex: Ruin for really efficient and coordinated Survivors who seem to nail generator after generator as mentioned in question #1. I'm at least considering switching Deerstalker for Sloppy Butcher for right now.

Speaking of which, I'll add on another question: are there any good non-DLC perks which help extend or slow down the game? At the risk of sounding repetitive, I just hate Survivors rushing through to the end then teabagging me at the gate without any fear of consequence. At least struggle a little bit or feel afraid for me, drat it. :mad:

Already answered but for 1) don’t use the chainsaw to move, it’s so loud, only is a little bit faster overall and you want those tokens full when you find a survivor.

Tinkerer is a good free perk on the Hillbilly that will help you know which gens are being actively worked on, gen regression perks are a more direct way to stop survivor progress but this helps you in putting pressure on the survivors by going to the gen they’re on, making them spend their time running around and away from you, hiding then having to search for a new gen is all time they’re not doing anything to win the game. The undetectable is a bonus that might allow you to get close enough before they notice you to be unable to escape your chainsaw.
Other tips are to learn when to stop chasing a survivor if they’re obviously good at looping and heading away from gens or toward a safe spot, and go back to defending the generators,
Sloppy Butcher is a decent perk in a vacuum but on cannibal it’s less useful as it only triggers on basic attacks, and ideally you are chainsawing people from full health so won’t be triggering it all that often.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 13, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

For me, it has to be Huntress with Oni in close second. There's something genuinely unnerving about how constant her humming is and how her singing and running animation seems to imply that killing Survivors is about as ordinary and mundane as chopping wood.
Assuming you don't have Spine Chill, which murders all sense of tension regardless of the killer? Probably Huntress, yeah. The first impression I got of how scary and cool it was to hear the humming was what won me over on playing her, and I've been a killer main since.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Ghostface is prob scariest for me, you spend the whole match without the ability to switch off and spinning the camera to watch every angle to not give away that free down.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Both Blight and Oni for sure, the super fast murder sprint killers give me heart failure.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How are you supposed to counter Decisive Strike as Killer since it lasts up to a whole minute (!!!)? Everyone says to slug them and be mindful of their position while you chase other Survivors, but then that just opens it up for someone to swoop in and instantly revive them which makes the whole effort feel wasted. I also need to learn how to counter loops better because that wastes so much time, too.

I still enjoy Killer more than playing Survivor, but God drat if it isn't discouraging in some matches to have the equivalent of Navy SEALs operatives literally and metaphorically running circles around you so you end up with only 1-to-2 hooks by the time they reach the last gen. :argh::sigh:

Also, I'm still Rank 16/17, but I keep getting matched with like Rank 4 Survivors. What the hell, game?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How are you supposed to counter Decisive Strike as Killer since it lasts up to a whole minute (!!!)? Everyone says to slug them and be mindful of their position while you chase other Survivors, but then that just opens it up for someone to swoop in and instantly revive them which makes the whole effort feel wasted. I also need to learn how to counter loops better because that wastes so much time, too.

There are three options to deal with Decisive Strike.

1. Let them just get the person you slugged up. It's fine, you're still keeping two survivors busy while harassing the others, and you have a pretty good idea where those two survivors are.
2. Treat them like a hooked survivor you know that the others want to save. Someone comes to bomb in to save the slug? CHAINSAW TIME
3. Just eat the Decisive Strike. Each survivor can only do it once per match anyway.

As for countering loops, I linked a bunch of good videos on how to mindgame a while back.

Cease to Hope posted:

Here are some guides to mindgaming and winning loops. Fair warning: some of the advice here is very, very out of date, especially any time it refers to perks. But the tricks for mindgaming are still vital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8u0jRxN2kQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPExWQ5_UjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UoymuGcBzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPr_bQdVkj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafXeY7RF6Y

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, is there any way to tell if a Survivor has DS/Dead Hard/etc before they actually use it? I know you're supposed to bait it out, but Perks lasting anywhere from 10-60 seconds is an extremely long time to guess if they have a certain Perk or not. :confused:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The dumbest/easiest way to check for Dead Hard is to get close enough to swing at them and not swing, and see if they surge forward. If they don't, hey! You can probably lunge on them now.

