Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

AlternateNu posted:

To be fair, 90% of the insane rambling cadence of the TM wiki is because of the poor grammar/translations from the article writers. Most of them don't have English as a first language to my knowledge.

The gratuitous use of Arbitrary Word Capitalization also makes it more difficult to parse and discern between Seriously Goofy Contrived Proper Noun Bullshit vs pointless random trivial idioms that just get capitalized Because Wiki Syntax Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the very detailed replies! As for getting into the series, well, you can pick any random paragraph from the Type Moon wiki and it reads like an excerpt from a manifesto by a schizophrenic who lives at the library:
The type moon wiki is run by an esl transphobe/homophobe who refuses to let literally anyone clean up the grammar and language, excise unneeded details, or acknowledge gay and trans characters exist in the franchise. It sucks.

Like here's the scene that paragraph is actually describing: Kiritsugu's mentor was a bounty hunter who hunts rogue wizards. One day they hunted down a guy who could turn people into zombies by stinging them with his bee familiars. Kiritsugus mentor went on the plane to kill him while Kiritsugu was waiting at the plane's landing point. Realizing the plane was taken over by zombies, and not wanting to risk the bees or zombies getting off to infect more civilians, he shot the plane with a rocket launcher, killing everyone, including his mentor. This decision solidified his stance as someone who thinks the ends justify the means, and that sacrificing people is worth it if it saves more lives.

Its a like 2 minute scene with a mildly goofy premise (wizard with zombie bees) but really simple throughline (kiritsugu sacrifices his mentor to protect innocent people).

And mildly goofy premise but really simple throughline describes basically every part of fate, the wiki just gets super bogged down in irrelevant details that are mentioned offhand or in infobooks only super fans read.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I really couldn't get over the awful writing in the first episode. The protagonist is an audience surrogate to the point that she knows absolutely nothing about her job or the world she lives in, and has everything explained to her like she's visiting from another planet.

Fair enough, but the rest of the first season is great, writing included. Would highly recommend overlooking that aspect and watching further (subsequent seasons after the first are much more variable in quality).

Regarding Fate, it seems pretty likely that ufotable will re-adapt the first route at some point, so if that happens there'd be a great adaptation of all three routes plus the prequel. Not sure it's worth waiting for that eventuality, but the first route is pretty important in getting the full experience and it can be painful at times to get through the deen adaptation.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So the adtrw wiki is down, i guess. haven't watched anything in at least 6 years but one of my friends wants to watch something new with a couple of us and wants a rec. their favorite anime are clannad, little monster, say i love you, haikyuu and kuroko's basketball. so mostly... sad romance animes? Anyone know stuff similar to that that isn't kanon, they didn't like the artstyle in that one

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the new fruits basket anime adaptation was very good

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If a movie is okay I absolutely loved Your Name for something along those lines. It's one of my favorite flicks, but that may be colored by the experience of watching it during a first class flight back from Japan where the flight attendants kept pouring wine and painkillers into me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, considering the other shows they've enjoyed, I'll put forth that Ace of the Diamond is one of my favorite long, meaty sports shows.

Chihayafuru might fit all the right points too; it's a josei sports series with an engagingly messy love triangle.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 11, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chihayafuru for sure

March comes in like a lion

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 11, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

That Works posted:

March comes in like a lion

:hai:

Also: Violet Evergarden, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Sound! Euphonium, and A Place Further Than the Universe.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

silentsnack posted:

The gratuitous use of Arbitrary Word Capitalization also makes it more difficult to parse and discern between Seriously Goofy Contrived Proper Noun Bullshit vs pointless random trivial idioms that just get capitalized Because Wiki Syntax Sucks.
I'm a big World of Darkness fan, so I have no right to complain about that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hibike! euphonium is more focused on high school band drama but they'd probably be into that. if movies are okay then liz and the blue bird is part of the same series and it's really good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
might check out Orange and Blue Spring Ride

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So the adtrw wiki is down, i guess. haven't watched anything in at least 6 years but one of my friends wants to watch something new with a couple of us and wants a rec. their favorite anime are clannad, little monster, say i love you, haikyuu and kuroko's basketball. so mostly... sad romance animes? Anyone know stuff similar to that that isn't kanon, they didn't like the artstyle in that one

Ride Your Wave.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thanks for all the recs goons. Time to see if I can still enjoy a whole school romance anime.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Your lie in April

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Seconding Fruits Basket, A Place Further Than The Universe (this one in particular is very short, like 14 episodes or so) and Hibike! Euphonium.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
For some reason I started watching K-on! after watching Evangelion twice and for whatever reason these highschool band girls are so uplifting after a depressing series. Their Japanese is fairly easy to understand too as someone trying to learn the language.

How is the Gurran Lagan series? Im mostly limited to what Netflix offers

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

infraboy posted:

For some reason I started watching K-on! after watching Evangelion twice and for whatever reason these highschool band girls are so uplifting after a depressing series. Their Japanese is fairly easy to understand too as someone trying to learn the language.

