Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Also the bad guys all had armor made of scrotum for some reason?
That's the main thing I remember a year later

edit: lol hell of a snipe. This was about the witcher, but you can just apply this to any show you're thinking of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

I like The Mick. It reminds me of AP Bio without the redeeming kids, or rich-family-IASIP since every character is irredeemably bad and it's fun to see bad things happen to them.

I just finished a Mick rewatch and I’m angrier than ever that it was cancelled. There’s only one or two mediocre episodes in the whole show and the entire cast was really firing on all cylinders in season 2. They didn’t even shop it around to other networks/streaming! They just killed it!

You can’t even hope for a revival because the two boys have already aged out of the roles.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

As someone that grew up in the suburbs in Michigan, I will say yes.

In middle school after a girl dyed her hair, she was taken to the principal's office and was told that she had to dye it back because it would be too big of a distraction or take a two week suspension. She came out and told everyone and a lot of people came in the next day with dyed hair. It was crazy. My best friend dyed his hair blond and his dad asked him if he was gay... I grew up in a dramedy.

I feel like if you take elements of My So Called Life, The Detroiters, and weirdly Derry Girls it may give someone a good understanding of my 90s experience.

I spent the first four years of the 1990s in the military, with most of that being in the UK at the height of the grunge era, and when I returned to the US to finish out my enlistment it was a complete culture shock. Not just with UK civilians dyeing their hair or having nose rings, but even on the base I was at, it wasn't considered that big of a deal if a teenager dyed their hair or got a nose ring (obviously this varied depending on families and peer groups, of course). I listened to a lot of metal and punk, and even in that mostly conservative setting of an overseas US military base, at most my Motorhead or Misfits shirts might get the odd askew glance. When I came back to the US, the vast majority of people on the base thought anyone who liked punk or metal or grunge was a subversive anarchist Satanic commie pinko. And forget seeing a civilian dependent spouse or teenage kid on base with "radically" dyed colors in their hair or a nose ring or whatever (there were always exceptions, of course, but they generally proved the rule). And it wasn't much different offbase at the time, either; even when I got out, there were people who'd still give someone a dirty look for wearing a White Zombie shirt or whatnot. About the only way you could get away with that kinda stuff in early to mid 1990s America was if you were lucky enough to be in a big city where nobody gave a poo poo. I don't think dyeing one's hair (or having a nose ring, or a zillion tats) started to be viewed as somewhat acceptable by the average small town or suburban person in the US until maybe the late 1990s or so.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

False posted:

Is Black Monday worth investing in? Really liked the first episode (aside from the Girls guy being pretty bad) but feel like I never heard any buzz about it.

I loved both seasons of Black Monday. So funny (lots of clever banter and wordplay, which makes sense from David Caspe, who brought us Happy Endings), but it's also full of audacious twists and turns. I highly recommend it and encourage you to keep watching.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just finished a Mick rewatch and I’m angrier than ever that it was cancelled. There’s only one or two mediocre episodes in the whole show and the entire cast was really firing on all cylinders in season 2. They didn’t even shop it around to other networks/streaming! They just killed it!

You can’t even hope for a revival because the two boys have already aged out of the roles.

Oh drat, I hadn't even looked at how many seasons it had or heard it got canned. It popped up on Hulu for me one day, thought it was new/ongoing! Speaking of aging out of roles, I think it was only in season 2 or some episode where they actually showed her in a high school that I realized she was supposed to be a high school student. That actress is nearly 30 lol. Obviously, par for the course for TV teens, but it's still amusing to me when someone has basically my same ancient birthday and is still playing a kid on TV.

That makes me 3/3 for the TV shows I've watched lately getting cancelled despite still having momentum. Schitt's Creek, Kim's Convenience, The Mick. Well poo poo, might as well pile on, what other newish comedy show is brilliant and cancelled-too-soon from the past year or two? Maybe time for a Last Man on Earth re-watch

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Khanstant posted:

Well poo poo, might as well pile on, what other newish comedy show is brilliant and cancelled-too-soon from the past year or two? Maybe time for a Last Man on Earth re-watch

The Magicians, imho.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
......The Magicians is many things, I don't know that "comedy" is one of them.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'd also disagree with it being "canceled-too-soon"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still with The Last Man on Earth had stuck with the pilot premise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I liked the first two seasons a lot, but I gave up in season 3 because Tandy became so incredibly unlikable and never learned any lessons or changed. It was a real chore to watch towards the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even though it got pretty dramatically retooled midseason and then canceled I thought Ghosted was a fun show. It starred Adam Scott and Craig Robinson, Scott was a disgraced physics professor obsessed with aliens and Robinson was a former cop who was stuck working as a security guard. They accidentally stumble upon a real alien and end up recruited by a secret government agency as field agents. Midseason all of a sudden they're informed that there aren't any more paranormal events happening and they spend their entire time in the base as a supernatural Office clone.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah, Ghosted was great :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I feel like if Ghosted came along two years later, it would have been a Hulu original.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

I feel like if Ghosted came along two years later, it would have been a Hulu original.