DS, you pretty much have to decide moment-to-moment if it's worthwhile to eat the stun to find out. If they do extremely stupid-looking poo poo (like jumping into a locker in front of you and not leaving, to force you to pick them up from it, triggering DS) that's a good tell, for example.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's one of those things that is so obvious it's ironically easy to overlook, but if there's no obsession then nobody has DS.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If you're unaware, the white claws around a portrait means that person's the obsession. Also next patch DS is going to get a lot less obnoxious since doing basically anything will use up the 60 seconds.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Everyone says to slug them and be mindful of their position while you chase other Survivors, but then that just opens it up for someone to swoop in and instantly revive them which makes the whole effort feel wasted.

One of the things to learn as killer is that downing some one and leaving them isn't wasted effort. It's not ideal, you're not getting a hook state, but you've still forced one person to do nothing while they sat on the ground and another person had to waste time going to grab them. That's time they're spending not repairing generators while you're pressuring other people and chewing through pallets.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, I need to get better at slowing the Survivors so they don't just rush through all the gens and get to the exit. Still, I wish they didn't reveal the gates with an aura and the Survivors had to actually, y'know, *find* the exit gates.

Thanks for all the help. :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It is DLC (well, on PC. She's free on console) but the best slowdown is probably Hag's Ruin. It automatically regresses gens as long as the totem is up, so until they find it all you have to do is chase people away from gens and don't have to worry about kicking them.

Downside being it's a hex perk, so about as often as it spawns somewhere well hidden, it'll spawn right in the middle of the cornfield with a survivor standing next to it

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DeathChicken posted:

It is DLC (well, on PC. She's free on console) but the best slowdown is probably Hag's Ruin. It automatically regresses gens as long as the totem is up, so until they find it all you have to do is chase people away from gens and don't have to worry about kicking them.

Downside being it's a hex perk, so about as often as it spawns somewhere well hidden, it'll spawn right in the middle of the cornfield with a survivor standing next to it

Hex: Thrill of the Hunt can be used as insurance against this happening, right?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Hex: Thrill of the Hunt can be used as insurance against this happening, right?

Even with TotH, a lot of the time you have absolutely zero ability to make a save when the totem spawns across the entire map, right in a survivors initial 360 view. Undying is the only like true Hex insurance. (One of Blight's perks, so also DLC)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Thrill of the hunt is better when you have either stealth to punish survivors for staying on the totem too long, or speed to get across the map before the 20 seconds it takes to cleanse.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

As mentioned earlier, the combination of Ruin/Undying/Thrill/Devour Hope is absolutely disgusting on some killers. Basic idea being if Thrill goes off, you drop everything you're doing and smack the guy on the totem. 9 times out of 10 they're not going to abandon a totem that's almost finished and won't know you're coming for it. Get the down, hook them and go hover around your other totems while you claim a Devour stack, repeat until mayhem ensues. Most survivors will go on a Ruin hunt as soon as they notice it exists, so in practice you're just beating the poo poo out of them while no one does gens. Even if they do eventually headbutt through your wall of totems, the damage is probably done enough that you're going to win.

It works specifically well on Pig since she can additionally keep anyone she downs occupied with hats, but I've also gotten a lot of mileage with Freddy since he can just bamf off toward any totem in danger, and Billy is similar in that he can be at any threatened totem in no time flat.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are you supposed to do as Bubba if you see the Survivors splitting off to both gates across the map? You don't have a fast travel ability like Oni etc so you're basically screwed. I can't shake the feeling that these guys are smurfing even at low ranks, they seem way too knowledgeable on every way to counter the Killer and coordinate effectively. 😩

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What are you supposed to do as Bubba if you see the Survivors splitting off to both gates across the map? You don't have a fast travel ability like Oni etc so you're basically screwed. I can't shake the feeling that these guys are smurfing even at low ranks, they seem way too knowledgeable on every way to counter the Killer and coordinate effectively. 😩

rank means nothing, the ranks are reset regularly, and the matchmaking is terrible. don't expect matches to be fair, it's just not that kind of game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Pick a side and try to get some down/kills. If the survivors are at the opening gates stage and there's still more than two players left, then unless you're really good or really lucky, I suggest you just content yourself with getting one or two kills and denying that gate. With some luck, the other survivors will bomb the hook and that can easily lead to a complete wipe if they're dumb about it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Hell yes! FINALLY I had a match where I turned a near-loss into a 4k win right at the end.