It's very good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

On the topic of K-On, I rewatched it with my sister recently and I still think the episode where Yui just cannot get over Nodoka eating her strawberry is one of the funniest gags in the whole show. Also the scene from the movie where they're in a taxi at night is stunningly beautiful.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

infraboy posted:

It's really good, though it is also a surprisingly depressing series at times.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

infraboy posted:

I dislike TTGL for thematic reasons but it's beautifully animated and there's significant room to debate what it's saying. It's worth your time, and in particular it's kind of like a whirlwind tour of and commentary on past giant robot shows (including Evangelion) so the more of those you've seen the more you'll get out of it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gurren lagann is a fun goofy mecha anime and a lot of what it does is just simple homages and rips from older goofy mecha anime, watching older stuff will mostly just give you a better idea of where its ideas come from. i don't think it's that deep but it's a fun little journey with some cool characters and lots of passion. it's not ultra revolutionary like some people sell it as but it's also not like Bad or a total rip off, it's just a fun piece of its legacy that anyone can jump into at any point

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Started watching Madoka as per the suggestions of some posters here. Episode 1 was a very strong start and I'm loving the trippy visuals and music.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dislike TTGL for thematic reasons but it's beautifully animated and there's significant room to debate what it's saying. It's worth your time, and in particular it's kind of like a whirlwind tour of and commentary on past giant robot shows (including Evangelion) so the more of those you've seen the more you'll get out of it.
its just a fun mecha show, anyone can watch it lol

i mean theres fun in knowing the stuff its riffing on but eva itself is also built on the back of past mecha shows, and the mecha shows eva is built on are also built on past mecha shows so unless you want to sit down and watch the original tetsujin you arent gonna know that whole chain of origin anyway. i wouldnt really say its a 'commentary' on eva either beyond just 'eva sure does exist'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TTGL's most prominent genre commentary is "getter robo is cool, here's our spin on that idea".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, you'll find that eva killed the mecha genre, and gurren lagann resurrected it *silently kicks sakura wars, a bunch of gundam series, half the brave series, gear fighter dendoh, zoids, nadesico, fafner, gravion, full metal panic, and eureka seven under the rug*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't really understand the urge to be so dismissive of something you enjoy, but I guess both reactions are useful as recommendations, in their own way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not being dismissive? Gurren Lagann is a very good show, it just doesn't have such deep commentary on the mecha genre that anything else is required or even recommended viewing. It has a lot to say about life, in general, not the mecha genre of anime.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lol. Zoids.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you should watch gurren lagann, and then watch shin mazinger shougeki z-hen and get sad when it introduces a ton of really fun characters and then literally just ends in the middle of the story with zero resolution, proving itself as a true old-school mecha anime

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
not strictly anime, but if you want to look into the history of giant robots/monsters stomping things in japanese cinematography, I've been finding this list of ultraman episodes to be pretty eye-opening and fun in their own right

https://twitter.com/Petsuchan/status/1354890581441392646

the last two episodes of ultraseven cracked us up because we kept noticing End of Eva shots

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

TTGL is one of my favourite mecha series, though in 2021 I would absolutely call it depressing. I always treated it as Imaishi's treatise on this genre he loved, taking us through its history and culminating with his vision of what mecha action and animation could become in the future. Then we got Shin Mazinger Z, which in my mind carried the torch of some of that vision. Then, frankly, the genre petered out and has nearly burnt out. The fact that Darling In The Franxx then came out and was so terrible only compounds this.

I just want big dumb robots to do whipass sakuga and there doesn't seem to be an audience for it anymore :(

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There are more mecha shows being announced this year than in a long time! We're even getting a new getter! Mecha isn't dead and will never die as long as there are toys to be sold!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shin mazinger isn't so much carrying gurren lagann's torch as it was imagawa trying to do his big epic ode to mazinger and imagining its big arcs more naturally spliced together into one epic tale (rip to that lol..) there's been tons of different mecha anime celebrating what the creators love about the genre and its history, we get one like every decade, nadesico already happened like a decade earlier. the genre's never gonna totally flare out of existence

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, it'll never go away obviousy, but there absolutely aren't the volume of mecha shows that there used to be. The genre's place has definitely fallen on hard times in this brave new world of isekai and siscon poo poo. I remember reading a thing about some big survey that found mecha one of the least popular genres a few years ago and was bummed but not surprised.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think the mecha genre died because isekai became popular considering a couple of the most popular 90s shoujo isekai manga and anime were mecha

dont try to say rayearth's debatable, it was in super robot wars...!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gundam ironblooded orphans was a few years ago and was very popular. granbelm wasnt popular, but it was good. build divers rerise was pretty good. the mecha genre isnt at its peak or anything but idk how itd be dead or how gurren lagann would be depressing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Actually the siscon genre is dead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

Actually the siscon genre is dead
my sister my writer killed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thankfuly when mecha was big they made 10000 of the fuckers and those can always be watched