Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oasx posted:

What did they tease that didn't pay off?

Bohner.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Xealot posted:

Also, yeah, Kings was woefully underrated. That whole cast was fantastic.

Part of it is that it was one of the worst marketed shows I've ever seen. The entire marketing campaign was, "What if America...had a King?!" That was it, in every commercial.

I watched it because I was in the moment I saw the words "Ian" and "McShane" put together. But I'm not surprised most people didn't bother.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The cast of Kings was extremely solid. Ian McShane was the cherry on top.

You'd think they would have promoted more that it was based on the Bible but I guess they thought it would drive off everyone who wasn't a fundie and then get the fundies mad at them.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nothing else I've seen him in made me think much of him as an actor, but he was outstanding in I, Tonya. Genuinely one of the more impressive portrayals of an abusive partner I've ever seen.

Yeah, he was amazing in that, which really had some great acting across the board (I'd argue they all saved it from the pretty weak filmmaking).

It made me second-guess writing him off, but then I saw him in The Devil All the Time and realized I was right the first time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

Part of it is that it was one of the worst marketed shows I've ever seen. The entire marketing campaign was, "What if America...had a King?!" That was it, in every commercial.
IIRC, the network was really gunshy about it being a biblical retelling because they thought it'd piss off Christians. Then when it failed to grow viewers due to poor marketing, they put it in a death timeslot instead. The family dynamics between Ian McShane, Sebastian Stan, and Susanna Thompson were fantastic though. I wish someone could make a wrap-up movie at least, but there was no real support for it.

I remember this was also around the time that Jericho had gotten a 2nd season because of the Nuts campaign, but instead of fans of other canceled shows doing the exact same thing because peanuts were bulky and cheap, they tried to make campaigns using show-related things instead and it never really worked again. There was a weak effort for Journeyman and an even weaker one for Kings. People should've just sent more peanuts. The line in Jericho wasn't even about peanuts, it was about refusing to surrender.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

IIRC, the network was really gunshy about it being a biblical retelling because they thought it'd piss off Christians. Then when it failed to grow viewers due to poor marketing, they put it in a death timeslot instead. The family dynamics between Ian McShane, Sebastian Stan, and Susanna Thompson were fantastic though. I wish someone could make a wrap-up movie at least, but there was no real support for it.

I remember this was also around the time that Jericho had gotten a 2nd season because of the Nuts campaign, but instead of fans of other canceled shows doing the exact same thing because peanuts were bulky and cheap, they tried to make campaigns using show-related things instead and it never really worked again. There was a weak effort for Journeyman and an even weaker one for Kings. People should've just sent more peanuts. The line in Jericho wasn't even about peanuts, it was about refusing to surrender.

You mean there was a group of fans mobilizing to support a canceled show by mildly irritating a faceless corporation ? Sounds like some serious entitled toxic fan fascism to me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I've resolved myself now to the fact that, whenever I see a good, interesting actor giving an impressive performance, the next thing I will see them in is a mediocre blockbuster that utterly wastes them.

Shageletic posted:

It didn't hurt that Eric Kripke, The Boys showrunner, had 5 years of shooting varied action scenes every episode on Supernatural.

You need experts at it to do it right. So I'm not that harsh on them loving it up on Wandavision.

What I am especially harsh is on the writing itself, which screwed the pooch by the end.

Setting that aside, previs people get a lot of negativity. But for subpar movies, sometimes they're its only saving grace. The only good thing, for example, in Thor 2 was the end fight which looked like it came from a different movie. A much better one.

Actually, you mention Supernatural and I know there's plenty of jokes to make about it, but I remember catching a very early episode where the brothers end up fighting each other. forr a network show in 2005, it's a pretty drat good fight scene. It clearly communicates that they both know what they're doing and also that they're very closely matched both through the choreography and performance. I remember nothing else about that episode except being surprised how good that fight scene was.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

I've resolved myself now to the fact that, whenever I see a good, interesting actor giving an impressive performance, the next thing I will see them in is a mediocre blockbuster that utterly wastes them.

Actually, you mention Supernatural and I know there's plenty of jokes to make about it, but I remember catching a very early episode where the brothers end up fighting each other. forr a network show in 2005, it's a pretty drat good fight scene. It clearly communicates that they both know what they're doing and also that they're very closely matched both through the choreography and performance. I remember nothing else about that episode except being surprised how good that fight scene was.

The main things I recall about Supernatural was from an old Television Without Pity review of the pilot. The first bit went something like:

TWoP: The girl says she wore the pentagram to freak out her parents about "devil stuff." Sam replies that a Pentagram is a powerful symbol of protection for those who believe in it. I never knew that despite watching five season of Charmed because Charmed sucks.

The second bit was the reviewer being overjoyed that Sam's girlfriend/fiance in the pilot got stuck to the ceiling and burned alive because the reviewer somehow thought that Supernatural was somehow going to be like Dawson's Creek, and... nope, not so much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Everyone posted:

The second bit was the reviewer being overjoyed that Sam's girlfriend/fiance in the pilot got stuck to the ceiling and burned alive because the reviewer somehow thought that Supernatural was somehow going to be like Dawson's Creek, and... nope, not so much.