Haha yeah definitely

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Talking of hulu originals, has any show been so omnipresent in the cultural zeitgeist and then just disappeared as fast as The Handmaid's Tale? I can't even remember if I watched season 3 or not

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's what happens when reality catches up.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ghosted was so close to finding its feet and if it had another season I'm positive it would have found them

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Khanstant posted:

Well poo poo, might as well pile on, what other newish comedy show is brilliant and cancelled-too-soon from the past year or two? Maybe time for a Last Man on Earth re-watch

Don't ever watch lodge 49 or wayne unless you want to feel really really sad

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Khanstant posted:

. Well poo poo, might as well pile on, what other newish comedy show is brilliant and cancelled-too-soon from the past year or two? Maybe time for a Last Man on Earth re-watch

Detroiters.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

False posted:

Is Black Monday worth investing in? Really liked the first episode (aside from the Girls guy being pretty bad) but feel like I never heard any buzz about it.

Black Monday is awesome. Both seasons were great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't ever watch lodge 49 or wayne unless you want to feel really really sad

No, watch Wayne. Watch the poo poo out of it because Amazon bought it and if they get enough views there's a CHANCE of a second season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Amazon Prime just dropped their All Or Nothing/Hard Knocks/Drive to Survive style AFL documentary and it's pretty drat great.

If you like yourself a good sports doco series or want to learn a bit about our crazy game, give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAfojy8Iprw

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Davros1 posted:

Detroiters.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
People of Earth was good, got renewed for a third season, had that season completely written, and then got canceled out of nowhere before they started production. That was some bullshit.

I recently rewatched Powerless, and while I can see why it got cancelled, I really enjoyed it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hawkperson posted:

For the sake of anyone else, 1) wow what an un-google-able show but 2) all the eps are linked in the description of this trailer so it's still easy to find and 3) what a perfect little show that takes just an hour and change to watch. (end of series spoiler) And it ends perfectly, Lucy absolutely doesn't deserve Daisy in the slightest

edit: also yeah I def gotta check out Mythic Quest now, she's a great actor

Yeah, the double wammy of the hacker and the graduation made her completely irredeemable. Such a good show. It's amazing how effective the "type what you feel -> delete -> type what you think you should say" thing is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Slamhound posted:

People of Earth was good, got renewed for a third season, had that season completely written, and then got canceled out of nowhere before they started production. That was some bullshit.

Blame Wyatt Cenac suddenly leaving.TBS would have had to pay for the entire season to be rewritten again, which just wasn't going to happen.

Resident Alien, btw, is a very similar show with a few of the original cast. Worth a watch.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Uh yeah, Avenue 5 definitely hits different in 2021 lol

It's also even better than I remember

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I like The Mick. It reminds me of AP Bio without the redeeming kids, or rich-family-IASIP since every character is irredeemably bad and it's fun to see bad things happen to them.

The Mick was the best network comedy in years. drat shame it didnt get renewed.

Couldn't believe what they got away with.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 13, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

The Mick was the best network comedy in years. drat shame it didnt get renewed.

It put me in mind of Grounded For Life, in a good way

drat that show was better than it had any right to be. Donal Logue owns

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

It put me in mind of Grounded For Life, in a good way

drat that show was better than it had any right to be. Donal Logue owns

?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Does the only season of John From Cincinnati end good enough or will I be angry?

I noticed it's on HBOMax and I think I only ever saw the pilot.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 13, 2021

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Blame Wyatt Cenac suddenly leaving.TBS would have had to pay for the entire season to be rewritten again, which just wasn't going to happen.

Resident Alien, btw, is a very similar show with a few of the original cast. Worth a watch.

Oh yeah, Resident Alien is great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Resident Alien better get every episode it wants and needs to tell it’s story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
From a tone/sense of humor perspective: if you like ____________, you might like Resident Alien?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kinda Dale and Tucker vs Evil type comedy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Invader Zim

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never saw his sitcoms but check out Terriers for some Donal Logue owning and such

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Never saw his sitcoms but check out Terriers for some Donal Logue owning and such

Also

https://youtu.be/W1U29FZIZaM

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

From a tone/sense of humor perspective: if you like ____________, you might like Resident Alien?

Northern Exposure if the doctor trying to get home is a hostile alien instead of a New York Jew.

https://youtu.be/0fB1IVPlZsI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is the kind of show that will joke about killing a kid but won't actually kill a kid.