I took out a Claudette pretty early on who seemed like a weak link, then the rest of the Survivor team tried to be cute sabotaging hooks right in front of me and trying to bait me. As soon as the last gen popped, I had Hex: NOED up and slugged one Survivor near the Killer shack and used BBQ and Chili to see both who was far away and who was nearby. Of course, as I predicted, these smug bastards kept trying to swoop in for the save one after the other; and each time I would just add another body to the indestructible basement hooks. They just wouldn't learn. :twisted:

Moral of the story is: don't get mad, get even.

gently caress yeah, feels good after eating poo poo for so long. That one "How to Not Be Bad at Killer" video was particularly helpful! Thanks! :D

E: I had half a mind to slug the last Survivor in front of the Hex totem they all missed after being dickheads all match, but I didn't want to jinx myself after such a nice conclusion to a pretty annoying match. The sacrifice was enough of a lesson in hubris.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 14, 2021

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Bubba is noob killer and punisher in general. No killer can defend 2 gates across the map. As someone that's been on both sides of that, survivors are going to try to wait you out. Good ones will escape. If you haven't hit the hatch, its just a guessing game. If you have, then just patrol. Bubba probably one of the best killers in that situation but nothing is certain. If even they open the gate, Bubba can still down them. Its funny situation overall.

Rank means nothing. My rank was 9 and probably lower. But I've stayed at rank 1-2 for a couple months. Sometimes, people are just deranked and better than they look.

temple fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 14, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, the only ones who have much luck stopping a late game escape are the rare few who can move fast enough to at least get in viewing distance of either gate and see if someone's on it. Billy, Spirit, Blight, to a lesser degree Legion. Demogorgon if by some fluke you get portals by the gates and survivors don't trash them first.

Then there are the ones who can't do that but can set an alert by the switch, Freddy and Trapper. They gotta go through your poo poo to start opening and that makes noise.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What are you supposed to do as Bubba if you see the Survivors splitting off to both gates across the map?
TL;DR: If you chase two rabbits, you'll lose them both. Go after whichever group has been worse at looping and get that 2K.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

malyshka, if you chase two rabbits, you'll lose them both.
                  /

:hmmyes:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

PMush Perfect posted:

TL;DR: If you chase two rabbits, you'll lose them both. Go after whichever group has been worse at looping and get that 2K.

Yeah, going after the weak link is an easy way to have the Survivor team collapse in on themselves, as you'll have the more arrogant ones running back to try and make a save and set up their own rope to hang themselves with, even during the Endgame Collapse. Knowing which Survivors to target and which parts of the map to put pressure on at any given moment is a valuable skill in DbD, indeed.

Also, I didn't like having to choose which new Killer to buy DLC for, so I went "gently caress it" and bought all the rest. Now I can try whoever I want and gun for whatever perk I want. :D

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

And remember, if you don't like how a killer actually plays, you can just keep playing who you do like and them dump BP into that other to get their teachables out of them.

Like that used to be Bubba to a T back when he'd been abandoned at the bottom of the heap, he was just a hurdle to getting BBQ for most people, nowadays Clown has that designation more for how good Pop Goes The Weasel is.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

https://v.redd.it/utx44mmog2n61/DASH_1080.mp4

ALWAYS face AWAY from windows, pallets, or closets when trying to pick up survivors or this could be you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ruzihm posted:

https://v.redd.it/utx44mmog2n61/DASH_1080.mp4

ALWAYS face AWAY from windows, pallets, or closets when trying to pick up survivors or this could be you

I'd no idea the new Halloween movie was a comedy.