What the gently caress was going on in Dawson's Creek

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

massively overwritten dialogue, mostly

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chairman Capone posted:

You mean there was a group of fans mobilizing to support a canceled show by mildly irritating a faceless corporation ? Sounds like some serious entitled toxic fan fascism to me.

It was a thing almost every fan base tried doing in the middle aughts. I remember one show had their fans sending spoons to the network. I know Family Guy had a campaign after they got canceled the second time that claimed success but that was more DVD sales. I think it petered out when Chuck fans figured out buycots work better by buying Subway every Monday night.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Burkion posted:

Sounds about right. Essentially the TWoP reviewer was expecting Sam's fiance to be joining the cast and accompanying him and Dean with some kind of dumb love triangle. So her getting stapled to the ceiling and incinerated was a huge relief for him.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Everyone posted:

Sounds about right. Essentially the TWoP reviewer was expecting Sam's fiance to be joining the cast and accompanying him and Dean with some kind of dumb love triangle. So her getting stapled to the ceiling and incinerated was a huge relief for him.

And then that's the only thing 95% of women do in the show, die horribly. The other 5% were villains or the sheriffs.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fishylungs posted:

And then that's the only thing 95% of women do in the show, die horribly. The other 5% were villains or the sheriffs.

Thats all their friends though. They were doing the Constantine "all protagonist friends die" thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They also met Scooby-Doo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They also met Scooby-Doo.

And killed Hitler.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Some people straight up don’t get action beats that well. There’s more too it then just people fighting in a room.

A good action scene has character beats interwoven into the fights, or at least able to tell a story with the action.

The Wandavision action falls flat on its face once things go flying because it:

A: Naturally looks very bad without a humongous budget
B: Is genuinely a difficult format to make visually interesting in 3D since everything is flat when rendered
C: It easily eclipses the character moments, flying characters are often tiny characters in frame just by the fact that they're flying and moving

Just a bad creative choice overall. The director simply had too little experience and budget for the spectacle that was attempted.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 14, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, poo poo, I do remember that. Those ads did Kings real dirty.

It was probably hosed from the outset, though. It was an HBO-style prestige drama that aired on network television, set in a loosely-explained alt-history that was full of dense religious symbolism. It'd probably have done great even a few years later when streaming original content started to happen, but primetime NBC in 2009 was a death sentence.

My best sell for it: Ian McShane and Brian Cox playing political enemies. An angry Mr. Wednesday and Logan Roy in the same room is intimidating as gently caress.

MiddleOne posted:

The Wandavision action falls flat on its face once things go flying because it:

A: Naturally looks very bad without a humongous budget

I don't know, an inadequate budget doesn't seem like an issue WandaVision has. Or more, if this well-funded Marvel show doesn't have enough money to make it look good, nothing does.

Even with infinite dollars, I think certain effects just aren't going to work on a concept level. Wanda and Agatha's floating conversation is going to look fake and awkward because that premise is fake and awkward. They're floating over a hundred feet in the air, but having a fully audible conversation at normal speaking volume. The mechanism of their floating doesn't fully make sense...are Wanda's glowy hands producing lift? Is it effortful to stay in place up there? And that's before the background they're set against becomes a blob of wavy red CG. It doesn't seem interested in regarding physical reality, and your brain can tell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowman_McK posted:

All I remember is people in high school going "ohgmerherddd they talk like sooooo smart"

*me looking up from my book in the corner sending daggers through my narrow stare*

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fishylungs posted:

I don't think this is true. I've seen through the show a couple times and the running theme is that everyone in the Winchester's orbit get killed. In fact, if wager that the majority of their human support are women that tend to stick around the longest.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

All I remember is people in high school going "ohgmerherddd they talk like sooooo smart"

*me looking up from my book in the corner sending daggers through my narrow stare*

I never watched a single episode of Dawson's Creek and it somehow still annoyed me to the point that I didn't get into Fringe until well into the second season just because one of the stars was Joshua Jackson AKA Pacey from DC.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

I never watched a single episode of Dawson's Creek and it somehow still annoyed me to the point that I didn't get into Fringe until well into the second season just because one of the stars was Joshua Jackson AKA Pacey from DC.

I hate Dawson’s Creek but I can’t hate Joshua Jackson. He’s charming as all get out.

https://youtu.be/Gx2G2yp6cU4

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Are we still getting Shang Chi and Eternals this year, because shouldn't we have info at this point?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

I hate Dawson’s Creek but I can’t hate Joshua Jackson. He’s charming as all get out.

https://youtu.be/Gx2G2yp6cU4

1:20 - 1:30 "I'm only working on Fringe to fund my first love, which is Pacey fan fiction."

Now that I think about it, I actually like all three of the main actors in DC from other things they've done.

