Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Yeah, I remember Ippo making a promise to Kumi that he would retire if he lost again, which he did. Im not sure Ippo would try to back away from that promise himself, so it might need to be Kumi wanting him to return to the ring for it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ :hfive:

Yeah, but wasn't she just internally monologuing about how Ippo seems "fine" now, but that there was something missing from the way he was before? Assuming I'm not making that up it wouldn't surprise me if he continues to resist going active again and it's her support/blessing that pushes him over the edge.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

his moms gonna fuckin die and he'll kill himself through boxing

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ :hfive:

Yeah, but wasn't she just internally monologuing about how Ippo seems "fine" now, but that there was something missing from the way he was before? Assuming I'm not making that up it wouldn't surprise me if he continues to resist going active again and it's her support/blessing that pushes him over the edge.

This feels like a very plausible take. Or it might take both of them, perhaps his mom will have another heart to heart with Kumi that convinces her she has to let him do his thing to be happy and she can support him or some such. It'll be cheesy whatever it is when he goes back to the ring.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1330

I thought I would get to type "the fight finally starts next chapter" but it seems like there might even be one more chapter of filler

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
something about this guy doesn't really do it for me. hope more personality comes out in the match

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Yeah, the guy's characterisation is really flat. It's like, he's lucky and a good boxer that feels like he's lacking a challenge apparently... and?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

The heel / face dynamic is not set like it was in the Hawk or Eagle fights.

Agreed that hopefully more comes out during the fight itself! I think it will as the manga has been great again for awhile now.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

duckdealer posted:

The heel / face dynamic is not set like it was in the Hawk or Eagle fights.

Agreed that hopefully more comes out during the fight itself! I think it will as the manga has been great again for awhile now.

Please quit listening to wrestle podcasts and enjoy the comic for what it is.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Rabite posted:

Haha, fair! But to be clear I am enjoying it!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Rabite posted:

The idea that pro wrestling could at all inform the narrative beats of this fake boxing manga is not crazy.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
MAH GAWD THAT'S MAKUNOICHI IPPO'S ENTRANCE MUSIC

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rabite posted:

face and heel are broadly applicable terms to 'good guy' and 'bad guy', which several of takamura's matches have had in their narrative construction. relax

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The idea that pro wrestling could at all inform the narrative beats of this fake boxing manga is not crazy.

i dont watch wrestling so idk if its really the same thing but didnt we just have an arc where two masked wrestlers played a pretty big role

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

tbp posted:

i dont watch wrestling so idk if its really the same thing but didnt we just have an arc where two masked wrestlers played a pretty big role

Yes we did. Luchador is just a style of pro wrestling from Mexico with mythology and such around the masks.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
All 75 original Ippo episodes plus Champion Road are on Crunchyroll in 2 hours, dub and sub, plus Rising sub's been on there
https://www.crunchyroll.com/hajime-no-ippo-the-fighting

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1331

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
One final dick joke before the fight

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

One final dick joke before the fight

Penis envy is Takamura's real source of power

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1332
Another detour on the way to Takamura's match, but at least this one is not filler?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That boxer and trainer are real people.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Chapter 1333
Ahh I can't wait for the fight

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Chapter 1333
Ahh I can't wait for the fight

I'm more worried about Takamura exploding. It's also funny to see Ippo finally reflect on how he reacts to seeing Miyata.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

I'm more worried about Takamura exploding. It's also funny to see Ippo finally reflect on how he reacts to seeing Miyata.

It's just dog genitals all the way down...

e:
Also we appear to be officially diving into the Get Unretired Son arc of the series.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 14, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Oh yeah the hints they've been layering for Ippo is def a return to the ring premonition. His time off will have magically recovered his brain I'm sure.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or his newfound supernatural observation skills will finally allow him to... what's the word I'm looking for... dodge(?) punches. Like, what the gently caress Miyata, it should be EASIER to tell if someone is left handed by watching them in their daily lives :rolleyes:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Takes No Damage posted:

Or his newfound supernatural observation skills will finally allow him to... what's the word I'm looking for... dodge(?) punches. Like, what the gently caress Miyata, it should be EASIER to tell if someone is left handed by watching them in their daily lives :rolleyes:

Look man, if he can see the punches coming, it'll be much easier to tank the blow by pushing his head into it. That's just science

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Takes No Damage posted:

Remember Miyata is even more of a boxing nerd then Ippo.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

please look forward to ippo's 'micrododge' where he learns to specifically take blows on the very hardest parts of his head

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

please look forward to ippo's 'micrododge' where he learns to specifically take blows on the very hardest parts of his head

He already did that. It called a forehead block.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he has found harder parts

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the injured part of his brain has been replaced by more skull

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Oh yeah the hints they've been layering for Ippo is def a return to the ring premonition. His time off will have magically recovered his brain I'm sure.

The argument will assuredly be that his diagnosis was incorrect and he isn't punch drunk.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

didn't they set up that the diagnosis might be wrong immediately after the diagnosis? it's not exactly like morikawa would be pulling that out of his rear end

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Patware posted:

didn't they set up that the diagnosis might be wrong immediately after the diagnosis? it's not exactly like morikawa would be pulling that out of his rear end

Pretty much.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Patware posted:

The doctor didn't even give him a conclusive diagnosis to begin with. Ippo passed the punch drunk tests right after his last match so all the doctor could say was "well it LOOKED dangerous.".

I don't know what's gonna annoy me more: Ippo getting back into the ring, or the asspulls Morikawa is gonna have to use so that we're not waiting numerous real life years before Ippo actually gets himself back to a ranking where he can fight Ricardo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Doctor said they can’t really detect Punch Drunkenness until it actually happens currently. He said the signs were there that he is close to the threshold but it could be theoretically recovered from with enough of a break, but the doctor did not recommend continuing as it’s best to retire before it happens if you are seeing signs.

Like it was implied that he just had not recovered enough from the loss to Alf to fight again so soon.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 15, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
to think that all this time Takamura's brother was an executive at Bandai and is now gifting his rambunctious little bro with a gunpla-based entrance attire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

The doctor didn't even give him a conclusive diagnosis to begin with. Ippo passed the punch drunk tests right after his last match so all the doctor could say was "well it LOOKED dangerous.".

I don't know what's gonna annoy me more: Ippo getting back into the ring, or the asspulls Morikawa is gonna have to use so that we're not waiting numerous real life years before Ippo actually gets himself back to a ranking where he can fight Ricardo.

eh you don't really have to rear end pull. plenty of folks "retire" after a loss and come back and fight someone in the top 10 and regain rank... or lose again embarrassingly. once you have a name you can pretty much fight whomever.