Jackson as Peter in Fringe

James Van Der Beek (as a version of himself in Don't Trust the B--- in Apartment 23 (miss that show a lot)

Katie Holmes as Jessica King in The Gift

Really The Gift is a movie that should be seen by more people. It's got excellent performances by Cate Blanchette and a genuinely terrifying one from Keanu Reeves, who is about as far from Neo (The Gift came out in Jan. 2001) as one could imagine.

Dear God, I'm going to have to watch some Dawson's Creek, aren't I?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Are we still getting Shang Chi and Eternals this year, because shouldn't we have info at this point?

Hell, we're two months away from Black Widow supposedly coming out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Everyone posted:

I don't think he gets enough props for his work on Fringe. Everyone pales compared to John Noble, but Jackson was really good also.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I met Joshua Jackson once and he was very nice and chill in a somewhat stressful environment.

Between that and how much I like Fringe, I'll watch anything with him in it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

1:20 - 1:30 "I'm only working on Fringe to fund my first love, which is Pacey fan fiction."

Now that I think about it, I actually like all three of the main actors in DC from other things they've done.

Jackson as Peter in Fringe

James Van Der Beek (as a version of himself in Don't Trust the B--- in Apartment 23 (miss that show a lot)

Katie Holmes as Jessica King in The Gift

Really The Gift is a movie that should be seen by more people. It's got excellent performances by Cate Blanchette and a genuinely terrifying one from Keanu Reeves, who is about as far from Neo (The Gift came out in Jan. 2001) as one could imagine.

Dear God, I'm going to have to watch some Dawson's Creek, aren't I?

Don't forget that the fourth big lead in Dawson's Creek was Michelle Williams, who is amazing in pretty much everything she's been in since then.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

Don't forget that the fourth big lead in Dawson's Creek was Michelle Williams, who is amazing in pretty much everything she's been in since then.

I didn't really forget Williams. It's just that the only thing I've seen her in was the Tom Hardy Venom, which probably wasn't the best showcase of her talent.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

I didn't really forget Williams. It's just that the only thing I've seen her in was the Tom Hardy Venom, which probably wasn't the best showcase of her talent.

Not that this is some sort of objective marker of quality, but she’s been nominated for four Oscars. She’s arguably the biggest talent to come out of the show.

Like, she’s fun in Venom, but it’s a shame to judge her based solely on that. But a lot of her work has been in indie movies, so I can’t really blame you for it either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1371524712816275459

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Sounds about right for the Netflix shows, including Daredevil, about a blind man who's super power is that he can see (which I've always found funny, going back to the comics).

It really bothered me in Daredevil how little they did with it.

There’s one episode that ends with him being caught in a massive explosion, so you might assume that’s setup for the next episode where is hearing is damaged and he’s at a disadvantage right? Nope he’s fine.

There’s an episode where he’s driving trying to escape someone, he can seemingly hear what’s on the road ahead so, it’s not played for tension or anything that he is a blind man driving a car, it just plays out the same as if he could see.

There’s one big about how he’s fighting ninjas who are really quiet, he eventually learns to beat them by...listening really hard. Not using his sense of smell, or any other interesting perception cues.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

massive spider posted:

It really bothered me in Daredevil how little they did with it.

There’s one episode that ends with him being caught in a massive explosion, so you might assume that’s setup for the next episode where is hearing is damaged and he’s at a disadvantage right? Nope he’s fine.

There’s an episode where he’s driving trying to escape someone, he can seemingly hear what’s on the road ahead so, it’s not played for tension or anything that he is a blind man driving a car, it just plays out the same as if he could see.

There’s one big about how he’s fighting ninjas who are really quiet, he eventually learns to beat them by...listening really hard. Not using his sense of smell, or any other interesting perception cues.

Daredevil was also shot really uninterestingly most of the time. You'd have a cool visual like the billboard burning into his apartment, but then conversations would just be shot/reverse shot. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but having two blind guys both with super hearing and just doing alternating close ups on their faces was just dull.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

massive spider posted:

They just didn't want to steal from the best.

The cowards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don;t follow Pete Holmes' career so I only recently came across these and thought they were great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb2CqElR8KE

Violator
May 15, 2003

Did the Adam West Batman ever deal with his dead parents? "Golly gee, Robin! My parent's were shot in the head by low-life scum! Blammo!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Violator posted:

Did the Adam West Batman ever deal with his dead parents? "Golly gee, Robin! My parent's were shot in the head by low-life scum! Blammo!"

The origin episode starts with Adam West walking on his knees next to two adults down an alley. Criminals approach, the screen says "POW", and both older Waynes are on the ground.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Spacebump posted:

The origin episode starts with Adam West walking on his knees next to two adults down an alley. Criminals approach, the screen says "POW", and both older Waynes are on the ground.

Dorf gets revenge!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Adam West is the only untraumatized batman

He probably invented a spray to help him get over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Adam West Batman is the only one who could presumably have thought up the idea of dressing up as a bat to fight crime because he was simply bored.